Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aurora1101 View Post
    Hey Alan!

When I said "they" I meant her clients. Well, the one guy at that party in particular. He may have wanted her as his full time companion, but he still felt Inara was beneath him. At least from the way he treated her afterwards, that's the impression I got.

So by her being on Serenity, it brings respectablility, however, her actual job is not respectable. This is where I'm a bit confused
    Companions are respectable. By having Inara on board Serenity, Mal had a respected business being run from his ship which gave him an air of respectability. Inara's client in Shindig was a repeat client and I don't think he'd treated Inara that way before but was trying to "ruffle his feathers" in front of Mal. But because of the way he treated Inara, as she said, he would not be able to hire a companion again so his behavior was not acceptable. My guess is that his character felt most people were beneath him, not just Inara, but perhaps Inara in particular. This was probably the first time he'd let her see that, though. That's my impression of the episode, anyway.
    sigpic
    ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

I am loving all of the interest among the newbies. Its so great to see that this show still has so much staying power.

So as someone who watched it when it first aired if I can answer any questions I would love to.

As for the episodes airing out of order, Fox didn't like the pilot. Felt it was too long and didn't have enough action. So they made the stupid decision to air them out of order showing The Train Job as the first episode. Was really dumb because the promos they ran made a big deal about a girl in a box (River) and then you watch the show and she is up and about and not in a box. In fact if I am not mistaken I think the actual pilot Serenity was the last ep aired.

I think most have hit upon Inara's social status. Being a companion was a respectable profession. I just don't think Mal felt the same way. I think he thought selling herself was beneath Inara no matter what the rules of society declared.

Any thing else? I still love discussing this show.

Comment

Looks like folks are at least up to Shindig. So, here's a couple pics. Spoiler'd for size.

Serenity parts1&2
        Spoiler:

The Train Job
        Spoiler:

Bushwacked
        Spoiler:

Shindig
        Spoiler:

Comment

Wonderful! Thanks!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
            well as I didn't watch when it was first on and I am only starting to watch them now I have very little that I can go on I know that I love Kaylee she is just too cute and how can you dislike someone that cheerful and I find Jayne (that is how he spells it right) is so freaken funny I have seen up to Shindig and there is at least one ep after that I have seen I just don't know the names of eps yet.
            Cool! I'm not the only one new to this fandom. Yay!
            I'm liking all the characters. I guess if I had to pick a favorite right now, it would be Mal.

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
            Looks like folks are at least up to Shindig. So, here's a couple pics. Spoiler'd for size.

Serenity parts1&2
            Spoiler:

The Train Job
            Spoiler:

Bushwacked
            Spoiler:

Shindig
            Spoiler:

Nice pics. I loved Inara's dress in Shindig. So pretty
            sigpic
            Thanks to Dunc for my pretty aurora and Muse sig. He had no part in the Twilight one

Comment

Pics from Safe

Spoiler:

And... the Big Damn Heroes (ain't we just!)

Comment

Cool! I'm not the only one new to this fandom. Yay!
                I'm liking all the characters. I guess if I had to pick a favorite right now, it would be Mal.

Nice pics. I loved Inara's dress in Shindig. So pretty
                Hi to a fellow newbie. I like Mal too really they are all such great characters

okay I have now seen all the eps and the movie (such a good movie)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
                  Hi to a fellow newbie. I like Mal too really they are all such great characters

okay I have now seen all the eps and the movie (such a good movie)
                  Hello!

It's been almost a week since I've watched Shindig. I hope to watch the next episode this weekend. It's taking me longer to watch than I thought. Maybe that's a good thing, though, since there's only 14 episodes...
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Dunc for my pretty aurora and Muse sig. He had no part in the Twilight one

Comment

Hello!

It's been almost a week since I've watched Shindig. I hope to watch the next episode this weekend. It's taking me longer to watch than I thought. Maybe that's a good thing, though, since there's only 14 episodes...
                    Hi Aurora!

It's definitely a good thing that it's taking you longer to watch Firefly, IMHO. 14 episodes will soon be gone. Then there's the movie Serenity. After that...

Oh, and my favourite Firefly characters are Mal, Inara, Jayne, Kaylee, and River.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

I love all of the characters but my fave are Kaylee, River, Inara, Simon and Jayne
                      sigpic

Comment

I recently just saw them all again. Gotta love that series, i'll hunt down and kill who ever decided to cancel it lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

Finally - I watched the next episode of Firefly. In this case, it was Safe. It was interesting to get some backstory on Simon and River. I was surprised by their parents behavior at the end of the episode. Simon received the coded letters from River, obviously aware that something wasn't right with her, and yet, their parents didn't believe him or couldn't be bothered with helping her, it seemed. Obviously they were more worried about more important things, like dinner parties.

We also learn that River seems to have some type of psychic abilities. And that people in the future still believe in witches.

I'm hoping for more backstory on the other characters. It was interesting to get more information about River in this one, but I'd like to learn more about the other characters too.
                          sigpic

Comment

I've just watched the whole thing again in 3 days. Everything about this series was fantastic. I love all Joss Whedon's stuff. How are the people in charge so stupid as to cancel this series when it could have gone on for years?

Comment

Originally posted by kara58 View Post
                              I've just watched the whole thing again in 3 days. Everything about this series was fantastic. I love all Joss Whedon's stuff. How are the people in charge so stupid as to cancel this series when it could have gone on for years?
                              I totally agree. I had read somewhere that Joss Whedon is in the process of developing a new show. Has anyone heard anything about this?
                              sigpic

Comment

I totally agree. I had read somewhere that Joss Whedon is in the process of developing a new show. Has anyone heard anything about this?
                                I think so, Aurora. If it's what I'm thinking of then I believe it stars Eliza Dushku who played Faith in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Comment

Working...
                                X