Planet of the Ood (3003/403)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    This thread is turning into a pre-punny opera. Gotta say, though, me 'n the Doctor? Baby, we were born to pun.
    Pleeeease! Make it stop! *bangs head repeatedly against wall in traumatised rocking motion*
    sigpic

Comment

Ali, you're no pun any more.

Madeleine

Comment

Loved the ep - tho I'm having a bit of trouble understanding Catherine Tate sometimes...

Only issue...and I'm sure it's just me...the Doctor using the Vulcan Mind Meld so that Donna could hear the song...
        sigpic

Comment

Oh, the Doctor's been copying Spock for a few seasons now.

Another reference to missing things. This time, the bees are mentioned again.

Interesting social commentary with another British Empire in the future being founded on slavery. Slave ships are now containers. I get it. Donna's clothes are made by slaves in the far east. lol

"Frolicking across the snow, like wildebeasts."

These companions seem to want the Doctor to be more classically sci-fi like. Rose wanted the Doctor to be more Spock-like, more like Capn Jack. Donna's happy to see a real rocket ship. I'd have to go back, but the rocket ship reminds me of the one used in the previous evil Ood 2 parter. They're from the same time period, so that's good continuity.

The Ood evolved with part of their brains hanging out... That kind of takes the point out of having 2 hands. I was honestly hoping for a massive Cthulhu, not an oversized brain, as being the cause of the red eye. How on Earth could something like that be born? Or survive? Or feed? And why did the head scientist slip between the cracks [literally]? I mean, did the brain WANT to crush/consume him? He was on their side!

Donna's initial reaction then acceptance of the Ood was believable. I mean, tentacles over their mouths... Her reaction to their telepathic song/cry was also believable. The Doctor's used to telepathic lament, she isn't. It compounds his capacity for understanding other races and his desire to help them.

The evil guy being changed into an Ood was seen a mile away, but the chessiness of the actual scene, the 'head down so I can pull off the mask' didn't work for me. The ethics of changing him into an Ood... I thought the Doctor was a bit hypocritical here. He's condemned entire races or individuals for doing similar things, but it's fair payback if the oppressed Ood do it? What about the British PM ordering Torchwood to blow up the Sycorax ship? Wasn't that a moral shade of gray, Doctor?

The massive crane was well done and the Ood makeup is great; I also love the voice acting for them.

Another enjoyable episode. More of the same.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            Rose wanted the Doctor to be more Spock-like, more like Capn Jack.
            *boggles* Captain Jack Spock-like?! That... You...

Sorry, does not compute. I can't imagine anyone LESS like Spock than Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              *boggles* Captain Jack Spock-like?! That... You...

Sorry, does not compute. I can't imagine anyone LESS like Spock than Jack.
              That is the cutest TB smiley ever!

As for the Jack/Spock quote - methinks it's a Rose one? She wanted alien tech. And she called it "Spock" for whatever mad reason!
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

The Doctor has NOT been copying Spock.

The Doctor "mind melded" in the Classic Series, it's a typical time lord trait.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I think this is the best episode we've had so far.... I felt quite sad at the end but also happy that the Ood are now free...

I liked this episode a lot except for the OTT chase with the claw thing.

Wasn't tha tindian actress in another episode in a previous season?
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                    I think this is the best episode we've had so far.... I felt quite sad at the end but also happy that the Ood are now free...

I liked this episode a lot except for the OTT chase with the claw thing.

Wasn't tha tindian actress in another episode in a previous season?
                    Oh I loved the claw chase (other than the OTT acting of the security guard captain). It was a really good action piece and I loved the way the Doctor bounced off walls etc as he cornered trying to outrun the thing.
                    sigpic

Comment

I also liked the comment re: Donna's clothes and how the Ood were slaves. We just has a news story about Nike workers in Indonesia being crammed into a tin shed and one long trough for upwards of 30+ men to bathe in.......

And yet we idiotically buy their brand name way over priced garments. Go figure

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                        No it wasn't just you, I was waiting for Donna to yell "Oh my Gawd it's Thunderbird 3"

I thought that as well, and it wouldn't have been out of place had she actually said that.. But the Ferrari comparison was quite hilarious...

I like the Wiki article on this episode where they criticise the Doctor about his "clothes" comment....

See here
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Ood

Comment

Great episode. I loved seeing the Ood again, Their physiology is quite interesting with the two brains and one huge shared brain. I'm so glad they are free. The Ood song is very poignant.

Once again Donna made me cry(when she cries, I cry). She is a very determined companion who has no trouble giving the Doctor what for and expressing her opinion. She also has great compassion and morality.

Comment

i agree with all that i think she is a great compaion wasn't fussed on her at first but she grew on me and in this episode she won me over. i also found the two brains and the sheared one interesting
                            sigpic

Comment

I just got the series 4 soundtrack and that's got the Ood song on it yay.

Comment

really thats interesting i didn't know doctor who had sound tracks and i have never seen them here
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X