No announcement yet.

A Good Man Goes To War (3207)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode was so amazing I cannot possibly begin to express my thoughts. My eyes were wide and happy the entire time. I could not stop smiling!
    Last edited by Replicator Todd; 06 June 2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Wow! Just wow! That was amazing!

Until the last moment I'm was thinking: River is the doctor mom? The cousin? The daughter? His lawyer?

Just one thought: What separates humans from Time Lords are that Artron energy, right? So what if the time lords are in fact humans that landed in this weird planet full of weird energy and ended mutated by it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kamosis View Post

Until the last moment I'm was thinking: River is the doctor mom? The cousin? The daughter? His lawyer?

Just one thought: What separates humans from Time Lords are that Artron energy, right? So what if the time lords are in fact humans that landed in this weird planet full of weird energy and ended mutated by it?
        It's good speculation but I doubt it's anything they'll cover in the series. I'm happy that the place of the Time Lords is in legend and myths now. Gives the universe so much history.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Thats the one thing ive always disliked about Doctor Who, they've always skated over evolution.

Apart from a few stories here and there, theres been almost no change to humans from Roman times upto 100 trillion years, now with constantly changing environmental factors, not counting technology and time energy, there could have bee room for some improvement, but nothing

Now we find over billions of years Time-Lords became their namesake.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
            Thats the one thing ive always disliked about Doctor Who, they've always skated over evolution.

Apart from a few stories here and there, theres been almost no change to humans from Roman times upto 100 trillion years,
            False. We saw primitive cavemen humans in An Unearthly Child, modern humans (obviously), machinery-enhanced trans-humans in the episodes set in 200000 and 200100, learned from Cassandra that there were few to no Humans left who hadn't mingled with alien races around the year 5 billion, and in Utopia the Doctor stated that had evolved into gases and energy a few times but always returned to the same basic form.

Unrelated....for anyone wondering what Madame Vastra (the Silurian) looks like under those scales...
            Spoiler:

Giggity
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              False. We saw primitive cavemen humans in An Unearthly Child, modern humans (obviously), machinery-enhanced trans-humans in the episodes set in 200000 and 200100, learned from Cassandra that there were few to no Humans left who hadn't mingled with alien races around the year 5 billion, and in Utopia the Doctor stated that had evolved into gases and energy a few times but always returned to the same basic form.

Unrelated....for anyone wondering what Madame Vastra (the Silurian) looks like under those scales...
              Spoiler:

Giggity
              Gorgeous.

One of the many thoughts that came to mind whilst I watched A Good Man Goes to War was that I think I'd like to see a spin-off show featuring Vastra and Jenny investigating odd goings on in Victorian London. Obviously it would have to be set sometime prior to 1879 otherwise you'd just be asking yourself "well where's the Torchwood Institute whilst all this is going on?". I think it'd be quite interesting.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Utopia the Doctor stated that had evolved into gases and energy a few times but always returned to the same basic form.
                have to admit, i never actually heard him say that in the ep, but then again my hearing isnt that great anymore.

As for the others i probably didnt remember them.

What i was getting at mroe though, was that we hear of what Time-Lords are compared to humans etc etc a few times a season, weve never seen or heard of anything human becoming a super force for good, which is almost the silently accepted norm that "humans will become their manifest destiny"

In Stargate we were, in Star Trek we were, in Star wars it was 50/50, BSg was kept at OUR current level of evolution (socially) etc etc

I just thought with the Doctor raising us up above his shoulders every-time theres something to be remarked upon about us, they might have shown WHY the Doctor has such faith in us.

N.C

Comment

What i was getting at mroe though, was that we hear of what Time-Lords are compared to humans etc etc a few times a season, weve never seen or heard of anything human becoming a super force for good, which is almost the silently accepted norm that "humans will become their manifest destiny"
                  We do know that on at least four occasions, Earth expands into "great and bountiful" empires. Presumably, with a descriptor like that, we become a force for good.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    We do know that on at least four occasions, Earth expands into "great and bountiful" empires. Presumably, with a descriptor like that, we become a force for good.
                    Personally, with a name like Great and Bountiful Human Empire, I always thought it was somewhat contradictory, in much the way that most nation's calling themselves the People's this or the Democratic that generally...aren't.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

have to admit, i never actually heard him say that in the ep, but then again my hearing isnt that great anymore.

As for the others i probably didnt remember them.

In Stargate we were, in Star Trek we were, in Star wars it was 50/50, BSg was kept at OUR current level of evolution (socially) etc etc

I just thought with the Doctor raising us up above his shoulders every-time theres something to be remarked upon about us, they might have shown WHY the Doctor has such faith in us.

N.C
                      The Doctor essentially sees us as complex creatures. He recognises that we can do great acts of evil and hatred and berates us for it but at the same time we can have such love and affection at the same time. I tink he sees this as a unique trait in the galaxy. He sees our courage and our determination in adversity and admires it, just as he admires how we can show kindness to even our worst enemies.
                      The Doctor, when it comes to humans is ultimately a bit of an optimist which is why he gets so angry when he feels let down by us. In the end though what fascinates him is humanity's massive complexity. When you consider all other races he's met they can seem so 2dimensional, whereas humans never cease to surprise him one way or another.
                      I think in more recent years he has grown more bitter towards them, partially because of the timewar and also the number of times humanity has let him down. But yet he still holds a belif that humanity has great potential just because of that vast quantity of curiosity and determination that we as a race hold.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

But that whole idea of "humanity's potential" kind of loses its meaning when he knows (in general) their entire history from beginning to end.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                          But that whole idea of "humanity's potential" kind of loses its meaning when he knows (in general) their entire history from beginning to end.
                          That's the reasoning that the Master used to bend Lucy to his will

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                            It s true tat he knows both their ups and their downs, and he knows how they began and he knows how they ended. But there are still plenty of times in between he hasn't seen. And on top of all that, while he doesn't have as much faith in the human race as a whole any more after all his time, he still sees the good in groups and individuals, such as the Utopians.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                              Slightly OT, are they both keeping secrets from one another. The Doctor knows that River is doing to die and River knows the Doctor is going to die but they are keeping that secrets?
                              yep, that's the way it seems =) awesome is it not?

It's funny that the eye patch lady (or whoever is behind trying to kill the Doctor) thinks that they can succeed. I mean even an alliance of the doctor's enemies could not defeat him!
                              i know! he always has a way out even when it looks like everything going to 5hit. heck, he survived the end of the universe and even had one of his companions rewrite the universe to their memories!

Originally posted by Kamosis View Post

lol that last bit would explain why she knows his name, it's on all of the subpoenas.

speaking of something that annoyed me in the ep, did it annoy any one else when River referred to Rory and Amy as the Doctors best friends? I'm sure that in the second part of End of Time the Doctor refers to Donna as his best mate.
                              Maybe it's just me, but I loved their friendship so much, and they seemed much closer than the Doctor does to Amy or Rory.
                              "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                              "what?"
                              *throat punch*
                              My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                              LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Originally posted by rosey_angel View Post
                                speaking of something that annoyed me in the ep, did it annoy any one else when River referred to Rory and Amy as the Doctors best friends? I'm sure that in the second part of End of Time the Doctor refers to Donna as his best mate.
                                Maybe it's just me, but I loved their friendship so much, and they seemed much closer than the Doctor does to Amy or Rory.
                                *Uses River Song Voice*

"Spoilers"

It doesn't hurt that she knows more about the Doctor's (and Amy & Rory's) future than they do.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X