No announcement yet.

The Doctor's Wife (3204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking about the nature of House...and my mind kept going back to the same thing over and over...something that appears as green gas until it takes a form...feeds off Time Lords/Time Lord technology AND...refers to it's lackeys by family titles ...I'm wondering if it's related at all to the Family of Blood
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Well I've only one thing to say, the TARDIS is indeed sexy

(Don't tell the wife I said that!)

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
        I've been thinking about the nature of House...and my mind kept going back to the same thing over and over...something that appears as green gas until it takes a form...feeds off Time Lords/Time Lord technology AND...refers to it's lackeys by family titles ...I'm wondering if it's related at all to the Family of Blood
        I doubt it. Similar effects are used, sure - but this creature managed to overpower and suck out the life force of a TARDIS within ten minutes of it landing (as well as take down hundreds of Time Lords). The Family of Blood were almost toyed with by a merciful Doctor because he knew that they were close to the end of their lives, whereas he geuinely didn't know what to do once the TARDIS was taken from him. Also the Family of Blood wanted to obsorb the 'life of a Time Lord', and House just wanted to use the TARDIS to get into the main universe (and then probably eat it as he had done the others).

My first theory on House was that it was a creature banished to that planet by the Time Lords a long time ago (similar to the devil creature in the Satan Pit), so long ago in fact that all records were wiped clean. Either that or it simply was not made public knowledge - Since the distress calls to the Council didn't seem to know what it was or where they were. Niether did the Doctor.

It could just be that the creature learned to possess Time Lord tech because simply so many had landed there (I expect many in an attempt to escape the fires of the Time War). That would explain how it managed to program the 'mail' device to track down another Time Lord. Also House himself didn't mention the Time War, so either the Time Lords who came to the junkyard asteroid either never mentioned it or he simply never listened to them or found it particularly important to him. He is proved if nothing but a self-serving creature after all, who likes to be entertained by those he considers his lessers (or Amy and Rory in this ep).

I'm curious to see the kids' reactions to this episode. It was so dark (particularly in the TARDIS hallway scenes, where Rory ages and then Amy finds a vandalised corridor with his skeleton in - as well as all of the graffiti about killing her). This was more an ep for the grown ups.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I have a feeling that I highly dislike the implication that River=Amy at the end of this episode, or river being Amy's child.

Seriously.

"The only water in the Forest is River"? Oh come on. Don't be so blatantly predictable.

This connects both back to the Forest of the Dead from David Tennant and the Angels. I really just hope to God this is a red herring.

By the way, was anyone else highjly amused by the fact that "The Doctor's" enemy was called "House"?
          Last edited by jameshawking; 14 May 2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

A brilliant episode! I loved the interation between the Doctor and the TARDIS as well as that comment about the bunkbeds. Poor Rory and Amy! This was one of my favourite episodes of all time. It was great to see the old Tardis control room. After watching the Confidential and see clips of Nine and Ten, it makes me want to watch them again now!

Comment

Fantastic episode

I loved the bit with House, Rory & Amy....... He made Rory 4000 years old and his been waiting for Amy most of that time thats gotta piss any one off

Loved seeing the old Tardis interrior!
              Last edited by mr_kennedy; 14 May 2011, 11:18 PM.
              Last Movie Watched
              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
              Life is Strange

Comment

Fantastic episode, with my new favourite line of the series;

She the TARDIS. And she's a woman."
                "Did you wish really hard?"

Loved seeing the tardis and the exploration of the relationship between the doctor and the tardis. We all know the tardis is a living entity (its been stated a number of times) but it was great to actually see it. hope next weeks episode matches up

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  The point in Doctor Who is that the science is too advanced for us mere earthlings to understand.
                  i just get bord of it sometimes. It comes off more as the writers refusing to inject a bit of science into the show rather than it all to complicated for our little human brains. No matter how advance our technology evolve it seems.

