The Sound of Drums (2912/312)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    Yeah but I got the impression it was a little too close to home for Jack... and again Family Friendly show. Even RTD isn't stupid enough to play that card so openly... regardless of what some may say about him and his agenda.

You need some slash goggles.
    well he chatted up that bloke in Utopia.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      well he chatted up that bloke in Utopia.
      No to a kid *a stupid cloistered kid* he was saying hello, to a others who know better yeah he was hitting on him but again it is so by the by as to be no big thing *as it should be* I mean he didn't' say anymore then hello, or hi. Did he? In other words kids *stupid kids* wouldn't be thinking oh he is hitting on that guy there. Anyway Jack is Jack just cause he likes the sex with lots of folks does not mean he can't fall for The Doctor as well.

Comment

well yeah but what i mean is that TPTB are not afraid to show that sort ofthing in some way so if they wanted to show that He had a thing for the doctor then they would.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

well yeah but what i mean is that TPTB are not afraid to show that sort ofthing in some way so if they wanted to show that He had a thing for the doctor then they would.
          I just think there is no point in spelling it out. Also unlike Martha and Rose, Jack is a man and he has been around a lot longer then either of them and he... well, he knows the score.

Why would RTD allow Jack to go there anyway? Why would he take the show in that direction when there is no need to? He can satisfy most fans who would like to think that Jack and The Doctor have something *special* by doing what he is doing already. (most fans know the score ).

Anyway it ain't over yet.

Comment

I didn't take it in that sense. I took it to mean that he was talking about Rose. When he said it there was no look of longing or anything like that he just said it like 'soooooo you too huh? yeah rose was the same.'
            Why would Jack refer to Rose in that context, since it's been quite clear that Rose and the Doctor DID reciprocate each other's emotions and were quite well aware of how the other felt.

It seemed very clear to me that Jack was referring, with some understated irony, to himself. One of the things I particularly liked about this episode was how easily Jack and Martha seemed to have bonded together - they have developed an understanding very quickly and already got to the point of being able to communicate very well on a non-verbal level, such as the point where Martha prompts Jack with just a gesture of her eyes towards the Doctor to ask him about The Master. At this point Martha already knows that Jack can get away with asking the Doctor more than she can (and I SO wanted to punch the Doctor on the nose when he said 'and that's all you need to know' to her earlier) and it's she who is driving that question being asked.

As for the Doctor, the one negative note in this episode for me was the aged makeup at the end because frankly, it was so UGLY. And all that flailing about during the ageing process - it was so - seventies. Yuk. That whole sequence just ruined the last five minutes for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnoliaAnaglypta View Post
              As for the Doctor, the one negative note in this episode for me was the aged makeup at the end because frankly, it was so UGLY. And all that flailing about during the ageing process - it was so - seventies. Yuk. That whole sequence just ruined the last five minutes for me.
              It didn't ruin the last five minutes for me but I agree it was a little too much, I guess it was meant to be ugly to convey the way The Doctor would be feeling? Old, fragile and obviously not himself. Not sure, but really I was thinking normally if they were using that kind of thing that a TimeLord would regenerate. For one small moment I actually thought he was going to regenerate.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                Also, I seem to be the only one who caught the sly reference to the Third Doctor.
                In the scene where the Master is at the airfield meeting Air Force One and the President, he's wearing a long overcoat with a red silk lining.
                Much like the opera cloak with the red silk lining that the Third Doctor was fond of wearing.
                I did notice that moment and found it somehow deliberately reminiscent but I couldn't quite think specifically of what. So thanks for confirming that.

How do you mean. I haven't seen anything that would indicate jack may have a thing for the doctor........well not like martha and rose at least....Jack seems willing to do it with anybody.....just look at him in torchwood.
                I didn't take it in that sense. I took it to mean that he was talking about Rose. When he said it there was no look of longing or anything like that he just said it like 'soooooo you too huh? yeah rose was the same.'
                Oh I definitely took it in the sense of Jack saying he had a crush on the Doctor too. It was very much Jack commiserating with Martha.. saying "I know how you feel." Especially in light of his earlier explanation to the Doctor about Torchwood, where he said, "I did it for you!"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mawds
                  So after watching this episode, is anyone doing the drum beat thing?
                  I can't stop lol.. dur dur dur dur, dur dur dur dur....
                  YES! On the way to the pub afterwards (Who first, drinking second) my friend randomly hummed the Rogue Traders song wheras I just had those 4 beats... It was really creepy, but awesome at the same time.

