Prepare for Starburst: A Farscape Rewatch Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Three Crichtons - From the Companion Book

(In the margin there is a quote by John, "It's bad enough being spat out of some green blob. Now I've got Quasimodo here saying he's me!")

"During season two Ben Browder proved himself to be the Lon Chaney of Farscape," says Creature Shop creative supervisor Dave Elsey, fulfilling David Kemper's aim to "Put Ben in prosthetics and let him act behind some masks."

"This was the first time that we'd done any make-ups on Ben," Elsey recalls. "We'd always wanted to get him in the make-up chair. I think some of the other actors had wanted to get Ben in the make up chair just so he knew what they were going through! We were worried about him being the star, and we wanted to make it good. We wanted to make it as comfortable for him as possible, but of course we had to make it Farscape, which means pushing it as far as we can."

"Harry and Gaby came up with the really smart idea of not having him be old or young." Kemper explains, "but having Crichton change on the evolutionary scale."

The first alternative Crichton is Neandro, the caveman-like crature. "Neandro was a full fur suit with a muscle suit underneath," Elsey explains. "It had a chest with bunched hair in it, which Ben was rather fond of. We also had to do his make-up, which was inspired by Dick Smith's work in the film Altered States, which is one of my favourite make-ups. We made the teeth, and wanted to see how far Ben was willing to go. It turned out he was willing to go all the way! He loved wearing the make-up, looked fantastic in it, and worked closely with us. He kept coming in to see how it was progressing, trying things on, and never got bored with helping us as much as possible."

Ben Browder had some very clear ideas of how he envisaged the future Crichton, dictating why he chose the Southern accent for Futuro. "If you listen closely, you can actually hear Bill Clinton," he laughs. "In most science fiction, the evolved person is going to be English, and very well spoken. I wanted him to be a big, dark-skinned bald guy with perfect teeth, But they wanted to make him look alien."

There was a more practical reason behind Browder choosing a different voice. "I looked at the script and realized that if I sounded the same over the comms, talking to myself, it would be confusing as to which one was talking."

"For Futuro, Ben wanted to have these absolutely perfect Hollywood teeth, and he really worked on talking with them, "Dave Elsey recalls. "Nobody else was particularly keen on them in production, but I think everybody now agrees that they were a fantastic idea. One of the important things that was stressed to me many times was that they wanted to keep it looking like Ben, and Ben had to come through the make-up. To be honest, Ben's such a good actor that I think you could have made him up as anything and he still would have come through.
    "It was a very complicated episode for us," Elsey adds, "Because we also had to have the stuntmen in suits and make-up as well. We realized very early on that we were going to need duplicate versions of everything. You can't do it all with computer graphics you've got to have stand-ins, people doing stunts and so on."

Claudia Black feels that there were some missed opportunities in the story. "I felt that our characters were dumbed down a little in the process," she says. "Futuro Crichton was the one who was really manipulating the environment, rather than any of us being able to control it. Chiana was the one in that episode who seemed to have the intuitions about Crichton. There was a lot of potential for Aeryn to run through the issues with the various Crichtons, but she never really got the chance."

David Kemper enjoyed the opportunities that were present. "There was some particularly good stuff there because you had Ben playing three roles," He points out. "We had our best gun sitting there, doing multiple tasks in a lot of different scenes. It was a good chance for Ben to flex."
    Originally posted by jelgate
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Holy frell. You people have been busy. This might take a while but it will be fun
      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Oh, do I remember the term "wallpapered"...
      Though in the end we changed it to "holding up the walls".
      Tomato Tomata
      Not the way she told it.
      But it is possible.
      Well an actor isn't going to mention the money woes. Its bad business to badmouth the show
      No. Just imagine the most boring job in the universe. Multiply it by 100. Add the second most boring job in the universe, and that's me.
      A teacher
      My official title is Template/Document Designer. Fancy word for the one who does the lay-out for the letters and makes sure all conditions are met so when the recipient is female it says Mrs. and not Mr. Oh, and changes simple PDF-files into forms.
      And no, there's not a single creative bit about it, so in order to not fall asleep I need GW to keep me entertained.
      Why can't I have a cushy do nothing job like that? Is it because I am not trilingual like you?

