The Unicorn and the Wasp (3007/407)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GusF View Post
    I was a bit disappointed by this episode, I have to admit. It wasn't nearly as funny as I expected it to be despite a stellar cast and a promising premise.

In all honest, I got a little tired of being told Agatha Christie was a genius. I've read several of books and, while always entertaining, they are a bit lacking in the characterisation department, among others. Compared to her contemporaries as well as authors of previous generations, she's hardly the best.
    Did they say she was a genius? Or just brilliant? Either way I have to say her earlier books had some genuine "genius" ideas and twists to them. I don't think you should take the use of the word genius (if it was mentioned) so literally. Anyway these days even sports stars are called geniuses so I wouldn't let it bother you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
      Did they say she was a genius? Or just brilliant? Either way I have to say her earlier books had some genuine "genius" ideas and twists to them. I don't think you should take the use of the word genius (if it was mentioned) so literally. Anyway these days even sports stars are called geniuses so I wouldn't let it bother you so much.
      ... John Terry is pretty ace though, isn't he? How many players have a right foot like a sweaty octapuss?

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
        ... John Terry is pretty ace though, isn't he? How many players have a right foot like a sweaty octapuss?
        Um, I am Australian so if you are talking Soccer or something? No idea. Shane Warne gets called a genius. See that makes my point!

Comment

Calling David Beckham a genius gets my goat, the man can hardly string a sentance together

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
            Um, I am Australian so if you are talking Soccer or something? No idea. Shane Warne gets called a genius. See that makes my point!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yfg3YlYT8c

I'd say he is. When the pressure is on, you can really count on Warney to shine that ball pretty good...

Spoiler:
            I don't watch cricket (... or much football) but if there's one thing I learned from uni, it's that bowlers curve balls by shining one side of the ball causing the air flow on one side to remain laminar for longer.
            Using aerodynamics to bluff through sports talk. Ace!

Nothing remotely spoilerish in there btw.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
              Calling David Beckham a genius gets my goat, the man can hardly string a sentance together
              At least he's better than Rooney.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                At least he's better than Rooney.
                How?

Comment

Aren't we supposed to be talking about the episode???

Overall, I think it was a great episode I had no clue that Ms. Christie disappeared in her life until I watched the episode and looked it up to see if it was true. I like Doctor Who not really for the sci-fi factor but for the knowledge it teaches you.
                  sigpic

Comment

I actually had this kinda wild hope that she'd go gallivanting with the Doctor and Donna for a bit and the "gap" would be due to the imprecise timing of the TARDIS. Ah well.

Comment

BZZZZZ! Potential shipping! BZZZZZZ! Angry! BZZZZZZZ!

The Good:
                      >ROGER
                      Some of these young boys deserve a decent thrashing.

DAVENPORT
                      Couldn't agree more, sir.

DONNA [To the Doctor]
                      Typical. All the decent guys are on the other bus.

DOCTOR
                      Or Time Lords.
                      TEN POINTS!!!!!!
                      >The structure of the episode mirrored the events within: an Agatha Christie novel. I'm not a fan of the penultimate act of 'sit around, point fingers', but it was still enjoyable.
                      >The comedy! The Doctor's poisoning, the finger-pointing, the falling gargoyles.
                      >Another 'we're not together' moment!
                      >I loved the change The Unicorn made in accent and mannerisms! It might have been over the top cockney, but it worked well!
                      >Donna is officially my favourite companion from the new series. She's picking up on the details, like the vintage car or that look between the servant and his master. A good thrashing, indeed.
                      >Those chinese lanterns looked like Toclafane at first! Fool the fan, indeed.
                      >Roger and Davenport were cute. The instant Davenport says, "You usual, sir." and they had that brief eye contact, I KNEW they were, ahem, Rogering. I really felt Davenport's pain at seeing his lover dead, a knife in his back, face down in *giggle *his soup *giggle*... Ahem. Sorry.
                      >Ginger beer's a cockney slang term for gay? I never knew that before reading up on this episode.
                      >Agatha calling the Doctor and Donna on their happy attitude in the midst of genuine tragedy. It felt like season 2, with Rose and the Doctor running around laughing, laughing at werewolves, seemingly not caring about the fact that people were actually dying, just enjoying another adventure. Speaking of Rose...

