Prepare for Starburst: A Farscape Rewatch Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've Got a Secret

jel is gonna say that I'm always pointing out the sex stuff...but seriously.....D'argo goes down one of Moya's shafts and hits some "PK Device" = Leviathian IUD? and all this Bio stuff explodes and gets on him = Some other Leviathian Sperm?? I mean and then we have Moya Pregnant? Way to go D....way to Knock Moya up!! LOL

But seriously, I loved this ep....I'm with Blue on the fact the DRD's just rock in this ep. Finally even they get some much needed screen time. I like that as Blue also said they even seem to turn on everyone and so even though we are in this Moya set ep ...there is so much excitement as we just don't know what's happening and everyone is at risk apparently. It's awesome how we can find out so much in this too with regard to D'argo's past...poor guy I loved how they wove that through this ep...and Blue - I like how you spoke to the foreshadowing of all this ground laying information they gave us in this ep. This again is nice to see now on the rewatch...knowing what's coming it. It's really interesting seeing how they did set this up.

This is the ep I really think John, as I mentioned in my last post, is really invading Aeryn's personal space. And I loved the bit where she is on his shoulders (how intimate) and she gets shocked and he get's it by proximity....and his comment..."Well we are connected" or something to that fact and he got it through the ears. LOL I mean again these little things are so shippy in my eyes...maybe not jel's eyes...but they are in mine!! So leave me alone.

Also, with John helping Aeryn wash her hand and all that...similar to the eye thing with Giliana (good analogy Blue!).

Sorry I will admit once I start in the shippy mode it's hard to get back on track, but I did love all the D'argo elements and YES! *sniff* Moya's Pregnant!!
    Originally posted by jelgate
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

They've got a secret

Again a story I forgot and thus pleasantly surprised about the topic.

They clearly don't have ladders cause why else is Aeryn in John's neck.

Also, loved the scene in the hallway when she's stuck to the floor and calling out to Crighton to hurry up already, and then when he's taking his sweet time to remove the gunk.

Backstory for D'Argo - nice touch to the episode but I felt like it was disconnected from the Moya-story. Both secrets perhaps but that's where the similarity stops. I felt it was out of place.

The DRD's going rogue in order to protect Moya's infant -- love those little fellas!
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Bluemeany View Post
        So…I didn’t accidentally watch the wrong episode yesterday, not at all. I’m just going to skip over a full review of DNA Mad Scientist for…reasons…
        You don't have to explain yourself. You also don't have to be rigid to the schedule. If you don't want to review an episode that is fine, but don't skip just because you didn't have time on a Saturday to review.
        ‘They’ve got a Secret’

