No announcement yet.

The Snowmen (2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else notice that Clara's gravestone says she was born on November 23? Admittedly not 1963 (at least, not this Clara/Oswin...), but still. Is this just a nod to a significant date in Who history, or will it actually be an arc point?
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      It could be because I had to stay up bloody late based on my current shift patterns and the time this was aired where I currently am, and because every now and then I had to shoot death glares at some colleagues who decided to have conversations.... but this episode didn't thrill me. Which is dissapointing. When I get the opportunity to watch this again in the UK, then I will re-assess my opinion. But apart from the opening sequence (which was GLORIOUS), much of the episode felt like a hangover from the RTD era. Not so impressed. The Snowmen themselves didn't interest me, and the Ice-Governess just didn'twork for me, particularly with Moffat's trademark out of place one liner ('are you my mummy', 'who turned out the lights'), something that worked the first time, but hasn't since.

I found the Doctor's character far too easily wavering back to his traditional self, which was dissapoinint. I'm intrigued by Oswin - looks like this could be an interesting arc... the scenes with the Great Intelligence in the 'lab' were very good, and I hope it's revisited - why doesn't the Doctor remember it though?

Much as I like her character, I resent the implication that Vastra is Holmes, however, it was implied in the Talons of Weng Chiang that the Doctor was the inspiration for Holmes. Strax, alternatively, is amazing.
      I had no problem with vastra being holmes. After all the Doctor may be the original inspiration but when you compare them he isn't really all that Holmes like. Tom Baker was far too dotty for that, so Doyle got inspiration from the Doctor but then modeled the character on Vastras exploits. The Doctor still feels akin to the role though since he was running around claiming to be Holmes.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Thank Goodness. Who hasn't completely lost it. After a lackluster front half (minus the debut of Oswin), this episode reminds that Who can be interesting.

The Good:
        I liked Clara, and the Oswin mystery works ok. Of course it will likely become yet another mystery Moffat doesn't bother to fully answer, but at least she is entertaining. I appreciate that she has spunk but isn't brassy.

The side companions were amusing, and I liked the return of the Doctor via the selection of the new companion.

The lack of Amy. Only one pond reference. Amy's "takeover" of Who has really hurt the show for me. The show became about her, her choices, her child, her life and not death. This special united a companion's story with the Doctor.

The lack of horrifying levels of sentiment. The tears at the end got close, but the episode worked so much better than last year's terrible special.

The Troubling:
        How old is the Doctor? Is he still married? Yes, the DVD episodes explained everything, but the show has not yet.

Can he not romance the companions, please? We don't need a Rose, Martha, Amy (sort of) repeat.

Overall, an ok special. 8/10.
        Last edited by MasySyma; 26 December 2012, 03:11 PM.
        "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I thought it was an awesome episode! Much better than last year's. But what's with Clara/Oswin? Can she not die, and just jumps to a different time at her apparent "death"?
          || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Oswin will be the Kenny of Dr.WHO
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed the episode a lot. Much better then I thought it was going to be. Strax was a riot!! Esp. the part with the worm... "Sir emergency!! I think I've been run over by a cab!!" Hahahahahaha.

I'm not sure I get the GI connection... going to look that up now.

I like Clara. but I really miss the Ponds. And I hope River is back at some point... I liked that whole group.

Overall, I'd give it a 8/10. Looking forward to the return of the show.

Comment

I very much enjoyed this special. More so than the last few.

The introduction of a new companion is always special and Moffat seems to have outdone himself. He has tricked us not once, but twice. The Doctor still has not met the new companion!

I do have to wonder if the gangers will have anything to do with the multiple Claras, if we can call them that? Or are they mulitple Oswins?

Strax was superb. As were Vastra and Jenny.

On another note I am enjoying the haters going on about how its Moffat and his homosexual agenda of gay marriage. Yes, you have a lizard woman dinosaur from the dawn of time getting married to a human and apparently what bothers people is its to a woman. Too ironical!

In fact, the mulitple known characters in this special were actually a very good plot tool since time is limited and you can just get into the story with people you know.

I could really see the love and care that Moffat put into this. I think he had kinda been focusing on other things and was slipping a bit. This was true Who.
                Last edited by techs; 27 December 2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Having watched it two and a half times now, I think my opinion of The Snowmen has crystallised. I quite like it, but it also feels a bit sub-par. Actually, much of Series 7 so far has to me (particularly the Moff's episodes), but I take this as a very good sign - it suggests to me that Moffatt is focusing much more time and energy on the 50th Anniversary.

