No announcement yet.

The Beast Below (3102/502)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the 'cracks in the universe' are to appear at the climax of every episode Mantrid-style, does that suggest that the Doctor himself could be behind them? And everywhere he goes the cracks form?
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Hmm, given time to think about it, the episode doesn't hold up as well as it did immediately after watching. I'm still annoyed we never got any explanation as to what the Smilers were, despite the fact that it was the first question that the Doctor asked. Also, I'm left wondering whether the situation has really changed for the people of Britain. Do they suddenly now get a proper democracy? Are political dissidents still fed to the Whale?

It's not all bad though, I still think overall it was a good episode. I'm loving 11's deductive abilities, first with the "why are you taking a photo of a man and dog" and with working out it's a police state. Maybe he'll meet Arthur Conan Doyle at some point.

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
      If the 'cracks in the universe' are to appear at the climax of every episode Mantrid-style, does that suggest that the Doctor himself could be behind them? And everywhere he goes the cracks form?
      Oooh, that would be good. And just the sort of sneaky plot twist I'd expect from Moffat. But then where did the one in Amy's room come from, it was there before the Doctor.

Comment

Dig the reference, I was thinking about rewatching the series
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
          Oooh, that would be good. And just the sort of sneaky plot twist I'd expect from Moffat. But then where did the one in Amy's room come from, it was there before the Doctor.
          He has 11 more episodes to go to a time before that episode. Maybe they revisit Leadworth in the past?
          Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Dig the reference, I was thinking about rewatching the series
          I has Season 2 on DVD
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

He has 11 more episodes to go to a time before that episode. Maybe they revisit Leadworth in the past?
            Or it could be a Bad Wolf situation. Something happens near the end of season, that causes cracks to appear where the Doctor was known to have been, like Rose using the vortex to put Bad Wolf where she had been in the past.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              Or it could be a Bad Wolf situation. Something happens near the end of season, that causes cracks to appear where the Doctor was known to have been, like Rose using the vortex to put Bad Wolf where she had been in the past.
              I can totally see that working

sigpic

Comment

Well, I've been totally won over by the new Doctor. I really just watched last week out of mild curiosity (and 'cause a friend is a fan, and I can talk to him about it) and *thought* I liked the new guy...

But I loved this episode. I like the interaction between the Doctor and Amy, and Smith's "serious but enthusiastic young uni lecturer" style, and the fact that Amy can think for herself (not in a 'you can't tell me what to do' sort of way, but 'I can reason on things and be actively useful'). I really hope that the cracks (in the fabric of space-time, perhaps?) aren't too directly related to Amy, I'd hate to end up with a situation like the one with Donna...

There was an erratic quality about Tennant that I never really warmed to - though I could understand how some folk found him charming - but Smith, so far, feels like a Doctor you could put your trust in. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this season now. New sci-fi to watch! Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post

I loved the part when Amy was talking about running away from something she is scared of and the Doctor's response to me was a reference to Ten's final days.
                  Oh I dunno, I saw it as a reference to the Doctor's original flight, as referenced in 'The Five Doctors' and 'The Sound of Drums'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Um, all I can really say is...Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Steven Moffat, I love you. Cannot wait for next week!

I loved the part when Amy was talking about running away from something she is scared of and the Doctor's response to me was a reference to Ten's final days.
                    I think the Doctor was talking about when he originally left Gallifrey with his granddaughter Susan, on the run from their own people, in a rackety old TARDIS. That's how it all started.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      Oh I dunno, I saw it as a reference to the Doctor's original flight, as referenced in 'The Five Doctors' and 'The Sound of Drums'.
                      Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      I think the Doctor was talking about when he originally left Gallifrey with his granddaughter Susan, on the run from their own people, in a rackety old TARDIS. That's how it all started.
                      Oh, . Perhaps. But I though of Ten when he responded to her question with a simple hello.

Comment

Oh, . Perhaps. But I though of Ten when he responded to her question with a simple hello.
                        I thought along similar lines actually when he responded with 'Hello'. That said to me 'Look, new regeneration, duh...' but of course Amy didn't get it.

sigpic

Comment

I thought along similar lines actually when he responded with 'Hello'. That said to me 'Look, new regeneration, duh...' but of course Amy didn't get it.
                          I see what your both saying...but the "Hello" was intended to say 'this is me and my life now after I ran away from my boring responsibilities on Gallifrey'.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

that's how i took it too.
                            "hello me (11th doctor)
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                              or even the giant thingy that was in the torchwood episide "meat"
                              I think that was a Star Whale actually.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                                "you look human"
                                "no, you look timelord".

I can't say the episode was as great as the first, but I enjoyed it. Liking Matt more and more, especially when he was fixing his bowtie and talking about how undignified "escaping" would be.

Looks like we can expect the cracks to be a running theme during the season until the finale. I just hope we don't see one at the end of every episode. Also, bit annoying Scotland got their own ship but Northern Ireland didn't. Also, Amy Pond slimmed up, sexy.
                                My thoughts on the episode exactly...
                                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Working...
                                X