Last episode most of the crew turned on each other. Now the bloody ship’s at it too! I love that about Farscape, everyone and everything has their own agenda.
        Agreed, but also I would say that as time goes on the characters (especially the old ones) are willing to care about others besides their own agenda. Even Rygel to a smaller degree
        For the record, my favourite characters go in this order: Aeryn, Crichton, Pilot…the DRDs! I have such a soft spot for the DRDs. They are adorable. Hundreds of little psychotic ones only more so.
        A lot of my favorite characters don't show up yet. One of my favorites was Nooranti. At the risk of arguing with you and SQ, Aeryn is one of my least favorites. I love the DRDs and their uniqueness they bring to a show. I don't know I would call them character, except for maybe 1812.
        Anyone else think that sometimes this felt like a ‘set-up’ episode? There’s a lot of information in this we need re. D’Argo’s backstory, breathing in space and Moya’s pregnancy that’s important for later story arcs. I don’t know though, maybe you only get that impression re-watching…
        Definitely. It sets up the story arc of the Moya pregnancy and then the story arc of the offspring. It also sets up the story of D'Argo's son which plays a crucial role in the back half of S2.
        But this is a ‘locked down’ episode: there’s no guest cast and it’s entirely Moya based (with the brief exception of the unplanned spacewalk at the beginning, but I don’t think that counts).
        Its called a bottle episode. It uses already established sets and people to save money. No location shots. Limited special and visual effects save money. Some people dislike them but if the story is there I don't really care. I don't know if you are a Star Trek fan or not but one of my favorite Trek episode is a bottle episode
        Similarly, from an editing pov there are very few action/moving scenes ( D’Argo being flushed and the DRDs trying to kill Crichton being the exception) and the CGI is kind of static. It's telling that Aeryn’s main ‘in- peril’ scene involves her being literally stuck to the floor unable to move. Compared to most Farscape it’s a very still episode.
        I love how always feel compelled to mention editing even when their is nothing to tell. Its probably because this episode had few effects.
        That said D’Argo’s trippin’ is a way at least to try and ‘show’ rather than ‘tell’ all his emotional baggage and backstory. And I like that his approach to ship maintenance seems to be hit it very hard.
        It would probably be boring for D'Argo to have a monologue about his life. Something he has been hiding. At first I think hitting is all D'Argo knows. I like how this episode does demonstrate through the hallucinations that their was a time when that wouldn't describe D'Argo
        But the most important part of the episode: Moya is having a baby!
        Agreed. That revelation is an important arc for 3 seasons
        I liked the foreshadowing
        Spoiler:
        between D’Argo’s half peacekeeper, half Luxan son and Moya’s hybrid baby.
        I don't know I would call it foreshadowing. Especially the part about Moya's baby. At this point nothing indicates something is wrong with it
        Aeryn’s assurance at the end that, despite her view that inter species relationships are evil, she will keep Jothree a secret
        Spoiler:
        is later born out in her protective relationship to Talyn. And (although it’s a long way ahead) in her relationship with Crichton and little D’Argo.
        That is probably Aeryn's character arc. A lot of the Peacekeeper propaganda has no basis in fact.
        My two favourite lines in this episode actually are both Aeryn’s, The first one is her line to Crichton that there is still death and suffering in space, just in new ways.
        I think its a comparison to real life. We fight disease and war and people and disease still find new ways to kills
        The second is when she’s about to sever Moya’s higher functions she says ‘This isn’t my decision alone. If we do this, we all have to be a part of it’. She is viewing Moya as a living creature and wants to be collectively sure that they are doing the right thing.
        I saw it as a team aspect of her maturing. She starts to realize she is not alone anymore. This was a team episode
        Oh, and following on from PK Tech's ‘I have something in my eye’ routine, I notice the old ‘injured hand touching' also seems to be something of flirting universal.
        Don't give SQ any ideas.
        Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
        @Blue - I liked that you caught that NamTar's name backwards was Rat Man....WOW good eye!! I would have to agree with you that we could sum up DNA Mad Scientist as a great big Monster Theme! I wish I would've used that! DANG! Aeryn's transformation was the manifestation of that theme so maybe that is why the writers chose to really write D'argo and Zhaan so monster like. I think I can deal with it better now...thanks!
        I thought it was a good catch. Lets green the newbie for it. The Aeryn makeup is to personify Rat Man (). He is a monster creating a monster. Kind of like the Frankenstein.
        And if you overlay the way in which D and Zhaan handled the amputation of Pilots arm with How Aeryn handled the severing of Moya's higher connections it's literally 180 degrees different. Great that you pointed out that Aeryn basically asked persmission from the whole group and made sure there was a consensus first.
        Agreed. I think that is why I had such a hard time with the DNA B plot. At this point in the show D'Argo and Aeryn are similar in their warrior mentality. And Zhaan is leagues above them with her peace mentality. Its hard to swallow that an episode makes them radically different.
        It's really interesting how much more you can see in a rewatch ...just how deliberate the writers were with each episode and how you may not be able to catch all that the first time through. I am not a huge fan of re-watching shows because I have so little time and there is so much I want to do ....but this series is so worth it as I really think there is so much art and thoughtfulness that went into each ep.
        Think how much better it will be when we get to episodes we remember vividly. It might take me hours to watch Wait for the Wheel. I had the same problem with time which is why I suggested only 2 episodes a week. Summer makes it easy now but I know it will be harder come fall.
        @jel - regarding our Triple BS Like Blue mentioned up there...can we at least agree that there were shipping overtones in DNA Mad Scientist? Ok so maybe no full on shipping, but overtones!! I love how close John gets to Aeryn. Just notice that. It's especially becoming more and more evident as the series progresses that John literally enters Aeryn's personal space all the time and she doesn't seem to mind.
        Depends how you want to define overtones. I can call groundwork since what John did he would do for any of his friends. And for the ship to happen their needs to be friendship first
        They've Got a Secret

