No announcement yet.

just started watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't think the first episode was cheesy. I thought it was confusing, but not cheesy. Though to be fair, I spent all of season 1 and the first half of season 2 in a confused daze. So maybe I'm not the best to judge.

The puppets didn't bother me either, but again, that could be because I was grappling with intense confusion. I always felt just as baffled as Crichton in season 1, which I guess is part of the point. Still, I think if you keep watching, you'll find that the puppets don't bother you as much. And as puppets go, they're really quite good. I find the Farscape puppets less distracting than say... Thor when he's computer animated. Or, um, the CG dragon from "The Quest."

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
    Ok, just finished watching the pilot episode.

Well this wasn't the greatest first episode to a show, it indeed was... different I felt everything was rushed way to fast, but maybe it's just me. Hoping the future episodes slow down a bit.
    Yes, it is different.
    But if you're hoping it will slow down... oh boy are you in for a surprise! Does Farscape do "slow"? Okay, there are a couple of slow-ish episodes in season one, but after that it takes off at break-neck speeds again.

I always joke that you know a Farscape episode by the intro... I'm consistently stunned by how much they pack into their opening sequence. And the pace doesn't slow down much from there. Now I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but it seems to me that Farscape is pretty much a roller-coaster ride. There's not really anything "slow" about it. Which is why it's so dizzying when you start watching it. But once you get used to the pace, it's an exhilarating, wonderful, wild ride!
    Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
    Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      I didn't think the first episode was cheesy. I thought it was confusing, but not cheesy. Though to be fair, I spent all of season 1 and the first half of season 2 in a confused daze. So maybe I'm not the best to judge.

The puppets didn't bother me either, but again, that could be because I was grappling with intense confusion. I always felt just as baffled as Crichton in season 1, which I guess is part of the point.
      I think that makes you the average Farscape fan.

And that was the point. In one of the commentaries (I think), they said the idea, at least in the beginning, was for the viewer to see the farscape world thru Crichton's perspective.

He had plenty to be confused about. He gets flung thru the wormhole, before he can get his bearings his ship is hit, he's dragged into Moya, everything looks strange. He can't understand a thing anyone is saying, gets injected - now understands the words, but not necessarily the meaning, and then is tongued. Just typing this, I'm getting dizzzy.
      Last edited by Thunderstorm; 09 October 2008, 08:03 PM. Reason: Can't spell :)
      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
        I think that makes you the average Farscape fan.

And that was the point. In one of the commentaries (I think), they said the idea, at least in the beginning, was for the viewer to see the farscape world thru Crichton's perspective.

He had plenty to be confused about. He gets flung thru the wormhole, before he can get his bearings his ship is hit, he's dragged into Moya, everything looks strange. He can understand a thing anyone is saying, gets injected - now understands the words, but not necessarily the meaning, and then is tongued. Just typing this, I'm getting dizzzy.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. I'd forgotten that he got tongued right off the bat. hehe. Poor confused Crichton. I really need to go re-watch the pilot now.

Honestly though, the general confusion is a good thing. I kept watching the show in the hope of someday maybe understanding it. And by the time I did understand, I was hopelessly hooked. Plus, I think Farscape is more of a "thinking" show than the vast majority of TV shows out there. The confused state forces you to think about and puzzle through what you're watching. And that's one of the things I love about Farscape... it's not "mindless" television.

By the way, I'm not sure you can use the term "average Farscape fan." After all, there's really nothing "average" about Farscape, or its confused fans.
        Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
        Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

The first season and a bit is, well, weird lol. Definitely picks up as it goes along though and there are some really awesome arcs along season 3 and 4. But then there's the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries which I thought was crap :s. It would have been better if they had ended the show with season4, and got rid of the cliff hanger which really had nothing to do with anything that had happened and felt like it was only there so they could come to the show later.

