No announcement yet.

The End of Time, Part 1 (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know like the master said about never dying i could live with his character returning ever 2-3 seasons it would be nice and something to look forward too
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      you know like the master said about never dying i could live with his character returning ever 2-3 seasons it would be nice and something to look forward too
      maybe not every 2 or 3 years but i agree don't kill him off.

I say that based on what RTD has done, 5 series finales (counting end of time as 1), 3 had the daleks, 2 had/have the master... seems he doesn't have many ideas for series finales. dont know what Moffat will do, but would like not to have a dalek or master finale next year. perhaps if the moffat had it in his head to bring the master back regularly it would be too easy to bring him back in season finales.
      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I looooooved this episode! The ending had me in complete shock, no way was I expecting that! I am truly going to miss RTD and David Tennant, I will never forget this era of Doctor Who. And if the 11th Doctor is being advertised as series 1, that makes alot of sense, but I am still not looking forward to the next series. I will still give it a try. (I am the oddball who likes RTD's episodes more than Moffat's)

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          I looooooved this episode! The ending had me in complete shock, no way was I expecting that! I am truly going to miss RTD and David Tennant, I will never forget this era of Doctor Who. And if the 11th Doctor is being advertised as series 1, that makes alot of sense, but I am still not looking forward to the next series. I will still give it a try. (I am the oddball who likes RTD's episodes more than Moffat's)
          I wouldn't say Moffat > RTD, but IMO rtd last epsidoes are all solved by a deus ex machima,

EOT: i havent seen it yet and i know some how the timelords/the doctor will turn every back to themselves
          WOM: that bloody robot
          POTD: a decent ending
          Journeys end: meta crisis doctor and The DoctorDonna

even LOTTL and the year that never was.
          People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

That was bad. It didn't make sense, and it had more filler than substance.

The Good:

The scene with Lucy Saxon. Too bad she appears to be gone now. I hope she can return.

The cacti aliens. I also liked the reference to VOTD.

The Bad:

The Saxon files and various potions. That makes about as much as sense as a gun in four parts with the ammo spread across the world. The Master was on Earth for 18 months but managed to find yahoos crazy enough to die for him, marry, build the Archangel Network, and plot the end of the universe. I realize this is Scifi, but the stretch is getting way to big here.

JS eating and eating and eating. Or laughing and laughing and laughing. We needed one scene of super eating to understand the way the Master's body consumes food. The rest of the scenes just felt like filler. We get it; the Master is insane. I didn't need binging scenes, cannibalism, constant discussion of the drums, a desparate mind-meld, and manicial laughter to know that.

The creepy father/daughter pairing. They aren't creepy as villains; their creepy because he almost treats as her a wife rather than a daughter. And what is up with the father not wanting immortality? Right. Is something wrong with the daughter?

Wilf. He doesn't seem to understand that the return of Donna's memories could kill her. He keeps saying "make her better" as if the Doctor just needs to cure a cold. His early scenes also took too long.

The Cliff Hanger. The Time Lords are back. Ok. Since they didn't seem that great, am I supposed to be impressed? Frankly, I've seen so many decent shows jump the shark once they restore/find/rebuild their central power structure that I don't want the Time Lords back. If even half of the jumbled stuff I've seen about Romanna?, the Rani, and forced regenerations is even half true, I'm not sure I want them back. I don't watch Doctor Who for political infighting among obnoxious, out-of-touch administrators.

A weak episode. May the second half be far better, but I'm so looking forward to the Moffat era. I would like to like the show again.

6/10.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I loved it.

The Doctor was on form, I liked his scenes with Wilf, and it was touching to see him actually worried about dying. The cacti were the fun kind of look I've got used to with new Who. The whole mystical Book of Saxon thing could have done with a little foreshadowing, but hey, it brought back John Simm so I'll let that pass.

The Master being skeletal and eating people was a bit of the sort of hide-behind-the-sofa stuff that I used to see on old Who.

