42 (2907/307)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
    I took 'impact' to mean entering the coronosphere. Before that point the shields would only have to cope with radiated heat in the vacuum of space, but on entry of the coronosphere there would also have been conductive heat from the actual hot gasses touching the ship; I doubt the shields were designed to cope with conductive heat.
    But if the shield had been adapted by the crew to withstand heat. Didn't Cindy McDonnell admit she'd taken bits of the sun to use as fuel before

Comment

Maybe the scoop part of the ship, or a special 'hoover', or a drone vehicle that did the collecting, or something could withstand the touch of the hot gas, but the shields of the ship itself seemed to be struggling just by being too close.

Madeleine

Comment

BURN WITH ME!

lol classic. Gd episode. I can feel DR Who is building up 2 something BIG
        sigpic
        Banner Made By Me for Me
        The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

this is probly the frist ep sents love and monsters that i really wasent that into. i don't think its was bad but i probly won't be rushing to see it any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post

DT does whump ever so well, both physically and emotionally. One moment I adored was in the medlab when Martha was trying to look through the instructions for the stasis chamber and the Dr, not daring to open his eyes, reached out for her blindly, calling her name. That was a lovely moment.. whether you're into shipping or not. She was his only connection, the only thing groudning him and he was trying so hard to hold on.. just fab!

Oh yes! Someone, I think on another board, mentioned a while back that the 10th Doctor appears to be a pain-fetishist's dream, and I think he/she has a point! Not complaining! I think we're lucky that we've got a good enough actor in the role for him to be confident to go for it when it's written, and one that's apparently good tempered enough to put up with any extreme that's been written for him - 'just stand here for the third time, David, while we dump several hundred gallons of cold water all over you...' 'just give us another five minutes of screaming, will you David...?' Etc etc....(I get the impression from the confidentials that he actually rather enjoys it - bless him). And as for the sheer emotional content of some of the stuff he's been delivering right from the start, just excellent.

I've never been of the school of thought that believes that the Doctor should be a virtually omnipotent being who always comes in and saves the day - I find exploring vulnarabilities, physical, emotional, and mental, to be much more interesting and inherantly much more attractive to the character.

Comment

This episode had its moments but it reminded me a bit too much of Sunshine. For a while I was convinced they'd decided to kill of Martha, sort of wish they'd had the balls to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by in circles View Post
                This episode had its moments but it reminded me a bit too much of Sunshine. For a while I was convinced they'd decided to kill of Martha, sort of wish they'd had the balls to do it.
                Haven't seen sunshine so I didn't have that frame of reference...
                sigpic

Comment

Good ep! Not one of the best, but good. LOVED the silence when the pod ejected. That was really effective. And I don't see how the glowing eyes should draw any comparision to Stargate, loads of shows and films have had glowing eyes.

And Martha's Mum.....REALLY annoying (that's good), the Saxon plot is boiling.....

And I was rather annoyed when the CBC contest word thing on the bottom of the screen was "Captain Jack"- what are they doing? Trying to tease us for.....four more weeks til he's back?

Comment

Enjoyable episode. It was certainly almost non stop action.

I can't stand Martha's mum. I know she's worried about her daughter, but tracing her calls(good luck with that) and working with the mysterious people in suits is a bit much. Wonder what they are up to?

Martha got a key to The Tardis.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                      Haven't seen sunshine so I didn't have that frame of reference...
                      Hadn't seen Sunshine either...
                      But it reminded me of Solaris and it didn't bother me too much.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                        And since the solar scoops (whatever they were called) were eventually outlawed, did it have anything to do with the discovery that some(?) suns were alive, or was it more of a health factor thing? Although I should think that being hunted down by an angry sun-being would be pretty hazardous to your health.
                        Yeah, I'm not really sure how I feel about not knowing. It's kind of nice wondering if it's outlawed because of a similar incident somewhere. But thinking about it brings up the question of just how sun scooping is *done*, which annoys me. In the classic series we'd have been given a quick conceptual explanation from which to extrapolate.
                        Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          Since they're Saxon's people and since Saxon knows who and what the Doctor is I figured that he had some way of tracing the call to wherever and whenever the Doctor was. Or maybe they just keep checking until they can get an actual reading and let Saxon know that he's in the neighborhood.
                          I was thinking the latter. But really, it all just might be window dressing to throw Francine Jones into such a tizzy that she'll inform the nice people in black the instant she hears *anything* about Martha or the Doctor.
                          Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                            I can't blame the Doctor for being scared. Has he ever been posessed in that fashion before?
                            "The Invisible Enemy" has a lot of similarity. Others: "Pyramids of Mars". "Arc of Infinity" for a rather different agenda than the usual. "The Ark in Space", sort of. "The Edge of Destruction", I think?

Hey, that's it! That's what "42" reminds me of: "Planet of Evil",
                            Spoiler:
                            glowing eyes, unable to escape a planet because someone has stolen a means of energy production from it...
                            Wordsmit2

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                              I actually really liked Martha and that engineering kid. He was a cutie.
                              He had the energy you need to stand out in a Doctor Who episode. Kudos to the casting director! And probably the director as well.
                              Last edited by Wordsmit2; 18 August 2007, 11:12 AM.
                              Wordsmit2

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                And I don't see how the glowing eyes should draw any comparision to Stargate, loads of shows and films have had glowing eyes.
                                Star Trek, the second pilot episode for goodness sake! --"Where No Man Has Gone Before"
                                Wordsmit2

Comment

Working...
                                X