Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eureka canceled. Season 5 next year, beyond that, nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And then there's little ol' me. Who doesn't own a dvr and probably never will. Who despises reality tv in any form. Who's getting fed up with SyFy.
    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Well, I guess SyFy has another free hour to fill with God**** wrestling!

Comment

When enough people - and i'm not talking just fans here, i'm talking regular people - stop watching the ratings will fall and Skiffy will change their programming.

I do think that reality tv is on a downward slide, simply because there are only so many ideas out there and shows keep getting more and more far fetched...but I do think that downward slide will take many more years
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          When enough people - and i'm not talking just fans here, i'm talking regular people - stop watching the ratings will fall and Skiffy will change their programming.

I do think that reality tv is on a downward slide, simply because there are only so many ideas out there and shows keep getting more and more far fetched...but I do think that downward slide will take many more years
          From your keyboard to God's ears - or tptb at various networks at any rate.
          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I think, over all, people are getting bored with them. Survivor only got renewed for one season and its ratings are slipping, as are others.

Look at how silly some of them are getting....hillybilly handfishing?

can you really see undercover boss running forever without folks catching on? or 'take the money and run'

Overall they keep having to come up with more and more ideas, and i do think they are starting to run out of viable ones.

BUT

there's still the 'train wreck' factor of things like toddlers and tiaras, or the family drama of deadliest catch (half the show's appeal is the family dynamics on some of the crews)...some have a certain appeal. Others a limited appeal.

How many times can someone watch America's got talent before you get sick of it?

I don't think it'll ever go away, but I do see things getting more and more outrageous as the years go on
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hillbilly Handfishing is the kind of show you watch once, for once you've seen one episode you're truly seen them all. Plus the biggest problem with reality shows is the majority of people on those shows are very annoying and unlikeable. And I don't understand why these people get to be so popular. In the real world, those kinds of people get their asses beat.

Comment

Shows such as "Heroes" and "True Blood" demonstrate that people who don't consider themselves hardcore scifi/fantasy fans will watch shows from those genres, and such shows can become media darlings, getting all kinds of hype. Over the years, Skiffy had the opportunity to build, and nurture, a core audience of fans. Then, expand upon the viewer base with quality scripted programming, and working hard to get the word out.

Even when they have good programs -- Eureka, and others -- Skiffy doesn't build up an audience because they don't advertise the shows, or the channel, to casual viewers. Running commercials about Skiffy solely on Skiffy is not going to build up viewership. I think the money spent on re-branding the channel's name would have been better spent getting the word out about Skiffy and its programs. Re-brand casual viewers perception of the genre. To me, currently Skiffy is less about quality original programming, and more about trying to make a fast buck with junky "reality" show kitsch. When I think of today's Skiffy, I certainly don't think of "Taken," "The Lost Room," or "Tin Man."

How many times can someone watch America's got talent before you get sick of it?
                Me? Once.
                My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

Oh man, I hope so!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Last week:
                    Jersey Shore: 7.8 million viewers for the first airing, another 3.1 million viewers for the repeat right afterward and amazingly the median age is 23.

Pawn Stars: 5.5 million viewers @ 10:30 PM, 5.0 million viewers @10:00 PM Monday

WWE(USA): 5.2 million viewers at 9PM Monday, 4.9 million viewers at 10 PM.

Storage Wars: 5.0 million viewers @ 10:30 Wednesday, 4.5 million viewers @10:00

American Pickers: 3.4 million viewers.

Meanwhile, all Eureka could muster was 2.2 million viewers. Five different airings of Storage Wars and four different airings of Pawn Stars had more viewers than Eureka did and that's just Monday through Thursday.
                    Last edited by MediaSavant; 22 August 2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                      Last week:
                      Jersey Shore: 7.8 million viewers for the first airing, another 3.1 million viewers for the repeat right afterward and amazingly the median age is 23.

Pawn Stars: 5.5 million viewers @ 10:30 PM, 5.0 million viewers @10:00 PM Monday

Meanwhile, all Eureka could muster was 2.2 million viewers. Five different airings of Storage Wars and four different airings of Pawn Stars had more viewers than Eureka did and that's just Monday through Thursday.
                      Number like that are so upsetting. It's the same here in the UK - Over 10 million people watched The X Factor, 5 million watched Big Brother, It seems all people want to watch these days is reality shows and other rubbish.
                      sigpic

Comment

Last week:

Every one of those is horribly misleading. Every network that airs those shows have massively larger subscriber bases than Syfylis. You'd have to do a more per-capita analysis.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Pawn Stars is A&E number 1 show (and I think their highest ever for their network). Also I like to watch it for the history of the various items, especially when they have things several hundred years old. So I don't consider it in the vein of the other shows.
                          sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Every one of those is horribly misleading. Every network that airs those shows have massively larger subscriber bases than Syfylis. You'd have to do a more per-capita analysis.
                            WRONG.

Syfy caught up to all the major networks several years ago. Its subscriber base is the same size as all the networks shone.

Where do you get your research?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                              Pawn Stars is A&E number 1 show (and I think their highest ever for their network). Also I like to watch it for the history of the various items, especially when they have things several hundred years old. So I don't consider it in the vein of the other shows.
                              Now, there you go.

It falls into the category of unscripted TV. No one involved is a member of the writers guild or the actors guild.

But, you like it. So, it doesn't count as one of those damned "reality shows".

Comment

Now, there you go.

It falls into the category of unscripted TV. No one involved is a member of the writers guild or the actors guild.

But, you like it. So, it doesn't count as one of those damned "reality shows".
                                It's got lost of history lessons in it so it's not strictly fluff. But If you only watched 5 min of it, I can see how you would get a different impression.I think it probably depends on how much you like history to sit thru the junk to get to the good stuff.I tried watching Storage Wars, thinking it would be along the same lines, but while a few epsiodes were interesting, it's turned into mostly bickering and back stabbing, etc so I don't watch it.
                                Last edited by Thunderstorm; 22 August 2011, 09:10 PM.
                                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Working...
                                X