Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
    1. We are just getting ready to start the 3rd season on July 29th

2. Michael Shanks was in Season 2 Episode All that Glitters (ep 212)
    okey thanks

Comment

Hey guys - I have a question. I'm just starting to watch S2. In the first episode (in which I've just gotten to the opening credits)
      Spoiler:
      how is it that Henry remembers the four years of the old time line? I can understand why Jack does, but this Henry isn't the Henry that lived through those years. Is it just one of those things you have to accept and not think about it too much?
      Any thoughts?
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
        Hey guys - I have a question. I'm just starting to watch S2. In the first episode (in which I've just gotten to the opening credits)
        Spoiler:
        how is it that Henry remembers the four years of the old time line? I can understand why Jack does, but this Henry isn't the Henry that lived through those years. Is it just one of those things you have to accept and not think about it too much?
        Any thoughts?
        That Henry is the one that went back before Jack did, before the events occurred that required Jack's travel.
        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
          That Henry is the one that went back before Jack did, before the events occurred that required Jack's travel.
          Yes, that's why I'm confused. If that's the Henry that went back before Jack did, and Jack stopped him before he could prevent Kim's death, then that Henry didn't live through the next four years with Kim alive. So how could he remember it?
          - Life after Stargate -
          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, that's why I'm confused. If that's the Henry that went back before Jack did, and Jack stopped him before he could prevent Kim's death, then that Henry didn't live through the next four years with Kim alive. So how could he remember it?
            He didn't remember the time with Kim alive. He remembered the years after she died before he came back to save her which created the events of the season 1 finale. What he remembers and what Jack remembered were two different timelines.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

BOTH of them remembered everything that had happened. In the first ep of S2 Jack was having a hard time keeping track of the current timeline and his "remembered" timeline/future. Jack didn't forget until Henry used the memory erasure device on him and since he didn't use it on himself he still remembers the "original" future.

Or do you mean how could either of them have remembered a future that didn't happen? Because that's easy enough: time is wibbly wobbly.

That future did exist and Jack and Henry existed in it. Traveling back in time and changing the past doesn't cancel out their existence, it just means they don't have a future to which they can return (assuming for a moment return was even possible). They must still exist, otherwise there'd be the whole paradox of "if they don't exist then they didn't travel back in time and the future wasn't changed."

Of course, technically there could also be a version of the present/future where Jack wasn't in time to stop Henry, but seeing as the universe (multiverse?) didn't explode it's either a weak possibility (and thus one that doesn't have enough influence to wipe us all out) or things still managed to work themselves out.

Actually, I'm not entirely sure if the "original" future is gone or not. Did the mucking about in the past (or present, if you prefer) collapse that waveform? I think that was what the show implied (I haven't seen the ep since it aired so I can't remember) but it could just be that the "original" future is no longer accessible (if it ever was) because events in the past/present changed and set things on a new track.

Wibbly wobbly. Just leave it at that. You'll get a headache if you think about it too much.

Comment

Thinking about things like that might make my brain esplode!
                sigpic

Comment

I think I need to watch Eureka again before season 3 starts...

Comment

I just watched s1 on DVD a couple months ago and I'm loving the quirky-ness of this show!! Then, what do I discover today?!? S2 is on DVD in about a month ~ woo hoo!! Anyone up for a run-through before s3 airs?

Also, um... when does s3 air? 7/29, right? My brain went all biddibly with the recent BSG stuff.
                    Last edited by Pic; 18 June 2008, 08:40 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                      He didn't remember the time with Kim alive. He remembered the years after she died before he came back to save her which created the events of the season 1 finale. What he remembers and what Jack remembered were two different timelines.
                      Well, see, that makes sense, if that's the case. But I thought the show implied that Henry DID remember the years with Kim alive, and that's why I was confused.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      BOTH of them remembered everything that had happened.
                      Yes, that's what I thought - I just don't understand how.
                      In the first ep of S2 Jack was having a hard time keeping track of the current timeline and his "remembered" timeline/future. Jack didn't forget until Henry used the memory erasure device on him and since he didn't use it on himself he still remembers the "original" future.

Or do you mean how could either of them have remembered a future that didn't happen? Because that's easy enough: time is wibbly wobbly.

