Mummy On the Orient Express (3408/808)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    I hadn't either. But my flatmate apparently knew her right away despite being ten years older than me...... admittedly his music tastes are questionable at best. Although having said that I though she sang pretty well.
    And there, in a nutshell, is the root of the matter.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      However I am still intrigued by that dead cop. What did he see out of the window when he as in "heaven?"
      As Missy seems to be collecting people who have died either directly or indirectly for the Doctor, I wondered if he was looking at thousands of Clara Oswalds.

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
      Well, both BruTak and myself are in the UK and I've never heard of her either. Perhaps it's an age thing?
      I hadn't heard of her either, and I'm what might be called a little older *cough* But my daughter, who is 14, knows who she is.

Oh and I liked the idea about Obsidian...... Thank you Blencathra.........

BTW in the old days didn't Terry Nation want the Doctor in Blake's 7 at one point?
      Your're welcome.

Yes Terry Nation wanted the Daleks in Blake's 7. He wanted them to be the invasion force at the end of series B, but the BBC wouldn't let him.

Talking of Doctor Who and Blake's 7, here's something fascinating. (Spoilered as it's off topic)

Spoiler:

The Time Lords and Federation apparently use the same lighting shop.

This is the top part of a Pileo lamp, shown with the top part raised up and also down.

Here it is on it's stand.

This lamp appeared on Gallifrey in The Invasion of Time with the 4th Doctor

Two were also in the Blake's 7 episode Killer on the planet Fostron in Tynus' office. With top configured differently on one lamp, and just the top part for the other lamp.

It was in Space 1999

and most recently two of them were in the 11th Doctor's TARDIS

Hee!

Comment

OMG those lamps are pretty cool........

For your enjoyment

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=978013732212654

BTW there are clips in there from future episodes
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

That end scene in the TARDIS bugged me a tiny bit. For one moment I thought the Doctor wanted the engineer as a companion..... I did find it odd he understood what was down there in the TARDIS guts... I'm even more surprised the Doctor let him poke around down there.

Was it just me or did the Doctor seemed to think that he has an idea of who was behind the mummy and all that?

Also how was it that this mummy thing has been doing the rounds for so long that it's become a legend that even the Doctor knows about? I find that interesting.

Oh and I liked the idea about Obsidian...... Thank you Blencathra.........

BTW in the old days didn't Terry Nation want the Doctor in Blake's 7 at one point?
          Perkins himself said he can't comprehend how the TARDIS works, but he could tell that a peace of technology he recognized needed work doing it.
          Think of it this way: You show a person from fifty years ago a modern circuit board and they probably won't begin to be able to understand it, but they still know a burnt out fuse when they see one.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Apart from the Clara melodrama i thought this was Peter Capaldi's best episode
            Last Movie Watched
            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
            Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              Perkins himself said he can't comprehend how the TARDIS works, but he could tell that a peace of technology he recognized needed work doing it.
              Think of it this way: You show a person from fifty years ago a modern circuit board and they probably won't begin to be able to understand it, but they still know a burnt out fuse when they see one.

Point taken. He specifically said "engine stacks" so that's odd if the engine stacks are just under the console considering in another episode they had to wander miles to find the engines.

Comment

Nice one. I had fun. Liked the Doctors charkter much more than in the later episodes so far. Some nice lines, great setting, loved the shots of the train moving through space, it looekd beautyfull. Very Agatha Christi. Great costumes.

What ichtes me are the jumpes between the episodes. One moment Clara ditches the Doctor for pusching her too far, the next she is back on board the TARDIS. And even if it was supposed to be her goodbye-tripp, I still wonder what made her let teh Doctor take her once again. And yes I know, there isn't that much time for the subplots and yes it is a SiFi-show and all about the adventures and not a daily soap (do you use that word in english or is it one of these pseydo-english words we use in Germany?) - thank heaven - but it still feels like a hole in the charakters development.