I think my friend described this episode perfectly when he said EPIC. As to those ball things, they seemed to come from the vortex. It's almost like they spoke to the child Master to release them later in life... But that would be rubbish.

I'm gonna have to watch it again.

... Jelly baby?

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post

Oh I definitely took it in the sense of Jack saying he had a crush on the Doctor too. It was very much Jack commiserating with Martha.. saying "I know how you feel." Especially in light of his earlier explanation to the Doctor about Torchwood, where he said, "I did it for you!"
                    Yep, that's the way I took it as well.

Another fabulous episode!

Heh! Master to the Dr: 'Are you asking me out on a date?'!!!

Ya know, I'm finding I'm re-watching episodes 3 or 4 times now. A sure sign that I'm getting addicted to something! There's just so much crammed into a story though, that it's fun to pick up stuff you missed the first time around.

Loving John Simm as The Master. He's sooooo good. I liked that The Master's wife is equally as nutty as well!

Also, just got to say that I'm really loving all the background music just lately. They have so many different themes running through each episode. It's really very well done.

Now...roll on Saturday!!

Comment

I did notice that moment and found it somehow deliberately reminiscent but I couldn't quite think specifically of what. So thanks for confirming that.
                      You're welcome.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mawds View Post
                        So after watching this episode, is anyone doing the drum beat thing?
                        I can't stop lol.. dur dur dur dur, dur dur dur dur....
                        I am. i don't even realise i'm doing it now. i think the writers have brainwashed us.
                        Russell T Davies = The Master!!!

A stunning episode.

John Simm was amazing. He handled the crazy perfectly - a lesser actor might have been too OTT and campy, but John was superb.
                        (I'm hoping that he'll be able to come back after next week - the Master has always been a great villain.)

It was neat having John Barrowman on the main credits.
                        The Doctor, Martha and Jack make a great team.

The huge Gallifrey/Master/Time Lords/Doctor backstory splurge was cool.
                        I think that time vortex-thing the young Master looked into has to play some part in the finale (other than being what sent him loopy) - there seemed to be a little too much emphasis on it to just be pure backstory, and nothing else.

It seems all too possible now that
                        Spoiler:
                        Martha will be killed off, or leave for some other reason.

My only problem with the episode is that the Earth is completely changed now, much more than with the Christmas eps, or Doomsday. It just seems too massive to me - it's not really set in the "real world" anymore, unless they go back in time and stop it from happening.

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                        As to why The Master, simple he is ruthless. The TimeLords are a lot of things and yes they have done some very questionable things but ruthless? No. They needed someone like The Master, yes as broken and wrong as he is.... and lets NEVER forget The Doctor hates taking orders form The TimeLords he ran away from Gallifrey to be rid of them, he spent much of his regenerations avoiding his home planet because of The TimeLords.... Frankly to The TimeLords I am sure The Doctor and The Master are seen much the same. Only The Doctor less with the crazy.
                        I don't know. look at the doctor. he can be very ruthless now. i think he's done things that the old doctors would never have done.
                        Yeah, he can be ruthless now, but not at the time. It's only because of what he had to do to end the Time War that this ruthlessness has come out - his loneliness and anger at it all.

Comment

well that was an aight episode...i'm thinking that nxt ep them robo drones will be revealed as being from an alternate universe on an alternate Earth...*thinking as to the mention of there being 6 Billion of the drones ~ the same population of the earth (humans anyway) atm*

also when the sky opened didnt it look awefully similar to the void that the cybermen and darleks *excuse if spell wrong* where 'banished' to?

saying that the drones have some funky spikes that remind me of cybermen making humans into more cybermen...

/end thoughts....

Ineva.

Comment

Want a bit of gossip?

There's a rumour going round that
                            Spoiler:
                            the Doctor and the Master will switch bodies, and that John Simm will play the Doctor for some episodes of series 4

However, given how much he moaned and complained about having to be away from his family when he was filming Life on Mars in Manchester, I don't think it's likely.
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Exactly. He rebuilt Torchwood in the Doctor's honor. Yes, that could be written off as a "just friends" sort of thing, too, but I took it to mean something more; the "You too?" line just underscored it for me.

Comment

A small request:

If anyone can get a quality screencap of The Master giving the thumbs up to the dying stereotypical British politician then I will forever be your best friend. Mine keep coming up blurry. And too small.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Working...
                                X