That definitely had more impact the first time around.
      I think that was the point
      I think she is.
      She is. I thought we were talking a hypothetical sense
      Ah, those rose tinted glasses... There are about 5 episodes in SGA where I'm wearing them too.
      I know the episodes too you 4th law. SQ never takes her glasses off
      Home On The Remains

The crew has run out of food, and is desperate to find something to eat, and Zhaan goes into bloom. Especially that last bit is sneeze-worthy.
      It does remind me of my terrible allergies. I think that is due to how Aeryn is feeling.
      John's grilling his dentix (or whatever they're called) and you just know it's going to taste like crap. Poor little bugs though.
      Even Rygel, who has a very healthy appetite at times, finds them disgusting though he doesn't spit them out.
      I think we knew they were bad when Aeryn said you can't eat a dentac. Sometimes I think Rygel is a dog. Nothing he won't eat
      But Zhaan needs meat -- not a vegetarian then?
      She's like those plants which catch flies.
      It actually makes sense in regards to Zhaan if you think of how we use energy in regards to foods. And you are thinking of Venus Fly Traps
      Anyhow, Chiana knows some people (who know some people who robbed some people) who live inside a giant, dead space creature.
      Love that creativity of a giant alien. *shrug* I blame SQ on creativity
      John, Rygel, D'Argo and Chiana go down into the belly of the beast, while Aeryn stays on board with bloomin' Zhaan , trying to alleviate her discomfort only to make it worse. But how could she have known.
      Its the old crutch of TV. If we knew their would be no TV show. It actually makes sense so it funny when Aeryn screws up
      So, Chiana knows some people (and possibly robbed them with a hasty exit to boot) but apparently that doesn't seem to be much of an issue on the planet.... I mean, in the decaying beast.
      Well look at the deplorable conditions. Laws and society is something developed after basic needs are met. These people barely have the need for nourishment met
      But PLOT TWIST --> there's a terrible beast in the mines, terrorizing the workers.

Sidenote: the terrible beast looked like an actual person in a suit and a little ridiculous at best.
      It reminds me of a dog to be honest
      Chiana still has friends on the planet.... in the beast, and one of them even wants to share her profits with Chi so she can buy food for her friends and help Zhaan.
      I saw her as a surrogate mother to Chiana. I think she understands Chiana was just trying to survive.
      The sheriff in town isn't an honest sheriff and keeps his meat in the mines, safeguarded by, you guessed it, the ferocious beast
      I think we knew from the beginning he was a villian. Authorities in the real world are never corrupt
      And please, tell me I wasn't the only one to see the similarities between John fighting the beast, and Luke Skywalker fighting Jabba's pet in his dungeons.
      You were. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan
      In the meantime, Aeryn has made Zhaan's situation much worse and Zhaan's gone ape -- or at least the floral version of ape. She's clogging up Moya's systems -- I swear if the ship could sneeze it would have needed very large tissues to blow its nose (if it had a nose, which it does, just not that kind of nose).
      I think Pilot said Moya was having the same problem as the others on just a bigger scale because Moya is bigger
      Like a zombie needs brains, Zhaan needs meat.
      I go crazy if I only eat vegetables
      Some of the funnier bits:

John clutching Rygel's chair, and then biting him, while they are desperately trying to stay out of the claws of the beast --
      That's like John saying screw you to Rygel about his running away cowardice
      Zhaan having her meat at the end.
      She had 4 helpings
      Liked it. It's average, but it's fun.
      I can agree with that
      Before I reply to a few quoted posts, I forgot something in my review. Something that I found taking away from the magic of the alien sheriff.

When Chiana and him stand in the hallway and she decides to shoot the acid pimple, which then proceeds to flow over his hand, the hand starts desintegrating which acid tends to do. But this also means that the actor's hand becomes visible to the eye of the viewer instead of what should be the insides of the alien hand. You can quite clearly see his thumb instead. Either cut away sooner from the shot, or create alien muscles and bone to underlay the alien skin.

Anyway... just a small nitpick...
      At least you don't nitpick like SQ. I honestly didn't notice it. Probably a limit of the technology of the time

I don't think he died. Did he?
      It seemed only his arm was covered in the acid, but I could be wrong.
      He did. Remember how Temmon died from just a little of the Buddong poison at the start

Dentac -- oops, I called them dentix.
      Its entirely possible I spelled it wrong
      Anyway, I loved how he was all casually grilling them up before having a taste, like it was the most normal thing to do.
      Its another instance of Earth culture. We would think of grilling an animal as nothing weird.

Nearly caught up with my reviews and I won't be going away again until the 4th of November.
      That's in the middle of the twining arc
      Old or new BSG, cause I can't seem to remember that.
      I think a rewatch is in order -- of new BSG anyway.
      That gets complicated because of all the failed BSG spinoffs

There, another line I loved.
      It barely registered for me
      I miss him. Can't wait for him to come back.
      Farscape needs insanity which Stark brings. He returns in The Locket

Ha, see ... not just me.
      Didn't you suggest a different scene?
      Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
      I'm pretty sure they said if you get that acid on you..you die. It's the reason she had to finish off Temmon in the beginning because he was contaminated by that acid.
      It pains me but SQ is right

YAY!
      Now I am not surrounded by crazy shippers. Although, blue isn't so rabid.