Strax was very amusing, but at times I felt the humour in the episode was a bit overdone and forced. I quite liked the references to past episodes and events, and the renovated TARDIS interior is pretty good, though the colours are a tad cold for my liking. I personally loved the last version, easily my favourite iteration of the Doctor's trusty ship.

The snowmen themselves weren't all that threatening to me, but I did like their slightly shark-inspired design, and they continue Moffatt's theme of making innocuous, innocent things deadly.

Not bad - 7/10
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I watched the episode with the family, which meant I missed half of it.

I like the looked of the snowmen and the ice women at the end, good CGI for once. Enjoyed some of the banter that I manage to hear.

But it seems clara dies again. My theory is that Clara is not even alive, Amy and Rory deaths cause the doctor to have a psychotic break down and the out come of this is that he has created Clara as a companion that cant die, that he cant lose, as she will just be recreated by his mind again in another time and place and by shear force of will she is being impose on the universe by the Doctor. Which is bound to have consequences. Especially as the doctor doesn't know he the one creating clara.

The above doesn't make complete sense but it the only idea I have come up with so far.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 28 December 2012, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      I My theory is that Clara is not even alive, Amy and Rory deaths cause the doctor to have a psychotic break down
                      Well, he is a madman with a box

Comment

Well I finally was able to sit down and watch this episode/special. And I liked what I saw.

Starx had my in stitches... Jenny was cute, and Richard E. Grant was fantastic as the villian.
                        I'm not sure about the new look interior but I'm sure it will grow on me.

And I think I'm going to Like Clara... No I like Clara...
                        The opening credits and 'tweeked' theme tune are OK. Does this mean we may get the original theme if they do a '50th' special episode? Or has Mr. Moffatt got a surprise planned?
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I liked it, didn't love it, but only in that other episodes have ballooned my standards.

Clara's fragmentation through time reminds me of Scaroth from City of Death. I wonder if the Doctor might be responsible for her fragmentation later. Maybe even intentionally, not being able to save her from an explosion or displace her in time wholly, he sends her through time in fragments. I'd say the explosion in Asylum of the Daleks was forceful like Scaroth's, but Clara seemed familiar with him already in that episode. I wouldn't mind if Clara's a Jagaroth like Scaroth, it'd be cute to have a non-human companion and easier to accept not knowing ahead of time.

It's also possible from scenes we've seen, including from previews, that the Tardis is moving through the 4 time zones from Eternity Clock.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Interesting theory about Scaroth.

I've finally managed to get here to write my opinion. I loved the new titles and music. Strax was so funny, particularly his antics with the memory worm and him thinking grenades are the solution to everything. I thought Richard E Grant and Sir Ian McKellen were great as the villains. Pity the majority of Second Doctor episodes with the Great Intelligence are no longer extant.

I'm really happy with the new TARDIS. My favourite part was when the Doctor and Clara are tracked from outside, walk through the doors and into the TARDIS interior all seemingly in one long shot. Nice camera work.

As for Clara, I have my own theory about her.

Spoiler:

I think she is an avatar created by CAL and/or River in the Library. Perhaps she is an amalgamation of the two.

She seems to have a "mission" each time we have seen her. I think her first mission was to remove the Doctor from the Dalek database, her second mission being to drag the Doctor out of retirement and back to saving the universe once again. All very River-like ideas.

I suspect that in the Library River can't quite remember who or what she is (like Donna and Lee while they were in the Library) but is attempting to escape. Perhaps if the body of avatar "fails", ie being turned into a Dalek etc, then the conscious part returns to the Library and another avatar is sent out instead to complete the next part of the "mission".

CAL or CALara?

Some sort of computer genius, who creates her own world to live in (complete with nice cushions )

Has a habit of falling on top of the Doctor

Likes to snog him when she can

Is happy to look after children but perhaps not as a full time job

Falls off tall structures

Gets herself invited to go with the Doctor even when she is dying

Well that's my current theory anyway.

Unfortunately if I do turn out to be right I do worry that Alex Kingston will no longer be River.
                            Last edited by Blencathra; 02 January 2013, 04:43 AM. Reason: Added more pics

Comment

interesting theory

Comment

Strong episode. It didn't capture my attention the way The Eleventh Hour did but it was still a good beginning for Clara.

My favorite parts of the episode:

• Vastra, Jenny, and Strax
                                • New TARDIS interior reflecting the Doctor's current emotional state
                                • The Doctor's darker costume
                                • Ian McKellen's voice
                                • Clara moonlighting as a governess
                                • Telepathic snow

My personal theory on Clara: Being wired into the Pathweb, she had access to lots of Dalek tech, including time travel. She probably transported bits of her consciousness throughout time, somehow manifesting itself physically.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X