No announcement yet.

The Hungry Earth (3108/508)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode received a standing ovation from me! haha. But I'm getting really annoyed with everyone blaming the doctor for everything.
    Spoiler:
    Keep an eye on your own son, lady. And Rory--you are trying to impress the doctor just as much as Amy.
    sigpic
    Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
    O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
    Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
    O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

I think the lizards are in trouble if they continue to insult the Doctor....very fun episode! But not as good as last week's IMO.

Comment

Gotta say, I do like the way Matt Smith played the Doctor in this episode (and every previous one). One moment in particular springs to mind, when Ambrose is stocking the van with weapons, and the Doctor's smiling at her saying "I'm asking nicely", but with a distinctly menacing undertone. Struck me as far more believably threatening than almost anything David Tennant did...
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
          Gotta say, I do like the way Matt Smith played the Doctor in this episode (and every previous one). One moment in particular springs to mind, when Ambrose is stocking the van with weapons, and the Doctor's smiling at her saying "I'm asking nicely", but with a distinctly menacing undertone. Struck me as far more believably threatening than almost anything David Tennant did...
          I agree. Also when he's interrogating the silurian he does something very similar. where he speaks very calmly and curteously but there's an underlying tone where he's definately warning her not to mess with him.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Call me pedantic, but you know when a minor detail is muddled up and it distracts you from the rest of the show? The Doctor was mocking Alaya during the interrogation scene, saying it was her tribe against six billion humans. For starters, the Earth's population hasn't been six billion for eleven years. Secondly, this episode is set in 2020, by which time the estimated population is set to be somewhere around the figure of eight billion. Anachronisms are so easy to get in time travel series' but this one was a little sloppy.

Otherwise, I didn't really like this episode. Very domestic, and certainly not worthy of a two-parter. The plot also felt very contrived and stale. A friend also told me that Amy and Mo were supposed to be stripped down to their underwear for the dissection scene, but this was revoked due to the fear it wold come across as being too raunchy. Puh-lease!

Weakest episode this season.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
              Call me pedantic, but you know when a minor detail is muddled up and it distracts you from the rest of the show? The Doctor was mocking Alaya during the interrogation scene, saying it was her tribe against six billion humans. For starters, the Earth's population hasn't been six billion for eleven years. Secondly, this episode is set in 2020, by which time the estimated population is set to be somewhere around the figure of eight billion. Anachronisms are so easy to get in time travel series' but this one was a little sloppy.

Otherwise, I didn't really like this episode. Very domestic, and certainly not worthy of a two-parter. The plot also felt very contrived and stale. A friend also told me that Amy and Mo were supposed to be stripped down to their underwear for the dissection scene, but this was revoked due to the fear it wold come across as being too raunchy. Puh-lease!

Weakest episode this season.
              Keeping in mind that it is a family show designed for half 6 to half 7 viewing............and Karen Gillan in just her underwear wouldn't help but seem quite raunchy.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                Keeping in mind that it is a family show designed for half 6 to half 7 viewing
                Well I think they market it as a family show, but just look at some of the content in the episodes this season... murder, suicide, lust, torture, death, death, death. These are adult themes. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, because in fact it demonstrates great maturity of story and character. I just find it boggling to consider that we have no problem with the above themes and more, but when it comes to a bit of flesh, or sexual suggestions everyone turns in to a prude.

Maybe I just miss Torchwood.
                sigpic

Comment

Well I think they market it as a family show, but just look at some of the content in the episodes this season... murder, suicide, lust, torture, death, death, death. These are adult themes. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, because in fact it demonstrates great maturity of story and character. I just find it boggling to consider that we have no problem with the above themes and more, but when it comes to a bit of flesh, or sexual suggestions everyone turns in to a prude.

Maybe I just miss Torchwood.
                  Ah but, the thing is that it is clear in Doctor who that it is a fight against Good and evil where the good guys fight for life and the bad guys try to kill them. It is dark but there's a moral to the story in each one and something about the doctor that the young viewer can take to be something to look up to.
                  I'm no prude and I am really quite liberal when it comes to sex but it seems to me that showing Karen Gillans half naked body just to show a little better continuity for a disection scene is a little too close to being sex appeal for sex appeals sake.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                    I'm no prude and I am really quite liberal when it comes to sex but it seems to me that showing Karen Gillans half naked body just to show a little better continuity for a disection scene is a little too close to being sex appeal for sex appeals sake.
                    Perhaps. But then the whole Doctor and his umpteenth young, virile sidechick companion smacks of commercial sex appeal doesn't it? The boys want to be the Doctor. The girls want to be the Doctor's companion. Sci-fi adventure meets short skirts and suggestive body language.

Is the second-part better than this one?
                    sigpic

Comment

Perhaps. But then the whole Doctor and his umpteenth young, virile sidechick companion smacks of commercial sex appeal doesn't it? The boys want to be the Doctor. The girls want to be the Doctor's companion. Sci-fi adventure meets short skirts and suggestive body language.
                      Except that is generally as far as it goes, barring the odd double-entendre or bit of innuendo - and those are generally calculated to go over the heads of the younger audience.

Is the second-part better than this one?
                      I'd say a definite yes, but as with everything else in life it depends on personal taste and preference.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

this was a good episode
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                          Except that is generally as far as it goes, barring the odd double-entendre or bit of innuendo - and those are generally calculated to go over the heads of the younger audience.

I'd say a definite yes, but as with everything else in life it depends on personal taste and preference.
                          Very true. I think the most obvious it ever got was in the classic series when we have the panning up shot of peri in the bikini.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            Very true. I think the most obvious it ever got was in the classic series when we have the panning up shot of peri in the bikini.
                            I think I have that on my YouTube favourites list...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                              Incidentally, that story is out on DVD here in the UK next Monday (14th June) packaged as part of the "Kamelion Tales" boxset! I look forward to owning it on Saturday (12th June)!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

again unimpressive.
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X