No announcement yet.

The Fires of Pompeii (3002/402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, that's harsh and inappropriate. Hate the character yes, but don't take it out on the actress.

Anyway, I disagree with you. In MY PERSONAL opinion, Donna has proven herself to be a much more worthy companion than Rose ever did. And that's in TWO episodes.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I am really not sure about this one.
      Spoiler:

It had a lot of classic who about it which is surprising to me, as I thought the show was trying to move away from that kind of thing. I was unsettled by The Doctor's sudden character turn around from the days of classic Who where he would hardly hesitate to save a person... not talking about Pompeii but the family.

I can put this down to what he has gone through recently, I can see it as being all about him having spent too much time on his own, and also he is a Timelord.

However it irks me that it is left to Donna *again* to badger him into doing the moral thing, as I say back in the day hardly a hesitation, in fact at one point the TARDIS was full of strays, some who had lost everything and here he doesn't even take them with him in as much as he saves them by taking them to... Rome?

I guess what annoys is that it really is left to Donna. I think that diminishes The Doctor in the end. I don't like that, not one little bit. He is the hero of the show not the bloody companion. Donna was good here, nothing against her, it is the way the show is treating The Doctor's morals and ethics that are annoying me. If I want to watch a show with heroes who are devoid of ethics I will watch Stargate Atlantis!

As for the story, well it was alright. James did a pretty good job, while I wasn't that interested in the family at least they weren't annoying, the son was rather entertaining really.

Also loved the man in the market that sold the TARDIS I kept getting Monty Python flashbacks! The cult/women's knitting group was all very 1970s Doctor Who, and the alien was, well an alien. Seems to be a lot of lost aliens these days, them days... whatever.

Now that thread... that thing that is going to run through the series by the sounds of it... I think it is Rose
      Spoiler:
      but it could be The Rani... or it may be "The Doctor's Daughter" I just hope Rose ain't the mum!
      I have to say like all the other threads in new Who I am not interested. It is distracting, maybe the kids like it but I find it a little too silly now. Also where is the surprise? You basically end up with everyone throwing in their two cents of an idea on who "she" is and so by the time the ep airs we have all heard at least one name or idea about who "she" is and that takes away any 'surprise' element. Imho. *shrugs*

Better then last week but hasn't hit its stride yet.

Next week! Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
        Spoiler:
        I was unsettled by The Doctor's sudden character turn around from the days of classic Who where he would hardly hesitate to save a person... not talking about Pompeii but the family.

I can put this down to what he has gone through recently, I can see it as being all about him having spent too much time on his own, and also he is a Timelord.

However it irks me that it is left to Donna *again* to badger him into doing the moral thing, as I say back in the day hardly a hesitation, in fact at one point the TARDIS was full of strays, some who had lost everything and here he doesn't even take them with him in as much as he saves them by taking them to... Rome?

I guess what annoys is that it really is left to Donna. I think that diminishes The Doctor in the end. I don't like that, not one little bit. He is the hero of the show not the bloody companion. Donna was good here, nothing against her, it is the way the show is treating The Doctor's morals and ethics that are annoying me. If I want to watch a show with heroes who are devoid of ethics I will watch Stargate Atlantis!
        I think it's just down to the timeline thing. IMO he was clearly pretty torn up about having to do it, but it was historically fixed (or whatever) that they were to die, so as a Time Lord he has to stick to that.

(Although no big flying Father's Day time-beasties...)

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
          I think it's just down to the timeline thing. IMO he was clearly pretty torn up about having to do it, but it was historically fixed (or whatever) that they were to die, so as a Time Lord he has to stick to that.

(Although no big flying Father's Day time-beasties...)
          I haven't watched Father's Day... I have, but not... parts of it.

I was watching the confidential and RTD does address this as does DT and CT but I am still left thinking they (tptb) are relying on the companion too much for The Doctor's morals in all of this. I am not saying in William Hartnell's day there wasn't similar happenings but it seemed more pronounced here.

Maybe I am reading too much into it, maybe it has been this way for a while.

I never thought or wanted him to save Pompeii but as he is suppose to be the reason Pompeii is destroyed in this story (although he isn't the real reason, in reality it is the aliens and the mountain not The Doctor) all The Doctor can do is make a choice between two bad situations. I understand all of that. I even understand him being, after the Timewar, a different man/Timelord but I still think Tom's Doctor would have opened his bag of jelly babies with little hesitation.

