Cold Blood (3109/509)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    Also, it's implied, if not outright stated somewhere, that TARDISes take millennia or certainly centuries to grow. Since the Duplicate Doctor has only a human lifespan, that may not be of much use (though in the deleted scene from Journey's End, Donna did explain how to accelerate it's growth, but this isn't really considered canon since it was, well, deleted).
    Indeed. Only a person with a Time Lord's life span or have immortality like Captain Jack Harkness could hope to see the end of a fully grown and operational TARDIS.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Well in the old series of Who it was implied that the TARDIS was built......
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

...when? Admittedly, I'm only up as far as series 9, but so far I've only seen the odd hint that the TARDIS is alive (particularly when it was hinted at in a First Doctor episode that it was sentient).
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          ...when? Admittedly, I'm only up as far as series 9, but so far I've only seen the odd hint that the TARDIS is alive (particularly when it was hinted at in a First Doctor episode that it was sentient).
          That means nothing.... In Who machines can have sentience.... Tom Baker's doctor made references to the TARDIS as having a mild telepathic field in the episode "image of the Fendahl" when the ship is unstable Leela starts praying to the console and the Doctor mentions the telepathic field and that her primitive thoughts have a calming effect on her...

Also in "Invasion of time" we learn that the Doctor's TARDIS is an old type 40 and obsolete. You also see one or two there in the background and in their natural form are bare metal cabinets.....

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            That means nothing.... In Who machines can have sentience.... Tom Baker's doctor made references to the TARDIS as having a mild telepathic field in the episode "image of the Fendahl" when the ship is unstable Leela starts praying to the console and the Doctor mentions the telepathic field and that her primitive thoughts have a calming effect on her...

Also in "Invasion of time" we learn that the Doctor's TARDIS is an old type 40 and obsolete. You also see one or two there in the background and in their natural form are bare metal cabinets.....
            The TARDIS is a machine. The heart of the TARDIS isn't.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

i agree
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                The TARDIS is a machine. The heart of the TARDIS isn't.

That's just all the stuff New Who has written Old Who preceeds all that and is canon

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                  That's just all the stuff New Who has written Old Who preceeds all that and is canon
                  Surely that's just personal preference? I mean, I watched a fair amount of old Who (mostly fifth and seventh Doctors, but with a few of each of the others), and I've watched all of new Who. While there is clearly some disagreement, I find the two series knit together nicely and probably should be considered as the same entity. I honestly don't think you can say one is more canon than the other, and besides, Who has had more than a few discontinuities and retcons in the old series alone.

Frankly, I love the idea that a TARDIS isn't just another spaceship, but a living, self-aware, ancient and intelligent being in its own right. But then that's me.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Surely that's just personal preference? I mean, I watched a fair amount of old Who (mostly fifth and seventh Doctors, but with a few of each of the others), and I've watched all of new Who. While there is clearly some disagreement, I find the two series knit together nicely and probably should be considered as the same entity. I honestly don't think you can say one is more canon than the other, and besides, Who has had more than a few discontinuities and retcons in the old series alone.

Frankly, I love the idea that a TARDIS isn't just another spaceship, but a living, self-aware, ancient and intelligent being in its own right. But then that's me.

I totally agree with your last sentence........ Just not on the living being part. The TARDIS is a living machine. Not a being but a machine with sentience much of which that has never ever been explored in Who.

Comment

OK, this episode just aired here in the US. Well... an hour ago.

Gaaaah... THAT WAS HEARTBREAKING. AND NO FAIR. AT ALL. I have no idea what everyone else's reactions to this season have been, because I haven't been discussing it online at all. But I for one loved Rory from the very first episode he was in. And he just got better... and by this episode, he was one of my favorite Who companions of all time! Which isn't saying too much because I've only really seen the new series.... but still!! I <3 Rory! And not only did they kill him, but they erased him from history!! When Amy went, "So, what were we talking about?" I nearly broke down right there. Which is saying something because I don't cry very easily for TV. But when he died, I nearly choked up. Then when she forgot him... I teared up. I would've cried too, if we didn't have someone over... OK, so I'm kinda prideful. BUT... iz no fair.

The thing is, I knew it was gonna happen. I accidentally read a spoiler. And yet... it wasn't too bad. Sometimes spoilers... you know... spoil it. But this was so heartbreaking that it didn't matter that I knew it was coming. I still wish I hadn't known, but... oh well. Anyway. I have a feeling that the ring being there will be significant. I'm not sure how yet, but...

Yeah. So. I'll probably go back to not posting on this board until something huge happens again. Farewell!
                      Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
                        OK, this episode just aired here in the US. Well... an hour ago.

Gaaaah... THAT WAS HEARTBREAKING. AND NO FAIR. AT ALL. I have no idea what everyone else's reactions to this season have been, because I haven't been discussing it online at all. But I for one loved Rory from the very first episode he was in. And he just got better... and by this episode, he was one of my favorite Who companions of all time! Which isn't saying too much because I've only really seen the new series.... but still!! I <3 Rory! And not only did they kill him, but they erased him from history!! When Amy went, "So, what were we talking about?" I nearly broke down right there. Which is saying something because I don't cry very easily for TV. But when he died, I nearly choked up. Then when she forgot him... I teared up. I would've cried too, if we didn't have someone over... OK, so I'm kinda prideful. BUT... iz no fair.

The thing is, I knew it was gonna happen. I accidentally read a spoiler. And yet... it wasn't too bad. Sometimes spoilers... you know... spoil it. But this was so heartbreaking that it didn't matter that I knew it was coming. I still wish I hadn't known, but... oh well. Anyway. I have a feeling that the ring being there will be significant. I'm not sure how yet, but...

Yeah. So. I'll probably go back to not posting on this board until something huge happens again. Farewell!
                        Not to worry Myn, it doesn't take long for something big to happen next.......I suspect you'll be back after you've seen Vincent and The Doctor.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Not to worry Myn, it doesn't take long for something big to happen next.......I suspect you'll be back after you've seen Vincent and The Doctor.
                          *headslaps P-90* SPOILERS!! ... OK, not really. Vincent...? The dog? From Lost? Heheh. That would be awesome, but would never happen. Sadly. *cough* Anyway. I look forward to this big thing.
                          Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

I'll say that my mind just stopped for a second when the piece of shrapnel looked to be part of the TARDIS. That beautiful blue box is the one true constant (IMHO) throughout the entire WHOniverse. Whatever happens...I'll just keep hopeful that the Doctor saves the day (he's been known to do that a time or two...)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                              Nooo Rory!!!
                              Oh my Goodness, how could they kill him??
                              I was starting to like him lol
                              I reckon he will be back though, because they made it significant that he put the ring in the Tardis
                              The cracks made another appearance, wonder how the piece of the Tardis ties in
                              I just watched the episode earlier today for the very first time. I don't think I've ever been so irritated with a secondary character that I liked getting killed off. I liked Rory from the beginning but for him to disappear from existence? Ugh.
                              Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 21 June 2010, 09:15 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Agreed, there is big stuff coming Myn!

Comment

Working...
                                X