No announcement yet.

The End of Time, Part 2 (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it's official then, RTD simply writes his episodes for me and disregards anyone else's opinion!

Seriously, my least favourite RTD episode is New Earth and I still really love it.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Brilliant way to send 10 off i'm going to love matt smith
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I just watched this epispde, and although it was a REALLY good episode, the only reason i HATE it, is because the Doctor dies......er regenirates. I'm gonna miss him The ending was really sad, when he goes to visit people, and what made it especially sad was that Rose was the last person he visited
        Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Comment

Not the best DT epidsode but I not the worst either... The whole "mystery Women" didn't really get explaned. I thought Martha and Micky as a couple was really great, they both needed someone. I loved how The doctor went back into time to see Rose, one last goodbye. I personally thought from the last end of series 4 to know Donna had a lame storyline, they could have done something better for her, should have done.... The 10th doctor last line was done... I don't know if it was the perfect last line, I liked it, but I don't know it was missing something.

Now on to 11. I'm really looking forward to Matt. I just saw a perview of the new season and it looked really nice. Can't wait till Spring to see it!!! The only hard thing I'm going to have to get use to is The 11th doctor calling himself the "the doctor." I'm so use to DT, Chris was only on one season and DT have been the doctor so long it gonna be hard getting use to someone with a new face calling themself the doctor.
          sigpic There are my dogs!

If you had to chose, die or watch the world die, what would you pick?"

Comment

After Part 1, I had my bar set very, very low, and this half was wonderful.

I loved so many things about this episode, so I'll start with the hotly debated ones:

Martha and Mickey. It works, and it's quite cute. I wasn't that pleased with her sudden engagement to Tom, and with both Torchwood and Unit in various states of disrepair, corruption, confusion, etc., I can accept that both of them work freelance. I also liked that the Doctor saved her life, given how many times Martha saved him. Also, her hair had grown an awful lot between her last visit and that scene, nothing says the Doctor didn't save her in the future.

Donna. I love that the Doctor left her defended, so while I agree that her presence was too brief, it was nice to see her again. I loved the touch with the lottery ticket and her Mother.

The Master. I liked his redemption. He may (or may not) be gone for good, but I enjoyed seeing the Master and Doctor on the same side.

The NEW Doctor. The scene was fine. It was a bit goofy, but so was DT's. I would ask anyone fretting about the scene to go pull up the threads for when 9 became 10. We were all like "Who is that skinny guy going on about teeth? I don't know if I can do this. He just muttered crap about Barcelona and then looked goofy." It worked out fine, and this will too. I'll comment on the trailer in the appropriate place, but I look forward to the new season.

Jack and Midshipman Frame. I don't care what RTD said in interviews. He lies to the press. We all know this. Jack was in a bar in space, therefore, he has to be in there after COE. Therefore, Ianto is dead, and we don't know how much time has passed. What comfort can the Doctor offer him? He can't give Jack what he wants, so he gave him some solace/comfort/distration. I was impressed that he gave him what he needed, given he was not involved with the COE events. If the Doctor has had adventures between specials, we can assume that they might have spoken somewhere other than the Series 4 finale.

Ten's ending. I liked it. I loved the music for him from the Ood, and I enjoyed seeing him say goodbye.

The Tardis on fire. It makes sense. Other version of the Doctor weren't fighting their change, and they may or may not have had something to lose. 9 was protecting Rose, for example. Ten has nothing to lose; he's angry, and he can be self-indulgent, and we get a new phone box that looks a bit less porta-potty with a new interior look. I can handle it.

The meh:

Rose. I'm not that fond of her. Billie Piper has changed too much physically, so she didn't look even remotely 2005, but I can let it go. It made sense.

The beginning did drag a bit, but I just wish Part 1 hadn't felt so long. The problem was made worse by BBC America. They just threw the commercials in and destroyed emotional sequences at least twice. They also held the trailer hostage in a desperate attempt to make us watch Demons.

Overall, I'll give it a 9/10 because I wish the front half hadn't been so bad. I wasn't looking forward to this episode because many of the specials have been so weak (I only liked the Water of Mars.) I'll stay up to see it again, and I look forward to the new Doctor and where the show will go now.

I'm not an RTD hater, but I have gotten tired of many of his tropes and comic winks that are more like unfunny sledgehammers, so I am happy to see Moffat give us new stories. But I stayed up ridiculously late to watch my first regeneration again as 9 became 10, and I am more than willing to sacrifice a little sleep now for one of my favorite shows.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

the onyl part i didn't get was the book signing who was that woman>?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                Nurse Joan's great grand daughter; Joan is in Human Nature/Family of Blood
                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

.......the series is doomed, without Tennant it's screwed apparently he's been voted best doctor ever, according to some suspicous site I have never seen before.

