The Waters of Mars (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
    I think rocket fuel can burn for quite a while, seeing as it's a continual supply of oxygen.

Depends how much rocket fuel there is, I guess.
    Oh right. Well that would explain why the fire was still burning.

I really should stop thinking so much, I just end up confusing myself
    sigpic

Comment

I wondered about that too at first but then rembered that this is just a normal combustion of rocket fuel.

You can read more about rocket fuel here : http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/newton...ron/ENV165.HTM
      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
      And he's wonderful.

Comment

I liked it. Not the greatest, but I liked it.

One thing I really didn't like was the Dalek bit. The whole plan of the Daleks in that episode was to change the whole of creation, why on Earth would the Dalek just take off? That just doesn't make any sense. To me, it's just another case of RTD trying to cram in Daleks wherever he can, whether he should or not.

But counter to what some people in here are saying, I actually quite liked the ending. I think it's kind of neat that the timeline was shown as self-correcting. Certainly, it seems to show that while there are fixed points in history, the Doctor isn't omnipotent enough to fully and completely understand them. Yes he's a Time Lord; but he's also just a man, not a god. He doesn't know everything.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
          Ending, well, was obvious, the same as the Pompey episode. I had hoped he had walked away while hearing the people inside die, but I guess that's too dark for Doctor Who.
          THe ending was actually the exact opposite from Pompeii. In Pompeii he was a responsible adult who knew what he was supposed to do and did it. In this he was an insane omnipotent egomaniac who's finally lost the last grip he had on reality.

In other words, I loved it to bits.
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Oh my Gosh. Just finished watching through the web. Best Who Special I have seen. Fantastic episode! I liked seeing The Doctor heading into well, madness, after everything he has been through I am surprised he stayed together for so long. This is the first time in an extremely long time since a TV show has caused my heart to race and left me breathless. The last 20 minutes were just spectacular.

Comment

While it was in the Doctor's character to save them, I don't think the doctor would turn that arrogant. He should have just took them somewhere else so that they died to earth.
              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462 View Post
                While it was in the Doctor's character to save them, I don't think the doctor would turn that arrogant. He should have just took them somewhere else so that they died to earth.
                It's been a common theme of Classic Doctor Who that a timelord who gains immortality or ultimate power becomes a vengeful God. Absolute power corrupting absolutely. The Doctor has finally been corrupted, even if that means doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

He has more in common with the Master than one would think.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I liked the ep a lot, though I wanted to see Gadget blowed up real good throughout the entire hour. Davies said in Confidential that he was supposed to be a bit over-the-top annoying (to grown-ups), though.

The absolute power corrupting story is a fantastic way to end the Tenth Doctor's story, IMO. He's been so likeable and level-headed, but always with a darker side to him (since the "no second chances" moment after the duel in "The Christmas Invasion"). He's one of the most powerful beings in the universe, whose personality completely changes every few years. You're just happy that "he's on our side." But what if he decides the laws of time no longer apply to him?

That's where he goes here, apparently because of the prophecy of his impending death. It's just brilliant, and the last shot of the episode seems to indicate that he is running away from his destiny. I hope he goes even darker in the next one, and stays there a bit.

At the end of the day, this is the story of what the Doctor would be like without a companion. Rose, Martha, Donna -- they all told him that he shouldn't be alone, that despite his protestations he needed someone. Donna saw him go genocidal in "The Runaway Bride," and told him at the end, "I think you need someone to stop you sometimes." But everyone he brings on board and gets attached to, he loses, so the Doctor has convinced himself that he's a loner.

He's not -- he does need someone to ground him. And I think "The Waters of Mars" works (hopefully leading into much more in "The End of Time") because it shows what he's capable of becoming without a companion. The speeches about "the laws of time will obey me" and the "Time Lord Victorious" aren't supposed to make you cheer for the super-powered hero saving the day -- they're supposed to scare the crap out of you.
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    I liked the ep a lot, though I wanted to see Gadget blowed up real good throughout the entire hour. Davies said in Confidential that he was supposed to be a bit over-the-top annoying (to grown-ups), though.

The absolute power corrupting story is a fantastic way to end the Tenth Doctor's story, IMO. He's been so likeable and level-headed, but always with a darker side to him (since the "no second chances" moment after the duel in "The Christmas Invasion"). He's one of the most powerful beings in the universe, whose personality completely changes every few years. You're just happy that "he's on our side." But what if he decides the laws of time no longer apply to him?

That's where he goes here, apparently because of the prophecy of his impending death. It's just brilliant, and the last shot of the episode seems to indicate that he is running away from his destiny. I hope he goes even darker in the next one, and stays there a bit.

At the end of the day, this is the story of what the Doctor would be like without a companion. Rose, Martha, Donna -- they all told him that he shouldn't be alone, that despite his protestations he needed someone. Donna saw him go genocidal in "The Runaway Bride," and told him at the end, "I think you need someone to stop you sometimes." But everyone he brings on board and gets attached to, he loses, so the Doctor has convinced himself that he's a loner.