jel is gonna say that I'm always pointing out the sex stuff...but seriously.....D'argo goes down one of Moya's shafts and hits some "PK Device" = Leviathian IUD? and all this Bio stuff explodes and gets on him = Some other Leviathian Sperm?? I mean and then we have Moya Pregnant? Way to go D....way to Knock Moya up!! LOL
        I would probably let it go this time considering the whole story is about Moya being pregnant. I won't tell you the creepy thoughts I had the first time I watched this episode. How do the ships even conceive? Where is my barf bucket?
        But seriously, I loved this ep....I'm with Blue on the fact the DRD's just rock in this ep. Finally even they get some much needed screen time. I like that as Blue also said they even seem to turn on everyone and so even though we are in this Moya set ep ...there is so much excitement as we just don't know what's happening and everyone is at risk apparently. It's awesome how we can find out so much in this too with regard to D'argo's past...poor guy I loved how they wove that through this ep...and Blue - I like how you spoke to the foreshadowing of all this ground laying information they gave us in this ep. This again is nice to see now on the rewatch...knowing what's coming it. It's really interesting seeing how they did set this up.
        That happens so many times on Farscape. They are trapped on Moya with something terrible is happening. The D'Argo story was my favorite part. Gave insight into past actions IMO.
        This is the ep I really think John, as I mentioned in my last post, is really invading Aeryn's personal space. And I loved the bit where she is on his shoulders (how intimate) and she gets shocked and he get's it by proximity....and his comment..."Well we are connected" or something to that fact and he got it through the ears. LOL I mean again these little things are so shippy in my eyes...maybe not jel's eyes...but they are in mine!! So leave me alone.
        I knew you would call that. I even mentioned it in my review. Pay up.
        Also, with John helping Aeryn wash her hand and all that...similar to the eye thing with Giliana (good analogy Blue!).
        Washing hands is shipping?
        Sorry I will admit once I start in the shippy mode it's hard to get back on track, but I did love all the D'argo elements and YES! *sniff* Moya's Pregnant!! [/QUOTE]
        This we can agree. I know. I'm shocked too
        Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        They've got a secret

Again a story I forgot and thus pleasantly surprised about the topic.
        I remembered this one because it starts some arcs
        They clearly don't have ladders cause why else is Aeryn in John's neck.
        This brings a question, how the frell do they go up We know Moya has multiple levels but I don't think it even says how the crew goes up the levels
        Also, loved the scene in the hallway when she's stuck to the floor and calling out to Crighton to hurry up already, and then when he's taking his sweet time to remove the gunk.
        SQ would probably says he is taking so long because of shippy reasons. I mean the obvious reason was because of the toxicity Zhaan mentioned, but lets go with shippy.
        Backstory for D'Argo - nice touch to the episode but I felt like it was disconnected from the Moya-story. Both secrets perhaps but that's where the similarity stops. I felt it was out of place.
        I think I disagree. It adds a layer to the problem of Moya. D'Argo knows more then they do about Moya's problem but he is hallucinating due to hypoxia. Did anyone notice how John went to CPR which apparently doesn't work on Luxans
        The DRD's going rogue in order to protect Moya's infant -- love those little fellas!
        Who doesn't love the DRDs?
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

@jel - ok ok ...*gives him 10 food cubes* what are those anyway? They sort of look like chocolate graham crackers but John (and this was one of my favorite quotes) says..."but you don't have chocolate" I found myself saying AMEN to that one!

And yeah of course it's shippy reasons for why Crichton takes so long and Aeryn has to yell out his name to the hill tops It shows just how much in that moment she needs him.

Comment

@jel - ok ok ...*gives him 10 food cubes* what are those anyway?
            According to some sources on the Replica Prop Forum they are colored bits of tofu and chinese haw flakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              According to some sources on the Replica Prop Forum they are colored bits of tofu and chinese haw flakes.
              *Adopts Homer Simpson voice* Mmmm… coloured bits of tofu and Chinese haw flakes…mmmm. Seriously though, that can’t taste good.

I thought it was a good catch. Lets green the newbie for it. The Aeryn makeup is to personify Rat Man ( ). He is a monster creating a monster. Kind of like the Frankenstein
              To be fair, I only noticed when I came to post, not when watching. I think if you write it down it jumps out at you.

