No announcement yet.

Silence In the Library (3008/408)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having now seen Confidential, I'm wondering if the Little Girl and River are connected? It was the way she called the Doctor, Sweetie and then the Little Girl's father calling her Sweetie.

The Little Girl/Library Computer Core theory is plausible but IMO I think it's all got something to do with the Tardis

If the Little Girl is the library or the computer, is Dr Moon the Vashta Narada?

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post

The concept is a neat one. Shadows - urgh, I have one of them! I can't avoid it like I could the stone statues, or venetian masks or gas masks

ROFL.
      and I'm very intrigued by River Song. I suppose that's the idea. I wonder if she'll be a proper actual companion ever?
      I can't help wondering, did Moffat know that he would become show runner at this point? Has he even now begun setting up threads for his tenure?
      Originally posted by Matt G View Post
      Well this was a mind-bender.

1. Dr Moon is clearly the main bad guy here. He's somehow set up a psychic link beteen a 21st century kid and a 51st century planet-wide library and using it for hell knows what purpose and his ID is the biggest unanswered question at this point.
      Nah it seems to me that Dr Moon is the actual computer core's personality like Lirenal speculated. I am fairly certain that the people's "ghosts" have been stored inside a Matrix-esque virtual reality and the girl is in there.

Comment

... "I'm a time traveller, I point and laugh at archaeologists" ...
        Hehe - I told that line to my archeologist friend and big doctor fan who missed it today. She was NOT happy
        I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

RE the identity of River Song / Planet of the Ood

Spoiler:
          Firstly, I think it quite likely that the "song" that is going to end, referenced in Planet of the Ood is River Song. We know that Tennant is back for more, so it can't be his song or regeneration. And the idea of River Song being the song does sound perfect.

Secondly, with regards to her identity. Someone mentioned a human manifestation of the TARDIS. Firstly, we've heard of this before in who, so it's not an entirely new concept. Secondly, who else would the Doctor trust with his screwdriver? Thirdly, did you notice the book? The book even looked like the TARDIS. We're assuming it's the Doctor's book, but what if it's River's book and looks like the TARDIS because she is? And, of course, the TARDIS was present in Utopia.

The other theory that I've read and I really like is the idea that River Song is actually a villain who is manipulating the Doctor. She's keeping him away from the book so that the truth won't be revealed, and manipulates him with these "memories" which conveniantly happen in the future. She's actually using him to get to the core and to CAL, so that she can harness the library's power.

I think whatever the outcome, it's not going to be as clean cut as the trailers and the tabloid spoilers make out. I'll be incredibly disappointed if it is.
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

My thoughts, let me show you them:

1. KILLER SHADOWS!! W00T!! *pwns everyone*
            2. The people "saved" are almost certainly saved in the computer system, and I'm betting Donna isn't the only live face in there.
            3. Dr. Moon definitely had a Morpheus vibe to him and I think that's meant to emphasize the fact that the "reality" around her isn't the real one... although I bet all the people in her world are "saved" people. She herself may be a saved person with the computer mind projected into it. Sort of.
            4. Gotta say, it's kinda cool to meet a little girl who ISN'T a hideous monster. So far. I like her lots.
            5. River Song rocks the casbah. I just hope she lives or I will have to kill SM multiple times.
            6. Of course, even if she DOES die we'll still hopefully get to meet her again in the future.
            7. SPOILERS! LMAO!
            8. Proper Dave and Other Dave. LOL!
            9. I am deeply ashamed of myself because Obnoxious Twit kept reminding me of McKay. *sigh* I blame this on me not having seen SGA (and thus McKay) for a long while and also on me knowing DH is a Whovian.
            10. Loved the li'l shop. Loved Donna trying to stop and gawk.
            11. HOLY SCOOBY DOO FLASHBACKS, BATMAN!! Seriously. Kept weirding me out.
            12. River Song better not die. And I hope the Doctor resists the urge to peek at the spoilers. RESIST THEM, DOCTOR!
            13. Whoever she is, we'd better meet her again before DT leaves because she knows that face.
            14. The intervening week is going to suck bilge. WHY ISN'T IT SATURDAY ALREADY AGAIN?!

EDIT:

15. Also, I didn't get an evil vibe off Moon. I thought he was trying to help her. Toss her a breadcrumb sorta thing.

EDIT 2:

16. What are thoughts on River knowing about Donna? Just the generic sort of Doctor-talking-of-former-Companions stuff or something specific? I almost expected her to say something about Donna having something on her back.
            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 31 May 2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Awesome episode! Can't wait for next week! Did I see the Doctor going through
              Spoiler:
              the vortex with the sonic screwdriver
              in the preview? I hope we get a glimpse of what is inside that book that looks like the TARDIS as well.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                Awesome episode! Can't wait for next week! Did I see the Doctor going through
                Spoiler:
                the vortex with the sonic screwdriver
                in the preview? I hope we get a glimpse of what is inside that book that looks like the TARDIS as well.
                well

