No announcement yet.

Voyage of the Damned (2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Copper was Richard Bucket in a different suit, he was good but not spectacular

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
      As an older person on this thread let me point out that Kylie was an actress long before her singing career took over and can I also say that Dr Who must have one hell of a reputation to get her back on screen after 20 years
      Yeah, I know that. It´s just that most people doesn´t know so she might have tried to "prove" something. I am glad she didn´t.
      Dr. Who has big reputation, I guess. I think lots of US writers could learn there how to make a sci-fi show *cough*Mallozzi and Mullie*cough*

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
        As an older person on this thread let me point out that Kylie was an actress long before her singing career took over and can I also say that Dr Who must have one hell of a reputation to get her back on screen after 20 years
        LOL As an Australian on this thread let me tell you what you call acting and what I call acting... two different things! Kylie only really impressed me in "The Henderson Kids" as far as acting goes; but then I was only 13.

Comment

So wait - what was with the Doctor saying 'You should see me in the mornings...' and Astrid goes 'Okay.' and then he looks slightly shocked by it?
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
            So wait - what was with the Doctor saying 'You should see me in the mornings...' and Astrid goes 'Okay.' and then he looks slightly shocked by it?
            She said he looks good for 903 and he joked, "You should see me in the mornings," a throwaway comment to suggest he doesn't look quite so good when he first gets up and she says, "Okay," kind of taking it as an invitation.. that yes, she'd like to be in a position to see him in the mornings. And he looks a little taken aback by that/unprepared for that and she looks a little shocked by what she's said and they both quickly find something else to talk about!
            sigpic

Comment

Ah right. Its just that in one of the BBC trailers it really focused on it, complete with the Doctor's Theme playing...sort of as if it were hinting at something.
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Really enjoyed it, with the exception of the god-farking-awful butchery of the theme song.

I was expecting Kylie Minogue to be terrible, but ended up actually enjoying her performance. The fat couple (sorry about that, but I can't remember their names and that's the easiest way to describe them) were just wonderful and their deaths rather upsetting.

The rich guy made richer by the entire catastrophe--did anyone notice that he served zero purpose in the entire episode? No important dialogue, no important plot point beyond a passing line later in the episode, not even any compelling character archetype. All he did was make money off the venture. I've done my best to avoid spoilers so I don't really know, but this makes me suspect his return in some capacity. I don't know, maybe I'm just grasping at straws.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                Clive Swift was the best bit, with his fabulous stories of the horrors of Christmas.
                This. Best part of the entire episode.

Oh, and why have we got this in the series 29/3 folder? Don't we normally count Christmas specials as the first episode of the coming series?
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I assume that Darren doesn't want to create an entire folder for one ep and then leave it gaping there for months until S4 starts up properly. At which point Darren will no doubt create a new folder and move this thread into it.

As for Kylie, I guess being an American has come in handy again: I don't have any sort of negative history or lowered expectations surrounding her. Or Catherine Tate. Although at least I'd actually heard of Kylie before now. Mostly, I think, because there was a character somewhere who was called Kylie and I liked it so much I did a bit of research to find out more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    The rich guy made richer by the entire catastrophe--did anyone notice that he served zero purpose in the entire episode? No important dialogue, no important plot point beyond a passing line later in the episode, not even any compelling character archetype. All he did was make money off the venture. I've done my best to avoid spoilers so I don't really know, but this makes me suspect his return in some capacity. I don't know, maybe I'm just grasping at straws.
                    I reckon his purpose was to set up the brief exchange between Clive swift and the Doctor about how if you were to choose who lived and who died you'd be a monster. There was a really rather chilling look on the Doctor's face at that point.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Oh, and why have we got this in the series 29/3 folder? Don't we normally count Christmas specials as the first episode of the coming series?
                      I thought that too but here on GW all the Christmas specials seem to be included in the folder of the preceding season. The Beeb certainly counts them as being part of the the season that follows them (at least, in their DVD boxsets they do) but GW seems to prefer to view them as the final episode of the preceding season?

I reckon his purpose was to set up the brief exchange between Clive swift and the Doctor about how if you were to choose who lived and who died you'd be a monster. There was a really rather chilling look on the Doctor's face at that point.
                      That was my thought too.
                      sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed this eps - I missed the opening bit so I can't comment on the song. I really hope - whatever it sounds like - they stick to the Who theme.
                        I thought Kylie did a good job; her character was so likeable but I figured from the start that she wouldn't make it - I can't see a mega star working as a Dr Who companion for the next year. A pity.
                        As for Catherine Tate...Hmmm, I must say I'm not her biggest fan, but to my surprise I enjoyed her in last yr's special, so it might work out. In any event, she's not in every eps since Martha will apparently be appearing as well. I'm very disappointed that Martha isn't on every week. I think she's the best companion of all.

Comment

Well now that I'm back and have the Internet again I can finally say what I thought of this ep.

I thought t was brilliant. Better than last years christmas special. Actually i think it's the best of the three. Astrid made a great companion though i was a bit disaponted she wasn't the emodiment of the TARDIS but oh well. Have to say though........what is it with the doctor and blondes? I mean there was Rose....not much needs to be said on their relationship there.......then he had no interest in Martha, then he actually seemed really interested in astrid.......ah well. But yeah I thought it was alot of fun. The CGI seems to have gone up a notch with the views of the titanic and all the characters were great..........killer robots maybe getting a bit old though.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Not just the specific comment, but the situation - I thionk he's there to break the mould of "good guys live, bad guys die/ redeem themsevles and become good guys." He's there to make that comment necessary.

There was a chilling look on his face, but I feel it was - partially - because that comment hit a bit too close for comfort. The Doctor, even if not by choice, does often end up deciding who's going to live and who's going to die - even if his default preference is "everybody lives!".
                            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

My fave bit:

Rickston Slade: Hang on a minute. Who put you in charge? And who in the hell are you anyway?

The Doctor: I'm the Doctor. [Cue swelling orchestral music] I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?

Slade: No.

The Doctor: In that case... Allons-y!

Comment

Must the Doctor insist on lying about his age? He is in no way 903. He is at least 1000. Honestly, he's as bad as a woman!

(That last part is a joke)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X