No announcement yet.

Planet of the Dead (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole Doctor Who thing has gone far too politically correct for me now. It's the BBC using it's billions to brainwash the population

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant View Post
      The whole Doctor Who thing has gone far too politically correct for me now. It's the BBC using it's billions to brainwash the population
      It's obviously doing a jolly good job with the brainwashing because I haven't a clue what I've been brainwashed into.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
        Can I just say, Captain or not, having the responsibility for 6 billion souls on the planet or not, she still cannot demand a civilian to obey her orders, I once got bawled out by the officer of the day for having dirty shoes when I worked at the local army barracks, until it was pointed out to him that I was a civilian (when he stopped yelling long enough for anyone to get a word in) He apologised and sloped off to the back to the Officers Mess
        I think she can expect a civilian to obey orders. Just not to uphold military standards. There's a world of difference between not polishing your boots, and leaving your planet exposed to all-devouring aliens.

A sergeant or private would have had to do as the captain said, and do it while standing up straight and saying ma'am. A civillian employee could get away with chewing gum, slouching, being mildly facetious or wearing frayed clothes and dirty shoes, all of which would get a soldier reprimanded; but that civillian employee would still have to follow orders, especially in matters of planetary security.

Even if he was not an employee of Unit and just someone who'd popped by, I'd think the commander of the operation a bit wet if she'd just left the six billion to their fate because of a missing signature on a contract.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine View Post
          It's obviously doing a jolly good job with the brainwashing because I haven't a clue what I've been brainwashed into.
          Well, obviously you've been brainwashed to forward the pink agenda, to think pacificm is the way to go, that brains beat muscles, and that the authorities are stupid, ignorant, greedy and abuse power.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          Still, if anyone in my command acted as she did, I'd have her arrested. As for Malcolm. I'd bloody well commend him - in retrospect of course.
          You can only commend him because in the end the planet was saved. Had it been slightly different there wouldn't have been a planet and you wouldn't have been able to commend him, because his fanboy crush would've doomed the planet. Imo the captain took the right course of action by putting the lives of the entire planet above the lives of the 7 people in the bus.

On a sidenote: Why didn't the Doctor use the sonic screwdriver and the alien ship and/or bus to create a remote to call the Tardis to that planet? Would've been a lot easier.
          Signed,

Gregorius
          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine View Post
            Didn't think you would

Comment

Re: Malcolm: he's not a civilian, she specifically refers to him as soldier before she points her gun at him. Civilian clothes != civilian. Also, evne if he is a civilian... when you're working for the military you're singing up for military disciplines and norms. You can't live with that - don't sign up to work for the military. When I was offered to stay in the military after the period I had to do by law I refused without a second thought even though the pay would have been much better than any civilian job - because I knew I don't want to continue to be a part of that body. So yeah, I became a civilian and don't have to follow their nonsense. If I would have chosen the other way round, I would have had to do as they tell me to.

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
              Well, obviously you've been brainwashed to forward the pink agenda, to think pacificm is the way to go, that brains beat muscles, and that the authorities are stupid, ignorant, greedy and abuse power.
              Nah, I'm like that way before I've ever known Doctor Who existed - if any television show brainwashed me into that it's all the MacGyver and Star Trek I was watching when I was 5.
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post

You can only commend him because in the end the planet was saved. Had it been slightly different there wouldn't have been a planet and you wouldn't have been able to commend him, because his fanboy crush would've doomed the planet. Imo the captain took the right course of action by putting the lives of the entire planet above the lives of the 7 people in the bus.

On a sidenote: Why didn't the Doctor use the sonic screwdriver and the alien ship and/or bus to create a remote to call the Tardis to that planet? Would've been a lot easier.
                Certainly not brain washed.

I practically *AM* the establishment. Trust me on that. Always have been. (Or so my friends have always told me)

However I do believe in a code of conduct, one which Magumba violated. I can see her reasons, but aside from the fact that I consider it disgraceful behaviour (she should have just ordered to privates to remove Malcolm as he'd already told her what button to press) the decision was a stupid one anyway. Losing the Doctor as an asset is a VERY poor tactical decision.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Losing the Doctor as an asset is a VERY poor tactical decision.
                  Actually tactically it was sa very good decision. For losing the doctor and a half a dozen civillians. She ensures the safely of the entire earth from the current threat by closing their link to Earth.

What is, is a very bad strategic decision because if you kill him off The Doctor can't help you when the next big crisis comes around.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                    Actually tactically it was sa very good decision. For losing the doctor and a half a dozen civillians. She ensures the safely of the entire earth from the current threat by closing their link to Earth.

What is, is a very bad strategic decision because if you kill him off The Doctor can't help you when the next big crisis comes around.
                    *smiles*

I see what you're saying, and I ummd and ahhd about whether to se the term strategic or not. You are correct. However I'd say there's a but.

The reason I chose the use of the term tactical was because Magumbo was making tactical decisions, she's not involved in any type of higher strategy planning. So the decision to cut the doctor off would be a Tactical decision. Only a bad one because of it's strategic implications. Yet I would argue she was not making any sort of strategic decision per se.

So I'd argue we're both right.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant View Post
                      no thats' hulu brainwashing america
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I practically *AM* the establishment. Trust me on that. Always have been. (Or so my friends have always told me)
                        Sorry, can't do. Can't trust you on your word.

However I do believe in a code of conduct, one which Magumba violated. I can see her reasons, but aside from the fact that I consider it disgraceful behaviour (she should have just ordered to privates to remove Malcolm as he'd already told her what button to press) the decision was a stupid one anyway. Losing the Doctor as an asset is a VERY poor tactical decision.
                        Your code of conduct. Her code of conduct, which is probably's UNIT's, is to protect Earth at all costs. If it means threatening/killing a subordinate to accomplish this goal, then so be it. Besides that, her soldiers were standing ready to fire, she couldn't call one or two of them inside to take away the only person on Earth who was available to close the wormhole should the first attempt fail. To call away her soldiers from the stand would've been idiotic as they'd need all the firepower they could get.

Yes, losing the Doctor would've been a great loss but losing Earth would've been a greater one. Afterall, they'd still have the Tardis and they could use it to reverse engineer Time Lord technology.

And speaking about the Tardis, this brings to me another small annoyance. UNIT had the Tardis, why didn't the Doctor ask them to send the Tardis to his current location, he got the name from the insects, and then use the Tardis to get away from the planet? It would've made more sense, it would've been quicker and they could've closed the wormhole the moment the Tardis had arrived to pick the people up.
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

It was not strategic mistake, she just knew that what ever she did, the doc would not let some flying metal monster kill him and he would find a way to get back to earth, worm hole, or no worm hole.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            It was not strategic mistake, she just knew that what ever she did, the doc would not let some flying metal monster kill him and he would find a way to get back to earth, worm hole, or no worm hole.
                            Well she CAN'T know that, afterall, the Doctor HAS died. Repeatedly.

She also knows she has his transport.

Besides, it would also be a potential bridge burnt.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Well she CAN'T know that, afterall, the Doctor HAS died. Repeatedly.

She also knows she has his transport.

Besides, it would also be a potential bridge burnt.
                              Yes but he always come back, she just had faith that he could come back this time, nothing wrong with a bit of faith in the doctor

Comment

I find that slightly implausible. Certianly she'd didn't express that view to Malcolm when he objected. She just said she had to save earth at the cost of the Doctor. She didn't say she expected him to survive regardless.
                                sigpic
                                Banner By JME2

Comment

Working...
                                X