A Good Man Goes To War (3207)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    No, because Amy restored all that. Remember at her wedding in The Big Bang, the whole 'Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue' thing that restored the Doctor and the TARDIS to the universe? It also restored every action, every memory, everything he did across the entire space-time continuum. That's why the Doctor said memories were so powerful, and Amy was more powerful still because she had lived most of her life in very close proximity to one of the cracks.
    If this is true then all those aliens must know the Pandorica plan had failed... The baby was the backup plan.... Maybe Kovarian and the Silents were in on the whole thing with the Pandorica but when that failed they moved to plan B.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Hold on a moment, how was Rory disgraced?

Comment

11th Hour he was basically just knocked around by his boss and looked down on. Even the Doctor (through the Dream Lord) thought he was just petty and boring, bland. I'd call that fairly humiliating, frankly.

He went from mostly an embarrassment to someone that the is known through the galaxy.

Comment

He's on a mission to to save a person that's intended as a weapon against him.
          The thing is that they've already failed to rescue River from when she was infant to young child. She ended up in that Space Suit Life Support thing being held by the Silents.
          " Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. "
          - Douglas Noel Adams ( 1952 - 2001 ), So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

Comment

Yeah, but was it really her in that space suit who killed the Doctor?

So far to count:

Death: Library planet.
            Adult River I from Angels
            Adult River II Newly imprisoned after London 1888 ??
            Child in Space Suit River.
            Baby River.
            Adult River in Space Suit killing the Doctor ???
            Maybe Teen River in space suit killing the Doctor which could be the event that forced River to force her way out of the Space suit?

Each of these are different periods of time in River's life. The ones with a question mark means that I'm still uncertain if that was actually River in that suit at that time or somebody else, or uncertain that if she was newly imprisoned in that cell.

And I also wonder if that spoiler book has the spoiler to Rivers' death in it too.

I hope the next episode shows more Amy/Rory reaction to her revelation.

Also, in her first Appearance in the Library she and a team were also in space suits. So I wonder if there weren't any more of these kinds of children being made. I think the program might be to breed these children while being exposed to the Arkon energy to manipulate their DNA to use those suits and seal them in forever in order to control them.

I hope Moffat reveals who these people are, why they're so afraid of the Doctor, and why the hound him for two hundred years trying to make his life miserable as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
              But tell me why have you found it stupid?
              Its just kind of the TONE of everything.

Maybe its just all the continuity and back story lines that keep getting regurgetated.

For an old school WHO fan its kinda hard to swallow sometimes.

And the more they try to get all twisty with the plot,like with River,and the Baby,the easier it seems to be to just figure it all out.

As for some of the stupid things about the episode.
              I hate the Spitfighters in Space from the Dalek Victory episode(which I found quite full of stupid)
              The Headless Monks? Really? Could that been any more Star Wars rip off?
              And introducing characters like the Sontaran Nurse. The Big Blue Bartender,and The Silurian Ninja and her girlfriend outof the ether with no explanation of who they are for no more reason then just seeming to try and be cool.
              I mean its like Who are these people and Why should I care?
              And I am getting tired of all the Religious nonsence too.
              Especially the Doctor's Superman/Chirst complex.
              *although its not as bad now as it was with Tennent*
              That and the Doctor becoming the Big Bad Boogeyman of Space.

Its just a whole bunch of little things.

That or I am just to old for the show anymore.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post

Its just kind of the TONE of everything.

Maybe its just all the continuity and back story lines that keep getting regurgetated.

For an old school WHO fan its kinda hard to swallow sometimes.

And the more they try to get all twisty with the plot,like with River,and the Baby,the easier it seems to be to just figure it all out.

As for some of the stupid things about the episode.
                I hate the Spitfighters in Space from the Dalek Victory episode(which I found quite full of stupid)
                The Headless Monks? Really? Could that been any more Star Wars rip off?
                And introducing characters like the Sontaran Nurse. The Big Blue Bartender,and The Silurian Ninja and her girlfriend outof the ether with no explanation of who they are for no more reason then just seeming to try and be cool.
                I mean its like Who are these people and Why should I care?
                And I am getting tired of all the Religious nonsence too.
                Especially the Doctor's Superman/Chirst complex.
                *although its not as bad now as it was with Tennent*
                That and the Doctor becoming the Big Bad Boogeyman of Space.

Its just a whole bunch of little things.