Although I do like well thought out names, particularly Dickensian style ones that give you an idea of what the character is like.

!!!Wild speculation and over analysis alert!!!
              Any one got any ideas re. Moya’s crew and why they’re called what they are? Here’s mine:

John Crichton: most probably after the ‘Admirable Crichton’, the castaway in JM Barrie’s novel ‘cause he gets stranded in a distant place and has a can do attitude. Also makes his initials J.C…
              Spoiler:
              with the whole sacrificial dying, getting resurrected, bringing about Armageddon thing.

Aeryn Sun: sort of a wordplay on Aryan (i.e. all her assumptions of genealogical purity and peacekeeper superiority). But her full name is also a homophone for ‘Air and Sun’ – kind of elemental and also key to Crichton’s life and survival ( see Jel, even the names are a ship-fest )

Zhaan: kind of sounds like Zen. She’s all chilled out ( for the most part) and like a Buddhist monk.

D’Argo: After Jason’s ship ‘The Argo’ and its crew the Argonauts in Greek mythology – all big, strong, heroic manly men who are loyal friends of the hero.

Rygel: slight word play on ‘regal/regent’ given his royal backstory. Also space-theme with the big blue star Rigel in Orion’s belt. I think he’s probably Rygel XVI because of Louis XVI of France who is so indulgent it gets him deposed.

Pilot: doesn’t really need analysis this one

Moya: kind of sounds maternal: mother/mama, although a quick search on baby name meanings tells me it means either ‘bitter’ or ‘to swell’ i.e. pregnant. I do know Moya is also the inner structure of Japanese wood houses, kind of like the framework, so maybe it’s after that?

Chiana: not sure... there’s an Italian region called Chiana I think, so maybe this is just a case of ‘writer looks at Atlas’.

Stark: because he’s stark raving mad.

Comment

Moya is also a place on Gran Canaria.

Comment

interesting on the names...haven't really given it that much thought.

Comment

Ok Folks, I know that I'm early but I have a graduation party to throw this Saturday so I'm gonna post my thoughts on
                    Til The Blood Runs Clear However, because my review is posted early I am placing it in Spoiler tags so that you can wait to click on it when it's time. *puts on goggles*
                    Spoiler:

This ep was all about Power Struggle for dominance (Alpha Male) and submission and the delicate dance that John uses with regard to this.
                    So I wanted to really focus my review on the various relationships we encounter in this ep and just how dominance and submissiveness plays out in each.

Aeryn and John
                    So this is the first "date" that John and Aeryn go on, as evidence by John's quip to Pilot that "Don't worry we'll be home in time for dinner". Yeah I know jel will say that means nothing but still. At first I thought they were in Aeryn's Prowler because Aeryn was "driving" and I think it was an interesting move that John had Aeryn driving. My take on that for why John concedes to Aeryn cuz he thinks she's the better pilot. I think this was established in the pilot...hahaha that she has had much more indepth training in this area being a Peacekeeper all her life so quite naturally she has had more flight hours. John at best maybe has had 4 to 5 years possibly depending on when he started his flying but actual space craft flight (in zero gravity conditions) Is probably something that John hasn't had a lot of real world practice outside of simulation training. So John has Aeryn flying his module (geez that sounded dirty ) Anyway so notice that John though is a pretty horrible back seat driver, he keeps flipping the buttons back after Aeryn switches them and he fails to respond to her "commands" when she tells him to back away from wormhole. Aeryn becomes very put off by John's hesitancy and becomes very annoyed and to some degree hurt by his hesitation. Hence why we see Aeryn later giving him a raft of ****e about him flying solo next time, as well as Aeryn's consideration at Crais' amnesty offer.
                    She really wants to engage with John and try to be happy eking out whatever life she could have with him and the others but she now realizes that John's number one goal is still to get home. Silly boy, when will John start to accept that this is his new home? Hmmm interesting maybe after this ep when he finds out that once the solar flare activity dies down it will not resume again for another 5 cycles (years) conveniently giving them enough time to do a proper 5 season series. AWESOME! So seriously if the executives of Sci Fi channel didn't feel the pressure now they should've!