New BSG. I wanted to do a rewatch too but jel was against it....due to the trauma of that ending but maybe if we get enough people interested we could hold one. Anyone reading this interested in that? Let us know.
      You think we bicker a lot now? it would be so much worse in BSG. I started to dislike the show after New Caprica.
      yes Aeryn was not one to mince words. One of my fav lines of hers was..."I don't do nice"
      Its your word too
      yeah same here..he's a great character and one I wish we could've explored more. His race especially.
      We could of if they didn't overfocus john, aeryn, and the ship. You started it this time
      To Be Continued
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Part 2
        Out of Their Minds

What the Yotz??!! Ok this has to be one of the funniest eps they produced on the series IMO.

Where to begin? oh yes my favorite bit..."unzip......take it out......hold it like a gun....and shoot!"
        I don't know. Crackers was just as crazy. I think Rygel had someone do that for him I thought the whole Rygel/Cricheton was the episode's highlight.
        I again like jel says in his review you just have to excuse the science or actually quit trying to rationalize things and just go with the hilarity of the ep. One of my favs because it gives John and D a legal somewhat innocent way to get inside Aeryn and Chi's bodies respectively and vice versa and so on and so forth. Talk about team building exercise!! They should all be really close now. LOL
        I'm not sure how weapons and shields causes body switch. Don't give me that dren. You just like them running off at the end. Its more fun to feel how their bodies operate. Its not like they their thoughts
        At first watch years ago for me this ep actually sort of annoyed me. I don't know if it was because I had to dismiss the rationale of it or what, or if the actors who IMO had varying degrees of success in acting out their shipmate counterparts bugged me but on this re-watched I quite enjoyed it. Maybe I'm more mellow this time around. I think Doctor Who has loosened me up over the years of allowing more timey whimey less explaining in my sci fi than I was used to years ago. Or maybe it was the dren of the New BSG ending that just actually traumatized me for life and now I have no bar when it comes to actually rationalizing a sci fi/fantasy show. Either way *shrugs* I'm just going with it.
        Its not uncommon to appreciate shows differently after watching the whole series. Watching SG1 a week at a time, I hated 200. When I watched it later on, the parodies are more funny
        As with jel one of my fav bits was John's reaction to Aeryn's body parts and no jel if the roles were reversed I don't think I'd be admiring the male's muscles....maybe that one muscle that tends to get larger....LOL that one I think the females would be curious as to how that feels. And please do not jump on me for being sexist....you brought this up!
        I would not call it sexist as you proved my point that a female would obsess over sex just like a man
        I'm curious as to what the Companion Books says as well and I haven't read it yet. I like to do my reviews first before I read it so I can do my own unfettered viewpoint.
        You could do both
        So IMO I thought Gigi did a fabulous job with Pilot...and Anthony did a great job with Pilot. I actually thought the weakest link in this whole thing was whoever was in Rygel's body. I don't know if it was the puppeteer or what but it just seemed that Rygel stayed Rygel....to me anyway. It was sorta sad that we didn't get to put Blue into the mess that may have been fun to see how that all played out. I thought when Claudia had to play Rygel I cracked up when she called Zhaan the "Big Blue *****" LOL
        I thought you could see differences in how Rygel talked just his voice remained the same. I thought a lot of the possessed characters had unchanged voices. Gigi and Chiana comes to mind.
        As for the story, I didn't care, But I did wonder why they just didn't starburst away in the beginning before the body swap even occurred? Why did they stay there and have D struggling to fix the defense screen. Maybe I missed something, but Moya simply jumping away would've prevented the whole thing?
        Most likely it couldn't as it takes time to starburst away
        That is about all I can say bout this ep....lots of fun and oh some awesome shippy moments though....I almost forgot Loved the ending when John teased Aeryn and she jumped on him and they actually wrestled around on the floor, both smiling and laughing.....wow....let's enjoy that cuz we won't see that again.
        Even I have to admit that is a shippy scene
        The Chi and D shippy bits when he admitting to liking her body and they were going off to investigate further maybe???
        I found that cringe worthy to create a shipping scene. It seemed forced for D'Argo.
        Then when John and Aeryn notice that, they have their own moment when she says she was in his pants.....he gets that look and jumps up to chase her off screen... Now are we to assume they maybe had a romp off screen? What are your thoughts on that? Hmmmmmmm??? You "non-shippers"? I don't want to be accused of "seeing things that aren't there"
        Its quite obvious they are off to do the.... Can someone explain the birds and bees to SQ?
        I probably forgot.
        I though the other dude had been mauled by the beast -- never made the connection with the acid, or I didn't listen well enough.
        They showed the acid on Temmon. If you call it acid

I would most certainly be interested. I own the DVD set so could definitely join.
        Perhaps an interest-check is in order?
        I think my Hulu Plus account has BSG on it
        ++++

Onwards with the final review I'm behind with, after which I continue straight into this week's episodes.

