Farscape Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd give it another try.

I personally found it very easy to get into the show. But I didn't know anything about it, I just stumbled into "Premiere" one Saturday afternoon. By "Throne For A Loss" (broadcasted as ep 2 in Austria) I was hooked and bought the DVDs.
    What I'm trying to say is, I didn't have any expectations. I didn't know that "It's great! You gotta watch it! You'll love it."

I think it's a great series, but I also think it's not your run of the mill TV show. It's a little bit edgier, weirder and later on also a lot darker than your average show.
    It's definitely not for everyone. My brother couldn't get into it at all.

But there's a lot to look forward to in S1. I'll try to tell you a bit without really giving away spoilers. But be warned.

DNAmad Scientist: IMO the best prove that FS isn't Star Trek or Stargate. There the main characters would never do that.

Durka Returns: A return and an entrance with lasting effect

A Human Reaction:It really wasn't supposed to be like this. An eye opener for John.

Nerve/ The Hidden Memory:Things turn a lot darker from here on. But don't let that put you off. Afterwards you might ask: "Vader who?"

I hope that even if you shouldn't get into it, you'll spend some enjoyable time.

A.
    VALA - COOL, FUNNY, SEXY, SMART

Comment

I also found the series very easy to get into. Like you, Vala, I, too, didn't know anything about the show before I decided to give it a try one Sunday night over six months ago, starting with the Premeire.

But, with the setting being aboard a living ship--a pretty one, at that--and with the appearence of Pilot, it didn't take long at all for it to work into my regular TV schedule.

Actually, it was mostly because of Moya and Pilot that I returned to watch FarScape the second and third times. You might say I had a crush on Moya...
      sigpic
      "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
      Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Originally posted by ValaMalduran
        I think it's a great series, but I also think it's not your run of the mill TV show. It's a little bit edgier, weirder and later on also a lot darker than your average show.
        Oh, you're very right there. Farscape is definitely not your "run of the mill" show. For those who can't get into it, that's too bad. But, as you said, it isn't for everyone unfortunately. Those who do "get" the show though, are in for a real treat if you ask me. Farscape is such a strong show with great characters and deep stories.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I watched Out of Minds today (I had it tivo-ed) and, again, I liked it for the most part. I think my main peeve against the show is the giant puppet (not Pilot, I like the idea of Moya and Pilot) Rygel. He's sooooo annoying. And fake. He has been a distraction to me from the start. And all the juvenile humor surrounding the character. First the farts, then he PEED fire (yes, I know it was the chemical interacting with his body), and still more pee jokes in Out of Minds. I like the other characters (not emotionally invested, but like nonetheless) but I can't stand him. Please tell me the writers grow up and drop the 5th grade jokes in regards to the giant puppet.

That's the only aspect of the show I 'don't get'. Oh yeah, and I really really like Chiana even though I know nothing of her backstory; more so than the leads. Perhaps that's why I like the later seasons.

Comment

Personally, I loved Rygel as a character. He was one of my favorite aspects of Farscape. As to your question, no, he doesn't change much. There are some nice moments with his character down the road, though. Don't give up on him yet.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Especially
              Spoiler:
              after he carries Aeryn and Johns baby inside him, he goes all soft after that

I am your father
              Noooo

Comment

Originally posted by Redmen
                Especially
                Spoiler:
                after he carries Aeryn and Johns baby inside him, he goes all soft after that
                LOL

Rygel's always been a big softy. But at the same time - despite his very annyoing body functions - there are lots of moments in the show that remind you that he's not just a pathetic Dominar wannabe, but that he actually knows his way around the world of "diplomacy" and big players.
                E. g. in S1 + 2 : DNAmad Scientist; Durka Returns; Family Ties; Look At The Princess trilogy; Liars, Guns and Money trilogy; Die Me Dichotomy

A.
                VALA - COOL, FUNNY, SEXY, SMART

Comment

Rygel after a helium release

I am your father
                  Noooo

Comment

Rygel after a helium release

He looks rather relieved! (smilie)
                    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk
                      He looks rather relieved! (smilie)
                      Indeed! I know I always am. Farting helium would be so funny.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

lol, you guys are great. I was afraid I might have come across as a bit hard on the character, but you guys have managed to turn it around and point out his silliness. And I definitely recognize a couple of you as pro-SG1 in the main forums.. I've said it before and I'll say it again; you guys are so much more relaxed and laid back than the anti's.

Anyway, I'll try not to take Rygel too seriously and see if I can get pass that annoyance. I did laugh aloud when he said he wasn't being paranoid about the others ignoring him (though he wasn't exactly himself..)

I don't know what season the split Johns are in, but I think that arc really show a lot of potential.. too bad my station don't show the episodes in order..

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                          lol, you guys are great. I was afraid I might have come across as a bit hard on the character, but you guys have managed to turn it around and point out his silliness. And I definitely recognize a couple of you as pro-SG1 in the main forums.. I've said it before and I'll say it again; you guys are so much more relaxed and laid back than the anti's.

Anyway, I'll try not to take Rygel too seriously and see if I can get pass that annoyance. I did laugh aloud when he said he wasn't being paranoid about the others ignoring him (though he wasn't exactly himself..)

I don't know what season the split Johns are in, but I think that arc really show a lot of potential.. too bad my station don't show the episodes in order..
                          Thanks for the compliment. We try and be laid-back around here. I'm glad you're going to give Rygel more of a chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

As for the "split" Crichton's, that's Season 3. Just for your info. Episode where it all goes down is called "Eat Me". Awesome title, huh?
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I, too, didn't care much for Rygel at first. But, as the series moved on, I began to appreciate him.
                            sigpic
                            "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                            Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Farscape bloopers thanks to ValaCB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOSY5...2Ephp%3FId%3D1

I am your father
                              Noooo

Comment

Now that was just freaking awesome. Many laughs in that one.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X