The Bad:
                      >The shocking kiss. Donna talked about moving on after her almost husband, how she 'found' the Doctor... then she kisses him and both have that look on their faces... Please, tribal sky gods, don't let this happen! I can't stand another one falling for him! Especially NOT Donna!
                      >I found myself laughing so hard during the deaths! I mean, face down in the soup! Struck down by a giant wasp holding a lead pipe! Killed by falling gargoyle! I was having a wonderful time, obviously the characters [Doc/Donna/Agatha excluded] weren't.
                      >Not necessarily bad, but the priest kills a man of science, a non-white female and a gay male, before turning into a winged being amidst glowing smoke, spouting about 'tribal sky gods' and attempting a murderous rampage. Take from that what you will.

The Ugly:
                      >The scene where the Vespiform is deciding who to follow, Doc/Donna or Agatha. Donna really doesn't look like she's really running for her life. The perspective also made it look like she ran past the wasp, not that it was somewhere slightly behind her.

The Verdict:
                      Hilarious stuff. For once, the butler didn't do it. Would have loved Roger to survive, at least for Davenport's sake. I refuse to watch the previews at the end, so I'm going into this silent library thing cold.

More of the same.

Special mention to:
                      Spoiler:
                      DOCTOR
                      Donna...

DONNA
                      Okay, we could split the copyright.

DOCTOR
                      No. Something's inhibiting my enzymes. ARGH! (in agony) I've been poisoned!

DONNA
                      What do we do? What do we do?!

She crouches beside the Doctor, trying to find a way to help, while Agatha smells his drink.
                      AGATHA
                      Bitter almonds! It's cyanide! Sparkling cyanide!

The Doctor runs out of the room, stumbling. Donna and Agatha follow him.

They burst into the kitchen. The Doctor staggers to Davenport and grabs him.

DOCTOR
                      Ginger beer!

DAVENPORT (offended)I beg your pardon?

DOCTOR
                      I need ginger beer!

He struggles to a the kitchen shelf, sweeping off stuff while he searches for ginger beer.
                      MRS HART
                      The gentleman's gone mad!

The Doctor founds the bottle and drinks of it, then pours the rest on his head.
                      AGATHA
                      I'm an expert in poisons, Doctor. There's no cure! It's fatal!

He spits out the rest of the ginger beer.
                      DOCTOR
                      Not for me! I can stimulate the inhibited enzymes into reversal... Protein! I need protein!

He leans on the worktop, panting in agony, while Donna and Agatha search the kitchen supplies.
                      DONNA
                      Walnuts?

DOCTOR
                      Brilliant!

She hands him a jar of walnuts and he gobbles it down. Mouth full, he can only gesture to Donna, shaking his hand up and down.
                      DONNA
                      I can't understand you! How many words?

He shows up one finger.
                      DONNA
                      One! One word!

He keeps shaking his hand while Donna is guessing what he means.
                      DONNA
                      Shake, milk shake, milk? Milk? No, not milk? Hm, shake shake shake... Cocktail shaker! What do you want, a Harvey Wallbanger?

He finally manages to swallow the walnuts.
                      DOCTOR
                      Harvey Wallbanger?!

DONNA
                      Well, I don't know!

DOCTOR
                      How is Harvey Wallbanger one word?!

AGATHA
                      What do you need, Doctor?!

DOCTOR
                      Salt, I was miming salt! Salt! I need something salty!

DONNA
                      What about this?

She shows him a brown bag.
                      DOCTOR
                      What is it?

DONNA
                      Salt!

DOCTOR
                      That's too salty!

DONNA
                      Oh, that's too salty!

Agatha hands him a jar.
                      AGATHA
                      What about this?!

He opens the jar and gobbles the contents.
                      DONNA
                      What's that?

AGATHA
                      Anchovies!

The Doctor gestures again.
                      DONNA
                      What is it? What else? It's a song? Mammy? I don't know, Camptown Races?

DOCTOR
                      Camptown Races?

DONNA
                      All right then, Towering Inferno!

DOCTOR
                      It's a shock! Look! Shock! I need a shock!

DONNA
                      Right then. Big shock, coming up!

She grabs him and kisses him. She lets him go, and the Doctor breathes out a cloud of grey smoke. Donna, Agatha and the kitchen staff stare at him, shocked.
                      DOCTOR
                      Detox! (he wipes his mouth) I must do that more often!

Donna gives him a nasty look.
                      DOCTOR
                      I mean, the, the detox.

