Doomsday (2813/213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
    Hmm, I always pictured Vetinari as looking like the Master.
    Potayto, potahto. Either way you're right, it's gotta be the goatee.

Comment

Pics, people?

Will green intelligent debates, not just those who share my views. Challenge - always.

Comment

Found this pic while hunting around. Looks fairly good, although I don't know that Vetinari has ever worn a skullcap like that.

And over on the Discworld casting site they even have suggestions on actors who'd be good for the role. I always pictured him as being very thin, though.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCaz
          And wasn't there something between Tom Baker's Doctor and the assistant? Or so I hear told from my parents.
          Romana 2 and the Doctor has to be my favourite ship for the series, much preferred to the Rose/Doctor stuff, even though it isn't as in your face.

Also the actors had quite a bit of say about what went on in the scripts (much to the annoyance of script writers, at least in Toms case). Lalla Ward has said in an interview how the scripts were sometimes so bad that she'd go through them with Tom, rewriting them as they go.

Oh and for a little laugh and insight into how some saw the relationship at the time, go to http://www.dwwa.net/dr4/misc.htm and download the prime computers wav.
          Last edited by Jax; 21 July 2006, 06:37 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

I loved this episode. I haven't always liked Rose in this series as I think she lost a lot of her charm and innocence from the first series - this time round it felt too much like she was joyriding through space. The ending was heartbreaking though - she did love him and as RTD says, he loved her. Personally I have no problem with that. They were never going to get married, get a mortgage and have lots of little time babies (yikes!) but I have no qualms about him having the capacity to love someone. I don't even see it in a sexual attraction away. He just deep down loved her. RTD has said that he wanted to make sure that people were watching the show that normally wouldn't watch sci-fi - namely women and children. The relationship between the Doctor and Rose and having the companion as so important was part of that. I thought it was clever of Russell to have the Doctor say but not say that he loved her - we knew what he meant but he didn't want to explode too many people's heads.

I liked the bride turning up at the end because that's the ethos of the show - companions go but the story goes on. And The Doctor's reaction was priceless.

A couple of other things...People have been saying where was the military, well I think that had a lot to do with budget. The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit sucked up a huge chunk of the budget for the series, factor in all the CGI shots of Daleks and Cybermen and I don't think there'd be much left for hiring military vehicles. Russell always says they have to do a couple of cheap episodes so as to avoid blowing their budget.

And Cyber-Yvonne? (Torchwood spoiler ahead)

Spoiler:
            Rumour has it she will be in one of the episodes of Torchwood so likely much more will be explained then.
            sigpic
            by Kaaatie

Comment

Cyber Yvonne??

Will it be Yvonne or the cyber version, do excuse my ignorance at times but did't she get sucked into the rift with the cybermen and the Daleks, or is the Torchwood series set before then or in a parralel earth???

Im confused
              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                Cyber Yvonne??

Will it be Yvonne or the cyber version, do excuse my ignorance at times but did't she get sucked into the rift with the cybermen and the Daleks, or is the Torchwood series set before then or in a parralel earth???

Im confused
                Since Yvonne never travelled to other universes, she would only be sucked in if the material of her cyber body came from the other universe. Otherwise, she's wandering the halls of Torchwood somewhere, muttering about Queen and Country and giving the security guards a fright.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Wouldnt it be great to see an episode where rose meets up with the doctor of her new dimension and they take on the daleks. It would rock if it was an old doctor too.

Originally posted by farcue
                  "You're the last man alive John"
                  "What about tayla?"
                  "Shes dead."
                  "What about ronan?"
                  "He's dead, they're all dead."
                  "Not Carter?"
                  "Gordon bennet, they're dead john, john they're dead, they are dead."
                  "Are you trying to tell me everyones dead?"

Comment

Originally posted by doylefan22
                    RTD has said that he wanted to make sure that people were watching the show that normally wouldn't watch sci-fi - namely women and children.
                    Did he? I kind of find that insulting, I understand most women have a thing for romance but to say we would only really want to watch Doctor Who for the 'relationship' angle is well insulting to those of us who would rather not have that in our shows, scifi or otherwise. I understand it, look at DHW, how that rates is beyond me but it does. But um... since when don't kids want to watch scifi?!?!?! I understand Doctor Who not having the 'cool' buzz about it when it started, I understand but I think this new version has laid that to waste.

I didn't mind the shippy stuff, as you said it was never going anywhere, but of course some fans *new fans* wouldn't have known that, some fans still don't understand the regeneration never mind the changing of companions every other season or so.... I think some were shocked.

I am re-watching this ep now, it is screening in Australia I think I have changed my mind about Mickey, I kind of like him now, this new Mickey anyway. The other one, the annoying one LOL I really didn't see a point to him.

Also a question on the Genesis Ark, if it was built by the TimeLords, how come it had little things on the out side that the Daleks could use, they put their plunger thingies on the Ark, it looked built to take the plunger thingies.... *what are they called?*

Just a bit odd, why would the TimeLords make a prison ship for Daleks with an attachment on the outside that Daleks could use?

Does anyone know what the music was being played when the Ark opened?