He's not -- he does need someone to ground him. And I think "The Waters of Mars" works (hopefully leading into much more in "The End of Time") because it shows what he's capable of becoming without a companion. The speeches about "the laws of time will obey me" and the "Time Lord Victorious" aren't supposed to make you cheer for the super-powered hero saving the day -- they're supposed to scare the crap out of you.
                    Well put.

...with the exception of one thing.

GADGET GADGET!
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      The speeches about "the laws of time will obey me" and the "Time Lord Victorious" aren't supposed to make you cheer for the super-powered hero saving the day -- they're supposed to scare the crap out of you.
                      And they do, and they do it well. I really do hope to see more of this side of The Doctor in the final specials.

Comment

i'm nearly done watching this and i have to say this is nothing like i thought it would be.....

great music,action storytelling acting

totally awesome
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          I liked it. Not the greatest, but I liked it.

One thing I really didn't like was the Dalek bit. The whole plan of the Daleks in that episode was to change the whole of creation, why on Earth would the Dalek just take off? That just doesn't make any sense. To me, it's just another case of RTD trying to cram in Daleks wherever he can, whether he should or not.

But counter to what some people in here are saying, I actually quite liked the ending. I think it's kind of neat that the timeline was shown as self-correcting. Certainly, it seems to show that while there are fixed points in history, the Doctor isn't omnipotent enough to fully and completely understand them. Yes he's a Time Lord; but he's also just a man, not a god. He doesn't know everything.
                          I think the Dalek took off due to the recall order being issued b the Supreme Dalek for all Daleks to return to the Crucible so they could detonate the reality bomb & wipe out all the other...inferior life forms.

I absolutely loved the Doctor going all dark, desperate & egotistically wacko during this ep.

The fact he screams to the entire universe that he is the last of the Timelords, as & as the last, 'the laws of time will obey me' & that he is the 'Timelord Victoreous' only to have the timeline self-correct & ensure that all whom needed to die, did die (as it was a fixed moment in time) shows just how helpless & limited even Timelords can be when attempting to stop something that always has to happen in the timeline from happening, whether they like it or not.

It foreshadows his own demise & brings into question his own mortality; which I think is why he ends up doing what he does. The fact that I have a sneaking supicision that his being killed & needing to regenerate into his next incarnation is a fixed point in the timeline means no matter how much the Doctor tries to stop it, it will always happen, no matter what.

Possible Spoilers for 'End of Time (Christmas 2009 Special) & beyound:

Spoiler:

I think it's going to be the Master that kills hims & forces him to regenerate into his next incarnation. I also think the Master will eventually share his secret to his ability to constantly regenerate/live (with or without the High Council's help) in order to have the Doctor as a foe (& to continue the series).

Comment

Originally posted by akren View Post
                            I think the Dalek took off due to the recall order being issued b the Supreme Dalek for all Daleks to return to the Crucible so they could detonate the reality bomb & wipe out all the other...inferior life forms.

I absolutely loved the Doctor going all dark, desperate & egotistically wacko during this ep.

The fact he screams to the entire universe that he is the last of the Timelords, as & as the last, 'the laws of time will obey me' & that he is the 'Timelord Victoreous' only to have the timeline self-correct & ensure that all whom needed to die, did die (as it was a fixed moment in time) shows just how helpless & limited even Timelords can be when attempting to stop something that always has to happen in the timeline from happening, whether they like it or not.

It foreshadows his own demise & brings into question his own mortality; which I think is why he ends up doing what he does. The fact that I have a sneaking supicision that his being killed & needing to regenerate into his next incarnation is a fixed point in the timeline means no matter how much the Doctor tries to stop it, it will always happen, no matter what.

Possible Spoilers for 'End of Time (Christmas 2009 Special) & beyound:

Spoiler:

I think it's going to be the Master that kills hims & forces him to regenerate into his next incarnation. I also think the Master will eventually share his secret to his ability to constantly regenerate/live (with or without the High Council's help) in order to have the Doctor as a foe (& to continue the series).
                            Didnt two of the people who were meant to die survive?
                            The two who ran off at the end?
                            Forgive me if Im wrong

And to the spoiler bit, we will have to wait and see.
                            Well, i will because im going to try and keep away from spoilers
                            I felt knowing how the episode ended and who survived diminished the episode a bit

But like everyone else is saying, great episode and cant wait for the Christmas Special and David Tennants maybe last episode
                            I say maybe because I hope he will return in maybe flashbacks and apparently
                            Spoiler:
                            he may do something for the anniversary hopefully because isnt there a special anniversary in 2013 or something, or I am just being completely wrong?
                            Last edited by Teddybrown; 17 November 2009, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              he may do something for the anniversary hopefully because isnt there a special anniversary in 2013 or something, or I am just being completely wrong?
                              It's the fiftieth anniversary isn't it? I'm expecting something amazing already. Especially if Moffat is still show runner.

Comment

Doctor who "water on mars was FANTASTIC i finished watching it very cool to see the doctor finally put his foot down and realize that the war is over and he truly is the final timelord
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X