Doomsday (2813/213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HyperCaz
    And wasn't there something between Tom Baker's Doctor and the assistant? Or so I hear told from my parents.
    Tom Baker married the actress who played Romana II but that was real life not on the show.

The Doctor should not IMO be romancing his companions, not even Jack! I find it troublesome for a show that really is aimed at younger people to have a man (actor) in his mid thirtes being shippy with a girl, it feels a little icky to me. And no way were they (characters) ever equals, so that makes it even more dubious in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
      Tom Baker married the actress who played Romana II but that was real life not on the show.

The Doctor should not IMO be romancing his companions, not even Jack! I find it troublesome for a show that really is aimed at younger people to have a man (actor) in his mid thirtes being shippy with a girl, it feels a little icky to me. And no way were they (characters) ever equals, so that makes it even more dubious in my mind.
      I must have inherited delusional shipping from them although I wonder about how they played School Reunion with Sarah Jane and the Doc.

and not forgetting that in canon, the doc is 900 years old (hahaha I see the squick there). I think that in the case of Rose, he must have been expecting as some point to have to leave her because of him living longer.

Comment

I do recall Davies stating Rose would be in future episodes... so he was telling the truth, as Rose not actually being dead, can appear in future episodes.

Mattathias

Comment

YAY just poped by to post my view on this episode.

Was a great ending to the second season, the last two episode i think were "fear her" and "love and monsters" was absolutely awful but this episode was brilliant, the acting wasn't hammy as i though it may have been, and the Way it came together in the end was a nice touch, I couldn't think of a better ending for a goodbye without a death so that was nice to have everybody live happily ever after or so to speak, the Daleks were great and witty and chessy as ever and the Cybermen really got a taste of their own medicine.

But the ending with the runnaway bride was.......odd, not an ending i wanted i would have just had the screen fade away but we can't have everything i guess
          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

When have you ever known the universe to sit back and let you sulk about something?

Having the bride pop up like that emphasizes the transitory nature of the show- Doctors and Companions may come and go, but there's always another adventure waiting. And that's really just part of the larger theme of life.

Granted, it might have been interesting to see the Doctor operate alone, but I can't really blame them for rushing to fill the gap, either. And with another transitional character. Focus all the hatred on HER- she'll only be around for an ep or whatever- clears the path for the new Companion.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              And with another transitional character. Focus all the hatred on HER- she'll only be around for an ep or whatever- clears the path for the new Companion.
              Yup, was pretty smart of them to put in a sort of buffer character in the way. Hopefully that'll take the brunt of any anti backlash off of the new lass.

Will green intelligent debates, not just those who share my views. Challenge - always.

Comment

I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. I loved most of the episode, really, really loved it - and tho I guessed the sphere would include the Daleks because I was spoiled about Daleks in the episode, it was still uber-cool. Not to mention the conversation between the Daleks and the Cybermen, priceless!

However... I feel cheated about the end. Not only the entire "This is the story of how I died" only to find out "... officially in my reality" - I owuld have much preferred it to be told in a situation where Rose thinks she's going to die and then be rescued in the last minute. But also... one thing I really loved about CE's Doctor was the egde of the guilt. It wasn't just lonliness - it was guilt. In Dalek he doesn't just hate the Daleks - it's with a passion, because some of that hatred is self hatred - at least that's how I got it, or managed to figure out because I never saw the original Doctor Who. I think they would have done a better job of not just throwing him back to lonilness again, something he can jump straight out off witha new companion - but to have him also deal with the consequences of losing Rose. Since they know Billie Piper isn't coming back, they didn't have to keep Rose alive - and if she did want to come back, it could have been cool for it to be a Rose from a differnet dimension, one who never knew the Doctor.
                So all in all, I really felt like they missed it, there.

Other than that... brilliant. Especially hte Bad Wolf refernce in the end, ha!
                "Delete!"
                "Exterminate!"
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Enemyone
                  There was no real time to mobilize a large scale attack These Cybermen poped in and took over all at once my problem was there willingness to accept the ghost in the first place.
                  Plus, they popped up everywhere. Tough to mount a resistance when the armoury is full of Cybermen.

I am glad that we can finally say with confidence who would win in a fight; a Dalek or a Cyberman. Still open on that Dalek vs 50 million Cybermen, but the Daleks definitely win on trash talk.

As for the ending: Never seen The Catherine Tate Show, don't know her work in anything else, didn't find her annoying. As has been said, this is the Doctor's life: Companions come and go, but there are two constants: something is always about to go horrifically tits up and somewhere the tea is getting cold.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I'm glad we're unlikely to see rose again soon. I think the arc of her getting ever more attatched - too attatched - over the past series had been good, and then the ending, where she 'dies' was really powerful and I don't want that cheapened.

I'd be rather in favour of her being in it again in ten or fifteen years, like Sarah Jane, just the once. Possibly as an old lady played by someone else even. I'd just like to know that after rose dies, stuff happens to bring her back to life. Mickey, or her job, or the baby sister, whatever. I just find the "this is where I died" combined with the image that Jackie put in my head in Army of Ghosts of how travelling with the doctor was making rose less than what she had been is really bitter. It's good, I like it, but I think that in a decade or two I'll be ready for the image to be sweetened.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                      The Shippy thing was done to to appease the American market, which is also why it's 45 minutes long and a complete story rather than 4 or 5 30 minute episodes per story. I'm going to regret saying this but name me an American Sci Fi Show where the main male and female charcters DIDN'T ship
                      *pulls on hard hat and kevlar vest*

Stargate SG-1?

*runs away*

*runs back*

I thought this ep was brilliant. Fantastic. It made me laugh, cry, hide behind the sofa... everything I want from Dr Who. And David Tenant really can act. wow.

*runs away again*
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cvife
                        excellent episode, my only problem is that the genesis ark only
                        Spoiler:
                        contained loads of daleks, and not davros
                        Pardon me, but isn’t Davros dead? I mean, dead, dead, not just "as it suits us" dead.

The reference to Skaro, the Kaled home world of previous Doctors is a nice touch as well. I still have to wonder who the Dalek Emperor is. I recall that they killed off the too, and Davros trying to take his place or something, though it's been many years since I've seen the episodes in question.

Anyone have the answers?

Cheers

X|S
                        ~Hallowed are the Ori!~

Comment

By this time Davros, who had apparently conquered Skaro and reduced his original race of Daleks to the status of renegades, was physically reduced to a head in a customised Dalek casing. Both Skaro and the Imperial Dalek mothership were apparently destroyed by the Seventh Doctor using the Time Lord artifact known as the Hand of Omega. However, a Dalek on the bridge of Davros's ship reported that the Emperor's escape pod was being launched and a white light is seen speeding away from the ship moments before its destruction, leaving a clear route to bring Davros back in the future.
                          He'll be back
                          Hola

Hello

Comment

Yeugh, ugly little bugger isn't he. Not greatly knowledgable on the Who-verse but from the sounds of it I'm rooting for the Master to make an appearance. Preferably played by someone sexy. The Master sounds like he could be a pretty cool character if they cast him right.

Shallow? I have no idea what you're on about...

Will green intelligent debates, not just those who share my views. Challenge - always.

Comment

For some reason I keep picturing The Master as looking a lot like Vetinari from the Discworld books. No idea why...

Comment

Hmm, I always pictured Vetinari as looking like the Master.

Must be the goatee.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X