...Unless I fall asleep first which is entirely possible since I'm really tired.
        Its been a busy weekend for you. You must be done with Madame Secretary? Vote Dalton
        Dream A Little Dream

We finally find out what Zhaan, Rygel and Chiana were up to after they Moya starbursted away at the end of season 1. As it turns out they had quite the adventure, at Zhaan's expense, but damn...
        The greatest test of them all, Rygel and Chiana having to be honest at penalty of death. No wonder Zhaan plead guilty. Though, she should have more faith in her two companions. They clearly had a handle on things... sort of. Okay, they had help and they know how to play the system.
        Would you have faith in children? Its like a parent asking their offspring to save their life. Its a hard pill to swallow. Its Rygel's episode to shine since he has diplomacy skills
        So, Zhaan has a nightmare in the transport pod, where John's trying to fix something by which time we realize they are in fact drifting around waiting for Moya to show up and get them back on board. John coaxes Zhaan into telling him what happened and there we are... back in time to when they were looking for their three missing companions.
        I think the transport pod is just to set up a reason to use the Litagaria footage
        They have been planet hopping and there's this one last planet they want to check before Moya wants to go looking for Talin, which Pilot insists he can't stop her from doing so it's important they make it back on board as soon as possible.
        I understand a frantic mother but it seems wrong to abandon a person for death for their child. Am I wrong SQ. You are a mother
        Zhaan goes around, near panicky, trying to find someone who might have information on Aeryn, D'Argo and John; while Rygel and Chiana enjoy the finer things in life. And someone's keeping track of them -- someone with less than good intentions.
        That is such a cliché and trope.
        Fast forward, Zhaan is tricked into comitting a minor crime, i.e. jaywalking.
        She's locked up and her lawyer thinks she'll be out in a couple of days. No biggie, if it weren't for impatient Moya about to leave her behind. Poor Zhaan is so desperate she walks into the next trap they set up for her, with her eyes wide open.
        Maybe if ZHaan wasn't so emotional. She should of known the lawyer was trying to set her up. No one get broken out for nothing
        She's charged with a murder she didn't comit, and her lawyer is less than willing to help her out, fearing that if he does something wrong he'll share her faith. And as it turns out 95% of the planet are lawyers, the ruling class are lawyers and the rest are vermin, to be squashed. I.e. the 2nd most boring planet in the universe (the most boring one is 95% accountants).
        The 3rd is a planet full of politicians. I don't know how a planet full of lawyers can function. It seems like the infrastructure would collapse
        Rygel and Chiana know Zhaan's innocent so they decide to step up and be her lawyers. The two people who lie for a living now need to learn to tell the truth, the whole truth and more importantly nothing BUT the truth. This will lead to some hilarious moments between the two, and I absolutely loved the Chiana/Rygel dynamic in this episode.
        I think it shows how they have skills. Rygel is good at laws since he was a monarch. And they discovered the problem because of what Chiana did with that captain. Use your imagination while I use the brain bleech. I love how it shows their value
        When Chiana takes all three pills though -- that's Gigi, all the time.
        Rygel farting at just the right moment -- always has me in stitches.
        Those were hilarious especially hyperactice Chiana with those caffeine like pills
        And then they are the clever ones, and with a little help from Pilot and Moya they completely outwit the court of law.
        I found that too easy for a space faring society
        I understand now why Zhaan believed Aeryn to be a figment of her imagination when they first arrived back on Moya. They visited her in spirit while she was locked up. Now there's a nice tie-in.
        They never should have moved this episode around
        It was a filler (I think) but one that needed to be done.
        I wouldn't call it filler as it impacted other episodes
        And with this reply, I'm all caught up and can move forwards again...

We don't have to believe it, the Lawyers have to believe it.
        And they did.
        I have a hard time believing the lawyers were so gullible even if their laws are crazy
        Their words actually.
        And my sister didn't have any wild teen years either.

We're odd that way.

Although, perhaps the odd teen years were playing catch up cause I'm sure the parental units may have a thing or two to say about our hobbies now.
        You and me both. My families don't understand me because my free time use is less than conventional

To be continued
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Part 3
          The bane of my GW existence is taken, sorry.
          I have competition? I will crush them like SQ crushes nuts or the way Rygel hides meat in transport pods

