No announcement yet.

Smith and Jones (2901/301)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say I liked the episode. For someone who's not a Doctor Who fan, I have found myself watching it more and enjoying the show.

I thought the whole Space Rhino looked very well done, and I thought the whole idea of just being beamed onto the moon was unexpected. One thing I thought was good is how they explained why she looked the different character she played during the Cybermen invasion, without having to go into great detail about it. I think "i had a cousin who worked at Canary Wharf" worked out better than some fancy explanation I had expected them to come up with.

I think it would be worrying that a hospital can't figure out a guy has two hearts. The 7th Doctor's two hearts was figured out fairly quickly by a US doctor, but 10th is in a hospital all day and they seem to pass it without a second thought.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal
      Best Line:

(Paraphrasing)
      Martha: Do you have a brother?
      Doctor: Me? No. Not any more.

Damn you RTD with your little subtle lines!
      What? When was that? I missed that!

Ahem...
      Very good episode. The Judoon were great!

I like Martha, she should be a good companion.

Some good Saxon references...

Not sure about the blue suit - there's nothing wrong with it, I just much prefer the brown one.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
        What? When was that? I missed that!
        Martha asked him that when she first meet him in the hospital during her examination of him.

Just revising what The Signal stated.

Doctor: No. Not any more. Just me.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
          Someone asked where he got the second sonic screwdriver. I just assumed he went back in time to get it, part of the tie stunt. No?
          I assumed he took time off between the arrival back on Earth and swinging by at the club to go and build himself a new one.

I'll also second the prayer for no more family issues, please. Rose's "issues" got cringe-inducing by the end. I'd rather avoid that with Martha.

Comment

maybe he keeps a sonic screwdriver in every suit, or he's got more than one. I can't really see someone who relies on a single tool that much not having a spare in case of emergencies.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
              Not sure about the blue suit - there's nothing wrong with it, I just much prefer the brown one.
              Agreed, blue is... different, makes him stand out, but it doesn't have the geek-chic essence about it that the brown did IMO, the brown just suited him better.

As for the screwdriver, he probably built a new one, his reaction to the loss of the first wasn't that of a man with a bunch in a box somewhere lying around. I had actually hoped he wouldn't have a new one, way overused at the moment IMO, I hope they tone down the usage of it in future.
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I am not sure what to think off this ep and enjoy it but not as much as i normally do
                I like the jagoon the space rhinos coz i am a leeds rhinos fan so it works out for the best
                sigpic
                Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                Metal gear fan

Comment

Oy, excellent season opener.

Silly and insane and very Doctor Who-ish and I lvoed it to bits. Yup, Martha seems really cool (tho I don't understadn why they didn't just ignore the "same actress playing two characters" bit, never stopped people before )
                  Agreed about the Douglas Adams vibes. ell, it only fits, him having written episodes and all.

I'm really glad he madwe himself a new sonic screwdriver tho. The Doctor without his sonic screwdriver? so horrid.

*happy*
                  *wantsd another episode*
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    I think it would be worrying that a hospital can't figure out a guy has two hearts. The 7th Doctor's two hearts was figured out fairly quickly by a US doctor, but 10th is in a hospital all day and they seem to pass it without a second thought.

If I remember the Doctor Who Movie (the one where the 7th Doctor regenerates into the 8th Doctor-- )

Spoiler:
                    Grace-- his heart doctor or cardiologist-- doesn't figure it out. She gets lost during a catheterization, and McCoy "dies" right there on the table.

It takes the 8th Doctor repeatedly telling her he was different-- and not just crazy as she wanted to believe-- for her to understand he had different anatomy.
                    "That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

I'm very fond of the sonic screwdriver... partially because I'm very fond of the Pertwee era. I dunno... it's not quite the Doctor without it. A signature thing, I suppose.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by docballen View Post
                        If I remember the Doctor Who Movie (the one where the 7th Doctor regenerates into the 8th Doctor-- )

Spoiler:
                        Grace-- his heart doctor or cardiologist-- doesn't figure it out. She gets lost during a catheterization, and McCoy "dies" right there on the table.

It takes the 8th Doctor repeatedly telling her he was different-- and not just crazy as she wanted to believe-- for her to understand he had different anatomy.
                        Odd, that's not how I remembered it. I'll need to get it and rewatch it because I thought she figured out he had two hearts before you know what happened.

sigpic

Comment

you know this my seem silly but was i the only one who could stop thinking about Scrubs when watching this ep. this ep could have been at lot better if it took place at sacred heart. insed of martha JD,DrCox or Elliot. The Janitor could have taken thous raino guys. i guess kelso would have probly died and as u can see i thought about this way to much

Comment

I'm glad it wasn't Scrubs. Or Grey's Anatomy. Or any other "doctors/nurses screwing each other's brains out" excuse for a so-called medical show. I'll take a hospital full of screaming fools over that any day.

Comment

I love this show. David Tennant is wonderful. Martha is a welcome addition, someone who might do some of the spelling-out-for-the audience bits instead of having it done to her by the Doctor.

The Space Rhinos looked pretty realistic (as Space Rhinos go).

The "it's bigger on the inside" thing has been done with everyone who ever goes inside, and it has to be done, but it was a nice touch having the Doctor mouth Martha's words, just to make it a bit different.

Madeleine

Comment

I agree - it's great fun. David is brilliant, and he gives the Doctor a kind of slightly-insane-but-fully-in-control-nonetheless energy that ventures beyond hyperactive and into wildly crazy territory. You can't help wondering whether he's actually really rational - until he gets out the sonic screwdriver and saves the day. I love it.

I think Martha is going to be a good companion for him. She's more highly educated than Rose was, so it'll be interesting to see if she has the same levels of everyday commonsense that Rose had (it's amazing how many highly educated and qualified people don't!). Mind you, if this ep was anything to go by, with her busy home life I suspect she will!

Have to say the Judoon were great - the prosthetics were fantastic and looked incredibly good. Right bunch of jobsworths, though.

I also enjoyed the 'Martha's first view of the TARDIS' scene - they stitched the 'inside' and 'outside' shots together very well. I wonder if the Doctor ever gets tired of that whole 'it's bigger on the inside than the outside' thing?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X