So John and Aeryn did this dance of oh yeah she is my Female and John barked some order at her telling her to get in line. Aeryn didn't balk at that which was surprising...but she knew it was what acting was required to get them out of that situation. Later in her private discussions with John she did question him and his message about her automatically being considered the subordinate merely because she was female, was telling in that she didn't argue and John demonstrated here that those were not his rules, making it clear to Aeryn that John doesn't have issue with her taking the lead when it makes sense to do so and that he considers Aeryn an equal. This dance between them is so interesting to watch throughout the series in how well they learn each other's strengths and then allowing each other to lead when it makes the most sense. They are learning their place with one another.

which brings me to John's other relationship:
                    John and D'Argo
                    It was actually very interesting that they had to spell it out for the audience. Like we couldn't figure out that is what John and D have been doing from the start, vying for who will be the Alpha Male. It's clear this has been going on for quite some time with my blade is bigger than your blade business and as they are talking this out it's hilarious this shot below is just at the right angle to show D's rather large Qualta Blade sticking out just at the right spot...to....um......erm.....be you know that one particular body part.

*giggles*

But I loved this scene between them and the agreement they form on mutual respect to be allies:

this is a HUGE step in their relationship for now and gee it only took them 11 episodes.

Ok so again jel will think I'm always quick to point out the sexual tones but come on Photogasms?
                    Zhaan and Solar Flares
                    I never really realize just how sexual this show is. And they do it in such a way that it's not over the top or in your face. You just have to giggle at Zhaan in this ep and Rygel's reaction to her nakedness. Another great way for the writers to uncover glimpses of our characters and what makes them tick and their strengths and weaknesses and compulsions. LOL Gotta love it. Also, loved the thing that Zhaan did on the planet that concealed her scent and made her somewhat "invisible" to the bounty hunters. I didn't remember she had such an ability and don't even know if you ever see her using that again?? I can't remember but Go Zhaan! Way to not get captured like D did. I was somewhat annoyed that they had to "park" so far away from the city forcing this trek across the seemingly Tatooine like scape of the planet, which was cool but I seriously get Star Wars vibes from this.

John and Furlow
                    Ok Furlow? Fur and Low? Ok blue....do your name analysis here! hahahahaha this Female is questionably female by the sight of her so they had to tell so in her name? *snort*

I don't know how this "man chick" could be considered one of the best mechanics when all she did was sit and puff on a cigar the whole time. I guess she just orders her crew everything done. Here's another interesting "female" that has learned to operate quite powerfully in this seemingly male dominated planet. There is nothing submissive about this female and she commands an entire army of service men apparently. I think it's interesting again they chose to cast this character as a big brute of a woman to once again place the gender roles upside down and it's quite effective. This is what I love about this show. So John's relationship between Furlow was in the end about mutual respect. He had to use his trump card. But this proved critical for laying the ground work for something more later as he actually told her after giving her all the data that in five years he was basically gonna look her up again. So hmmmm that proves to be an interesting promise ...so we'll see.

All in all I loved this ep. It was set on location a very Star Wars-y Tatooine desert planet and I loved the need for the goggles (which John seemed to dismiss when it was necessary) and the fact they weren't some really sleek cool sunglasses, but dorky almost steampunkish goggles This again adds to the charm of this show. This ep was another great character ep establishing relationship boundaries and lines of mutual respect were drawn.

Comment

Til the Blood Runs Clear

This is probably one of my least favorite episodes of the seasons. Their are some nice touching moments in the episode and some nice character developments (We'll get there in a second). Besides that this episode just feels flat to me. The blood trackers and the bounty put on D'Argo, Zhaan, and Rygel seems like a forced attempt to structure a story when their is none. Some of the characters are out of character to force moments. I'm not sure why they made Aeryn go blind or why Zhaan was on the planet in the first place. Although speaking of Zhaan, I loved the pure joy she experiences with intense sun activity. I found the private message Crais had to Aeryn interesting. To me it showcases that still their is a part of her who longs to return to the Peackeepers. The one shinning moment of this episode is that it ends the bickering between D'Argo and John ends. SQ is so obsessed with the romantic pairing of John and Aeryn () but I have always been drawn to the friendship between D'Argo and John. I do think they become friends by the series ends. This episode develops them as no longer antagonists but as D'Argo put it as allies which I think is crucial to the characters as friends. You ever feel they dropped the ball on wormholes in this episode? They establish how John created the wormhole in the pilot but it seems like later episodes go in a different direction in how wormholes exist. I will say this. This episode does cement John's obsession. Sorry I don't have more to say but I don't care for this episode
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Til the Blood Runs Clear

The alpha male posturing between Crichton and D’Argo has been a subtext arc since the pilot. This episode brings the theme out into the open in a very direct way that sometimes borders on the unsubtle (see SQ’s post above re. the positioning of the sword ).