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
                      Also a question on the Genesis Ark, if it was built by the TimeLords, how come it had little things on the out side that the Daleks could use, they put their plunger thingies on the Ark, it looked built to take the plunger thingies.... *what are they called?*

Just a bit odd, why would the TimeLords make a prison ship for Daleks with an attachment on the outside that Daleks could use?

Does anyone know what the music was being played when the Ark opened?
                      I'll admit to not being to much of a fan of RTD episodes. He's good at writing character drama, but after that it starts to go down hill. To tell the truth he may not be all that bad at Sci-fi either, it's just he restrains himself far too much in fear of putting viewers off. Atleast that's the opinion I get from the commentaries (his sci-fi explanations are rather cool).

As for the genesis ark, six things say Dalek about it.
                      1. Dalek boosters underneath (since when have we seen a Time lord ship with boosters).
                      2. Dalek colour scheme.
                      3. Daleks controls.
                      4. Dalek like details, that resemble the Dalek casings.
                      5. A time traveller resurrecting something via touch has only been seen to involve the Daleks, especially after Roses expo on them.
                      6. "commence awakening" is a strange thing to say about a Dalek prision.

So, there are three options that I think are possible.

1. Prop department screwed up. Instead of making something original and time lordy they made something Daleky.

2. The genesis ark was originally conceived by RTD as being totally Dalek designed and would have resurrected the Daleks in some overly complicated way. However, whether it's due to Billie Piper leaving forcing him to write an extra scene or the fact it would have "confused the kiddies" to much, he decided to make it something simpler and easier to explain. The change in script though would probably have come after the prop had been built.

3. The Daleks altered the exterior to suit their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by doylefan22
                        The ending was heartbreaking though - she did love him and as RTD says, he loved her. Personally I have no problem with that. They were never going to get married, get a mortgage and have lots of little time babies (yikes!) but I have no qualms about him having the capacity to love someone. I don't even see it in a sexual attraction away. He just deep down loved her. RTD has said that he wanted to make sure that people were watching the show that normally wouldn't watch sci-fi - namely women and children. The relationship between the Doctor and Rose and having the companion as so important was part of that. I thought it was clever of Russell to have the Doctor say but not say that he loved her - we knew what he meant but he didn't want to explode too many people's heads.
                        That's an odd thing to say on RTD's part anyway... especially about Dr Who when it has never had to rely on overt romance before to grab an audience. I don't think 7 year olds or 8 years old really care about whether Rose or the Doctor have UST. As for the ladies...

I must've been watching Dr Who for all the wrong reasons all these years... I thought it was all about cheesy plots and monsters...
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I'm in Australia, and I just saw the episode last night...

It was an awesome episode in my opinion. The battles were great, It was funny at times, and they sent Rose off brilliantly.

Of course, I felt like crying....lol. It was so so sad!!! Rose has probs been my favourite companion (Her and Sarah Jane) and to see her stranded was just so aweful. I do hope that RTD will find a way to bring her back!!!!

Even if it's in a few seasons time. I just loved the relationship the Doctor and her had. They better not do anything like that between Him and the new companion though...or i'll be very mad.

The doctor belongs to Rose...

But yeah, excellent episode. I really like Yvonne though. I know she was mean and horrible and heartless etc but she was just so cool!

If she wasn't a cyberwoman now...would you want her as a companion......?
                          If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago...

Spoiler:
                          "I miss Thor..."

Baal: He's tiny - have him squeeze through the bars
                          Teal'c: Assist us or I will squeeze you through these bars...

Oberoth: Lower your weapons.
                          Lt. Col. Sheppard: [not moving] How much lower would you like ‘em?

[Zelenka gives, in Czech, a poetic description of the rising of Atlantis]
                          Lt. Ford: You didn’t say anything that would require security clearance, did you?
                          Dr. Zelenka: Security clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamilas Arrondil
                            If she wasn't a cyberwoman now...would you want her as a companion......?
                            She's no Cyberwoman. This is a Cyberwoman!

(Spoilers for Torchwood)

Spoiler:

-IMF
                            Last edited by Madeleine; 08 October 2006, 09:33 PM.
                            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Oh, please god no. (Spoilers for Torchwood)
                              Spoiler:
                              Cyberwomen just should not have breasts. The poor girl who didn't want her fiance to see her on the big day didn't have breasts. Cyber-Jackie didn't have breasts. Cyber-Yvonne did not have breasts. Cyberwomen should not have breasts!

Just. Wrong.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Spoilers throughout for Torchwood...
                                Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                                Oh, please god no.
                                Spoiler:
                                Cyberwomen just should not have breasts. The poor girl who didn't want her fiance to see her on the big day didn't have breasts. Cyber-Jackie didn't have breasts. Cyber-Yvonne did not have breasts. Cyberwomen should not have breasts!

Just. Wrong.
                                You're assuming
                                Spoiler:
                                That she is an actual cyberwoman, note all that flesh, she's not just the brain and nerves, she's got skin and a face FCOL! If I had to hazard a guess I'd say Torchwood were trying to make their own Cyberpeople (its PC gone nuts I tells ya! )
                                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Working...
                                X