Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Song of Ice and Fire appreciation/discussion thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if this is allowed here, but I've got a pimp for anyone who's got an LJ (or would be interested in getting one to discuss ASoIaF... ):

There are a bunch of communities on LJ for people who want to discuss and stay up-to-date on ASoIaF, but there's been a recent push to have a more interactive part of the fandom, much like how the HP fandom (almost literally) exploded. TO that end, westerosorting was created, sorting people into one of seven Great Houses (Greyjoy, Lannister, Martell, Stark, Targaryen, Tully, Tyrell), and setting up various sub-communities for families and tournaments and discussion and just all-around ASoIaF love.

And, well, for the sake of honesty, the first tourney challenge was to recruit more people. So if you do head over there and decide to participate, do mention that ender839 of House Tully sent you.

(Seriously, if this isn't kosher, I'll be happy to delete it. I thought that there might be people around here who weren't aware of such an awesome opportunity to squee and be part of another fandom.)
    I'm up for it! I'm a little confused, what do I do- join the community, then do I copy that survey, make a new post and I get voted on?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      I'm up for it! I'm a little confused, what do I do- join the community, then do I copy that survey, make a new post and I get voted on?
      Exactly right. Your post won't show up immediately - so as not to backlog all the other sortings - but you've got the process exactly right. It would also not be a bad idea to glance over some of the other application posts to see what sorts of things worked; for example, here's mine. And you don't have to worry about not being sorted - everyone who's applied thus far has been sorted.
      Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
        Exactly right. Your post won't show up immediately - so as not to backlog all the other sortings - but you've got the process exactly right. It would also not be a bad idea to glance over some of the other application posts to see what sorts of things worked; for example, here's mine. And you don't have to worry about not being sorted - everyone who's applied thus far has been sorted.
        Thanks!

Comment

The Dance goes ever on and on...I've gone through all of the analysis articles on towerofthehand.com and it no longer slakes my thirst for information. Jon's parentage: settled question. Coldhands: still waaaay open. 'The dragon has three heads': 2.5 out of 3 (or 83.3% sure)
          I'm sure some of you have heard about the 'GRRM hates fanfic' arguments from the last two weeks, but this piece on io9 laid down something I hadn't though of: http://io9.com/5535558/is-fan-fiction-really-so-wrong
          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
          Caboose: They could be worse?
          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

The Dance goes ever on and on...I've gone through all of the analysis articles on towerofthehand.com and it no longer slakes my thirst for information. Jon's parentage: settled question. Coldhands: still waaaay open. 'The dragon has three heads': 2.5 out of 3 (or 83.3% sure)
            I'm sure some of you have heard about the 'GRRM hates fanfic' arguments from the last two weeks, but this piece on io9 laid down something I hadn't though of: http://io9.com/5535558/is-fan-fiction-really-so-wrong
            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
            Caboose: They could be worse?
            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

really liked this series, jon snow is my fav character pov, i missed him in a feast for crows.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                really liked this series, jon snow is my fav character pov, i missed him in a feast for crows.
                He should be in the next book, A Dance with Dragons. It was originally supposed to be just one book, but he split it out into 2, Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons. Of course, Dance was supposed to be released in 2009, and it doesn't look like GRRM is even close to finishing it either
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                  He should be in the next book, A Dance with Dragons. It was originally supposed to be just one book, but he split it out into 2, Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons. Of course, Dance was supposed to be released in 2009, and it doesn't look like GRRM is even close to finishing it either
                  Yeah its been awhile since ive heard anything about a dance with dragons coming out. I hate when that happens, an author starts a series and takes forever to finish it while writing other non- series related books in between.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah its been awhile since ive heard anything about a dance with dragons coming out. I hate when that happens, an author starts a series and takes forever to finish it while writing other non- series related books in between.
                    At least we have the HBO series to look forward to. That will probably air before the new book is released.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                      At least we have the HBO series to look forward to. That will probably air before the new book is released.
                      sadly i don't have hbo but theyll probably have it on itunes or something. when is that series supposed to air anyway?
                      sigpic

Comment

sadly i don't have hbo but theyll probably have it on itunes or something. when is that series supposed to air anyway?
                        Air date is currently supposed to be in 2011 like in March or April. Of course nothing is for certain. It will be on iTunes and Netflix for sure as with all shows these days.
                        sigpic

Comment

Think I'm probably the only one that didn't like this series? Found it too dark/borderline drag and the politics too silly. Then again I find all politics too silly. Wheel of Time was good for like the first four books or three and the latest one. He won't kill off dragon chick. Invested too much time in the characters, unlike the ones he has already killed off. Can't believe he made her lesbian (yes I know, not fully), million bucks say he won't write the opposite angle of a male gay character, so I just think that it was some "guy fantasy" thing. I'm a guy and I didn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                            Think I'm probably the only one that didn't like this series?
                            I doubt you are, you'd be hard pressed to find a series that everyone likes.

Found it too dark/borderline drag and the politics too silly. Then again I find all politics too silly.
                            I liked the feel and tone of the series. Sometimes the politics did get ridiculous, but not enough to derail the story.

He won't kill off dragon chick
                            Good, Dany is one of my favourite characters

Invested too much time in the characters, unlike the ones he has already killed off.
                            This is why I really liked it. Each main character is outlined in so much detail. You know why they act the way they do. Its what I really enjoyed about the series.

Can't believe he made her lesbian (yes I know, not fully), million bucks say he won't write the opposite angle of a male gay character, so I just think that it was some "guy fantasy" thing. I'm a guy and I didn't like it.
                            With all the craziness that happens in the book it didn't surprise me. I wouldn't call it a guy fantasy just because of that.
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah, its not everyones thing. It can get pretty dark and twisted at times, and thers lots of intricate politics going on trying to figure out who is allied with who and who is backstabbing who, and what not.
                              sigpic

Comment

I think when you spend 16 or more years writing the same series of books it gets a little tiring. I think he's just bored. Let's not forget that before this Martin was mostly a short story teller.

Originally posted by GateofDOOM View Post
                                Truly we think alike!
                                When I was reading these I always checked ahead to see the next time Jon, or Jaime would have a chapter. I also checked ahead for Bran's chapters.

I'm gonna have to add my vote of ASoIaF being better than WoT. I felt that Eye of the World was basically a re-write of Sword of Shannara and although I enjoyed the first five books (particularly three!) I kind of fell of for me after that (The Crossroads one was absolutely terrible IMO) and I don't think I'll bother to finish. (Yeah I know it's just one more book. I'm lazy, shoot me).
                                Spoiler:
                                Besides my favourite character died in five ( )and Rand got annoying, even though I knew it was pretty realistic; the arrogance and what have you. So...yeah

I do intend to finish ASoIaF, eventually, but I'm not going to bother until he's done writing. (What can I say? Cliffhangers kill me, I can't wait any longer!). I haven't even read the fourth one...A feast for Crows?

...I guess Harry Potter put me off waiting for sequels. It was half my life!
                                Martin should be finished with the series in 2020 or so. You can finish A Feast for Crows then along with the last two books.

Comment

Working...
                                X