Spoiler:
                from what I've heard, Donna reads a book and finds out about her future children, she also reads something in a book about Rose returning...
                A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  4. Gotta say, it's kinda cool to meet a little girl who ISN'T a hideous monster. So far. I like her lots.
                  As soon as she appeared my siblings started screaming "She's evil!!" at the TV

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                    That was my first guess the moment I read that message and heard no survivors were found. And Donna was being transported, so she had been stored in the system so her molecules could be reassembled in the Tardis, but she got saved by the girl.
                    Yeah, that's what I figured too, they can all be taken out oftheir psots as the computer and become real people again.
                    Anyway - bah! I shoudl have waited ti next week. I wanna know how it ends. Another brilliant installment but Steven Moffat, as usual. Creepy and funny and silly and spoilers! ha!
                    As for River Song, I find it more likely to believe it's gonna end up in a paradox and she'll end up dead and that future - whatever it is - will never happen...
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                      RE the identity of River Song / Planet of the Ood

Spoiler:
                      Firstly, I think it quite likely that the "song" that is going to end, referenced in Planet of the Ood is River Song. We know that Tennant is back for more, so it can't be his song or regeneration. And the idea of River Song being the song does sound perfect.

Secondly, with regards to her identity. Someone mentioned a human manifestation of the TARDIS. Firstly, we've heard of this before in who, so it's not an entirely new concept. Secondly, who else would the Doctor trust with his screwdriver? Thirdly, did you notice the book? The book even looked like the TARDIS. We're assuming it's the Doctor's book, but what if it's River's book and looks like the TARDIS because she is? And, of course, the TARDIS was present in Utopia.

The other theory that I've read and I really like is the idea that River Song is actually a villain who is manipulating the Doctor. She's keeping him away from the book so that the truth won't be revealed, and manipulates him with these "memories" which conveniantly happen in the future. She's actually using him to get to the core and to CAL, so that she can harness the library's power.

I think whatever the outcome, it's not going to be as clean cut as the trailers and the tabloid spoilers make out. I'll be incredibly disappointed if it is.
                      Spoiler:
                      The Rani?

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                        As for River Song, I find it more likely to believe it's gonna end up in a paradox and she'll end up dead and that future - whatever it is - will never happen...
                        Ooh that could work but would be a rather cheap way of getting out of it. Mind you if she appears in the future she will be older, sorry to the actress but no make up artist is that good so either she is to replace Donna soonish or she magically turns up in the specials and/or the next series. Any later and she can't be realistically played by the same actress in my mind. Also she seemed to be saying one of The Doctor's regenerations is now going to be older? Or seem older?

I seriously doubt that will be the case so could she actually be a time traveller of some sort too? A time agent springs to mind. Say she has encountered The Doctor as played by Hartnell or Pertwee but in another time line, one that until now this Doctor hasn't experienced... you know how tricky time travel is

My completely out there suggestion for today is that The Doctor is the Face of Boa!!! Well we really don't know if it is meant to be Jack and for it to be The Doctor makes sense in a OMG NO! kind of way. We know he can be with himself without the world/s ending and The Face of Boa certainly would be old. Something to ponder anyway while drunk

I do however like the idea that she is an enemy come to mess with his mind. Maybe
                        Spoiler:
                        The Rani.
                        Although I would prefer someone new to us the audience, as we already have enough from the past coming to haunt him.

As for the ep? Well I do like to wait to see how things work out but I am really enjoying this one, best so far this series. I watched it twice, only ep so far (this series) I have watched twice.

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
                          the bit at the beginning about being terrible at not showing spoilers is that meant to be a joke about how there always seem to be leaks about doctor who in the media
                          Especially this episode which, I believe, is the one the Sun got hold of a leaked script for and threatened to run a story spoiling the entire plot?

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          8. Proper Dave and Other Dave. LOL!
                          Heh. I laughed my head off at this and had to phone my mum afterwards and say, "Look! Doctor Who lives in Dave World too!" (My mum and I live in Dave World, whereby nearly everyone we meet/know is called Dave - my hubby is Dave, her boyfriend is Dave, my ex is Dave, my neighbour is Dave, the landlord at her local pub is Dave etc etc etc etc etc!! So we have to give prefixes to our Daves to (e.g. the ex is Dim Dave! )
                          sigpic

Comment

Another theory as to who River Song is
                            Spoiler:
                            The hand that picked up the Master's ring in LotTL?

Comment

Alex Kingston! You gorgeous ginger you. I hope she has a big part to play in the future of the series.

I agree with you all. Also, The Library World visuals were beautiful, top notch. Catherine Tate did a superb job in this one too. I was a little let down by Murray Gold's score for this episode, I had hoped for a haunting "Doctor and River" melody or a spine-tingling "Count the Shadows" arrangement.

No doubt this will be one of many fantastic stories by Steven Moffet as he takes over as executive producer of Doctor Who next year.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                                Another theory as to who River Song is
                                Spoiler:
                                The hand that picked up the Master's ring in LotTL?
                                LOL, have you been reading the Doctor Who Forum as well?
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X