And not only the Missy-question seems dropped, but also the memory/who am I/(self)reflecion-theme.
                Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Overall I thought it sounded kinda stupid, but was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the episode.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenee View Post
                    Nice one. I had fun. Liked the Doctors charkter much more than in the later episodes so far. Some nice lines, great setting, loved the shots of the train moving through space, it looekd beautyfull. Very Agatha Christi. Great costumes.

What ichtes me are the jumpes between the episodes. One moment Clara ditches the Doctor for pusching her too far, the next she is back on board the TARDIS. And even if it was supposed to be her goodbye-tripp, I still wonder what made her let teh Doctor take her once again. And yes I know, there isn't that much time for the subplots and yes it is a SiFi-show and all about the adventures and not a daily soap (do you use that word in english or is it one of these pseydo-english words we use in Germany?) - thank heaven - but it still feels like a hole in the charakters development.

And not only the Missy-question seems dropped, but also the memory/who am I/(self)reflecion-theme.
                    The self reflection thing has, but every episode has still dealt heavily with perception. In this case, a monster only one person can see at any one time. So the theme is continuing, it's just not quite what we thought it was.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Ok, so I finally finished watching this one on repeat on ABC2 tonight... Actually found it by chance, had no idea they were repeating them... My son has been asking me all week if I've watched it yet, as he wants to talk to me about it - he was under orders not to tell me what happens... Which I guess actually suggests I do care about this Doctor...

So, getting passed that whole "another person he doesn't try to save" thing, and Clara's rather annoying Clara-ness... I did like this story! :} It very much still is the "Good Man" question... but - and - did I mention that 5 would have stood in the Mummy's way??? I think that moment saved the story for me, having thought about it so much.

(Disjointed sentence above, sorry, so sorry.)

The final scene in the TARDIS really felt like what I have been waiting for... Clara getting over her issues, as the Doctor himself actually explains himself - he's making the hard decisions... I can buy that answer... So long as they actually make a bit more of a show of this idea in the next few stories.

I had no idea who Frank Skinner was (except for having a passing resemblance with Olaf Peterson/Rory's dad)... Frankly even Wiki's left me none the wiser in terms of my own universe, but at least I appreciate - Ok, he's someone in the UK... As for his role in this story - I liked the character, and did indeed wonder if we might have been getting a bit of a "Scrufffy" (Futurama) character coming aboard the TARDIS! But no...

(His comment Re the engine stacks... My interpretation of that was simply that he was an engineer, he's had a look under the TARDIS' bonnet, and had no idea what anything was, but could perhaps tell it was an aged vehicle, requiring some maintenance... He has then used a term from his own vocabulary to describe it...)

(Also didn't know the foxy lady... I suspect perhaps "hiring" her didn't cost too much, as she seemed to be a bit of a fan, but moreso - if she's not known for her acting, she likely was being paid more for the song she performed... Frankly I doubt it broke the budget.)

Hey Greenee - The term "soap" certainly is known in English-speaking-lands... Just referring to a tv drama that typically runs 5 days a week, with the uncanny ability to take weeks/months for plot-lines to play through. Classic Doctor Who could certainly almost be called a soap, as whilst it was only once a week, it took 2-12 weeks for the stories to play out...

I'll be back...
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

^^^^^

The Term "soap opera" used to describe TV shows came about because during the production of these shows in the early days of TV a lot of the advertising in the ad breaks was soap companies.....

Comment

^^^^^

The Term "soap opera" used to describe TV shows came about because during the production of these shows in the early days of TV a lot of the advertising in the ad breaks was soap companies.....
                          Soap Operas began on the radio, and got the name because the major sponsors of these shows were the soap companies.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                            Soap Operas began on the radio, and got the name because the major sponsors of these shows were the soap companies.

Ah my bad I almost got it right

Comment

Ah my bad I almost got it right
                              You were almost correct so you still get a mark.
                              sigpic

Comment

What was it that Clara quoted in Day Of The Doctor?
                                "Don't talk about whether or not you're a good man, just be one."
                                (I'm calling dibs on flashbacks!!)
                                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X