My Three Crichton's

Did anyone else have a feeling of things to come with all these Crichton's running around? I wonder if it was a precursor for the writers to explore how the audience would accept multiple Johns? And I'm not referring to the bathrooms.
          Not really since these John are quite different than the original
          This episode bugged me too a little only because it was so John centric... Yep I said it Can you believe that jelgate is rubbing off on me? Nah... I don't so much have an issue that it focuses solely on John, but I do think they could've been better at drawing in more of the other characters. I do love how Chiana sort of hangs with the Primitive John while Aeryn hangs with the Future John. I think that was purposeful for a reason that I will talk about in a few minutes.
          Everyone agrees with rational reasoning of Jelgate eventually. You can deny the truth forever
          I think jelgate was right in that instead of these two Johns representing merely the evolved John and the de-evolved John that appeared to be the case at first glance, once you got on with the story and saw just how these John's interacted with Aeryn and Chiana respectively we could see that they more represented the (Human, soft, loving) side of John and the (Logical, cold, purely rational) side of John. This ep was one big metaphor for don't judge by how one looks and look deeper. As was John's lament through out the entire episode, he at everyone else's resistance wanted to take time to pursue the right answer or at least consider all the options. As he said to D'Argo, "Since when do we do the easy thing?" Something like that. I think it was a big 'ol message for look before you leap and make sure you are weighing your options and consider all options before making a rash decision.
          Someone call a hospital. I agree with SQ
          We see the Future John with Aeryn which was an interesting choice the writers wanted to show just how much Aeryn had grown were she wasn't just going to listen to him as she may have done in the past with her PK indoctrination. She actually waited and proceeded cautiously. I think it highlighted just how much Aeryn had grown there. Furthermore, it was important that she was escorting the Future John since he was the pure logical one and even Aeryn saw that he wasn't John especially in the beginning which was the hilarious bit "John has more hair (her eyes move down to his groin area) amongst other things, I'll take it the cold has something to do with that." LOL She saw pretty much right away something BIG was off about this Crichton and as time went on I think she really started to miss that human side (The part she used to rib him about so much in s1...remember?) Now she loves that part of him.
          I honestly don't think Aeryn had anything to do with it. Its to show the dangers of having just pure logic. Logic and emotions have to go together
          As for Chiana recognizing and bonding with the Primative John, this was intentional too because of all people this was the John that Chi upon their first meeting sort of fell in love with. It was John's humanity and his compassion that she was being treated so harshly as a slave and tortured that resonated with this incarnation of Crichton and lead to her wanting to free it.
          Agreed. This has to stop happening.
          I loved the very last scene with them both, after everything was settled and John confirmed to Chi that it was her actions that saved them because she knew the Primitive John deserved a chance.
          I thought it was suppose to show that he had the best grasp of reality since he has the best understanding of others.
          Then the very final pull out scene of John sitting alone with his flight suit really sad about the death of his others. I think this show handled this in a very sensitive way for a sci fi show, instead of them callously and cavalierly just pushing the "clones" into the sphere they treated them as a viable part of John and allowed time to show him grieving over their loss.

I think that again is another reason why I love this show!!
          I think that obvious of how first real John wanted to save all of them
          Originally posted by Bluemeany View Post
          My Three Crichtons

Following on from the body swapping, another sci-fi staple. As with jel and SQ, I’m not totally sure whether we’re watching split personalities or evolutionary clones. Probably a blend of both.
          Its the different personalities. You know you want to agree with jel
          I agree with the other reviews. This episode doesn’t quite hold together for me. It’s not bad. But something is slightly off. It’s possibly the direction?
          Yes. It doesn't feel like it has a plot. Its like, what is the point?
          Or maybe the fact that they’ve taken a sci-fi staple and just not twisted it enough. I’ve seen a cold, clinical highly evolved human before. And I’ve seen a kinder, dumber caveman version of an all American hero. There isn’t anything new here.
          A lot of scifi classics are repeated in Farscape. I think a good point is made. Its been done and it would have been better to do another character. Lets explore Zhaan's personality? Or Rygel? That last one would be hilarious
          I’d rather have seen split versions of another member of Moya’s crew. Simply because I wouldn’t know what to expect. Rygel, Chiana, D’Argo… we’d have found some interesting stuff about their evolution. That would have been different.
          D'oh. I spoke too soon.
          Or Aeryn… which might have been a nice way to explore the PK’s connections to humans. And I wonder how sympathetic Aeryn would have been to the ‘inferior’ version of herself.
          A sympathetic Aeryn almost seems like a contradiction of terms. I honestly would like to see her the least after Cricheton. Show an alien we haven't explored
          I agree it’s a nice touch that pre-historic ‘Stig of the Dump’ John is paired with Chiana. Also, that’s he’s in the flightsuit from season one when Crichton was still naïve and space-useless. Maybe Stig!John is quite close to how Aeryn and D’Argo originally saw Crichton?
          Or a way for his primitive vocal cords to say he is John Cricheton
          And then highly-evolved John (who really reminds me of Tom Cruise BTW… I’m not sure why, I think it’s because he’s quite locked down) is in the PK uniform: the coldest, most clinical version of Crichton in season one.
          That is what he is supposed to be. Pure logic. I think it shows the dangers of not using your emotions
          From a vidding point of view: the sphere is kinda cool. And there’s a nice shot of Aeryn point a gun at TomCruise!John. There is also 360 spin around Crichton, but it’s not as good as the one in Durka Returns.
          Being a bottle episode, I assumed their wasn't much editing.
          There’s also quite a few subtle references to the D’Argo/Chiana relationship in this. D’Argo protecting Chiana and being concerned about where she is. Chiana calling for D’Argo when Stig!John jumped out at her…setting up things nicely for next week.
          *sigh*I'll concede this one
          Out of their Minds