And while not necessarily the best cliffhanger ever (close, just not the best) it was most certainly the biggest cliffhanger I've ever seen.

As to when the Tardis acquired a cloak, it was probably after the recent SJA episode where the TARDIS was hidden from certain people in the episode by being half a second out of synch. Doctor must've got the idea that it'd be handy.

Can't wait till next week

Madeleine

Comment

He just put the Tardis out of sync with the timeline, "can't have the master finding the Tardis" was the line.

I listened to the podcast last night while watching it again, quiet interesting, especially the bits about JS taking a bit, spitting into a bucket then taking another bite, the hamburger was harder to do than the turkey according to them.

But WTF, is RTD's ego the size of California or what? "compromises are for idiots" was one line that really showed what the guy is like, glad he's leaving (oh I said that already sorry )

They also talked about some cut scenes, the guards at the end, their helmets allowed them to see the Master in his skeleton guise, but the showing of that was cut, and there was another scene by the burger van where the woman said "Happy Christmas" to ginger etc. and the Master went onto some nutty rampage about "It's MERRY Christmas not HAPPY Christmas - we don't say "Merry New Year" etc. etc. which sounded quiet funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                  He just put the Tardis out of sync with the timeline, "can't have the master finding the Tardis" was the line.

I listened to the podcast last night while watching it again, quiet interesting, especially the bits about JS taking a bit, spitting into a bucket then taking another bite, the hamburger was harder to do than the turkey according to them.

But WTF, is RTD's ego the size of California or what? "compromises are for idiots" was one line that really showed what the guy is like, glad he's leaving (oh I said that already sorry )
                  What was that last statement in regards to?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Oh sorry, the podcast, I listened to the first few minutes and nearly turned it off because he seemed so up himself, I can't remember what he said but he kept saying something like "Loyal Fans" over and over, it wasn't what he said, it was the way he said it. The "compromises are for idiots" line is from the podcast, I got the impression he was quiet "up" himself and couldn't see fault in anything he did.

I don't know it may be some in-joke, it's the first Who podcast I've every listened to, I couldn't sleep lol.

The podcast is here: here., you can sync it up with the episode from the link above and watch/listen to both together which is what I did.
                    Last edited by Ian-S; 27 December 2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I've looked a little at this Dr. Who thing and I remember what Tom Baker and Peter Baker Who's and they so much better....I liked Eccelson when he was on but the big budget movie guy was going to leave at some point....

Even then the show was very very strong and not just from a corny bad special effects standpoint...but it seems they're being purposefully stupid...

I can't take the Master seriously....It's gawdy....
                      What kinda master plan is this...his acting sucks....

Comment

Thought this episode was quite good. Lots of things I didnt expect
                        Didnt expect the ending with the Master turning everyone into the 'Master' race and then the Time Lords appearing. The Matrix didnt pop into my head until i was reading on here, but thought it was lol when they showed him in all different clothes, and he has definately gone a bit mad. Heard the Time Lords were returing but didnt expect that ending

Cant wait till the next episode to see how it all pans out. The Time Lords seem kind of evil. But New Year is definately going to be all eyes on Doctor Who for me lol

Comment

The time lords seem very much like the Ancients from SG, arrogant & self righteous.

Comment

I was too happy to see some new Doctor Who to care how good/not good it was, but not that I've had time to think about it... WTF were they thinking?

Comment

new user.

Agree 1st part was overly wordy - looking fwd to the conclusion though

Is it a coincidence that "Wilfred Mott" is an anagram of "Timelord ? WTF ?"

hmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                                The time lords seem very much like the Ancients from SG, arrogant & self righteous.
                                Also they say they are non interfering.
                                Although the Timelords were on the TV secne way before the SGA ancients, so I would say SGA ripped off Dr Who.
                                I hadn't read any spoilers about the ep, and I was surprised to see the Timelords again and the ending, well interesting, but we'll see where it goes next week. I saw ony the previews they showed on BBC America, and will remain unspoiled about the ep. I like surprises.
                                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                                Sig by The Carpenter
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X