The Wedding of River Song (3213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
    I lost all respect for Amy when she tried to get the Doctor into her bed on the night before her wedding. Rory wouldn't have tried that with Romana.
    She was running away for one last jaunt and truly chose Rory when the time came. She wouldn't be unfaithful to him now. Speaking of running, the Doctor ran away from his destiny at Lake Silencio for 200 subjective years in his timeline while she ran away for, what, all of maybe several months of subjective time?
    sigpic

Comment

If I were engaged and discovered that my bride to be was having a last "jaunt" she would no longer be my bride to be.
      sigpic
      Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
        If I were engaged and discovered that my bride to be was having a last "jaunt" she would no longer be my bride to be.
        In the end, she chose Rory, despite the Dream Lord's challenges. Their relationship was tested and in the end she really chose him. I think their relationship was pretty untested by advserity and fairly weak up until the Doctor came into their lives the night before the wedding.

I'd rather have somebody be tempted and choose me in the end rather than someone who was unsure about being with me the whole time.
        sigpic

Comment

thought it was brillant. Can't wait for xmas

One thing though if time is frozen at 5.03pm when the time is restored big ben chimed. I thought Big Ben only chimed at top of the hour
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
            In the end, she chose Rory, despite the Dream Lord's challenges. Their relationship was tested and in the end she really chose him. I think their relationship was pretty untested by advserity and fairly weak up until the Doctor came into their lives the night before the wedding.

I'd rather have somebody be tempted and choose me in the end rather than someone who was unsure about being with me the whole time.
            On top of that the Doctor had been her fairytale Prince Charming for as long as she could remember. That's a powerful thing for anyone, on top of the fact that at the end of the day the Doctor drops out of the sky to pick up young women and take them around the Universe in general. Amy could be forgiven for thinking that he wanted to have a deeper connection with her than having a new companion.
            A womans fantasy can be a strong thing.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              On top of that the Doctor had been her fairytale Prince Charming for as long as she could remember. That's a powerful thing for anyone, on top of the fact that at the end of the day the Doctor drops out of the sky to pick up young women and take them around the Universe in general. Amy could be forgiven for thinking that he wanted to have a deeper connection with her than having a new companion.
              A womans fantasy can be a strong thing.
              Indeed. That's all changed for Amy now. After the events in "The God Complex" where the Doctor asked her to let go of her faith in him, I strongly doubt she looks at him as her fairytale Prince Charming anymore. In that moment, she finally grew up and ceased to be the Girl Who Waited. I think that she looks at the Doctor for who he really is now. I think that will solidify her relationship with Rory even more as she's not needing the Doctor to come out of the sky and swoop her out of her boring life. She has the Last Centurion in her real life.
              sigpic

Comment

To counter a point previously made:

Amy actually did seem to entirely forget the "last centurion" role of Rory, and his entirely self-sacrificing MO, when he was trying to help that plain looking woman with the Flesh episodes.

It's actually one of the first BIG WARNING SIGNS I had about Amy Pond as a character that went beyond simple annoyance.

"He spent 2,000 years protecting me in solitude, saving me from the Blitz and Gauls and the Welsh and time itself, accepted my love of the Doctor without a question, and was my rock when the Doctor died, doing everything from holding Amy to burning the Doctor himself, and is even smarter than me and has more initiative. I'll be DAMNED IF HE SHOWS CARE FOR ANOTHER WOMAN."

While she certainly remembers it about him when she sits back to think about it, it's hardly her first thought of him, even as recently as the God Complex where her deepest fear isn't losing Rory but losing the Doctor.

Amusement: Amy running off with the Doctor in and of itself isn't a bad thing. It's typical to get cold feet and, hey, he has a Time Machine.

However, doing it in the bed that she and Rory, probably numerous times, had sex in, after having talked to Doctor about Rory IMMEDIATELY PRIOR, is clearly gross betrayal, no matter how you slice it.

I wonder how the people defending her would feel if their own wives/husbands not only wanted a last-minute shag, but they wanted to do it in a bed they slept in, with their wedding dress/tux in view, how they'd think.

Her character in the beginning was, frankly, a fairly horrible one. She grew and became a great one over time, but trying to defend her horrible actions as some flight-of-fancy "the dreams of a woman are powerful" mumbo jumbo is a pile of manure I'm sure could be used by a farm for at least a decade.

And arguing that what many view as a "strong woman" needed a man to break her soul and her faith to make her into a stronger, more loving wife is actually a disservice to her character more than anything else. Not only is she incapable of controlling herself, as that implies, but apparently she can't even have a solid relationship with her own husband unless another man forces her into it.
                Last edited by jameshawking; 04 October 2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

To counter the point regarding her jealousy in rebel flesh, keep in mind that she never got angry at Rory. She looked concerned but she trusted Rory enough to do what he had to do be cause she knew it was in his nature to care about people that were vulnerable. The reason why she started to feel jealous is because she felt insecure. There was a new girl who looked up to Rory and saw him as a hero figure and made a point of telling him about it and Amy felt jealous that another girl had feelings for Rory, not neccesarilly because she felt there was any chance of him actually leaving her.

At no point did she pout, stamp her feet and accuse him of cheating. And the only time she actually tried to stop him was when the situation was becoming dangerous.
                  Jealousy can take on many forms, and it can contain may conflicting emotions. In this case Amy was happy enough that Rory was doing what he did best and taking care of people. She wasn't worried that he was going to run off with another girl or do anything to hurt their relationship, she was just jealous about the fact that there was a new girl showing Rory a personality that Amy never could, mainly because of her independance and strength.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Right. Note to self: never mention references to Jeff again.

Regarding the episode itself, I do have one little nitpick:

Remind me again why they needed River in the suit? I mean, if River had been brainwashed at that particular moment I probably wouldn't have noticed, but River states quite explicitly that the suit is in control. So... why bother making a Time Lady to put in the suit if she's not going to be doing anything? Why bother having anyone in the suit, for that matter?

Comment

Maybe the suit needs an occupant to work - maybe it can hijack the wearer's motor control but has little or no motive power of its own.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

To make it even more painful for the Doctor?

Comment

All I have to say about this episode is...
                          Wonderful Twist at the end... ! Well done...!
                          Roll on the Christmas special...
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Remind me again why they needed River in the suit?
                            Because the event at Lake Silencio was a fixed point in time and they both needed to be there, as the Doctor showed, there are ways around fixed Time-Points.

Whomever is behind the Silence movement has almost Time-Lord level knowledge of Time and fixed points and manipulation, so it falls to reason that to prevent the fixed point being shattered and causing the death of time (6x13) Kovarian was ordered to get River to the right place at the right time, most likely it was the whole reason for the space suit in the first place.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                              Whomever is behind the Silence movement has almost Time-Lord level knowledge of Time and fixed points and manipulation, so it falls to reason that to prevent the fixed point being shattered and causing the death of time (6x13) Kovarian was ordered to get River to the right place at the right time, most likely it was the whole reason for the space suit in the first place.
                              Not necessarily - it turned out to be that River had to kill "the Doctor", but the Silence may not have known it was a fixed point. They were, after all, merely creating a weapon. Do any non-Time Lords even know about fixed-points?

Comment

The white & black Guardians would.
                                sigpic
                                Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Working...
                                X