The Shakespeare Code (2902/302)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angelfire east View Post
    I just started watching this show, I watched the odd episode with Tenth and Rose but it didn't really hook me. But Martha and Tenth did The past two episodes have been a blust. I love that she has a crush on him and he can't see it at all lol

Love the line about HP, who did DT play in Goblet of Fire? I saw the movie but at the tiem I didn't know who DT was so... now it's driving me crazy lol
    He played Barty Crouch Jr.- it's been so long since I saw that movie that I've kind of forgotten it, so I'm borrowing it this week to re-watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      He played Barty Crouch Jr.- it's been so long since I saw that movie that I've kind of forgotten it, so I'm borrowing it this week to re-watch.
      Cool thanks for telling me. I finally found the movie and rewatched his scenes Man he was brilliant in the movie I wish they had goen witht he longer verison of the characters scenes from the book so I could've saw more of him.
      Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

Originally posted by angelfire east View Post
        Cool thanks for telling me. I finally found the movie and rewatched his scenes Man he was brilliant in the movie I wish they had goen witht he longer verison of the characters scenes from the book so I could've saw more of him.
        Shame he's not a continuing character throughout the films. I keep thinking that he'd have made a good Lupin. He's skinny enough. And actually almost exactly as I've always imagined Lupin.

Comment

Ahhh, but if he was busy doing Harry Potter movies he might not be available for Doctor Who.

Which would you choose?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            Ahhh, but if he was busy doing Harry Potter movies he might not be available for Doctor Who.

Which would you choose?
            Ooh, yes, good point.

Comment

A wonderful lovely episode!

It was simple yet amazing all the same.

The Good:

The Shakespeare references were well done and funny, and even the Harry Potter references worked well. (Although I don't really seem them working well in 20 years when Harry Potter is off the cultural radar.)

I loved the line about "57 academics."

The plot, the villians, Martha, the writing, DT, all of it was wonderful.

A 10/10.
              "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. It's not my all-time favorite, but good.

"Your breath don't half stink"-- OMG that was priceless!!!

This is just a side comment. I was a little... concerned... that the baddies in this episode were "Witches". I mean, it was excellent that they had power, and that we never truly saw the science that was involved... but as someone who is truly pagan, I'm not looking forward to answering the question "are you evil like those old ugly hags on Doctor Who?" (I know that true Doctor Who fans wouldn't ask that question... they understand that The Carrionites are aliens and nothing like real-life witches... but there are a lot of ignorant people out there...)

I'm not gonna protest Doctor Who or anything like that. I'd give this episode 8/10. I guess I just need to speak to the others I worship with to see how they took it.
                "That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Well, the way I look at it is that the ignorant will be ignorant no matter what- they don't need the Carrionites as an excuse to hate/fear witchcraft or paganism or whatever. I'm tempted to say those sort of people wouldn't be watching Doctor Who anyway, but even if they are... *shrug* Like I said, I don't think it'd make much difference either way. Folks are very good at finding things to be ignorant about.

Comment

If those sorts of people didn't like Witchcraft and thought it was evil then they wouldn't be watching Doctor Who because they'd think its evil.

This was another rather strange episode. i thought the classical sterotyped witches were cool though. The broomsticks just really added to the effect. Especially when the doctor closed the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by docballen View Post
                      I really enjoyed this episode. It's not my all-time favorite, but good.

"Your breath don't half stink"-- OMG that was priceless!!!

This is just a side comment. I was a little... concerned... that the baddies in this episode were "Witches". I mean, it was excellent that they had power, and that we never truly saw the science that was involved... but as someone who is truly pagan, I'm not looking forward to answering the question "are you evil like those old ugly hags on Doctor Who?" (I know that true Doctor Who fans wouldn't ask that question... they understand that The Carrionites are aliens and nothing like real-life witches... but there are a lot of ignorant people out there...)

I'm not gonna protest Doctor Who or anything like that. I'd give this episode 8/10. I guess I just need to speak to the others I worship with to see how they took it.
                      I respect paganism a great deal. Paganism and Budhism are the two faiths I respect most in the world. But, and I apologise for offence caused, I think it's silly for anyone to get upset about witches being portrayed as evil in the ep. Wicked Witches is a story device that has been used for centuries, and Shakespeare loved writing about them. I don't see the issue. Wicked Witches are a narrative device, they always will be, they're entertaining. Let's not forget though, that there's always the White Witch to counteract the Wicked Witch...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by docballen View Post

Interesting. I guess that I didn't see the witches that way at all. I took them as a reference to Macbeth, similar to all of the Hamlet, A Winter's Tale, and Henry V comments. If anything, the witches may have represented the late 14th century view of witchcraft, but I'm not sure that the writers were aiming at anyone in the modern audience.
                        "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                          Interesting. I guess that I didn't see the witches that way at all. I took them as a reference to Macbeth, similar to all of the Hamlet, A Winter's Tale, and Henry V comments. If anything, the witches may have represented the late 14th century view of witchcraft, but I'm not sure that the writers were aiming at anyone in the modern audience.
                          I'm with you there... They are so obviously caricatures.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
                            I'm with you there... They are so obviously caricatures.
                            If anything they were caricatures of caricatures.. with the suggestion being that the stereotypical caricature of a witch that we know from Shakespeare was in fact based on the Carrionites.
                            sigpic

Comment

has it been addressed in this thread why queen elizabeth said that the doctor was her enemy?
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                                has it been addressed in this thread why queen elizabeth said that the doctor was her enemy?
                                I don't think we know. The Dr said in the episode that he hadn't met her yet - the intimation being that he meets her at some point in his own future timeline (but obviously on a trip back to a time before the events of The Shakespeare Code).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X