Cold War (3309/709)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    You youngsters don't know how lucky you are.

When I was a kid, if you missed an episode of Doctor Who - that was it. You'd missed it.
    There'd maybe be an off season repeat later in the year, if you were lucky.
    I remember those days. And it is for that reason I love the old target novels.
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenee View Post
      And than there are those of us who have to rely on streaming because it dosen't air in their countrey at all or with a huuuuge delay (my dad came acros an episode the otehr day, wich was from series five or six) and even worse, in very VERY bad dubbing. Tough I do by the DVDs later.
      We don't talk about THOSE countries.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The translation now annoys me. How can it still work when the TARDIS is now on the other side of the Earth on the South Pole?

Is the effective radius now planet wide?

And that kissing joke got on my nerves a little bit. It's a kids show why do they have to do the "gay jokes" almost every episode? We get the joke already it's now very old and tired.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          But then again, we Brits are the ones who pay the license fee so it's about fair.
          I do pay extra to get BBC America - it's not part of my basic cable package.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
            I remember those days. And it is for that reason I love the old target novels.
            To all intents and purposes, I learned to read via the Target novels.

I think we should start a campaign to get Terrance Dicks some sort of official recognition. A Knighthood maybe, for Services to Children's Literature.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

The first Target novel I actually read, rather than just flip through for the pictures/stare at the cover, was The Abominable Snowmen... At that point, I'd probably only seen 2 in The Five Doctors... maybe The Three Doctors too...

Right now, I'm reading it again - up to page 58 right now - with my 5 year old son... We actually watched ep2 a few weeks before we started reading... I plan on us watching the full story (with recons of course) when we finish the book...
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                The translation now annoys me. How can it still work when the TARDIS is now on the other side of the Earth on the South Pole?

Is the effective radius now planet wide?

And that kissing joke got on my nerves a little bit. It's a kids show why do they have to do the "gay jokes" almost every episode? We get the joke already it's now very old and tired.
                The translation circuit works psychically. We're talking about a device that travels all the way through time and space, I can more than believe that it can continue that from the other side of a planet so pathetically tiny as the Earth.
                Asylum of the Daleks also showed that it can most likely operate from orbit.

The gay jokes are also not nearly in every episode. Russell T Davis liked to use them a lot, Moffatts tenure has seen less but either way I find it's admirable that a family show can demonstrate homosexuality in a normal light. Not overtly but just in a "Oh, they're gay? Fair enough then." kinda way.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post

The gay jokes are also not nearly in every episode. Russell T Davis liked to use them a lot, Moffatts tenure has seen less but either way I find it's admirable that a family show can demonstrate homosexuality in a normal light. Not overtly but just in a "Oh, they're gay? Fair enough then." kinda way.

I get that. I really do, but once or twice is fine. every series they do this.

Comment

I get that. I really do, but once or twice is fine. every series they do this.
                    I didn't even catch that joke...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      I didn't even catch that joke...
                      The old guy made a crack about kissing and the Doctor says something flirty back and now I forgot what the line was but it didn't really gel for me. Just felt flat like "it's just there to make a point" kind of.

Comment

The old guy made a crack about kissing and the Doctor says something flirty back and now I forgot what the line was but it didn't really gel for me. Just felt flat like "it's just there to make a point" kind of.
                        Specifically The Doctor said "I could kiss you" after the professor found his screwdriver.

The professor responds with more a less something along the lines of "If you insist." in a very dead pan fashion.
                        The Doctor responds by looking a little awkward and says "maybe later" before looking away and strolling off.

Comment

I don't see what the fuss is about. "I could kiss you" is a fairly common expression.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

That is *not* a gay joke.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              That is *not* a gay joke.
                              Maybe not. but it just felt flat for me.

BTW love your sig what is the very strange looking aircraft 2nd to the last one?

Comment

Maybe not. but it just felt flat for me.

BTW love your sig what is the very strange looking aircraft 2nd to the last one?
                                I do believe that it is a Raytheon Sentinel. Essentially a converted Bombardier Global Express private civilian aircraft converted to a battlefield surveillance role. Hence the large torpedo shaped radar pod on the bottom and another oddly shaped bulge on its back near the cockpit.

Comment

Working...
                                X