That future did exist and Jack and Henry existed in it. Traveling back in time and changing the past doesn't cancel out their existence, it just means they don't have a future to which they can return (assuming for a moment return was even possible). They must still exist, otherwise there'd be the whole paradox of "if they don't exist then they didn't travel back in time and the future wasn't changed."
                      No, I understand why Jack remembers it, because he traveled back from that future. But the Henry from that future did NOT travel back. The Henry now is a different Henry. This is the Henry before the future was changed. So how can he remember it?
                      Wibbly wobbly. Just leave it at that. You'll get a headache if you think about it too much.
                      Well, that's true enough. I never could figure out the Terminator time-travel loop either - I just had to not think about it.
                      Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
                      I just watched s1 on DVD a couple months ago and I'm loving the quirky-ness of this show!! Then, what do I discover today?!? S2 is on DVD in about a month ~ woo hoo!! Anyone up for a run-through before s3 airs?
                      Just got done with that actually, but I wouldn't mind another run through - it's only 25 episodes. And even if I don't rewatch them they're fresh enough in my mind to discuss.

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
                      Also, um... when does s3 air? 7/29, right? My brain went all biddibly with the recent BSG stuff.
                      I think that's right.
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      sigpic

Comment

No, I understand why Jack remembers it, because he traveled back from that future. But the Henry from that future did NOT travel back. The Henry now is a different Henry. This is the Henry before the future was changed. So how can he remember it?
                        Maybe I've simply forgotten the ep, but I thought both of them traveled back. Lemme see if this helps me sort it out:

Kim dies in accident.
                        Henry suffers with the loss for years until he finds a way to travel in time.
                        Henry jumps back to just before the accident and sabotages the project.

Kim lives.
                        Henry (who remembers the Kimless future) lives happily with Kim until the future falls apart.
                        Jack, clued in to what happens, travels back and stops Future-Henry from sabotaging the project.

Kim dies in accident.
                        Jack (who remembers the Kim future) and Henry (who remembers the Kimless future) struggle to adapt to the past.
                        Henry uses a memory erasure device on Jack so he won't remember the unrealized future anymore.
                        Henry suffers with the loss of Kim, with his failure to save her, and with the knowledge that changed timeline or no, he still has to face a Kimless future.

That's how I remember it, but as I said, it's been a long time since I've seen the ep.

Comment

I don't mean to throw you guys of your topic but I just wanted to say somthing. I really like Eureka the first season, it was a rather uplifting Sci Fi like show, but with the season finally it got wierd and a dramtic, and that was not why I watched it. And that mechanic got all mean, I liked it when he was nice and happy, he was the cornerstone of the whole show. Any way thats why I no longer watch it, not as happy.

Comment

Here's some info on the 3rd season from TVGuide.

Any idea how many episodes of Eureka we're getting this summer? Yes, 21 were ordered, but we all know how Sci Fi likes to put insane breaks in the middle of seasons. — Brynna
                            Mitovich:
                            Insane breaks, you say? Balderdash! Now before I go, let me tell you that the summer season will serve up, um, eight episodes, starting July 29.
                            http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...inds/800041824
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                              I don't mean to throw you guys of your topic but I just wanted to say somthing. I really like Eureka the first season, it was a rather uplifting Sci Fi like show, but with the season finally it got wierd and a dramtic, and that was not why I watched it. And that mechanic got all mean, I liked it when he was nice and happy, he was the cornerstone of the whole show. Any way thats why I no longer watch it, not as happy.
                              I can understand that. S2 was definitely a different flavor from S1, but I still found it enjoyable enough to keep watching. I've developed a certain wariness regarding S3, though, and will be... interested to see how things are handled.

Comment

Maybe I've simply forgotten the ep, but I thought both of them traveled back. Lemme see if this helps me sort it out:

Kim dies in accident.
                                Henry suffers with the loss for years until he finds a way to travel in time.
                                Henry jumps back to just before the accident and sabotages the project.

Kim lives.
                                Henry (who remembers the Kimless future) lives happily with Kim until the future falls apart.
                                Jack, clued in to what happens, travels back and stops Future-Henry from sabotaging the project.

Kim dies in accident.
                                Jack (who remembers the Kim future) and Henry (who remembers the Kimless future) struggle to adapt to the past.
                                Henry uses a memory erasure device on Jack so he won't remember the unrealized future anymore.
                                Henry suffers with the loss of Kim, with his failure to save her, and with the knowledge that changed timeline or no, he still has to face a Kimless future.

That's how I remember it, but as I said, it's been a long time since I've seen the ep.
                                That makes sense. My problem is that it seemed to me that Henry remembered the Kim future, and I couldn't understand how. But maybe he didn't - maybe I misunderstood that part.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X