This is a kids show so I like that they still are introducing ethics and morals into the equation and that it is not all black and white. So that is something.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006
            I was never talking about the character.
            And your point is? GW rules do not allow you or me or anyone to say negative things about the actors, unless they are constructive, polite and to do with their acting performance.

You can say Tate is not to my liking as an actor, or that you think Billie is better. Calling Tate a "tool" would IMHO go against GW rules. A Mod can/do/may disagree with my interpretation of the rules but I stand by it.

You can call Donna a tool, if you must, but not Tate. When was Donna's last name Tate? I thought it was Noble?

Comment

Loved the ep. Fighting back with a water pistol! LOL! And everyone knowing who the Doctor was. heh. So much for Spartacus.

I think the "lost" planets thing is going to play into things this season, and no, I haven't read the spoilers.

I still like Donna. I think she's gonna be a good addition to the show, but I really hope we aren't going to have the nonship shoved down our throats as heavily as the ship has been.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                Loved the ep. Fighting back with a water pistol! LOL! And everyone knowing who the Doctor was. heh. So much for Spartacus.

I think the "lost" planets thing is going to play into things this season, and no, I haven't read the spoilers.

I still like Donna. I think she's gonna be a good addition to the show, but I really hope we aren't going to have the nonship shoved down our throats as heavily as the ship has been.
                That's what made me laugh out loud to and Donna's reaction "I bloody love you"!

It was an OK episode I thought. The SFX were marvellous but I'm still not sure about Donna. It just feels like the show hasn't got going yet. Last week's episode just made me keep thinking of 'Gremlins' and this one just seemed to lag a bit in places. I'm sure it'll get more exciting for me as it goes on. I have to say, though, I am constantly amazed at the really good and original ideas that they come up with for this show.

Comment

Water pistol, although a bit silly, well I can see kids loving that. And it is the only gun The Doctor is likely to use.

Comment

Right, I'm a bit of a Donna convert! Not that I disliked her before, I just didn't really much care. However, I really enjoyed her in this ep - I loved the way she argued with the Doctor at the end, to save someone.
                    Overall, a good episode

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      I was genuinly expressing a gleeful desire for Rose to return as an evil she-witch.
                      Wild speculation here, but it occurred to me that we have seen a Time Lady choose exactly what she looks like when she regenerates. I also wondered if all these planets are getting lost because someone is monkeying with history, perhaps trying to bring Gallifrey back.

And my own theory - wishful as it is - starts with R, but isn't Rose, or the Rani.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet View Post
                        And my own theory - wishful as it is - starts with R, but isn't Rose, or the Rani.
                        Ooh ooh
                        Spoiler:
                        Romana

That's a spanner in the works I could appreciate

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                          Ooh ooh
                          Spoiler:
                          Romana

That's a spanner in the works I could appreciate
                          The only trouble is, what would you call the episode?

The Last of the Time Lords... Again
                          The Last of the Time Lords... No, honestly
                          The Last of the Time Lords?
                          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet View Post
                            The only trouble is, what would you call the episode?

The Last of the Time Lords... Again
                            The Last of the Time Lords... No, honestly
                            The Last of the Time Lords?
                            Spoiler:
                            The Last Time Lady, The President Awakes

Comment

Brilliant episode, lvoed it to small fluffy bits.

I'm completely in love with Donna. Seriously. She's the most brilliantest companion evah!
                              *angelic smile*

Yeah, I suspect the mentino twice in a row of the Shadow Proclamation and a lost planet was meant to catch our attention - as they're not having an arc word this year, they woudl have to make all the pieces stand out. That's a godo way of doing it.

The "modern" Roman family with the teenager son and "modern art!" bit was compeltely and utterly brilliant.

Poor Doctor. Sniff. RTD sure loves torturing him. But it's a good thing he had Donna. Loved her Latin bits, and the fact they thought they're Celts!
                              Well, loved all of it really.

I'm squeeing.
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I personally did not find the episode that good, though it picked up a lot towards the end. Interesting to note that here the Doctor was able to sacrifice many forthe greater good yet in The Parting of the Ways he wasn't, though I suppose different Doctor's do have different personalities and thus different morals.

Not the first time the TARDIS has been mistaken for modern art but still brilliant. As was us finally getting an answer to the question of what happens if a companion intentionally speaks the foreign language.

I'm intruiged as to why everyone is convinced that Gallifrey is going to be restored. The destruction of Gallifrey and the Time War thing was the perfect way to re-inject the mystery back into the character of the Doctor. Am I the only person who strongly objects to the idea of bringing back the Time Lords?

Comment

Working...
                                X