No announcement yet.

Let's Kill Hitler (3208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing episode, I can't believe how many things were tied up and set in motion during this episode. It's the kind of thing I always hope for but rarely see happen.

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
    However - why would someone wanting to contact/meet the Doctor study archaeology?
    Sounds like a pretty good way for a genius mind like River or the Doctor to find a fellow time traveler when events are solved, or slight references are made.

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
    So, do we think the Silence (species from the beginning of Series 6) are the same Silence as mentioned in this episode? A religious cult?
    I would guess The Species from Season 6 is are of The Silence who we now know to be a religious order\cult. Whether they are members as a whole just just in part has yet to be revealed.

Originally posted by jameshawking View Post
    4) Humans...never got Time Travel technology. Period. That was the whole point of the "Year that never was" arc. Incongruity annoys me when its like this.
    1) Are we 100% sure about this or did they just never develop time travel that equaled the capabilities of the TARDIS?
    2) Are we sure those people were "human"
    sigpic

Comment

5) If the TARDIS could mind-meld and talk to people, as she did with River....what the hell (censoring myself) is the reason for it not doing so with the Doctor, if for no reason other than to teach him how to park.
      Originally posted by Alan View Post
      Because only River was conceived in the TARDIS and no-one else was.
      and theres a difference between "talking" and "imparting imformation". also, The Impossible Astronaut / The Day of the Moon imply the doctor may know more about his TARDIS than he lets on, ie the scanner working when cloaked
      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
        1) Are we 100% sure about this or did they just never develop time travel that equaled the capabilities of the TARDIS?
        2) Are we sure those people were "human"
        1) Humans have time travel technology in the 51st century. Its just not as comfortable as TARDIS travel as explained back in the 2007 story Utopia and demonstrated in the story The Sound of Drums.
        2) True, they might not have been human. But even if they were, humans have time travel technology and, as I say above, the human race has developed an uncomfortable form of it by the 51st century so they could have been from that century or after it.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          1) Humans have time travel technology in the 51st century. Its just not as comfortable as TARDIS travel as explained back in the 2007 story Utopia and demonstrated in the story The Sound of Drums.
          2) True, they might not have been human. But even if they were, humans have time travel technology and, as I say above, the human race has developed an uncomfortable form of it by the 51st century so they could have been from that century or after it.
          also, humanity has interbred so much by the 51st century, all "humans" are infact "near-humans"
          People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

a few problems:

1) Wait, so we only get one episode of River being evil? I call BS on that one. Seriously. the ENTIRE river-kills-doctor threat (with alex kingston anyway) was resolved in one episode? That seriously pisses me off.
            You know what, I agree with that - while I'm grateful for the resolution to some major plot threads that have been dangling for a while, psycho!River was great fun to watch and I wish we could see more. Then again, maybe Rory's unanswered question about whether all that stuff is gone out of her head now is a hint that River might have some kind of relapse. I can't imagine all that conditioning just deleted itself that "easily".

2) Childhood Amy is more important to the Doctor, and liked more, Than IDRIS/the TARDIS itself? Really Moffat? I know you've got a thing for red-headed strippers, but...c'mon.
            Maybe it's as simple as Suranne Jones being unavailable for filming. Maybe it's because the Doctor needs the image of an innocent ("somebody I haven't screwed up yet"), not just a long time friend (he turned down Rose, Martha and Donna because of the guilt associated with them, what's to say he doesn't have similar or even worse issues regarding the TARDIS due to stealing her, possibly fancying a machine etc).

3) Why doesn't Rory have a Sonic Cane?
            Because the world can't handle that much awesome.

3b) Rory knows how to use the Sonic, as demonstrated in the previous episode. Why is he inept at it now?
            Wait - when was he inept? He told Amy how to use it - "psychic interface, just point-and-think" - in exactly the manner of somebody who knows how to use a sonic screwdriver.

4) Humans...never got Time Travel technology. Period. That was the whole point of the "Year that never was" arc. Incongruity annoys me when its like this.
            Uh...what? 51st century, time agency, Jack Harkness, vortex manipulators, Dorium and his 'fresh off the wrist...I said off the wrist' lines in The Pandorica Opens (which is most definitely after the year that never was)...all of that still happens/happened as far as I can tell, and I don't remember any such comment about the year that never was being related to human time travel.

