X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 2
    Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Family Ties

A quiet ending to a moderately exciting season...
    I kind of agree with blue that Farscape likes to end quiet.
    We've witnessed the crew grow as characters, as friends, as family. We've seen them at their lowest (later seasons will see them even much lower but not there yet), and at their highest (also, later seasons other highs).
    What sets them apart is they are so innocent in this season. Even D'Argo. John is not the only who gets harden by Scorpy chasing them
    So, Rygel decides to try his luck and negotiate his freedom. I'm never sure whether he means what he does or that he has ulterior motives. Was he really betraying Moya and her crew? Or was he buying them time? Or some other cunning plan.
    Its pretty obvious to me Rygel was betraying them to save his own skin. He ever admits this to Zhaan later in the episode
    However, Scorpius doesn't fall for it. He's after the wormhole technology buried within Crichton's mind and the rest is just collateral damage he cares little for. Crais has been relegated to lapdog and his faith is firmly sealed so he makes a bargain with Rygel instead. Although, one could argue it was Talyn he was after since the beginning and bargaining with Rygel for assylum would grant him the opportunity to get aboard the PK offspring. Hence why I never understood why they didn't lock him back up after he informs them their plan won't work.
    While intelligent, Scorpy's obsession is his weakness. What I like is how they use that obsession to their advantage in this episode. I don't think Crais knew Talyn was born until he was on Moya. Ever the opportunist, Crais knew he would die if he stayed on the Command Carrier. I too was bothered on why they let Crais roam free. It made little sense
    Chiana wanting to thank John the only way she knows is so sweet and John's reaction is even sweeter. There's a wonderful bit of chemistry between these two characters, but it's not sexual in nature. To me, Chiana or Pip is John's little sister, the one he feels responsible for and will go to great lengths to keep her safe. She's that curious being, out for an adventure, getting herself into all kinds of trouble while doing so but she's learning and discovering. And I absolutely adore her way of giving back.
    I think its sexual on Chiana's end as that is all she knows. Chiana's journey on the show is learning that relationships can be more than sex. It does develop into big brother//little sister.
    The end is ominous with Zhaan, Rygel and Chiana aboard Moya, starbursting away. Crais stealing Talyn and disappearing in the asteroid field. And John, D'Argo and Aeryn helplessly floating about space. It's a quiet end, and I'm really glad I don't have to wait a year or so for the next episode.
    Its just threads to create a cliffhanger ending.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I don't think Crais knew Talyn was born until he was on Moya.
      Scorpius mentions it when he wants them to bomb the field: "What mother would leave it's off-spring behind?"

Or did he?
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Knowing you, you will still say a lot
        I was singing it too. Why am I always left out?
        She is? I knew Browder's wife played M'Lee but I didn't know she played other aliens.
        Why would they want too? Plant Man obviously saw M'Lee as a tool. I don't think he really cares what happens to her as long as the animals are dead.
        A wise guy, eh? *pokes SQ in the eyes* I think that is Farscape humor. I mean look at one of my favorite episodes, Won't Get Fooled Again. Its so crazy, its funny
        The side stories I felt made sense for the episode. It was the main story with the bone lady that I found to make no sense. Its my understanding that the only thing Peacekeepers add is the control collar. If PK had to add tech, then shouldn't all Leviathians have control collars so they can be under Peacekeeper control. I think evidence points that not all Leviathians are not under Peacekeeper control.

I find its a gradual process. Honestly at this point I don't see John that different. You are right the chair changes him and makes John crazy but at this point he appears the same. I didn't find the laughing that crazy as they are all laughing at the humor of asking Moya for help. BTW John had a gun in the previous episode. I found the planet argument flawed since the plants are sentient like John and Zhaan

Its like the old atomic bomb argument. Their will be collateral damage but its acceptable since it will save innocent lives. They don't care because its the enemy so anything to keep them alive. It bugs me we don't know what happened to M'Lee
        Its mentioned what happens to him when Stark return but I didn't buy it since of how zealously the Peacekeepers were following Moya

Because I am the best?
        Mention the Rygel/John scene?

