Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imo
    Ok back to Serenity it is
    I've been looking at the ship debates on the net and I was wondering if anyone here thinks Jayne/River would have had something? I know its a sick and twisted idea, but Joss does have that kind of mind
    I don't think it's that sick or twisted...
    It's so bizarre... it could work... but that's coming from a Sam/Thor shipper

People can change... and they do say that opposites attract... All of Firefly's potential romances are pairings of opposites...
    And there is no couple more opposite than Jayne and River...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Yeah I see it as the whole bid dumb bloke with the tiny genius, and they both are trained killers. He may just become the protector, but I'm not that sure, I don't think River needs much phisical protection, maybe emotional.

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
      DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

I don't know. River and Jayne could maybe get together, but I don't think it would get super romantic. They'd have to take it slowly.
        YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

A new series is incredibly unlikely. From what I understand, Fox has the rights to a new series for ten years after the last film is made, and it's really unlikely that Joss Whedon will want to work with Fox again.
          Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
          Last update: 14 April 2006
          Melyanna's Multimedia
          Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
            It took me a while to realise that they were speaking Mandarin... the only one I caught the first time round was what Wash said after spitting out the "mudder's milk"...
            "Zhe shi she me lan dong xi?" Literally... "What is this horrible thing?" or as English speakers would say... "What the *beep* is this?"
            lol I know! I finally figured out they were speaking manderin when Inara said "ching jin" to Book. I was like...wait that's chinese for "come in". So I had to go back to listen to what else they were saying before. LOL

The actual words are okay but as Blue has said... the pronunciation is really bad... But as you may know, Chinese/Mandarin is tonal... and any change in tones changes the meaning. I'm happy Joss picked Chinese but he did pick a difficult one for his actors even on a good day.
            The dialect coach let them off easy...
            lol I agree the dialect coach did let them off easy. But I don't love the show any less. And some of the Chinese Joss pick were difficult. I don't think I would use some of the longer insults in my every day chinese language. At least "Holy mother and her wacky nephews" doesn't come to mind when I'm outraged. LOL
            ~Athena

Comment

If it is hugely sucessful, as in total box office smash and Fox goes crawling back, maybe Joss can set certain conditions... I'm being optimistic.

But a sequel would be good, probably better. It'll give time for the actors to do other projects as well as Joss to think the plot through.

As for River and Jayne, I'm not sure... she's too incomplete. If they had a couple more years, why not. I can see him turning around to be the protector type, but not as a romantic partner. Hello, romance from the man that said 'that's why I never kiss them on the mouth'.

Comment

I don't think Joss wants to go back to a series at this point. From comments he's made at cons and in interviews, he's found that he likes making movies a lot. And as you said, not doing a series frees up nine very talented actors for other projects between movies.
                Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                  lol I know! I finally figured out they were speaking manderin when Inara said "ching jin" to Book. I was like...wait that's chinese for "come in". So I had to go back to listen to what else they were saying before. LOL
                  lol I agree the dialect coach did let them off easy. But I don't love the show any less. And some of the Chinese Joss pick were difficult. I don't think I would use some of the longer insults in my every day chinese language. At least "Holy mother and her wacky nephews" doesn't come to mind when I'm outraged. LOL
                  Even in English that one's good. What's the phonetic pronunciation for "holy mother..." etc in Mandarin. I might try it out at work...

Comment

What was the context of "Holy Mother of God and all her wacky nephews"? I seem to remember it being in Our Mrs. Reynolds, when Wash realizes that Saffron's coming on to him. He was mostly babbling in that scene.
                    Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Here's the link to the Firefly Pinyinary...
                      http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/index.html

It is pretty extensive although I have a few quibbles with a couple of translations.

Mandarin is a relatively refined language and even when some one makes an exclaimation of sorts, it doesn't sound all that bad. But when they refer to body parts... well... it's rude in any language...
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                        Nobody does... I've never heard anyone say it...
                        Maybe I run in slightly different circles

"Zao gao" is probably the most I've heard people say.. or "Shi ding" (Literally... dead for certain) "Ta ma de" is considered extremely vulgar. "Wo de tian" is another... and of course there are all the anatomical references.
                        sigpic

Comment

Useful! Though the English is easier to remember for this little vegemite...

Comment

Briefly switching back to Jayne/River, has anyone ever read the fanfic "Delta Rain"? It's archived @ Fanfiction.net. I think the author handles both their charachters well, and the way it was written, it didn't seem all that farfetched. I really liked it.
                            YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

I don't read Firefly fic. It's like Babylon 5 for me: complete. I don't feel the need to explore beyond what's there.

Comment

Here's a link to the script for what would have been the 15th ep of Firefly Dead or Alive
                                It's not really clear weather it would have been filmed or was just a discarded script, but I just love the turtle

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                                DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Working...
                                X