No announcement yet.

The Fires of Pompeii (3002/402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as his name is not Bertie, Hugo or similiar trivial I am okay LOL but yeah lthe Medusa Cascade from "Utopia". I was really suprised to see that they actually went to Rome and Pompeii to shoot this episode. How cool was that and really how much money doe RTD for each episode. Looks like the Beep really rolled out the cash for the show now I loved how Catherine Tate said it felt like a big school trip
    He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
    He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
    And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
      As long as his name is not Bertie, Hugo or similiar trivial I am okay LOL but yeah lthe Medusa Cascade from "Utopia". I was really suprised to see that they actually went to Rome and Pompeii to shoot this episode. How cool was that and really how much money doe RTD for each episode. Looks like the Beep really rolled out the cash for the show now I loved how Catherine Tate said it felt like a big school trip
      where did you hear that??!
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        where did you hear that??!
        Everywhere... It was the main focus of DW Confidential.
        They used the sets that Rome was filmed on for Pompeii, and a few guys went to Pompeii and Vesuvius to film some shots of the volcano for CGIing into an eruption (and David Tennant went with them on a jolly ).

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
          Everywhere... It was the main focus of DW Confidential.
          They used the sets that Rome was filmed on for Pompeii, and a few guys went to Pompeii and Vesuvius to film some shots of the volcano for CGIing into an eruption (and David Tennant went with them on a jolly ).
          that's what i thought... the way huntress said it i thought she meant REAL rome...
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Those sets are in Rome.

Comment

that's what i thought... the way huntress said it i thought she meant REAL rome...
              She did. The sets they used - the sets from the mini-series Rome - are at the famous Cinecitta studies in Rome. They took the whole production to Rome for two days of filming. It's the first time the show has ever filmed abroad.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                She did. The sets they used - the sets from the mini-series Rome - are at the famous Cinecitta studies in Rome. They took the whole production to Rome for two days of filming. It's the first time the show has ever filmed abroad.
                wow...
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                Quotes!
                sigpic

Comment

Yup. Thanks Alipeeps for clarifying. I forgot that not everybody saw DW Conifdential LOL
                  He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                  He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                  And he's wonderful.

Comment

City of Death was the first one to be filmed abroad, in the New Series some scenes from Daleks in Manhatten were filmed in New York, though apparently none of them featured DT.

Comment

I haven't seen "City of Death" yet. Isn't that the story written by Douglas Adams? I really want to see that!

"The Daleks in Manhattan" - you can't compare that to this episode. "Fires of Pompeii" was so much cooler and also not only a few scenes where shot there but a big portion of the episode!
                      And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                        City of Death was the first one to be filmed abroad, in the New Series some scenes from Daleks in Manhatten were filmed in New York, though apparently none of them featured DT.
                        if i remember rightly, it was only backdrops that were filmed in the real NY then actors were blue/greenscreened on
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        Quotes!
                        sigpic

Comment

"Doctor she is returning"

Can I say, my new favorite line for season 4.

Comment

Um, The Two Doctors, starring Colin Baker and Patrick Troughton was filmed in Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                              Um, The Two Doctors, starring Colin Baker and Patrick Troughton was filmed in Portugal
                              And as has alrady been mentioned... City of Death was filmed on location in Paris.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                                if i remember rightly, it was only backdrops that were filmed in the real NY then actors were blue/greenscreened on
                                ^What he said. The only things they "filmed" in New York for the Dalek 2-parter were some establishing shots and some plate shots to allow them to CGI the buildings etc into the background of the "Hooverville" scenes shot in Wales! All they sent over there was the writer, the FX guy and a coupla cameramen. Plus the Dr Who Confidential team, of course!

Whereas for FoP they transferred the entire production over there - actors, costume, FX, stunts, props, crew, you name it. Lorry loads full of equipment.

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                                I'm pretty sure they were referring specifically to the current production (i.e. the new Doctor Who series) when they said it's the first time they've taken production abroad.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X