Its usually best to agree with me

Where you really shocked? Because I wasn't. I'm surprised Rygel didn't do it sooner. Call it what it is. It was the only way Rygel thought he could save himself. He knew Moya was doomed and so he ratted everyone out to save himself
        Its rare because generally males don't talk like John and Crais do. I will admit the culture barriers may be playing an impact. As for John and D'Argo, I love it because it a frame of reference. Compare these now versus Premeiere.
        Don't mention that episode. Taking the Stone is one of my least favorite episodes. I love John and Chiana for what it is. A big brother/sister relationship. Besides that I agree about John and Chiana. Early on, Chiana (as evident by this scene) may have had feelings for John. At the same time, Chiana's journey is learning their is more to relationships than just sex. I think soon Chiana learns that its more she respects him and Chiana doesn't respect many people.
        You love John and Aeryn? I never wound have guessed The scene I find is double folded. Its not just about John and Aeryn. Its also about Aeryn's feel of responsibility to Talyn. She saw Jack as a father figure because she never had real parents
        I liked D'Argo speech about fear. You only have to wait 2 more days

For now
        TO BE CONTINUED
        just responding to the Crazy John part. I agree it is a gradual process that he slowly goes more and more crazy....but I think if you really look closely and compare this post chair John to earlier eps you'll see he is a bit off. It is subtle but it's there. I think Browder plays it wonderfully and what I like more than anything about this...is it truly sets Farscape ahead of many of the other TV and even Scifi Shows at the time....by not doing character resets. Even Stargate which was airing concurrently with Farscape at the time wasn't great at showing character development. There was some character growth on Stargate but all in all they usually for the most part did character resets. And with Farscape and John's crazy it's the slow burn that is so beautifully played and you just almost don't even really recognize it because it is such a slow gradual process, but my point is by now that slow decent has started.
        Originally posted by jelgate
        This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Scorpius mentions it when he wants them to bomb the field: "What mother would leave it's off-spring behind?"

Or did he?
          I was referring to Talyn's status as a gunship
          Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
          just responding to the Crazy John part. I agree it is a gradual process that he slowly goes more and more crazy....but I think if you really look closely and compare this post chair John to earlier eps you'll see he is a bit off. It is subtle but it's there. I think Browder plays it wonderfully and what I like more than anything about this...is it truly sets Farscape ahead of many of the other TV and even Scifi Shows at the time....by not doing character resets. Even Stargate which was airing concurrently with Farscape at the time wasn't great at showing character development. There was some character growth on Stargate but all in all they usually for the most part did character resets. And with Farscape and John's crazy it's the slow burn that is so beautifully played and you just almost don't even really recognize it because it is such a slow gradual process, but my point is by now that slow decent has started.
          It you want to go that route, look at how crazy John is in before the chair and Premiere. He is already going crazy before Scorpy kidnaps John which is why I say at this moment the scars of the chair aren't apparent yet. Agreed about Stargate character development except maybe SGU. Also agreed on the last bit.
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I was referring to Talyn's status as a gunship

It you want to go that route, look at how crazy John is in before the chair and Premiere. He is already going crazy before Scorpy kidnaps John which is why I say at this moment the scars of the chair aren't apparent yet. Agreed about Stargate character development except maybe SGU. Also agreed on the last bit.
            Fair enough

Comment

I was referring to Talyn's status as a gunship.
              Ah no, not that.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Or did he?
                You're right ... I distinctly remember Scorpy saying that line to Crais thinking that was awfully insightful and empathetic thinking for a guy who is probably incapable of that emotion.

Comment

He did. But as I told FH that was not what I meant.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

He did. But as I told FH that was not what I meant.
                    oh....well get it right... Don't make me put that leash on you again

