Voyage of the Damned (2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic! A Great Episode!

I enjoyed the hommage to the Posieden Adventure (and other disaster movies), and I was sorry to see several of the character die, including Astrid.

I really don't have any complaints; I enjoyed the beginning, middle, and end, and DT and everyone else concerned did a great job. I even liked it enough to find something else to watch for an hour just to see it a second time.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
      Since I'd better post about the little things first...
      Firstly, it took me a while to find this "thread"... I knew it existed, but no one posted in it last night..! At the time of this writing, even Sarah Jane's topic is still in sleeping mode..

Davros was definitely my very *first* impression, when the cart started creeping towards the Doctor (great filming suspense technique -- make us who've seen previous eps *think* for a few moments =). But then when Max showed up -- Max Headroom?? ehhh...? nah.. close, but not quite.

As for those angelic hosts -- they reminded me of another robot type - perhaps an early prototype that I think was in an Ace companion ep... or the
      Androids of Tara? Vague memory...

Obviously, the Titanic name had me thinking in other directions, and *definitely NOT* in space nor into the future, nor from another planet, until I saw the "angel" creatures, etc...
      but the Titanic flying around earth reminded me of the space-aged technologies in Enlightment, with all of those other sailing vessels that sailed on the solar winds instead of the ocean seas. Clever on the engine exhaust ports being located underneath the ship, where the rudders might usually be...

omg! gads!! (the intro theme song music) definitely something NOT quite right there... sounded like a messed up orchestration. I think the last theme had the best orchestration, but this one put some awfully *sour* notes and nonsense into it, like a child just learning how to play an instrument for the first time. Blech!!

Please -- I hope they change it back and soon!
      I know ever since Doctor #1 (during the William Hartnell 1960's years/days) the theme song and visual mix has been almost annually experimented with; and it's had its intriguing and great moments during the *classic* D'WHO years. Better versions came along during Doctors #5 thru early #10. But now, I was so focused on hearing what was wrong or *different* with the muddled mess, that I forgot about the video picture sequences that came with it. And since the ending themes always get chopped off for commercial advertising heard instead of the actual theme music, it wasn't possible to figure out how much different the theme had changed into.

I do know that the music heard on Sci-Fi (USA version of) commercials just sounds awful... hoped the theme was better, and it was, but only slightly until the muddled musical mess came. And actually, I'm not sure if improving on the previous theme (for Seasons 27/1, 28/2 and early 29/3) needed improving. But this version definitely needs better fine tuning... *puleeeze*
      You're thinking of the Third Doctor story: The Claws of Axos, where the Axons look identical to the heavenly hosts, minus robes and wings.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        You're thinking of the Third Doctor story: The Claws of Axos, where the Axons look identical to the heavenly hosts, minus robes and wings.
        Thank you, and sorry it took so long to get back in here... (been super busy -- yikes!)
        Actually, I thought in Claws of Axos, the Axon faces were painted gold (and had wigs for hair, instead of the hair being part of the facial mask, too. But in the "Voyage of the Damned," it seemed that the bottom half of the "hosts" jaws were separate from the top half of their face, and very, very rigid (the mouths never moved), as if the whole thing was one unmovable construction piece -- and both halves made a rather stiff facial mask on both the top and bottom. Plus, their hair was built directly into the same top half of the facial mask unit (thus making the actor wearing all that gear get rather *warm* inside). ...ummm, details...

Usually, in most of the sci-fi shows, like Star Trek and some SG-1's, the alien faces were being created so that they could at least semi-move their jaws with more ease, if the top half of their faces were made super rigid. But sometimes, yah never know what's going to show up on Doctor Who...

Comment

We've only just had this episode here in Australia.

I hated the theme tune. What in the hell did they do mangling that?

I loved the design of the Titanic... Kylie wasn't nearly as annoying as I would have hoped...... Why has she done promo pictures with Daleks (re: other thread I made in the Dr. Who section) as if I expected Daleks to be in this show seeing those promo pictures.

I thought the episode was actually quite fun. Surprised by Mr. Copper. I nearly doubled over in shock. Expected Hyacinth to pop out at any moment to act all posh.... Fans of "Keeping Up Appearances" will know what I mean.

One thing that did bug me was the ending. It might have been in bad taste but that near miss with the ship over Buckingham Palace would have been better had they sliced off through the roof. It looked a bit out of scale...

OMG the queen likes the Doctor.. Since when?

Overall I loved it. I can't wait for the boxset.
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Ooh also while I'm at it what an easy way to patch the TARDIS up???

If the ship collided with the TARDIS does that mean had we seen outside it would have been penetrating the outside police box shape???

Hasn't this sort of thing happened once before in an old story?

Comment

brilliant ep

i loved the whole i'm a 903 year old timelord line. pretty much the doctor telling the people to shut up and let him do what he does best.

also nice not to be on earth unlike the past two specials
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

i agree. i love this episode
                sigpic

Comment

Another good moment was the queen saying "thankyou Doctor" which was a bit of a change since the last queen of England he met wanted his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                    Another good moment was the queen saying "thankyou Doctor" which was a bit of a change since the last queen of England he met wanted his head.
                    that was funny
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

lol yes that was fantastic
                      sigpic

Comment

We had Dr. Who Confidential after this episode and they said that a lot of churches objected to the scene where the Angels lifted the Doctor up, but later after it was so popular they started using the same images..

Anyone confirm if that was true?

Comment

I don't like the altered theme music as much as the old one.

Not an amazing Christmas Special but I still enjoyed it. Most of the secondary characters were good.

Comment

Finally having seen the uneditted version, the DVD set, it is a better episode than I expected. I enjoyed the scripting and acting. The effects were great, and din't overwhelm the story.
                            I've enjoyed this Special much more than The Next Doctor.
                            Boaddicea

Comment

i must watch this again it was a great episode
                              sigpic

Comment

Something I just got watching it again... when there talking about what Christmas is about:

Astrid: What's this Christmas thing about?

Doctor: Long Story.... I should know, I was there... I got the last room.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Working...
                                X