No announcement yet.

The Magician's Apprentice (3501 / 901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet Michelle Gomez would be a total hoot at conventions.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Loved it. Best episode since Listen and The Day of the Doctor before it.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I so enjoyed this episode! As much as I hated Missy before, I did love her in this.

From what I understood, The Doctor was acting the way he was because he was resigned to being killed by Davros, or did he send the will expecting to get help? He didn't really look that surprised to see Missy and Clara....

I too don't think that he will kill the child Davros, can't see them erasing the Daleks from history.

Comment

I'll admit to a tear during the opening... I recognised the battlefield, especially with the bow-and-arrow reference... and as soon as I saw the boy, I just knew it had to be Davros... and that Moffat was going to take us down that line by Tom so many years ago. I said it to my son - as in, would you kill Davros when he was a boy... My wife's reaction - Don't you mean Hitler? Same thing, of course... And such a common question...

Funnily enough, despite knowing who he is... It's as big a dilemma as it always has been. How do you look an innocent-looking child in the eyes and kill them, even knowing what they will become...

And then, the episode ends the only way I guess it could - with the Doctor about to do just that...

Clara Clara Clara...
          Spoiler:
          Frankly, knowing she's leaving, I wish this was how they did it - season opener, vaporised by the Daleks... Full circle for her character, really. And then in fact my son pointed out - she can't be dead, cos the trailer showed her in other stories... Oh well.

After becoming rather vested in Bors via the 6min Meditation, learning he's a Dalek spy was rather upsetting...

What did I think of the tank/guitar? A while ago, I'd have been pissed, cos it's ultimately unlike the Doctor to so blatantly cause an anachronism... I guess Moffat's style has dulled my care factor. I ultimately enjoyed it, especially knowing Capaldi's history.

Oh, and... apparently I made a very loud exclamation of joy upon seeing the classic era Dalek - not just doing a cameo but talking and properly moving around! And, I think the only thing that could have made the discovery of Skaro better would be if they'd been standing up on that ledge above the Dalek city that the Doctor, Susan, Barbara and Ian once stood on...
          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
          and lots more!

Comment

I am very confused. I'm sure the daleks have been wiped out, trapped and the universe rebooted many times in the new series. How did they get back? Didn't the daleks forget about the Doctor at some point? Is Rusty still alive?
            "You don't know half of it".
            Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
            (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Rewatched it this morning, definately looking forward to Part 2 for answers!

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                I am very confused. I'm sure the daleks have been wiped out, trapped and the universe rebooted many times in the new series. How did they get back? Didn't the daleks forget about the Doctor at some point? Is Rusty still alive?
                Because they always come back. That's what the Daleks do. Hell Skarro has been completely vaporised in the old series but still returns.

Comment

It's like the Master. The Master always comes back with little or no explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                    It's like the Master. The Master always comes back with little or no explanation.
                    Even though she's evidently burnt through all her regenerations about three times now... and The Doctor was worried about just his first set.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      Because they always come back. That's what the Daleks do. Hell Skarro has been completely vaporised in the old series but still returns.
                      Exactly, the Daleks are the cockroaches of the Doctor Who universe.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

OK some questions that bug me..

1. Was the TARDIS actually destroyed? Did anyone notice they showed a white light filling the console room?

2. Does this instance of Davros remember events from Journey's End? I wonder since the Universe did get a reboot so everything in essence died and was resurrected if the reboot was literal? Or do events in Journey's End take place in another time?

3. Was the whole extermination fake? Much like the fake spaceship actually being a building on Skaro? Something smells.

4. Why is the music louder then the dialog in some scenes? It's annoying.

5. How did he take the tank back to the 12th Century? Where in the TARDIS would you carry a tank? OH and he just left it there in the past without a care in the world. Great.
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                          Exactly, the Daleks are the cockroaches of the Doctor Who universe.
                          So how does their planet keep surviving?
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                            RANI: I thought that last mad scheme of yours had finished you for good.
                            MASTER: You jest, of course. I'm indestructible. The whole universe knows that.
                            Sums up the Master et al, and post Destiny Davros...

Music being louder than dialogue..... Not entirely sure but thinking maybe an issue between 5.1 audio and 2.1? IE 5.1 has it's own dialogue channel (centre), and 2.1 doesn't... Bad downmixing ?
                            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              So how does their planet keep surviving?
                              We don't know at what point in Skaro's history this story takes place.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                                OK some questions that bug me..

1. Was the TARDIS actually destroyed? Did anyone notice they showed a white light filling the console room?

2. Does this instance of Davros remember events from Journey's End? I wonder since the Universe did get a reboot so everything in essence died and was resurrected if the reboot was literal? Or do events in Journey's End take place in another time?

3. Was the whole extermination fake? Much like the fake spaceship actually being a building on Skaro? Something smells.

4. Why is the music louder then the dialog in some scenes? It's annoying.

5. How did he take the tank back to the 12th Century? Where in the TARDIS would you carry a tank? OH and he just left it there in the past without a care in the world. Great.
                                In regards to the tank, what good is it really going to do anyone in the 12th Century?If we assume it MAY have ammo then that would likely get used up only IF the denizens of that castle figured out how to fire it. They they have to learn how to drive it and then as soon as the thing runs out of fuel then that's about it. It becomes useless. So chances are it would make no difference to the timeline except that they probably either scrapped it for parts for whatever uses they could figure out or just buried it for taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
                                X