5) If the TARDIS could mind-meld and talk to people, as she did with River....what the hell (censoring myself) is the reason for it not doing so with the Doctor, if for no reason other than to teach him how to park.
            I think it has to do with River saying she's the 'child of the TARDIS'. I think that means she has a link to the TARDIS above and beyond even the Doctor's, possibly that she may even be part TARDIS, who knows? I think it's going to be another future development, and story wise, I'd say it's an absolute one off brought about purely by the circumstances of River's conception, not a regular but unused feature.

6) The question is obviously "what is your name?", just as clearly as river=amy's daughter was.
            Yeah, I think it's likely to be some variation on that, but I wouldn't want to lay money on it.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
              Because the world can't handle that much awesome.
              Indeed.

Also, I find it interesting that the poison Melody/River used was from the "Judas" plant.
              Last edited by Carter1994; 29 August 2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

General responses:

1) Yeah, I screwed up and forgot about jack. You can kill me now. (btw, why is Jack now almost explicitly gay D: !? )

2) Screwed up on Rory, too. -facepalm- I need to watch these things more than 2 times, it seems.

3) "child of the TARDIS" doesn't really fly with me, for one reason.

The Doctor regenerated how many times in the TARDIS? It's even been shown to have a direct boost in his recovery time. So, being conceived on the TARDIS (which isn't even why she's epic, it's just the foundation) would, in my view, be less important than being reconstituted numerous times and the TARDIS having an explicit impact on it.

4) Why do I have horrible nightmares about Sonic Screwdrivers being as copious in DW as Keyblades now are in kingdom hearts? First it was the Dr, then Master (laser, though), and now every current companion knows how to use it and there are several of them (at least two)

4a) Fan-wanking wish: Rory getting into a fight and fighting with the sonic-cane.

5) A.K. shouldn't be going back to psychopath. We see her becoming an archaeologist so she can find him (granted, could be evil as well, but considering this was immediately after saving his life and burning her entire life up in doing so...). She fully can be, I realize, but I do doubt it. I imagine a bunch of "substitute river" characters, like Mel.

Comment

hmm, what can I say that hasn't already been covered.... hmmm not much.

Well, I found myself wondering off halfway through to make a cup of tea, which is very unlike me, imho the story is now getting far too complicated to follow, especially for the younger side of the audience that it's mainly aimed at, it needs to be wrapped up asap as A.K. isn't getting any younger

Although I was enjoying the storyline, I'm not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                    Not here. When I checked the BBCA "full" schedule (not the actual TV channel), it was showing reruns of previous eps. That was all day yesterday into midnight.

So, since we were having a hurricane, and I was sick from migraines and nausea (bad ginger ale did the final deed), I never turned the Tv on, and just went straight to my pillow. Never bothered recording (DVR) because I didn't know what time to record.

Anywho.. just found out from the BBCA, the following info----
                    (that's Monday pm night at midnight into Tuesday am)

nah, I don't think I'll stay up that late, but will see if we can DVR it to watch later in the week (next Sunday, instead, maybe).

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    well, i know on BBCA that I watched sat night, i saw the best of the companions special, and this eps, and there was another dr who special last saturday
                    again, we've been screwed. no DW here. Time has changed again to Tuesday into Wednesday now.
                    No repeats on same Sat night before the next ep, either. Just BSG until next ep of DW starts. I give up.
                    Our DVR won't record if the codes are wrong either. No DW listed for tonight.
                    Top Gear did look interesting, tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                      hmm, what can I say that hasn't already been covered.... hmmm not much.

Well, I found myself wondering off halfway through to make a cup of tea, which is very unlike me, imho the story is now getting far too complicated to follow, especially for the younger side of the audience that it's mainly aimed at, it needs to be wrapped up asap as A.K. isn't getting any younger

Although I was enjoying the storyline, I'm not anymore.
                      I find myself asking my 13yo to remind me about things... he's become a better Whovian than me!

As to the wibbly wobbly timey wimey... theories busted again... my head hurts.
                      Last edited by Lahela; 30 August 2011, 12:48 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

how comes that River doesn't get poisoned with the poison she has on her lips?
                        Grimm returns October 24
                        sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                        Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
                          I always think of Get Smart... rubber lips.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
                            She's used them before too.... So that's not out of the question
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

The only bit I don't get with the timeine is how River was a little kid in both 1969 and 1980s. She must have time traveled as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                                The only bit I don't get with the timeine is how River was a little kid in both 1969 and 1980s. She must have time traveled as a kid.
                                I got the impression (from her comment about making herself a bit younger) that she could control her aging.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X