The Impossible Astronaut (3201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
    Loved it, but did see Amy's pregnancy a mile off.

"You've put on weight but I wasn't going to say anything."

And then her frantic need to get to the toilet.
    Really? I felt like the episode purposefully linked Amy's sickness to the aliens rewriting her memory, not to a possible pregnancy. I got this impression because the first time that River sees the aliens down in the tunnel, she comes back up and feels like she is sick, just like Amy did after she say the aliens.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I see now that a couple of people have already made this point.

Loved River's little tragic speech about her future. It could have been cheesy since it verged on being overwritten, but it turned out really well.

I have the same question as a previous poster: how do we know that these are the Silence? Gosh, I feel like I have to rewatch a few episodes from series 5.

Matt Smith's mannerisms just kill me. Like, in the diner when Amy was walking in circles around him and he was effortlessly gliding in a circle to follow her. SO TALENTED.

Anyway, bloody amazing episode.
    Last edited by sparklegem; 23 April 2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

^ me too.

I had to LOL at the Men in Black look for The Silence.

Also wonder if the "Silence will Fall" that we've been hearing for what seems like forever, actually means "The Silence will Fall from power or grace" etc. etc. and not what we all assumed it meant.

Comment

Here's who I think the Astronaut is...

Spoiler:
        River Song.

Why?

Because if you watch the scene where she empties her gun firing at the astronaut, she mumbles "no...of course not".

She knows she couldn't hit the target, because she's already survived it!

Comment

Also, my theory behind the future Doctor's death...

Spoiler:
          It HAD to happen and he knew it.

He's willingly gone to his death because he knows it's vitally important to the timelines of those closest to him - Amy, Rory and River.

If he changes established events by saving himself, he's forfitting River's past and Amy & Rory's future.

This has NOTHING to do with the Silence or the Tardis from "The Lodger".

It may've taken him two hundred years to work up the courage to intentionally get himself killed, but he's done it with the best of intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Clem View Post
            Here's who I think the Astronaut is...

Spoiler:
            River Song.

Why?

Because if you watch the scene where she empties her gun firing at the astronaut, she mumbles "no...of course not".

She knows she couldn't hit the target, because she's already survived it!
            Spoiler:
            I thought she may be the Astronaut, especially with her talk of having killed someone very important as the crime she committed. Killing the Doctor in such a fashion would explain a lot. The only problem I have with this, it would mean she's spent most of her life in prison for unknown years until at least 5145 (when the Pandorica was opened, so chances are she'd have to be teleported through time or be immortal) for a crime committed during 2011. In the early trailers, she did apologise that he'd learn who she is. Perhaps she is the one who ultimately kills him and he will find out.

Weird poetic irony, he's always known how she'd die, and she's always known how he'd die (but of course, he'll have to survive).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Clem View Post
              Also, my theory behind the future Doctor's death...

Spoiler:

It may've taken him two hundred years to work up the courage to intentionally get himself killed, but he's done it with the best of intentions.
              I think you've put this very well. As he put it, he was running more than he had before--200 years of running from death before he had to face it.

Comment

Awesome episode, can't wait for next week!

Those aliens reminded me of the movie "Dark City" was what I think it was called, those suits made The Silence even creepier, awesome!
                sigpic

Comment

anyone else remember the vastha nervada and how they used the space suits, thats honestly what i thought when she said the space man is gonna eat me?
                  time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
                  sigpic

Comment

I just finished watching it. I was transfixed by virtually every minute of the episode. Absolutely brilliant!

I knew Mark Sheppard was signed on for this season but having him appear in the very first episode (looks like a recurring character at that) was great. A very nice touch was having W. Morgan Sheppard, Mark's dad, play the older Canton Delaware. Having Mark also narrate the series 5 recaps and the commercial interludes brought good vocal gravity for introducing us to series 6.

The soundtrack was already a strong presence to my ears in listening to this episode. Murray Gold's series 5 soundtrack wonderfully burned certain themes into my ears and I loved hearing them recapped and transformed for the premiere.

I have loads of theories about what's coming but I'm letting "The Impossible Astronaut" soak in for a while before I start posting them.

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                    Awesome episode, can't wait for next week!

Those aliens reminded me of the movie "Dark City" was what I think it was called, those suits made The Silence even creepier, awesome!
                    I thought "The Eleventh Hour" was a strong debut for Matt Smith and had me pleasantly surprised at what to expect for the new Doctor. "The Impossible Astronaut" was that performance boosted substantially.
                    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 23 April 2011, 08:47 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow, wow, wow. First Fringe was awesome last night, now this, and Treme returns tomorrow. What a fantastic weekend for TV

One of the biggest highlights for me was the Doctor introducing Amy, Rory, and River in the Oval Office: "The legs, the nose, and Mrs. Robinson." River: "Oh I hate you"
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What Spim, Fuzz and Digi said. Mind-readers, the lot of them.

One of the biggest highlights for me was the Doctor introducing Amy, Rory, and River in the Oval Office: "The legs, the nose, and Mrs. Robinson." River: "Oh I hate you"
                        That. Was so lulzy. In fact, I never really liked the flirty stuff between River and The Doctor so much before now. Helps that Amy's married, I suppose.

The soundtrack was already a strong presence to my ears in listening to this episode. Murray Gold's series 5 soundtrack wonderfully burned certain themes into my ears and I loved hearing them recapped and transformed for the premiere.
                        That little riff will never get old, and I loved the little modifications.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                          I just finished watching it. I was transfixed by virtually every minute of the episode. Absolutely brilliant!

A very nice touch was having W. Morgan Sheppard, Mark's dad, play the older Canton Delaware.

I thought "The Eleventh Hour" was a strong debut for Matt Smith and had me pleasantly surprised at what to expect for the new Doctor. "The Impossible Astronaut" was that performance boosted substantially.
                          - I'm with you there, definitely.

- Yeah, that didn't register with me until after finishing it, but that is indeed a nice touch.

- Matt Smith for me has been consistently brilliant as the Doctor, with this episode being no exception... but why oh why did the hair styling people have to condition his hair? I'm nitpicking, but I have to if I'm going to find fault in this episode.
                          sigpic
                          Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            I thought she may be the Astronaut, especially with her talk of having killed someone very important as the crime she committed. Killing the Doctor in such a fashion would explain a lot. The only problem I have with this, it would mean she's spent most of her life in prison for unknown years until at least 5145 (when the Pandorica was opened, so chances are she'd have to be teleported through time or be immortal) for a crime committed during 2011. In the early trailers, she did apologise that he'd learn who she is. Perhaps she is the one who ultimately kills him and he will find out.

Weird poetic irony, he's always known how she'd die, and she's always known how he'd die (but of course, he'll have to survive).
                            Spoiler:
                            Looks like you have one of the same theories I do about River. I remember she told the Doctor that she killed "a good man." One of the episode titles for series 6 is "A Good Man Goes to War." I don't think that's a coincidence and I'm certain that "good man" refers to the Doctor.
                            Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 23 April 2011, 10:10 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I just want to know how he undoes his death.
                              thelastgreatprophecy.com

Comment

Ok - seriously guys, this has been asked twice in this thread and no one has picked up on it.

Where on Earth has it actually been stated that these MIB creatures are 'The Silence' or is this all just fanon!?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X