For instant Tardus not allowing a personality or direct interactions for could have been explain pretty easily with it always turning against the occupants or simply bad things happen. An why not just have it a small bubble outside a big bubble, which actually would of made the dialog better in the show and is based on a real world theory. An I think it would have made the episode better.

I just getting bored of them not having a bit of science it would is suppose to be a science fiction show. An the writers always using the same techniques to avoid the science. It just makes the show a bit boring in places and repetitive.

By the way, was anyone else highjly amused by the fact that "The Doctor's" enemy was called "House"?
                  Not during the episode, but now I think about yes it highly amusing.
                  Last edited by knowles2; 15 May 2011, 03:34 AM.

Comment

i just get borded of it sometimes. It comes off more as the writers refusing to inject a bit of science into the show rather than it all to complicated for our little human brains. No matter how advance our technology evolve it seems.
                    Kid's show. For children with a few bonus jokes for adults.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                      FAMILY show. For children and adults alike with jokes for adults and kids alike.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                        I think you are underestimating children intelligence if you think they could not understand those two concepts.

Tardis allow to speak because it goes wrong every time the time lords did it.
                        An we live in a big bubble and now we are in a small bubble nextdoor to the big bubble.

The writers do not exclude these points not because they kids cannot handle it, if they thought that they were that dumb they would not have written the two episodes of this series how they did, which were way more complicated than the two concepts above. Actually they did include the two above point but they clouded it by adding a load of unnecessary dialogue to avoid the science or ground ideas.

The reason the writers added stuff in to cloud those to stories is simply because Moffat does not do science in his shows and not because it to complicated for our poor little children heads.

An you do not do scene like we saw with Amy and Rory in the Tardis corridors if you are aiming the show at kids.

Comment

Well as someone who actually has a kid, the scene in the corridor with Amy & Rory didn't bother her one little bit. My daughter is much more afraid of more tangible monsters - monsters that might be under her bed & grab her foot before she leaps into bed at night.

I agree with Mattsilver. Too much science would make her switch off completely. She watches for scares and laughs. She doesn't like emotional stuff (yuk, boys!! ) or scientific jargon (too much like school )

Comment

The asteroid resembled a Borg Sphere.....

I wonder if I.D.R.I.S will end up standing for something?

Comment

Deinatly, DEFINTLY a corker of an episode!

Loved the references to old Who, and absolutely loved Sexy Its nice to hear the TARDIS giving the Doctor some banter

House messing with Amy's head was defiantly dark and creepy. To quote a poster on another site:
                              He died in Amy's choice, the Hungry Earth two-parter, almost died in the big-bang (Well, it was implied that he melted during the London blitz) ,and was "shot" by Canton after being... I dunno, electrocuted/popped by the Silent in DOTM/Impossible astronaut, then drowned in Curse of the black spot... C'mon, man. You're going to be sharing drinks with Daniel Jackson in the sci-fi afterlife if this keeps up!
                              Poor rory

The acting in this was truly something. Two scenes that stood out for me was the Doctor and Idris/Sexy as they looked over the Tardis Graveyard and Idris mourns the death of her sisters while the Doctor sees an opertunity to escape. The second was when Sexy and the Doctor finally said 'hello'. very moving.

Also, typical of the Doctor Giving companions bunkbeds Bunkbeds are cool.
                              If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                                I agree with Mattsilver. Too much science would make her switch off completely. She watches for scares and laughs. She doesn't like emotional stuff (yuk, boys!! ) or scientific jargon (too much like school )
                                Agreed. Shows like Voyager proved if anything that scifi jargon is not needed in scifi. It clogs up dialogue imo. Characters are saying trash when they ought to be explaining to the audience what is going on. Doctor Who gets around that by making the science far too advanced for humans and by making the only available scientist a mad Doctor who never plays by the rules set to him. It's one of the countless reason I adore this show - Even the little things make me happy.
                                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                                X