Comment

Mind the Baby

I find myself lacking the energy to write this. I don't know why. Oh well. This is a lot like the finale. I think its kind of quiet. Their is no real sense of danger. Yes we have Scorpy in the background threatening us but this episode is kind of broken into two parts. The first part is the rushing of resolving what happened in the last episode. I kind of felt like we jumped that really fast. On the finale we had the two drifting in space and now we have them on an old mining facility. It would have been better to actually see them get rescued. And I never bought the whole D'Argo sunburned idea. It never made sense that he would so golden brown in space. John should be burnt beyond recognition is D'Argo is golden brown. One thing I do like is the act of Aeryn betraying us to Crais. It is consistent with her character. A lot of times Aeryn does not where to stand because that Peacekeeper indoctrination has led her to very little free will. Since being free, Aeryn has to learn from herself what is right and wrong. The thing is that both sides have points. We can't trust Crais but without him John and D'Argo could very well be dead. I'm not sure who is right which is why I liked her act of betrayal because its gray and murky. Anyone who knows me from the old days knows I love with TV shows go for the gray. I also thought it was funny to see Aeryn get a tongue knock out. A little is lose on reworking the Litagara story. It leaves me confused on Zhaan's weirdness and it feels sudden that we are already seeing Moya return to the asteroid field. It feels like let quick get everyone back to Moya. Although I loved the part that Chana jumps when she sees John. The second part is all about Talyn. Really it is. Why would you doubt me? We locked up Crais again but their is a feel that Talyn is fighting with us to the point it shoots on Moya. Someone is a little unstable. No, not you SQ. A little shipping moment for you when they say goodbye huh? I like the Crais and Aeryn for what it is. Its the start of Crais' creepy stalking of Aeryn. Didn't he vow to kill her 3 episodes back? It shows the route Talyn is going down. Despite the bonding with Aeryn, he still wants male bonding. What boy doesn't. I have often wondered if the neural transponder is unique to Tayln or if other Levithians have this capability as we never see it on other ships. I love the look Scorpy's face when Talyn starbursts away. I have a feeling that technical expert is dead or in a lot of pain I don't quite understand the reasoning behind the secret transmissions. I think it was obvious that their was no way he was realigned with Scorpious. It did however give us that great scene where Scorpy loses his patience that John is not dead and get angry with Mr. Yes Man and has them follow John. It sets the tone for the next two seasons of who is chasing who. Finally I love the scene at the end of discussing Talyn and Crais. Highlight on talking about change because I think we were all wondering if it was possible for a guy like him to change. If you think about in the beginning Aeryn as a Peacekeeper wasn't much better.

Added after because I forgot about the whole Zhaan thing. Its just confusing watching her strive for peace. The reoworking makes this suffer and I find myself confused on why she is doing this. It makes no sense she would shut her friends out. And all it takes is Aeryn telling her she is a fool.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Mind the Baby

Ok yeah like jel pointed out I felt this ep was a little disjointed or off. Not that it wasn't good, just seemed sort of ho hum for a season opener. But there were some great shippy parts....*giggles* yeah I promised jel I wouldn't gush to much, so where to begin?

D'Argo's New Look - I actually like his new look. I think this again is a nice way to show that our characters are aging and getting banged up and stuff. It always bugged me when you watch a series on TV in which the main characters appearances never really change all that much. Or they get in an awful fight and they don't even have a scratch on the next episode. This to me really helps with the believe-ability and continuity that these guys are going to age and get bumps along the way. As to jel's comment about D's sunburn....*shrugs* I didn't hear them say that is what happened..maybe I missed it (I was a tad distracted while watching) but even if that is the reason why he's darker in the face now so be it... it works for me. I think it's an improvement to show an older and wiser D'argo.

John's Jokes - Did anyone else find John's quips and silly responses a tad irritating? I mean maybe this is his crazy coming out ...a sort of I don't care and I'm just going to joke about it? Or maybe they had him be sort of carefree and kidding to show that stark contrast of how deadly serious he got when the whole Crais situation came to light and he realized that Aeryn had entered into a deal with him. Unlike jel up there I don't really consider what Aeryn did a betrayal, I see it as a means to an end. She knew she would've never been able to save the boys if she hadn't struck a deal with him. It seems thought that as soon as they got safely aboard the asteroid she should've told them without having John drag it out of her, as I think they paid for allowing Crais hang around Talyn a bit too long as Talyn soon bonded with Crais and preferred him over Aeryn. I do love the part where they said goodbye, and how bent out of shape John became when Aeryn "chose" to go with Crais....I think that is where Crais forms his psycho idea that Aeryn came with him because she liked him and chose him over John....which later feeds his sort of obsession of Aeryn.