Wheeeee, what a fun episode. Okay, as Jel pointed out, it’s not particularly deep. But it’s one of my favourites. Body swap episodes can go very wrong, very quickly. But Farscape do this well.
          Body swaps are often so serious. What makes this great is that we go for the funny bone to make fun of everyone
          The Polaroid pictures are a great production decision. Otherwise, I think it would get confusing. And I like the fact that the original voices are overdubbed at the beginning to help establish who everyone is. The help get the audience past the weirdness and the main titles… before fading out gradually.
          Can I be honest? I had to think who was who even with the polaroids.
          And I agree with what Jel and SQ said above: my favourite impressions are Gigi Edgey being Pilot and Ben Browder being Rygel.
          I like the Pilot being Chaina as well. and John as Aeryn because I am a perv apparently
          The one that I don’t think works is Rygel channelling Aeryn and Crichton. As with other episodes, I wonder if that’s due to the emotional limitation of a puppet and a voice overdubbed later vs actual human actors.
          I disagree. I think you have to look at his words instead of his voice
          From a vidding point of view, there are a couple of nice camera zooms in this. Aesthetically, I really dig the design of the alien ship: it’s kind of like a wasp. And as SW pointed out, for the shipping vidders, the whole wrestling on the floor coupled with the ‘I was in your pants’ grin are very...cough...physical. They are definitely doing it.
          I really like the designs of the bird aliens
          I liked the ‘don’t shoot us we’re pathetic signal’. And the scene where Zahn will listen to a suggestion from “Crichton” but not the same suggestion from “Rygel”.
          I loved the pathetic line. I think ZHaan ignores Rygel because everyone does because of his greedy nature
          My favourite bit is the D’Argo/Chiana coming on to Crichton/Rygel scene. It shouldn’t have been edgy in 2000, but I think it probably was with some audiences. And it's an interesting scene, largely because it makes no difference that it's two males actors doing it rather than the actual Chiana and Rygel.
          I think I forgot that scene

Fin
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Why can't I have a cushy do nothing job like that? Is it because I am not trilingual like you?
            My job is catapulting me straight into a bore-out. You can have it, if you like. It's not required to know more languages than just the one -- texts are always delivered beforehand. Occasionally though, there are mistakes made and they may have to be fixed (Dutch, French, English, German, ... and occasionally Turkish, Morrocan, Algerian, Polish, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian).

I think we knew they were bad when Aeryn said you can't eat a dentac.
            Maybe eating dentacs is like eating dogs or cats -- we don't find it normal to eat them, but the Chinese do.
            So, who knows, there might be a planet where the dentacs are a minty delicacy.

That gets complicated because of all the failed BSG spinoffs
            I don't own any of the spin-offs. I thought Caprica was a bit weird so never finished that. I'm only talking BSG (four seasons and the tie-in film Razor(?)).

it would be so much worse in BSG. I started to dislike the show after New Caprica.
            I have issues with the entire 3rd season which was soooooooooooooooooooo boring.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

@Jel cuz I'm too lazy right now to quote and muck through all that ...but with regard to the BSG re-watch you thinking we bicker to much now......meh.... It's ok I don't care about the bickering so much I just hate when it gets personal. If we can keep it to agree-ing to disagree I can handle that all day... I'm a good friend of Foley's remember? LOL

Comment

Question SQ.
                Is what goes on between Aeryn and John -really- shipping? I mean, I never got into the shippy scene but it seems to me that shipping is generally reserved for "will they, won't they" situations such as Jack and Sam. Once that becomes a "real thing" in the series (such as what happens in Castle or Bones), is it really "shippy"? By this point, it's pretty damn obvious Aeryn and John are a couple (of sorts).

Just curious.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Out Of Their Minds

By far one of my all-time favorite episodes. I love bodyswapping. It gives actors the opportunity to stretch their muscles some more and when done right, like this episode, they are a hoot to watch.

The episode itself is pretty static. It takes place in just two different places, Zhaan aboard the ship with the birdlike aliens, and the rest on Moya.

The story is also pretty straightforward: Moya comes under attack and when they use the defence shield in interacts with the energy from the blast and the musical chairs act (with bodies instead of chairs) commences. Zhaan in the meantime boarded the alien ship and is taken prisoner. She tries to convince the two beings that they are unarmed and don't have any ill feelings towards them, while the aliens are hellbend on destroyig Moya. And all because Tallin defended himself, nearly destroying the aliens' ship. They did fire first.

I loved all the switches.

Rygel in John's body
                  * "I want my body back!"
                  * Peeing in the maintenance bay (at least we know they actually do have toilets, just not in the maintenance bay)
                  * Conversing with the alien
                  * THAT moment between Chiana in D'Argo's body, and Rygel in John's.