That or I am just to old for the show anymore.
                I can understand and sort of agree with a lot of those points (though I think brown cloaks, warrior monks and energised swords individually pre-date Star Wars ), but I think the point of the episode was largely spectacle, mixed with the question 'what happens when you really, really push the Doctor?'.

As far as the last problem goes (big bad boogeyman)
                Spoiler:
                I believe Moffat has stated or hinted that the Doctor's rising celebrity and mythical status is going to be completely undone, so this episode was set up to clearly show how out of hand it's got, hence River's speech to him near the end. Additionally, her quote to Rory about the Doctor rising higher than ever before falling so much further probably comes into play here. This episode was the rise, so the fall is probably yet to come, and its not unreasonable to assume that is when the Doctor's status as a legend gets wiped out.
                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                sigpic
                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I was floored, I've been a Dr Who fan for over 30 years, I've got a box of VHS tapes with all the episodes of the first 5 Doctors, they used to air on KTEH in San Jose.
                  I lost interest with 6th and 7th Doctors then got back into it short before Tennant.
                  I thought Rory was a rather weak character at first but he came into his own when he guarded Amy in the Pandorica for 2000 years, now he more then holds his own with Amy and the Doctor.
                  I fine River Song an awesome character and to learn she's Amy and Rory's daughter is like WTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                    As far as the last problem goes (big bad boogeyman)
                    Spoiler:
                    I believe Moffat has stated or hinted that the Doctor's rising celebrity and mythical status is going to be completely undone, so this episode was set up to clearly show how out of hand it's got, hence River's speech to him near the end. Additionally, her quote to Rory about the Doctor rising higher than ever before falling so much further probably comes into play here. This episode was the rise, so the fall is probably yet to come, and its not unreasonable to assume that is when the Doctor's status as a legend gets wiped out.
                    Worst example of the DBBBM for me was in the Tennent/Human Nature episode.
                    The ending where he dealt with the Family just seemed so out of character for the Doctor.
                    Even when he is "pushed" to far.

And yes your right. Laser Swards were quite common before star wars.
                    Shakessphere was one that really almost over did the medium.
                    I like Sharky
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                      And yes your right. Laser Swards were quite common before star wars.
                      Shakessphere was one that really almost over did the medium.
                      Ah yes, the infamous "Is this a monomolecular plasma blade I see before me?" line from MacBeth: The Next Generation...
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

You know...

River seems to have a more in tune sense of how time operated than the Doctor.

She seems to be aware of the full time line.

Except possibly her own death.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                          You know...

River seems to have a more in tune sense of how time operated than the Doctor.

She seems to be aware of the full time line.

Except possibly her own death.
                          I think it just depends on which point in time the Doctor meets her and that there's some things River knows that the Doctor can't know yet because if he knows certain things in advance then there's a danger of the Doctor accidentally changing the course of events.

And staying with River for a moment...I look forward to a future story which sees the Doctor giving River his Sonic Screwdriver and also inheriting Captain Jack Harkness' Sonic Blaster. Once we see her with those then we know she's fully kitted up and getting ever closer to the Doctor's first meeting with her (from his POV) and her death at the Library in Silence in the Library.

I love this time travel stuff. The storyline between the Doctor and River is incredibly fascinating and intriguing to me and now that Mr. Moffat has thrown Amy and Rory in to the relationship too...wow. He's turned things up to 11...again!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

it was no something i expected river being rory and amys daughter and was a shock. i wander how she ends up with the doctor when shes the little girl that kills him. it was a ok episode but this doctor still hasn't grown on me and i don't know if he will.
                            sigpic

Comment

I thought the episode was great, but I need to watch it at least one more time to pick it all up.

What I found strange was at the end. The Doctor now knows who River is, he knows she is Amy and Rory's daughter, he knows that they become "intimate", he knows she will become a murderer, he knows how she "dies".

Wouldn't this change his perception of her and his feelings towards her? At some point wouldn't he question his involvement with her? Are the feelings he has towards her genuine or is he just going through the motions based on what he already knows?

Comment

Not necessarily. Love is a blinding thing, and sometimes people in love will go to great lengths to forgive the person they're in love in.

Hence why criminal rapists in prison still get married to someone who loves them.

And also, we still don't know the full extent of the circumstances that are around the person River kills. She might have killed somebody in order to save millions of people or to save the entire universe, for example.

Which might explain the weird privileges she gets in that really bad security prison she's in.

Comment

Working...
                                X