Comment

Unfortunately Agent Dark, the series was canceled before they could change the end of S4. PK Wars was the wrap up promised to the fans, who got the backers to approach Brian Henson to do the mini-series. Not everyone thought the mini-series was crap though.
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

If I recall correctly, they got the news on one of the last days of shooting (or something like that). The season finale had already been shot, so there was no way they could change it

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
              The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
                If I recall correctly, they got the news on one of the last days of shooting (or something like that). The season finale had already been shot, so there was no way they could change it
                Yep pretty much. Up to that point, they thought they had S5 to go as well. Then the rug was pulled out from under them at the last minute. It was very, very sad. I was online at the special chat that David Kemper, Ben Browder and Richard Manning was at. Kemper told the fans to go make some noise. They did and that's how PK Wars was born. Because of the fan noise, as I said, the backers approached Brian with the money to make the mini-series.
                sigpic

Comment

I was first introduced to Farscape during the 2000 Sydney Olympics because I got tired of watching sports and was looking for something else (I found Farscape at about 1 or 2 AM). Now like most TV shows in Australia, the decent ones receive poor treatment from our Free to Air channels and Channel 9 was no different.

The first episode I caught was the season 3 episode "The Choice" and even then I only saw the last 15 minutes or so. I was completely confused; --> highlight to read:here was Aeryn mourning over John's death but in the following episodes he was alive and well. (hidden for those who haven't watched this far and don't wish to be spoiled) So my curiosity kicked in and I continued watching to the end of season 3. Channel 9 had other plans though and removed the show from air before screening season 4 and it was never seen again.

Fast forward 4 or so years to me wandering through Virgin and stumbling across the season 1 box set. For the entire 4 years after having first seen it, I'd never really stopped thinking about Farscape and what the show was about and seeing season 1 made me want to watch it even more. So I forked out the $149 they were asking for season 1 (they cost a fortune back then) and trekked home to watch.

I was instantly hooked. The characters were amazing, the plot OMG to die for and for once, here was a sci-fi show that didn't treat its audience like complete morons. The puppets didn't matter to me at all because, as I find even now, they have such wonderful personalities and I found I could empathise with Pilot and laugh with and at Rygel.

After spending the same money on the next 3 seasons, Farscape really proved to be worth the collective $500+ that I spent on it. There are some DVDs I've regretted wasting money buying, but Farscape ... I've never looked back.

I've noticed that some people have commented on how fast the show moves, however I see that as a blessing. It's almost as if, from the very start, TPTB knew the show had a short shelf life so they made the best of what time they did have and handled it so well that all the kudos' in the world wouldn't be enough. I thank them all for not mucking around and taking time in expanding plots and even though the plot does fly, it never leaves you with the feeling that "such and such" needed to be further explored. The only thing about the pace that is disappointing ... is that Farscape was over so quickly. It's a real sci-fi gem and I doubt it'll ever be replicated.

There are only a few episodes I don't really like watching -- I, E.T. for example, because looking for salt isn't exactly a solid plot driver -- however I fully understand their importance to the grander scale. I E.T. signifies an Earth reversal; rather than an alien making contact here, John's the one who's made contact elsewhere. The entire show makes its audience think and more importantly, take a long hard look at themselves. Farscape's moral compass is set high and true, however, it doesn't dictate to us and say "people of the 21st century you all completely s*** and need to rethink how you live". It's the subtlety and the messages within messages that I love ...

... and having a spectacular and fun cast doesn't help either!

Sorry about the long-i-tude of this, but I just felt the need to express my complete and utter love of this show!

Comment

Welcome to the board.

Enjoyed your post. One thing that has always puzzled me is why did Australian tv treat such a wonderful show as poorly as they did. Especially since Farscape was made in their own backyard with such hardworking and talented Australians, you'd think it would have been given more favorable treatment than it got.

I'm am so very glad the show was produced in Australia. It would not have been as great a show if it hadn't been, imo. No one other than WP could have ever played Scorpius. It was fate that Farscape was made where it was.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                      Welcome to the board.

