Farscape Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cshawzye View Post
    Loved 'Mind The Baby'! Was a great way to wrap up the stuff that ended the first season and to open the second. I'm so close to being done the second season. Don't have the third but I'm looking for a place to get it or watch it. If it's half as good, which I'm sure it is, as the end of season one opening of season two I can't wait!
    If you haven't watched the S2 ender yet, make sure you have the 1st ep of S3 handy. It's a doozy. Easily my favorite of all the season finales. Now since S1 finale is my least favorite of the 4, I'd say S2 last ep is 10 times better than S1, and with 10 times more angst. I don't know what I would have been like if I had been watching back when it originally aired. Having to wait for the next season to start would have been terrible. I was watching them thru Netflix and having to wait a couple days for the next DVD to arrive was bad enough.

Spoiler for S2
    Spoiler:
    So what did you think of John slowly going crazy?
    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      Nice! My library has just ordered season three, so, very happy scaper over here, hopefully season four won't be too far behind.

Loving season two so far, seen the first four eps, plus one other random one that was on tv.
      Before you know it, you'll have seen all the eps. Just enjoy each and every blessed one.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
        Before you know it, you'll have seen all the eps. Just enjoy each and every blessed one.
        Haha- when I say not far behind, I mean in stock by next January or February. Definitly not rushing, did watch three eps this evening though, all ones I'd already seen though. Waiting for the next two discs.

And definitly enjoying them- there's nothing quite like watching a great series for the first time- except maybe watching it for the second time?

Comment

Friday's Burbank convention photos are up now: http://www.genrefans.com/ConventionPhotos/farscape06/.

As a reminder, please don't put them on photobucket, imageshack, or any other image hosting site (when I find them there, I get them removed). See http://www.genrefans.com/copyright.php for my policies.

I have set up my site so that you can hotlink from GenreFans.com in any gateworld forum using the image tag. Only gateword is allowed to hotlink since this is an excellent and honest site.

Enjoy!

-matt

Comment

Originally posted by battmeals View Post
            Friday's Burbank convention photos are up now: http://www.genrefans.com/ConventionPhotos/farscape06/.

As a reminder, please don't put them on photobucket, imageshack, or any other image hosting site (when I find them there, I get them removed). See http://www.genrefans.com/copyright.php for my policies.

I have set up my site so that you can hotlink from GenreFans.com in any gateworld forum using the image tag. Only gateword is allowed to hotlink since this is an excellent and honest site.

Enjoy!

-matt
            Thank you soooooo much for the photos!! *hugs*
            Spoiler:

Comment

SNIFFLES. My library does not have the Starburst Editions. Oh well. At least I get to watch the show! Season 2 is STILL In processing!
              However I am busy watching Angel instead. Saw season 1 and just got season 2. I never did get to see the whole show but for now I just have to settle for up to season 2.
              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                If you haven't watched the S2 ender yet, make sure you have the 1st ep of S3 handy. It's a doozy. Easily my favorite of all the season finales. Now since S1 finale is my least favorite of the 4, I'd say S2 last ep is 10 times better than S1, and with 10 times more angst. I don't know what I would have been like if I had been watching back when it originally aired. Having to wait for the next season to start would have been terrible. I was watching them thru Netflix and having to wait a couple days for the next DVD to arrive was bad enough.

Spoiler for S2
                Spoiler:
                So what did you think of John slowly going crazy?
                I figured I'd end up waiting until I had at least the first disk of s3 or I could find it on syndication before watching the end of s2. I know a couple of days ago on one of the channels here, "A channel" or something like that, they were playing the Look at the Princess trilogy. So they can't be far from airing s3 since they play a new episode daily. Right now I have the second trilogy and the finale left of s2.

Season 2 Spoilers.
                Spoiler:

So far in the season I've really enjoyed watching John's progression and the ups and downs with Scorpius. When John didn't kill Scorpius at the end of LATP I was intrigued. The way Ben played that was great. The conflict and confusion came through well. I think the whole thing between John and Scorpius is very interesting epsecially because of the duality in the situation. I mean, it protects Scorpius because John doesn't kill him when he obviously has the chance. It also gives Scoripus control over John but then again, at certain times, it seems to be advantageous to Crichton and the crew. Like in "A Clockwork Nebari," I thought that it was really interesting that this neuro-chip based connection is actually a benefit to the crew. As Scorpius tells Crichton to fight the cleansing and keep his own mind, so to speak anyway. Then the same kind of thing in "Won't Get Fooled Again" where it's because of what Scorpius has done that John is able to get away from the Scarran. Although, I guess, if the Scarran didn't know Scorpius was after Crichton then they might have left him alone. Either way though, it's made for some very interesting viewing, that's for sure.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                  SNIFFLES. My library does not have the Starburst Editions. Oh well. At least I get to watch the show! Season 2 is STILL In processing!
                  Perhaps another LIBRARIES will be able to help you with Farscape Starburst DVDs
                  T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Translation microbes on episode 1.02 I, E.T.