Rygel in Aeryn's body: generally being grumpy and eating
                  * Personally felt like Ben was doing a better job at being Rygel than Claudia but it was fun nevertheless.
                  * Rygel pulling food from wherever and eating it -- I bet Aeryn would have a thing or two to say about that.

John in Aeryn's body
                  * It took him far longer than one would expect to take advantage of being stuck inside Aeryn's body to start exploring and when he finally did ... ... "Do you need more time?"

Aeryn in John's body
                  * Personally Claudia did a better job at imitating John than Ben did Aeryn, but it was only by a smidgen.
                  * "You were in my shoes, I was in your boots..."

Chiana in D'Argo's body
                  * That killed me -- that was done so well.
                  * Already mentioned that moment in the hallway where Chiana!D'Argo comes onto Rygel!John

Pilot in Chiana's body
                  * Gigi did a fabulous job portraying Pilot
                  * It was strange that Chiana and D'Argo's bodies wanted to reject Pilot -- fascinating. I can't remember why though.

D'Argo in Pilot's body
                  * He gets a taste of what it's like to be connected to Moya, an dPilot explaining how he makes sense of it all. More information on Pilot is always nice to have. D'Argo learned to multitask.

It's a missed opportunity that they didn't include Moya in their musical chairs, and Zhaan who was stuck on the alien ship.

Zhaan desperately trying to convince the aliens not to destroy Moya, and then setting them up against each other. Smart move, even if it backfired.
                  And that thing she did with her hand --

All in all, definitely one of my favorite episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Question SQ.
                    Is what goes on between Aeryn and John -really- shipping? I mean, I never got into the shippy scene but it seems to me that shipping is generally reserved for "will they, won't they" situations such as Jack and Sam. Once that becomes a "real thing" in the series (such as what happens in Castle or Bones), is it really "shippy"? By this point, it's pretty damn obvious Aeryn and John are a couple (of sorts).

Just curious.
                    Seriously, to me and my shipping is when the story focuses on relationships hence it's shippy. To me it's honestly when you move a little from plot driven to character/relationship driven. When you strive to focus on how characters are interacting with one another and how that moves along the story. So that is the broadest use of the term. So when I see shows allowing characters time to interact and they show the shippy or relationship bits and there is an underpinning of a romance of will they, won't they like you mentioned that is when a true shipper takes a stand and roots for them and they start to really want to see that ship succeed fully or become realized onscreen. Even if there is no intention on the part of the writers to permanently put those people together romantically, as writers may tease the shippers into watching each week and they drag it out to hope they will continue to gain viewership to see if they will eventually become a couple. That is more the classic use of the word. As a shipper though when I've jumped on a specific ship and I want to see that ship succeed or realized on screen... I really get hacked off if the writers do one of the following.
                    1. They never intend to allow that ship to become realized on screen and they constantly just tease it (will they won't they) IE: Jack/Sam of Stargate and/or Sully/Mulder of X-files
                    or
                    2. They allow the ship to manifest on screen but then they do a reset or fabricate some ridiculous reason why they can't be together. IE: Jess/Nick of New Girl.

As with John/Aeryn....I think they broke the mold with this romance because A. They never let it become fully realized on screen (until much later in series)....but they gave enough hints and proof to everyone not just the insane shippers that they probably are having a relationship (off screen) and by doing it like that it's not getting old or stale and it keeps the audience wanting to see if it ever will be fully realized onscreen. Let us call those small payoffs. B. Even though you know their love is real and they want to be together, there are realistic reasons why they can't be together which is what is so tragically heartbreaking for them. And it just makes you (well at least me) root for them so they can become better and get on with their ship. Like for instance Aeryn spent all of s1 really pushing John away because it was her PK past that didn't allow her to really love someone...so she was sort of damaged goods. John saw her as a project hence the "You can be more" statement and it was his mission to help her....especially since it was her initial sacrifice that lead to her becoming irreversibly contaminated. So John maybe felt some guilt and responsibility to help her. Then now in s2 there are increasing outside sources that somewhat interfere with them fully committing and making a go. You have John slowly going crazy and the alien of the week or what have you tends to put a little damper on their love life. So even if they wanted to run off and be married or really commit to each other I think they still have alot of personal growing to do as well as dealing with their plight, they are on the run, have limited resources and seem to be this pathetic target that everyone wants to shoot at.

And I have no idea where I was going with that....but just suffice it to say even if you think Aeryn and John at this point are a couple which they are....it still hasn't been confirmed on screen and shippers like myself like to see that confirmed and see the "I love you" and the physical kissing and romp that pretty much seals the deal. That is what I call the BIG pay off. If a writing team isn't ever prepared to give you an onscreen BIG pay off to make the couple canon and "seal the deal" or if they won't even give you small pay offs that don't reset each week, then I call them cowards and we see it all the time in TV shows because they say it brings down a show...MEH to me Farscape broke that stigma and mold because they did it right! I'll stop watching a show if I feel like I'm being strung along with stupid resets and dumb excuses as to why they can't be together.