Down to buisness umm

.Those humpty dumpty people back (sontarans I think)
                  .Doctor finally uses a gun
                  .Time lords YAY
                  .That guy from Hot Fuzz as that time lord dude
                  .Doctor going back to say hi to Rose
                  .Total Lol at the whole of chinas army being the master....I would say something smart about that but it wouldn't be right
                  .Doctor thinking he was a girl
                  .LOL at cheating in the lottery
                  .Jack being in a bar....I imagine he would be a nice fellow being a drunkard
                  .Although I do mention the "I don't get it" in the mickey/martha...gun happy couple seems nice...just like Mr and Mrs Smith......wait if Martha took up Mickeys last name......doesn't that REALLY make them mr and mrs smith?!?!

Dislikes: Total WTH at those pointless Cactus people
                  .Doctor screwing his people
                  .Mickey/Martha or whatever her name is married, I just don't get it
                  .No daleks should of shown a dalek/time lord battle scene imo
                  .The old dude HAVING to get trapped, can't he have oh I dunno NOT DONE THAT
                  .Cactus people not being killed off
                  .Lack of old friends helping out
                  .Oh and Did I mention the cactus's...oh sorry the proper term is Cactii
                  .The lameness of Matt White came close or did destroy the tardis

And finally, the biggest moment.....Matt White.....umm yeah...I hope he gets a new suit, because he looked kind of...well weird with Tennants suit (yeah I know it will change just saying)

They say don't judge a book by it's cover.....unfortunately I have to in this case I have little confidence in Matt White........besides he doesn't have the doctors good looks

Gonna watch 1 maybe 2 episodes but I have lost hope, it's just not the same.....I almost broke down crying after seeing The Doctor thinking he was a girl...and when he turned into White

Although I think that woman the Doctor noticed with the Time lords was his mother.

Oh and I noticed a mistake the Old Dude knocked 16 times!
                  Last edited by spinny magee; 02 January 2010, 07:19 PM.
                  Tst

Comment

finally got to see it! and I quite liked it. Not sure about *loving* it, but I did enjoy it .. especially seeing Gallifrey as (spoofing real life) Earth's near Apophis crashing into it. Cleverly done..

and all of the spoilers past didn't influence my thoughts at all from watching.
                    Yeeeehaw! bobbin' up and down and all around in the turret scenes.. oh my!!

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Well, regardless of what everyone says I liked RTD's episodes alot.....but I can't wait for what Moffat brings. The End of Time could of had more, but I was still satisfied with the way it went.
                    ditto.. except some of the ending send off sequences were a bit strange.

Originally posted by Replicator Todd
                    Although I kinda wish the Doctor DID die, and somehow another Doctor was brought about.
                    I will say that some of the running (viewer) ideas speculating behind the Doctor's impending *death* were quite interesting.

Originally posted by Replicator Todd
                    I didn't understand Martha and Mickey at all, alternate universe maybe?
                    I don't think so. They were both holding hands after the last defeat of the Daleks eppy. So, as Mickey said--
                    Spoiler:
                    basically he severed all romantic connections with Rose, and started a new life elsewhere -- one with Martha.

So, it wasn't entirely unexpected based on and from that particular moment in time.

Anywho.. =) Watching the marathon of eps (on BBC-America) put too much info overload in.. Donna's not the only one. 48-hours non-stop.. owwwwwwww..
                    ..but now I've got tons of several DW music themes dancing in my mind for a little while..

Oh, I will definitely miss the music. That is one area the has greatly improved over the years (and that includes all the way back to the very beginning of the entire series in 1963.. =)

Originally posted by JRDTECH View Post
                    I rather enjoyed the episode. It answered why the Master is the way is he is.
                    That's the part I didn't quite understand. Rassilon said the Master was diseased, but the Time Lords made him that way. The question is *why*.
                    And don't think for a moment that the Master is gone-gone.. he's earned the reputation for being DW's version of being Ming-the-Merciless.

Originally posted by Stargate Atlantis Girl View Post
                    I just watched this epispde, and although it was a REALLY good episode, the only reason i HATE it, is because the Doctor dies......er regenirates.
                    yep, that's the Doctor (so far).. all of them.
                    well, except for the few actors (as the Doctor's various selves) who weren't able to show their regeneration sequences.

Originally posted by Stargate Atlantis Girl
                    I'm gonna miss him The ending was really sad, when he goes to visit people, and what made it especially sad was that Rose was the last person he visited
                    actually, pre-Rose, which that whole encounter seemed sort of weird or awkward.