AGATHA (in disbelief)
                      Doctor, you are impossible! Who are you?
                      Last edited by nx01a; 31 May 2008, 08:22 AM.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                        "I was alone. Definitely alone. Always alone!"

And TBH the "we're not a couple" hasn't grown old on me yet. I'm still laughing...
                        ^^I know that feeling... The term 'comfirmed bachelor' fits Roger perfectly.
                        ^Agreed! After the shippiness of the last 3 seasons, reinforcing that fact is A+ in my book. Besides, it's hilarious how they shoot down the suggestion in unison every time. The Sontaran 2 parter didn't have one of those moments, did it? All I remember was them calling her the Doctor's wife behind her back.
                        Last edited by nx01a; 31 May 2008, 08:24 AM.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

FAVOURITE episode so far of this season.

Although it would have been perfect if the Doctor had told her who he was and how important her books will become - and then she had the amnesia.
                          Would have been nice to see her happy for an instant and no so depressed.

Another thing I really hope to see more of is Donna's Grandfather.
                          It would be AWESOME if they took him on an adventure.

Comment

This episode was not my favorite, but I should start my post by admitting that I generally dislike the mystery genre and Agatha Christie novels. This episode did nothing to improve my opinions of them.

The Good:
                            Donna-I still enjoy how she uses her brain.

The Bad:
                            The Doctor-I appreciated Agatha Christie calling him on his inappropriate enthusiasm. It instantly reminded me of the episode with Queen Victoria, which I also find that intersting.

The Kiss-Why can't RTD leave shipping out of one flipping season? I definitely am looking forward to a new writer. I don't mind romance, but three in three years: ick. I realize that Donna and the Doctor aren't quite at the same level as Rose or Martha, but I don't want to see it go there. Can the man just be friends with anyone of the opposite sex?

The author in need of ideas plot: It was interesting with Dickens; I enjoy the Shakespeare Code, but it is starting to get old. Each author is a genius. Each one doesn't understand the importance of his/her work, and the Doctor and the companion always supply the author with ideas.

The poison: This scene combined the radiation dance with the guess-my-need scene from The Christmas Invasion. It was useless, and it wasn't funny. I realize that RTD had to include something for the kiddies, but perhaps that was why Agatha Christie should have been avoided in the first place.

Overall, I wasn't impressed this week, but it wasn't terrible either, just predictable and childish. A 5/10 as I eagerly await the first episode by Moffat.
                            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                              I don't mind romance, but three in three years: ick. I realize that Donna and the Doctor aren't quite at the same level as Rose or Martha, but I don't want to see it go there. Can the man just be friends with anyone of the opposite sex?
                              I totally agree, it got old real fast. I have been loving the way Donna hasn't fallen hopelessly in love with him like everyone else seems to, but when I saw this....hopefully they don't take it any further. I'm sure she could have found some other way to give him a shock.

A 5/10 as I eagerly await the first episode by Moffat.
                              You won't be disappointed!
                              sigpic

Comment

Firstly, I need to say, that I've never read *any* of Agatha Christie's books, and don't remember getting too ensconced into her "Murder on the Orient Express" mystery, when it finally came on Tv. So, for me personally, watching about Agatha Christie on Doctor Who was an entirely NEW experience, historical factors mixed with the DW legacies.

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                                1. I don't like regular wasps let alone giant ones!
                                oh, definitely!! of course that one looked more like a yellow jacket, which I found out dozens of years after being stung by yellow jackets, *is* a wasp variety, with more yellow in its abdominal-stinger zone, than the nastier hornets, which are black wasps with thin, yellow stripes.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                                I actually had this kinda wild hope that she'd go gallivanting with the Doctor and Donna for a bit and the "gap" would be due to the imprecise timing of the TARDIS. Ah well.
                                After seeing the ep twice, I kept wondering about that and believed that just maybe she did take off with the Doctor and Donna. The scene shows her looking back at the Doctor and Donna standing by the Tardis -- so just maybe, she did go for a little ten day journey, and never talked about it -- because everything about the TARDIS in human terms, would remain as something *imagined* or that of disbelief.

Just because the Doctor and Donna never discussed it, doesn't necessary translate that they never did go off together *elsewhere*.. And based on the Doctor's conversation with Agatha Christie's book from the "C" trunk, perhaps the amnesia was still taking effect (she went into emotional shock), but let certain aspects of her experience bleed thru and into that book, which had the yellow jacket "wasp" on the cover design.

Comment

Working...
                                X