The Eleventh Hour (3101/501)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anachronism View Post
    Watched it on the "OnDemand" section of cable, which is a re-airing of BBC America's version, and the: "And stay out" was in it. It was also about an hour and 16 minutes long.
    But, reruns on the channel itself cut about 10 minutes, the original airing did show everything though.

Comment

I was totally enjoyed the new Doctor, and can't wait to see what he bring to the show!
      And Amy Pond what can I say about her, well, I thought she was awesome.
      sigpic There are my dogs!

If you had to chose, die or watch the world die, what would you pick?"

Comment

Originally posted by badwolfSG View Post
        I was totally enjoyed the new Doctor, and can't wait to see what he bring to the show!
        And Amy Pond what can I say about her, well, I thought she was awesome.
        After watching the Eleventh Hour again earlier tonight, I'm now quite sure that I'll be watching DW as much for Amy (perhaps more so ) as the Doctor.
        sigpic

Comment

Canada's Space set aside an hour and 30 minute timeslot so I'm guessing I got to see it all without edits? I'm hoping. They do air Torchwood without edits and the DW specials weren't cut either. Guess I'll find out for the second episode by how long it is if I'll be getting unedited episodes.

I thought it was brilliant! I grew up on DW so am used to the Doctor changing and the Tardis and the intro music . I did think the intro music reminded me more of old DW. Loving the inside of the Tardis. I think Matt Smith is great and liking Amy so far! loved the long preview for the whole season at the end. Interesting eyeball in crystal shard aliens! HA, new sonic screwdriver. So now my son is going to ask for ANOTHER sonic screw driver just because this one is different. He hasn't seen this episode yet so maybe I can distract him at the scene of the new sonic screw driver?
          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
            After watching the Eleventh Hour again earlier tonight, I'm now quite sure that I'll be watching DW as much for Amy (perhaps more so ) as the Doctor.
            Oh, yes, Amy puts the Doctor in his place doesn't she. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by badwolfSG View Post
              Oh, yes, Amy puts the Doctor in his place doesn't she. lol.
              She hit him with a cricket bat. I don't know of another companion who would hit the Doc with a cricket bat, except perhaps Donna. I also loved that moment when she locked the Doc's tie in the old man's car door and then abruptly told the old man to get a cup of coffee. I love her immensely already.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                She hit him with a cricket bat. I don't know of another companion who would hit the Doc with a cricket bat, except perhaps Donna. I also loved that moment when she locked the Doc's tie in the old man's car door and then abruptly told the old man to get a cup of coffee. I love her immensely already.
                Yeah so do I

Comment

I saw this ep on the previous Sunday. Out of the Doctor's we've had for this new series, this was clearly the best Doctor debut. This is the introduction to the Doctor we should have had back in 2005. Why did I love it so much? Well, for me, this Doctor is more down to Earth (excuse the pun) than that of Tennant's interpretation of the role. I always felt that Tennant's use of humour (such as rambling, random shouting and spontaneous quirks) in some ways forced the audience to appreciate him. Whereas, with Smith's interpretation, there's certainly some anarchy there but there's also a great deal of subtlety to through his off the cuff remarks such as "Where's your boyfriend...the good looking one" while in the presence of Rory. In fact, out of any of the Doctor Who i've seen, including the classic era, this is by far the most laugh-out-loud moments i've experienced.

One of the highlights for me was early on in the episode when the Doctor is handcuffed to the radiator. In the RTD era, if any of his Doctors were in that position, it either would have been straight out with the sonic screwdriver or an obscured movement of the wrists covered up with a facetious one-liner to get move us on. Here, the Doctor needs his companion to undo the restraints or at least wait for the sonic screwdriver. These moments really added depth to the character and gave him a far less comic book character type feel. The Doctor here is facetious, arrogant but also contemplative. Where Tennant would merely ramble a solution, Smith reasons. Another noteworthy quality was the quality of performances, not only from the lead cast but also from the guest and supporting cast. The episode was extremely well shot and the CGI, explosions and overall spectacle was kept to a minimum. This is something I felt that the RTD era really lacked at times as, much like some of the performances, there was a very forceful means of maintaining the attention of the audience. Here, it really did come down to the dialogue and dramatic tension. That's not to say that there weren't moments like that in the RTD era or in any way to describe it as totally shallow (I loved his vision), but it would come and go. Instead, I get a feeling that Moffat will be more consistent with his approach to character and plot development.

Smith's Doctor truly brings out the alien in the title character where I felt it was absent in some of Tennant's tenure. That's not to discredit or express any dislike for Tennant. Waters of Mars is, after all, my favourite Doctor Who episode. However, I felt that even in his first episode, Tennant (at times) got to a point where he was effectively waving his arms about and throwing his voice to keep the audience interested. So far, I haven't detected this at all with Smith. Instead, he seems to invite the audience with a more slightly passive tone so when he is bombastic, it actually stands for something rather than something that can sometimes be gratutious. Furthermore, from this, i'm actually open to the idea of the Doctor having a closer relationship with his companion because...I actually feel the character deserves it more than any other Doctor because I feel this interpretation of the Doctor could truly unearth the human and alien differences between the two instead of having an alien that relates too seamlessly with the humans.

Interestingly, when I read initial reviews I was worried the tone of the show would play down to the younger audience too much. But, I was surprised and relieved to find that there is actually quite a gloomy atmosphere to the feel of the show. You can sense from the shady production and from Smith's performance that there are skeletons to be revealed in this series. I'm confident that the best is yet to come.

The TARDIS interior is also brilliant. Again, as with the overall episode, it's what we should have had back in 2005. Doctor Who is really back. This is the most excited I have ever been for a new Doctor. Smith could well end up being my Doctor, just when I thought nothing of the modern incarnation of the series could surpass Eccleston.

Until next week

Comment

Kinda ramdom but was it just me or did they change the sonic screwdriver light color? It was blue, right? And then at the end it was green. If so, awesome, new doctor, new sonic screwdriver color. If not, huh, pretend this never happened. LOL.

Comment

Apologies, as I am American and only recently got to watch The Eleventh Hour. I thought it was excellent. I think MS is going to be an amazing Doctor, and I like Amy Pond as his companion much more than I thought I would. Liked the green Sonic, the new intro, and the give-the-kids-nightmares Prisoner Zero. New Doctor, new companion, another typically brilliant Doctor Who episode. I can't wait for The Beast Below!
                      sigpic

Comment

i love when she does that lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

I just watched this episode. matt done a better job as the doctor then i thought.

Comment

i agree with u
                            sigpic

Comment

Recently watched this episode and I'm loving the new Doctor, and Amy Pond! So far so good. I also thought this was a cool episode and a really fun way to introduce the new Doctor.
                              sigpic

Comment

i love amy and the doctor in this ep
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X