It’s not even really about leadership/who’s in charge. It’s about respect and not losing face.

Not so much a power struggle as an ego struggle. And I find Aeryn’s position in it interesting. She’s totally a contender for Moya team leader, but D’Argo and Crichton just don’t feel challenged by her in the same way. They don’t consider her. She’s not on the same board because she’s not a bloke.

John: It’s a pack, to be in charge you can’t show submission.
                        Aeryn: I showed no signs of submission.
                        John: You didn’t have to. You’re female. Sorry, I don’t make the rules.
                        Aeryn: You certainly seem very familiar with them.

From an editing pov: if you want some shots of the module flying then the first ten minutes of TTBRC is for you. In most other episodes, it just flies through the wormhole vortex, which makes it difficult to overlay without the blue light bleaching out the other shots.

Similarly, the Crichton/ D’Argo dagger scenes are shot in a metallic blue light which looks great. Also John and Aeryn look more of a couple than usual due to their mirroring outfits (grey T-Shirt, black bottoms).

Aeryn becomes very put off by John's hesitancy and becomes very annoyed and to some degree hurt by his hesitation. Hence why we see Aeryn later giving him a raft of ****e about him flying solo next time, as well as Aeryn's consideration at Crais' amnesty offer. She really wants to engage with John and try to be happy eking out whatever life she could have with him and the others but she now realizes that John's number one goal is still to get home.
                        I think Aeryn is annoyed not so much at the idea that Crichton will leave. Rather that he would take a unilateral decision to fly the both of them into the wormhole and to god knows where without asking or considering her.

It’s both an incredibly selfish and an incredibly self-sacrificing ‘leap before you look’ trait that Crichton has. And I think it reoccurs as a major sticking point in their relationship throughout, particularly the latter part of season 3 and first half of season 4.

Interesting maybe after this ep when he finds out that once the solar flare activity dies down it will not resume again for another 5 cycles (years) conveniently giving them enough time to do a proper 5 season series.
                        Yes, that’s very convenient isn’t it. Congratulations btw to (I assume) SQ family member(?) who’s graduating.
                        Last edited by Bluemeany; 12 June 2016, 05:35 AM.

Comment

@jel. In response to characters out of character. What do you mean by that and what characters? I disagree that this ep offers little to no story. I think it gives us a little slice of life for our characters. It was a character story to give chance to show all the really important relationships that I mentioned in my review. Especially the pact between D'argo and John. The story shows us as you mentioned the obsession John has with wormholes. I agree that writers writers may have dropped the ball on how John used science via these solar flares to create wormholes. I think as series goes on they make wormhole knowledge more of a mystery and exclusive to John that mystery soon sort of overshadows the science element. I think they did that so John could become more the center of focus with regard to wormholes. I don't want to get into spoilers but suffice it to say I think this was an important element to establish johns obsession and the fact he lost the science (data) element about it establishing this wormhole replication elusive. That mystery helps to fuel the story going forward

As for aeryns blindness. I think they had to show the real dangers of life on that planet with regard to the intense solar flares. Otherwise the whole goggle thing becomes a sort of silly plot device. Her blindness also gives her more character dev opportunity in that she has to give way to allowing John to help her again. Like when she got her hand stuck and she angrily screams for Crichton to help her. She does not like to be in that situation to rely on help. This blindness shows that sometimes she needs help and it's ok. She's learning to trust and let go and let John help her.

Comment

The Flax

Ah, what a shipping fest It’s interesting that they have their ‘UST couple gets trapped together’ episode so early in the show's run.

Thinking about other long running TV ‘will they, wont they’ couples (Donna & Josh from West Wing, Daphne & Niles on Frasier or Mulder & Scully in The X-Files) it’s dragged out. It takes five years plus for them to kiss.