Which leads me to my next part...
                        Talyn's Choice -
                        As far as the story goes, I was disappointed at how the story played out...not that Talyn chose Crais right away over Aeryn, but that Aeryn came right back on Moya into John's lap....literally. Now dont' get me wrong I loved that shippery moment when they were sitting together and John is playing with her hair and they have a really sweet moment there, but honestly I felt like story wise it would've be better served to allow Aeryn to stay on Talyn with Crais just a little longer...maybe an ep or two. I do like angst....and well it seems these writers don't want to put too much in the way of the Aeryn/John ship yet, so they seem to like to use the "goodbye/almost goodbye" angst story idea just a tad too much in order to tease us with angst, but not really deliver. If Aeryn is truly leaving let it be for a while. Although we know that does happen later... I think they get it that true angst needs to happen more than just for a few minutes for it to be effective....otherwise it just seems like a cheap plot device and you as the audience no longer believe they will truly set them apart for more than an ep. Furthermore, it would've been interesting to see how Aeryn would've responded to Crais and how they would've managed through it...we know this happens later and I don't want to go into too much spoilerage so I'll just leave it here and comment more on this at that later time.

Crais is Creepy - I mean Scorpious is downright evil, but let's face it Crais is really creepy at this point. LOL I mean I like Crais' character, but he's sort of creeping me out in this ep. The way he's looking at Aeryn and getting into her personal space and then his crazy ripping his shirt off to have Talyn link up....did anyone else think that was almost sexual in nature And not in a good way... Again it all happened so fast it seems a little rushed and psychotic...like they were trying to rush this episode for some odd reason. That is the only way I can describe it.

Zhaan got the can - I mean really Zhaan? You are gonna choose now to pursue the Delvian Seek? Honestly?? I think it was an escape mechanism for her. She was really depressed and hurting when she thought she lost all three of her friends and I think that was the only way she could cope with it. She was so into denial of the real world that even with John showed up she didn't see him as real. I do like that it was Aeryn to kick her in the arse and bring her back to reality. So this didn't really bother me so much because let's face it, she didn't have much to do in the story so I guess they writers chose that path for her in order to give her something to do in the story.

Rygel's Reaction - Loved how Rygel got all choked up at seeing his friends again. I think what was missing from this episode in really looking at it and in retrospect and what is off about it is the fact the team was not apart long enough for everyone to have such severe reactions for having the band back together again on Moya. I think to jel's point up there...the story seemed rushed to get them all back on Moya again, and I agree. The story seemed disorganized and disjointed. I would've rather them focus on just how Aeryn saved the boys and her haggling with Crais for his help...we didn't get to see that and it was obvious a lot of time had passed but since we didn't see it....it was only an episode ago that everyone was together so not enough screen time had passed IMO to make the reunion back on Moya truly resonate appropriately.

All in all it was a good ep, but not one of the most solid in terms of story telling.
                        Last edited by squirrely1; 24 July 2016, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Mind the Baby

Wow, start of season two already.

And man, they just jump right back into it don’t they? No explaining, no recaps, no ‘previously on Farscape’. That’s a brave choice for original broadcast.

Even for the faithful season-one viewer, it would still have been a gap of a year. Never mind the poor sod tuning in for the first time: the ‘My name is John Crichton, I got shot through a wormhole’ intro isn’t really going to be helping them figure out the backstory to this episode.

To agree with what SQ said, I think Crichton is noticeably more ‘on the edge’ mentally. The annoying jokes are a part of that. As is the way he threatens Crais; it’s more unhinged than in the past. He even looks scary when arrives back on Moya (up until the point Chiana leap-hugs him).

It’s subtle, but I think it’s already there. Crichton is not quite in total control (Hey, kind of like Talyn? Maybe that’s meant to be a mirroring thing?).

My favourite scene is the one where Zahn is about to bliss off into oblivion and Aeryn calls her out on it. I really like that. It shows that for all her high ideals, Zahn can be insensitive to the suffering of others . Aeryn is the better person because she’s actually trying to help people, rather than just pray for them.