I've re-watched this episode, which was interesting because it put a human in the shoes of aliens that crash on Earth. We see the perspective of discovering alien life form from the other point of view.

But I had a problem understanding how the natives of this planet could understand what Crichton was saying. I suspect that the translating microbes must be common nature on this planet and that the natives have them. Otherwise it would be impossible, we've seen in the pilot episode that Crichton, who didn't have the microbes couldn't understand D'argo & Zhaan.

I'm not very familiar with the following seasons of Farscape so I don't know if they explain where the microbes come from... maybe this planet is the homeworld of these entities, and space-traveling races visited this planet without showing themselves to the natives. That's why that woman was interested in astronomy/UFO, there has been UFO sightings before.

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post

I've re-watched this episode, which was interesting because it put a human in the shoes of aliens that crash on Earth. We see the perspective of discovering alien life form from the other point of view.

But I had a problem understanding how the natives of this planet could understand what Crichton was saying. I suspect that the translating microbes must be common nature on this planet and that the natives have them. Otherwise it would be impossible, we've seen in the pilot episode that Crichton, who didn't have the microbes couldn't understand D'argo & Zhaan.

I'm not very familiar with the following seasons of Farscape so I don't know if they explain where the microbes come from... maybe this planet is the homeworld of these entities, and space-traveling races visited this planet without showing themselves to the natives. That's why that woman was interested in astronomy/UFO, there has been UFO sightings before.

You will find that in Farscape there are certain times where its best just to
                      smile and shrug. lol But in this case you have a very nice solution.
                      Translator microbes are not ever explained except that when you hear anyone
                      other than Crichton speaking, then you are hearing them as Crichton hears them. That is why certain words don't always translate (hezmana, arn, etc.)
                      Most of the time things in Farscape are not explained in any detail.
                      You just have to accept it and go with it or create your own explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by cajnjirl View Post
                        Translator microbes are not ever explained except that when you hear anyone
                        other than Crichton speaking, then you are hearing them as Crichton hears them. That is why certain words don't always translate (hezmana, arn, etc.)
                        Like Rygel says in the fourth season, "Things happen because they do." I forget what he said exactly, but that's the point he was trying to make.
                        sigpic
                        "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                        Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

I bought some of the season 3 & 4 DVDs (I'm waiting to find the single sided before I get any of the first 2 seasons) and I watched Scratch & Sniff last night. OMG! I laughed so much during that episode. It was insane, I think it was funnier then Won't Be Fooled Again and that had some funny stuff! Maybe it's my quirky sense of humor (I noticed GW only gave it 2 starts), but I love how Farscape does comedy!

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post

That's the solution I use for this ep, I recall that in one of the magazine articles the creators admit to just overlooking the translator problem here, understandable, as this was one of the first episodes filmed, and they were still preoccupied with getting everything and everybody up and running smoothly. Had they done this one later on, they likely would have caught the mistake. I can easily forgive them everytime I see that great shot of Moya rising up out of the lake, streams of water cascading down from her as she takes off, somebody really deserves to take a bow for that one.....

Bill K

Comment

Originally posted by joshing123 View Post
                              but I love how Farscape does comedy!
                              Totally with you on that one! Although I'm still in s2 from the episodes I've seen with a more comedic flare I love the way it's done in the show. Even in some of the more serious episodes the comedic scenes or elements that are put in always enhance what's going on in the story; instead of just being there for the sake of having a light-hearted minute or a moment of comedy. I can't wait to see some more of the comedic moments I know are around the corner.

Originally posted by cajnjirl View Post

That whole idea is something kinda interesting to think about, IMO. I think when you decide to watch sci fi type shows (heck, probably even any type of television) you have to put yourself in that type of mindset. Everyone who makes the show works their hardest to explain everything but sometimes when you're dealing with shows that dable with fantasy and/or situations unknown and uncommon to our own relaities there are going to be a few roadblocks. As long as it doesn't hinder the quality of the show then no harm done. Actually it can be kinda fun because you then have to create that explanation and in a way become part of the show (if only in your own mind).

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                              "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Originally posted by joshing123 View Post
                                I bought some of the season 3 & 4 DVDs (I'm waiting to find the single sided before I get any of the first 2 seasons) and I watched Scratch & Sniff last night. OMG! I laughed so much during that episode. It was insane, I think it was funnier then Won't Be Fooled Again and that had some funny stuff! Maybe it's my quirky sense of humor (I noticed GW only gave it 2 starts), but I love how Farscape does comedy!
                                Try HERE. As far as I know they have seasons 1 & 2 of Starburst singlesided. You can contact them by e-mail to confirm this.
                                T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Working...
                                X