Comment

Mulder and Scully did pay off.

Comment

As with John/Aeryn....I think they broke the mold with this romance because A. They never let it become fully realized on screen (until much later in series)....but they gave enough hints and proof to everyone not just the insane shippers that they probably are having a relationship (off screen) and by doing it like that it's not getting old or stale and it keeps the audience wanting to see if it ever will be fully realized onscreen. Let us call those small payoffs. B. Even though you know their love is real and they want to be together, there are realistic reasons why they can't be together which is what is so tragically heartbreaking for them. And it just makes you (well at least me) root for them so they can become better and get on with their ship. Like for instance Aeryn spent all of s1 really pushing John away because it was her PK past that didn't allow her to really love someone...so she was sort of damaged goods. John saw her as a project hence the "You can be more" statement and it was his mission to help her....especially since it was her initial sacrifice that lead to her becoming irreversibly contaminated. So John maybe felt some guilt and responsibility to help her. Then now in s2 there are increasing outside sources that somewhat interfere with them fully committing and making a go. You have John slowly going crazy and the alien of the week or what have you tends to put a little damper on their love life. So even if they wanted to run off and be married or really commit to each other I think they still have alot of personal growing to do as well as dealing with their plight, they are on the run, have limited resources and seem to be this pathetic target that everyone wants to shoot at.

And I have no idea where I was going with that....but just suffice it to say even if you think Aeryn and John at this point are a couple which they are....it still hasn't been confirmed on screen and shippers like myself like to see that confirmed and see the "I love you" and the physical kissing and romp that pretty much seals the deal. That is what I call the BIG pay off. If a writing team isn't ever prepared to give you an onscreen BIG pay off to make the couple canon and "seal the deal" or if they won't even give you small pay offs that don't reset each week, then I call them cowards and we see it all the time in TV shows because they say it brings down a show...MEH to me Farscape broke that stigma and mold because they did it right! I'll stop watching a show if I feel like I'm being strung along with stupid resets and dumb excuses as to why they can't be together.
                        I remember an interview quote re. John/Aeryn from one of the producers or writers (I have a vague memory that it was David Kemper but could be wrong) which was “Give the audience what they want as quickly as possible. But then take it away.”

Spoiler:
                        We see them kissing: D’Argo interrupts. They do it: it doesn’t register emotionally and they don't discuss it. Aeryn finally says ‘I love you’: she then dies. We see them start a proper relationship, discussing future on earth: that Crichton then dies. The other Crichton gets reunited with the woman he’s longed for: she’s rejects him because of grief. We find out Aeryn’s pregnant: they are immediately separated by a wormhole. They get engaged: blasted into a million pieces.

I think one of the commentaries also mentions that they did consider having Aeryn and John having sex right in the first episode, whilst they were in the cell together… kind of odd, but I think it was suggested as a way to get the ‘will they/won’t they’ out of the way from the off.

Comment

Mulder and Scully did pay off.
                          True but only after fans griped so much and they did that movie once series was ended.

I remember an interview quote re. John/Aeryn from one of the producers or writers (I have a vague memory that it was David Kemper but could be wrong) which was “Give the audience what they want as quickly as possible. But then take it away.”

Spoiler:
                          We see them kissing: D’Argo interrupts. They do it: it doesn’t register emotionally and they don't discuss it. Aeryn finally says ‘I love you’: she then dies. We see them start a proper relationship, discussing future on earth: that Crichton then dies. The other Crichton gets reunited with the woman he’s longed for: she’s rejects him because of grief. We find out Aeryn’s pregnant: they are immediately separated by a wormhole. They get engaged: blasted into a million pieces.

I think one of the commentaries also mentions that they did consider having Aeryn and John having sex right in the first episode, whilst they were in the cell together… kind of odd, but I think it was suggested as a way to get the ‘will they/won’t they’ out of the way from the off.
                          Yes there was a lot of angst but lots of payoff along the way too. And even when they gave and took away I believe they alway had intention of them ending together.

Comment

True but only after fans griped so much and they did that movie once series was ended.
                            The fans like to give themselves too much credit.

If the creators don't want it, it won't happen, but if they do they'll probably spin it to tell the "fans" how they had everything to do with it.

Comment

Well, I have my answer, strange and convoluted though it may be, Thank you SQ. I had a different view of what constitutes "shippy", so it is good to get your context.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The fans like to give themselves too much credit.

If the creators don't want it, it won't happen, but if they do they'll probably spin it to tell the "fans" how they had everything to do with it.
                                Don't look at me lol. I was never a fan of that show. I'm only discussing things I've heard it could be total bs. *shrugs*. I have no personal stake in the matter.
                                Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                Well, I have my answer, strange and convoluted though it may be, Thank you SQ. I had a different view of what constitutes "shippy", so it is good to get your context.
                                No problem. Shipping is an art or crazy arse obsession depending on who you talk to. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X