The Eleventh Hour (3101/501)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Inyri View Post
    Perfect! Love Amy/Amelia and Matt Smith is brilliant!

"Who da man?" - I fell off the couch
    i have that as my ringtone i'm going to love steven moffat
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

All my doubts are gone. Fantastic episode!

I just loved Matt Smith as the Doctor. He doesn't seem to be as silly as David Tennant was towards the end. He kinda reminds me of Chris Eccleston in that he's a bit more silent and brooding while still having those slightly silly moments.

Amy Pond was great as well. She reminds me of Donna in that she doesn't let anyone boss her around. I found the scene where she watched the Doctor undress to be hilarious!

I'm not saying that they are just copies of previous Doctors and companions. I'm just saying that they have some traits incommon with some previous Doctors and companions.

Favorite line:
      Doctor (Re: new TARDIS): Oh, you sexy thing.
      sigpic

Comment

Did I spot Robert Carlyle in the montage as well as Alex Kingston, Bill Nighy, Meera Syal and James Corden

Comment

I don't know why, but I actually found the eleventh doc to be more reminiscent of the ninth incarnation than the tenth. I could completely imagine Chris Eccleston saying all of those lines in a similar fashion. Maybe I'm just being strange.
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

The Eleventh Hour
            Written by Steven Moffat

"Bread and Butter.... now you're talking."

I have never, ever, watched a Doctor Who episodes so many times in less than 24 hours as I have done with The Eleventh Hour. We've had cyberkings, metallic stingrays, infected water, deadly prophecies, the Master race, evil Time Lords and the end of time itself bundled together in consecutive episodes, so the start of this new series was refreshing in more ways than one.

An escaped alien prisoner and giant eyes on snowflake ships, okay not the strongest plot in the book, but made a damn sight better after the year long doom and gloom we have endured with the Tenth Doctor's final adventures.

Matt Smith made the part his own from the first time he spat beans into a sink, any lingering doubts were swiftly cast aside and I could enjoy the episode staright off the bat without worrying about the show's future. The Doctor's chemistry with new companion Amy Pond is simply stunning, injected quickly into the plot via the meeting with "young Amy" at the start- which helps their story along nicely. But Smith's place was set in stone on that rooftop in that scene.

Music from past series make a welcome reprise, but also new scores step up to the plate, previously heard in trailers leading up to the start of the new series. On the music front, we have a new arragement of the theme tune. Darker than the previous one, and with a drastically changed prologue. Some hate it, some love it and some, like me, have grown to like it much more after a few listens and the release of the full version on the Doctor Who website!

The new title sequence also fits Moffat's style of writing, and we finally have a point of reference for those bumpy rides through the vortex! Somehow I've always imagined lightning in a tunnel through time, must have seen it somewhere else!

Smith, Gillian, Moffat - welcome aboard, our show is in very capable hands!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1l44gQru1g

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
              I had to laugh so hard at the swimming pool thing and I also really, really want to see more of the TARDIS from the inside. I wouldn't mind an episode in which something enters the TARDIS that shouldn't be there and the doctor and Amelia have to hunt it down. That would be cool.
              That is a great idea huntress! Hopefully they'll do an episode with a few TARDIS rooms in it.
              sigpic
              Don't touch Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                I don't know why, but I actually found the eleventh doc to be more reminiscent of the ninth incarnation than the tenth. I could completely imagine Chris Eccleston saying all of those lines in a similar fashion. Maybe I'm just being strange.
                You are not strange at all. That is exactly what I thought! There were quite a few moments in which I had flashbacks to the doctor that Chris played and not DT!
                He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                  You are not strange at all. That is exactly what I thought! There were quite a few moments in which I had flashbacks to the doctor that Chris played and not DT!
                  (Whew) Good to hear I'm not alone. In the episode he did show traits from both the ninth and tenth incarnations, but more particularly the ninth. Especially the zoom in during his confrontation with the Atraxi where he goes 'Basically . . . Run'.
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Just watched it again on BBC3, fantastic episode. I just noticed something though, MYTH on the laptop. It may be nothing, but we never thought Archangel was anything when we saw it on Martha's phone.

sigpic

Comment

Well they have the Magpie logo all over the gadgets in the Tardis, including that monitor that the camera zoomed in on for a couple of seconds, which showed some strange readings (with slightly creepy sound effects) before the Doctor realised it was on, switched it off, tapped it in a 'stop it' manner and continued to try to woo Amy into joining him. Its definitely a foreshadow of something to come if you ask me. Something to do with the Tardis itself I think. Maybe that'll get explored in The Beast Below?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                        And I just have to try fish fingers and custard now...
                        Do not do this the last time i ate something the doctor suggested was nice i ended up with food poisoning.
                        I was 5... don't judge me.
                        Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Do not do this the last time i ate something the doctor suggested was nice i ended up with food poisoning.
                          I was 5... don't judge me.
                          To paraphrase Joey Tribbiani, what's not to like? Custard, goooood. Fish fingers, goooood.

Yeah, I don't think I'm actually going to try it. Unless I get very bored...which is actually very, very likely.

Still, it was a good scene. I notice, upon rewatching it, that we don't actually see Matt Smith eat the custardy fish finger (or at least not chewing it), which probably says a lot.
                          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                            (Whew) Good to hear I'm not alone. In the episode he did show traits from both the ninth and tenth incarnations, but more particularly the ninth. Especially the zoom in during his confrontation with the Atraxi where he goes 'Basically . . . Run'.
                            yea, 11 has that tough side back. unpredictable
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                              To paraphrase Joey Tribbiani, what's not to like? Custard, goooood. Fish fingers, goooood.

Yeah, I don't think I'm actually going to try it. Unless I get very bored...which is actually very, very likely.

Still, it was a good scene. I notice, upon rewatching it, that we don't actually see Matt Smith eat the custardy fish finger (or at least not chewing it), which probably says a lot.
                              He wasn't eating fish fingers though, my guess it was some sort of cake like item. They were too big for good old Captain Birdseye fish fingers.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inyri View Post
                                Perfect! Love Amy/Amelia and Matt Smith is brilliant!

"Who da man?" - I fell off the couch
                                I'm ashamed to admit this, but I answered back at my tele with "You da man!"

I was ready to hate 11th, but he did okay and I suspect will grow into the role quite well. It will be nice seeing this Doctor tackle storylines that don't smack of RTD indulgence. I did think that Amelia at the beginning actually carried the episode for MS, but he caught up soon enough.

Although I think it would be nice if Amy and the nurse were getting married, they will probably throw us a surprise or something with that. Either way, I don't mind.

This epi didn't seem as grandiose as DT's intro episode, but it was a good way to say hi to 11th. I liked the tie thing heh. And I esp. liked how he threatened the eyeball thing without being over-the-top angst-evil that 10th ended up doing.

Looking forward to next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X