Enjoyed your post. One thing that has always puzzled me is why did Australian tv treat such a wonderful show as poorly as they did. Especially since Farscape was made in their own backyard with such hardworking and talented Australians, you'd think it would have been given more favorable treatment than it got.

I'm am so very glad the show was produced in Australia. It would not have been as great a show if it hadn't been, imo. No one other than WP could have ever played Scorpius. It was fate that Farscape was made where it was.
                      I couldn't agree more. It was fate Farscape was made in Australia. A lot was added to the show because of that fact.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! I guess it's the same with all Australian TV. If it's not mindless dredge like Home and Away or Neighbours (or any other Aussie show that requires no brain and thought processes whatsoever) it's never given a fair go.

Remember The Pretender? Another completely awesome show (not Aussie though but it required dedication and thought too) but was treated badly by Aussie TV. I guess they just continue to believe that the majority of Aussie audiences want lame-o TV and you know what? They're probably right, however, that doesn't give them the right to ignore the intelligent minority.

I've always preferred TV shows that make me think; if I didn't wish to use my brain, I'd become one of those people who can just sit back and watch H&A 24/7 (I've never seen an episode in my life). But I can't. I've never been one to watch something and just take it in. I'm always questioning and thinking things through (just ask my friends. I'm terrible to take to movies!).

But back to Farscape. I was surprised after watching it and realising that it was mainly an Australian production and after how it was treated out here, I never would've guessed. But I'm so proud to live in a country that had something to do with such a wonderful show. I just wish that our free-to-air TV would give quirky, un-mainstream shows a fair go.

I'm also glad that through much petitioning we were able to get the closure we deserved. Although PK Wars wasn't the greatest of all time, it lived up to all my expectations and proved to be a fitting end for such a clever and interesting show.

Farscape rocks!

Comment

Over the years I've heard from other Aussies that scifi really doesn't do well there. Shame cause I know a few Aussies that LOVE it.

It's fabulous that FS was mainly an Aussie show.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RivErStaR View Post
                            Thanks for the welcome! I guess it's the same with all Australian TV. If it's not mindless dredge like Home and Away or Neighbours (or any other Aussie show that requires no brain and thought processes whatsoever) it's never given a fair go.

Remember The Pretender? Another completely awesome show (not Aussie though but it required dedication and thought too) but was treated badly by Aussie TV. I guess they just continue to believe that the majority of Aussie audiences want lame-o TV and you know what? They're probably right, however, that doesn't give them the right to ignore the intelligent minority.

I've always preferred TV shows that make me think; if I didn't wish to use my brain, I'd become one of those people who can just sit back and watch H&A 24/7 (I've never seen an episode in my life). But I can't. I've never been one to watch something and just take it in. I'm always questioning and thinking things through (just ask my friends. I'm terrible to take to movies!).

But back to Farscape. I was surprised after watching it and realising that it was mainly an Australian production and after how it was treated out here, I never would've guessed. But I'm so proud to live in a country that had something to do with such a wonderful show. I just wish that our free-to-air TV would give quirky, un-mainstream shows a fair go.

I'm also glad that through much petitioning we were able to get the closure we deserved. Although PK Wars wasn't the greatest of all time, it lived up to all my expectations and proved to be a fitting end for such a clever and interesting show.

Farscape rocks!
                            And now, with the comics coming out starting next month, the story will continue. And, hopefully soon, the webisodes.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

definatly keep at it i have every season in limited edition plus the finalie movie that was produced when sci fi stopped funding it to clean up the cliff hanger for the next season that was never made.

Comment

Originally posted by icelandicwolf View Post
                                Just started watching farscape..am up to episode 7, am enjoying it of sorts. some of the story lines are just plain daft, and outside the main actors some of the acting is just a joke...please tell me it gets better
                                You haven't even scratched the surface.. not sure how you are watching it... DVD? or is there an offical download website? If so, try to watch it on a large HDTV.

My Story:
                                http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

Working...
                                X