From an editing pov: As SQ mentioned, fair amount of shipping stuff this one. Starting with the “oh you mean friend close” and ending with them sat together at the end. Aeryn seems to be a little more emotionally ‘thawed’ than in season one.

Although interestingly, the blu-rays have an extended version of the scene where Crichton says ‘ I won’t let you go with Crais’. Where it ends in the episode, Aeryn then turns back to Crichton and says that she tried to fix everything but it’s all screwed up. I’ve gifed it here if you want to to take a look: http://thebluemeany.tumblr.com/post/...mind-the-baby.

It makes Aeryn going on Talyn if not a joint decision, then at least a more ‘Crichton approved’ choice. He literally takes her hand and leads her toward the baby Levithan at the end of it.

Which brings me on to the hand scene. Very pretty shot-wise Farscape has a thing about the symbolism of human hands/ handprints. It really comes out in Season 4, in the ‘What was lost’ episodes. A way of showing that Sebaceans and Humans are related.
                          Last edited by Bluemeany; 24 July 2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluemeany View Post
                            Mind the Baby

Wow, start of season two already.

And man, they just jump right back into it don’t they? No explaining, no recaps, no ‘previously on Farscape’. That’s a brave choice for original broadcast.

Even for the faithful season-one viewer, it would still have been a gap of a year. Never mind the poor sod tuning in for the first time: the ‘My name is John Crichton, I got shot through a wormhole’ intro isn’t really going to be helping them figure out the backstory to this episode.

To agree with what SQ said, I think Crichton is noticeably more ‘on the edge’ mentally. The annoying jokes are a part of that. As is the way he threatens Crais; it’s more unhinged than in the past. He even looks scary when arrives back on Moya (up until the point Chiana leap-hugs him).

It’s subtle, but I think it’s already there. Crichton is not quite in total control (Hey, kind of like Talyn? Maybe that’s meant to be a mirroring thing?).

My favourite scene is the one where Zahn is about to bliss off into oblivion and Aeryn calls her out on it. I really like that. It shows that for all her high ideals, Zahn can be insensitive to the suffering of others . Aeryn is the better person because she’s actually trying to help people, rather than just pray for them.

From an editing pov: As SQ mentioned, fair amount of shipping stuff this one. Starting with the “oh you mean friend close” and ending with them sat together at the end. Aeryn seems to be a little more emotionally ‘thawed’ than in season one.

Although interestingly, the blu-rays have an extended version of the scene where Crichton says ‘ I won’t let you go with Crais’. Where it ends in the episode, Aeryn then turns back to Crichton and says that she tried to fix everything but it’s all screwed up. I’ve gifed it here if you want to to take a look: http://thebluemeany.tumblr.com/post/...mind-the-baby.

It makes Aeryn going on Talyn if not a joint decision, then at least a more ‘Crichton approved’ choice. He literally takes her hand and leads her toward the baby Levithan at the end of it.

Which brings me on to the hand scene. Very pretty shot-wise Farscape has a thing about the symbolism of human hands/ handprints. It really comes out in Season 4, in the ‘What was lost’ episodes. A way of showing that Sebaceans and Humans are related.
                            WOW Blue I loved the additional blu Ray scene you posted the gifs of. You can't post up that whole scene on like you tube could you? LOL I would love to see the whole scene.

I wonder why they only included that on the Blu Ray edition? I'll check I have the Ultimate Collection DVD set so maybe it's in my deleted scenes? That's weird that they clipped that out on the DVD version.

How dare they edit out some of the shippy stuff

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                              WOW Blue I loved the additional blu Ray scene you posted the gifs of. You can't post up that whole scene on like you tube could you? LOL I would love to see the whole scene.

I wonder why they only included that on the Blu Ray edition? I'll check I have the Ultimate Collection DVD set so maybe it's in my deleted scenes? That's weird that they clipped that out on the DVD version.

How dare they edit out some of the shippy stuff
                              Sure thing. Here we go:

It's only 45 seconds though.

It's so short that I don't think it can be a cut for timing. I think it must be that it takes the relationship or the characters further than the overall series wanted them to be at that point...

Comment

Thanks for posting. I agree. But I wonder why on the blu Ray it's included and not a deleted scene?

Comment

Working...
                                X