Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serenity: Post-Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, I gave this film a watch, and perhaps I was expecting too much but I wasnt really impressed or blown away like I hoped after reading everyones comments and hearing how great it was. I think Joss Whedon is a great guy and a great writer but I guess this just didnt appeal to me. I felt it was well written and produced mind you, so I'll put this one in the "good, but not my cup of tea" category. I think, however my dissapoint may lie in that on flyers and posters I saw what looked like massive LOTR scale ground-based battles between those Reaver things and humans and there wasnt anything like that in the film.
    Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
    Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Ah, so now Universal likes us not so much.

http://www.slyck.com/story1334.html

Comment

So here I am to give my review of Serenity.

Spoiler:
        THAT MOVIE WAS FRAKKIN AWESOME.

It must have been confusing for all those who went to see it but have never seen Firefly before, musn't it? lol I thought that all of the references to the series were well met but like previously said, it must have confused some people.

My brother has seen Serenity and when I asked him if it was any good (before I had seen it) he replied 'yep, it's great!' and then I asked him 'So you've seen Firefly I take it?' and he said '....huh?.....what's Firefly?'

lol true story, they should make a sequel.

....a sequel to Serenity I mean.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I don't know anyone who saw Serenity without seeing Firefly who got confused.

Comment

I saw Serenity before i saw Firefly, and i wasnt all that confused by the movie. I can see why it would be better to see the show 1st though, as it gives good background info.
            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
              I saw Serenity before i saw Firefly, and i wasnt all that confused by the movie. I can see why it would be better to see the show 1st though, as it gives good background info.
              Did you see it at one of the Browncoat previews? I saw it three times, including the Melbourne Q&A with Joss.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks View Post
                Did you see it at one of the Browncoat previews? I saw it three times, including the Melbourne Q&A with Joss.
                No. I saw it before i even knew what a Browncoat was. I remember seeing the adds on tv while it was at the movies, and thought it sounded cool, but never got round to seeing it on the big screen. I ended up seeing it on dvd, and then got into the series a few months later, and havent looked back since
                Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks View Post
                  Ooh- that would have been so cool!

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                  No. I saw it before i even knew what a Browncoat was. I remember seeing the adds on tv while it was at the movies, and thought it sounded cool, but never got round to seeing it on the big screen. I ended up seeing it on dvd, and then got into the series a few months later, and havent looked back since
                  Didn't see it on the big screen either, which I really regret- I've only seen it on my crappy old tv.

Sad thing is that the movie was advertised, and advertised and advertised- I couldn't watch anything on SPACE without seeing a Serenity advert- and I thought it looked so cool! And then it was in theaters for like 2 seconds. Talk about let-down, if I'd seen it in theaters once, I probably would have gone at least twice more from liking it so much.

Comment

I have seen the film like three times now and i Love it. (Still don't understand they layout of the solar system they live in? I mean how many planets are there and how can they all be in the habitable zone? As they are all Earth like?). Anyways a great film with great charcters.

I have not seen the TV show yet but my Firefly loving friend is (hopefully ) letting me borrow them today! I can't wait!
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me
                    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

quick question. I saw FF a while ago, and just saw Serenity.

First, love the movie. If only it didn't stop

Second, why was River in a box on that first FF episode? Didn't they say she got shipped/smuggled out? Yet in the beginning of Serenity you see her getting out via that airlift along with Simon. Why was she in a box?

Comment

The beginning of Serenity shows how they escaped from the place where River was being held and in FF Simon was trying to smuggle her off the planet without anyone seeing her. So he stuck her in a box.

Comment

i watched this movie the other day- and it is brilliant.

Loved it when river killed all those reavers! Pity that wash died at the end though
                          Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
                          sigpic
                          sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

Originally posted by Team SG-1*save the show* View Post
                            i watched this movie the other day- and it is brilliant.

Loved it when river killed all those reavers! Pity that wash died at the end though
                            I am sure they felt like they had to kill someone off to show "the risk" of the mission but WHY Wash? Why not his wife she was boring.

However Jayne survived along with his hat there4 i am happy!

"Jayne!
                            The Man they call Jayne!
                            He robbed from the rich and he gave to the poor,
                            He stood up to the man and he gave him what for.
                            Our love for him now, aint hard to explain,
                            The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!"
                            sigpic
                            Banner Made By Me for Me
                            The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                              I am sure they felt like they had to kill someone off to show "the risk" of the mission but WHY Wash? Why not his wife she was boring.
                              The d*ath of a boring character won't make you sad. Not that I find Zoe boring...

Seen the movie 4 times and I love it; as well as the tvshow. I miss FF

my ships

Comment

I just saw the movie a couple of weeks and I had mixed feeling about the movie. I think as a movie by itself it is great but when you connect it to Firefly it has lost some of the feeling.

Pros
                                Good acting
                                Good CG
                                Good sets
                                Good rehash of the whole Firefly 'verse for people who never saw the show
                                Summer shows that she can cross her dancing with fighting look out Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen
                                So far I have not found any crew members show up on a fancy set in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts walk in the sence(Shindig Blooper)

Cons
                                To many changes to Serenity's look such as engine
                                Some of the story and character interactions didn't flow with the last episode
                                Some of the costuming lost the western feel and took a Sci-Fi feel
                                The lens and film grain was to clear unlike show so it lost show's feel
                                Characters where to physically clean and makeuped dirt at times looked like makeup

Mixed
                                Wash's death I didn't like but it did help add a feeling of how bad things are in the situation
                                Book's death I felt was to early in the flim
                                Make up could have been better to make main character's dirtier but the Revear's makeup was great
                                Last edited by Apollodragon; 01 September 2007, 11:34 PM.
                                -------------
                                "I'll be in my bunk," Jayne Cobb
                                "Indeed,"

Aftermath RP

SG1, Resurgence RP Daniel Jackson

Comment

Working...
                                X