-- trivia time --
                    PS-- did anyone catch the name *Verity* in the story.. Verity was the name of the Doctor's mother (oh, and that lady must have been her for sure!).
                    Verity was also the name of the author on the book..
                    And according to Doctor Who-A Celebration Through Time and Space
                    (by Peter Haining, 1983)
                    Verity Lambert was the first / original producer of Doctor Who. In a sense,
                    she was the very real *mother* of the Doctor.. She literally gave life to THE Doctor. hmmm.. beyond inserting her name as just just a simple tribute, and a mighty *significant* tribute at that -- was incorporating "Verity" into the very fabric of the series, a mere play on names and actual events or wonderfully woven into the tapestry of the entire series..???
                    ..me thinks so.. =)

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                      oh ok thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
                        Oh and I noticed a mistake the Old Dude knocked 16 times!
                        Actually, Wilf knocked the same amount of times as the Master = 4 x 4 sets.

Originally posted by spinny magee
                        .......the series is doomed, without Tennant it's screwed...
                        nah.. my family thought that when Doctor Who was on PBS years ago. But we were all pleasantly surprised to find each version of the Doctor had their own nuances and good moments, despite the production qualities of the sets and music in those days. Well, until the last two seasons of Tom Baker's era. That's when the music had significant improvements.

End result of verdict -- we've enjoyed them all -- each Doctor had their own great qualities.. some less favored in personality type than the others..
                        Watching more than one Doctor version playing in the same eppy, now that's what sort of helped make the appreciation of each of the Doctors sparring off of each other side by side, become more enjoyable (IMO).

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                        the author of the book that was being signed -- her First name was also Verity.. (please -- see my previous post about the significance of that particular name..)

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                          That's the part I didn't quite understand. Rassilon said the Master was diseased, but the Time Lords made him that way. The question is *why*.
                          And don't think for a moment that the Master is gone-gone.. he's earned the reputation for being DW's version of being Ming-the-Merciless.
                          Because it gave the Time lords a link outside of the time lock. Remember in the beginning the time lords are explaining that the Master went insane after looking into the untempered schism(sp?). Rassilon somehow realized that the Master's insanity was no accident and ordered the simple beat of four sent back through the schism thus creating the link. How Rassilon knew at what moment to sent the white point star I have no idea but I'm guessing it was prophecy from the oracle lady that gave him the exact moment.

Comment

Meh Might actually give it a try after seeing the 2010 trailer,
                            Spoiler:
                            especially with more Daleks
                            WOOT
                            Last edited by Bagpuss; 03 January 2010, 02:57 AM.
                            Tst

Comment

Originally posted by carno View Post
                              got the feeling that the timelord woman was either the doctors wife or Donna, because Wilf asked the doctor who the woman was and he looked over to Donna in her wedding dress. Maybe at some point Donna becomes a timelord due to her meta crisis and when she dies as a human she regenerats, some how travles back in time and joins the time war?? I don't know he looked at her for some reason, other wise they wouldn't of put it in the episode. Just somthing really small I picked up on. Also who was the other timelord that opposed Rassilon and the other timelords???

I agree with you 100%... I caught that as well.
                              As soon as Wilf asked "who was that woman?", to the Doctor and then the Doctor looked straight at Donna as if answering the question of Who...... it made me stand up and notice. I was so going hmmmmmmm.

By Kidwizz

By JessM

Comment

Okay, We think the "mystery woman" is none other than Donna Noble.

The reason is that there was something other than just the mind transfer during the metacrisis. We think her very genetics were changed. And, eventually, he either takes her or somehow she arrives on Gallifrey pre-timewar to "cure" here and she can't be "cured" but instead, the Time Lords twiddle with her dna, and she becomes his mother. After all, according to the movie, he's half human on his mother's side. Half human could mean human/timelord metacrisis.

Yah, I know... way way off base, but stranger things have happened.

He has this Tardis thing and he didn't go to some distant future where they can cure what we would consider fatal radiation poisoning to stop his death/regeneration? stupid writers.
                                Things we'd like to see in our favorite scifi...
                                Spoiler:
                                "Ori, meet Wraiths. Wraiths, meet Ori. I'm sure you'll get along famously." ~ any member of SG1.
                                "Priors, meet Cylons. Cylons, Meet Priors. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful theologic discussion." ibid
                                "This is the BattleStar Galactica - please identify yourself."
                                "This is the Earth Vessel Daedelus. Are you lost?"
                                "The WHAT Vessel?" Galactica Actual.

Comment

Working...
                                X