But here we have John and Aeryn hooking up in episode 12. Given enough adrenaline, lack of escape routes and fewer D’Argo interruption, there’s not much doubt on which side of the ‘will they, won’t they’ question they come down on.

My main complaint with this episode: I love the fact that Crichton teaches Aeryn CPR but they cut away just as he’s about to show her how to do it! You’ve got an audience who could learn a life-saving technique. Don’t miss the opportunity: take 30 seconds for a Farscape disguised public service announcement!

The D’Argo/ Staanz scene at the end also seems a little disharmonious to me. But that might be because British TV has made a concerted effort to reflect sexuality and transgender issues with much more dignity in the past decade. Staanz gender revelation is done mainly as a joke (although Anthony Simcoe switches to ‘serious’ mode half way through) and I’m not sure it would be played as comically today, at least on a UK show.

Strange what a difference 16 years makes. But there are very few things in Farscape that remind me Crichton’s not a 2016 guy: he’s from 1999.

In the re-watch so far there’s only been one other bit (from DNA Mad Scientist) that I thought was questionable from a present day perspective. But it was funny and Aeryn shot it down.

John: Well, gotta give me a clue here, Aeryn. Is this something new, or is this just your usual PMS, Peacekeeper military s-
                            Aeryn: Frell you.

From an editing pov: yes, there is the kiss and all the laying on top of one another. But it’s a very static episode (because half of the action is stuck in a web). Still, the CGI on the flax looks good, as does the pirate graveyard.

Comment

I’ve mentioned before that this re-watch was great timing as I need some company while I go back through the episodes to find nice/ new clips for editing.

I’ve finished the first video from that process today if anyone wants a watch Spoiler warning: this has clips from all of Farscape. Epilepsy warning: there are fast cuts right from the start. And shipping warning (for Jelgate) this is a John & Aeryn video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwAl6L39u8

Comment

The Flax

This is not my first time watching Farscape. Some episodes I remember better than others. I went into this episode planning to dislike it because its the first time we "officially" see the ship. Surprisingly, I don't hate the episode. I am going to just skip the shipping at end for two main reasons, its not a part I love (please don't confuse not love with hate) and I know SQ is just going to gush over the makeout session and the attempted sex scene. Lets start with the basics. If Farscape has a fault its that these early episodes are all about the characters and a lot of times the plot or story is overushed and not fully explored. I have discussed this fact in many previous reviews. My biggest gripe is that The Flax is used as a plot device to get John and Aeryn stuck together and that is it. It never really explains how the two get out of the anomaly or how Staanaz ship can transverse this. But I let it go as I know this is not norm for Farscape once we get to a guy dressed in black leather. Besides that this is a great episode. What is fun is we have 3 separate events converging at the end. Just when you think you have Rygel figured out he comes and surprised you. This episode delivers a nice red herring in the beginning when we see Rygel whining about being bored because no one will play his chess like game. I thought for sure he would betray us to the Zenetian pirates. Imagine my surprise when we find out the whole time he tricked the pirates the whole time and lost on purpose. Rygel may be greedy and selfish but he knows politics. This episode showed how cunning he is. Staanaz has one of the most interesting and biggest piece of junk of a ship. His eccentrics made me laugh through out the whole episode. He also makes a nice contrast to D'Argo. For reasons unknown (well until the end of the episode) he is pushing D'Argo to find his son. That push I think allows for D'Argo to see some humility. To sacrifice Cricheton and Aeryn for his own self-worth would portray his own values as a warrior. A fact I think is pointed out with his scene with Zhaan. I think what is funny is how Staanaz at the end is attracted to D'Argo and how he is called annoying. I think that whole relationship was just hilarious. Now the meat of the episode is the character interaction between John and Aeryn. I am going to lightly gloss over this because I know SQ is going analyze and over-analyze and over-over-analyze this episode thinking every little scene is shipping. Its hard to argue that this was a shipping episode. What I care about is more of interaction and bonding than the shipping. Its funny how at the beginning Aeryn calls John useless then later she admits of John's skills (ie wielding). The situation as I mentioned creates a bonding for the two to work together to use their skills symbiotically. Their is an old saying about how nothing brings people together like a common problem. That is what I think happens here. Its also the reason they talk about deep things like the afterlife. An episode I was surprised to say I liked. Minus the plot problems of course
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X