Doomsday (2813/213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reefgirl
    The Shippy thing was done to to appease the American market, which is also why it's 45 minutes long and a complete story rather than 4 or 5 30 minute episodes per story. I'm going to regret saying this but name me an American Sci Fi Show where the main male and female charcters DIDN'T ship
    The 4400. That's the only one I can think of though. It's true that it does happen in pretty much every show I watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
      The Shippy thing was done to to appease the American market, which is also why it's 45 minutes long and a complete story rather than 4 or 5 30 minute episodes per story. I'm going to regret saying this but name me an American Sci Fi Show where the main male and female charcters DIDN'T ship
      i really don't think that's the case.

if the beeb took this route without a deal in place (and it did take over a year to get to the US market - made it to Canada first), then that's a really silly business move.

following that thought, then he's destined to have nothing but female companions so he can ship with every companion.

as for american shows with no ships....Andromeda, 4400, the SGs (no need to turn this into an SG ship thread...), ST: DS9...i'm sure there's plenty more out there.
      Thanks!
      Jordan

my page
      My LJ
      From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
        as for american shows with no ships....Andromeda, 4400, the SGs (no need to turn this into an SG ship thread...), ST: DS9...i'm sure there's plenty more out there.
        DS9 had Worf and Jadzia, so I'm not sure it would qualify for the list. TNG and TOS, on the other hand would qualify easily.

The episode was fun, especially the Dalek/Cybermen banter and fighting. Surely the Earth is thoroughly aware of the existence of alien life, now.

The cyber-Yvonne bit seemed unnecessary to me, and without explanation, it felt very out of place. Perhaps if there had been a scene in which she was shown fighting against the programming prior to her last minute day-saving.

I'm assuming all of the cybermen bodies used for the few that were converted over the course of the episode were carried across the void as well, otherwise, there should have been a few cybermen, including Yvonne, still roaming about because they wouldn't have been sucked into the void. Or perhaps the cybermen will also be making a return.

I'm looking forward to the return of the black dalek. Considering his unique nature, I expect that any new batch of Daleks will be a bit different from the previous Daleks.
        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
          *****SPOILERS AHEAD*****
          5) I did like how they wrote Rose off the show. Although I don't understand how Pete Tyler happened to know where Rose would be so he could catch her. That was one lucky catch! I knew that Rose wouldn't die. I knew that the Earth would be fine. I knew they weren't going to rewrite time. All you people who argued with me last week about this can sit in your little computer chair and relish in the fact that I said on this board it wouldn't happen.
          Not necessarily, if we consider that when Rose absorbed the time vortex and saw and manipulated time and space then surely she could have fixed it so he arrived on time. It would explain why Pete wasn't immediately sucked into the void when he appeared. He just stood still.

So Rose is now working for Torchwood? How long do you give it till the first spin-off book about this?

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom
            So Rose is now working for Torchwood? How long do you give it till the first spin-off book about this?
            Oh, I hope not. I want Torchwood books, but I want them to be about JACK, dammit! Enough with the Cult of Rose!

As for the idea of Doctor Who adding ship to pander to the American audiences... I don't think they'd stoop to that level. Ship might have been added at some Suit's request, but I don't think the US market is to blame. At least I hope not. I'd hate to have to carry that taint around with me.

Comment

Yay!
              An excellent episode in so many ways.

The main one being Rose is gone.

Before I get hammered by all the Rose lovers, let me explain.

I am old. Old enough to remember a short black haired Doctor with a recorder doing battle in the London underground with robot yeti in black and white.

I watched from behind the sofa when the daleks and the cybermen came on, safe in the knowledge that they couldn't get me.

The Doctor always had assistants, sometimes two or three at a time, and there were occasional bouts of 'ship, such as when Jo decided she had had enough of travelling with the Doctor and the final scene is the Doctor walking sadly away.

But it was not the central thread of the series and they didn't constantly keep going home to mums for tea and pathos.

The whole show was about meeting strange beings on strange worlds and foiling their dastardly plots in interesting and unexpected ways.

I liked Rose. I thought Billie Piper did an excellent job, and I hope the show is a springboard to even greater things for her.

But the writers preoccupation with Jackie drove me nuts!

So Rose Tyler is no more.

Good, so is Jackie.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                My first thought about that ending scene was that the Doctor deactivated the link thingy or whatever so he didn't have to say he loved Rose, but left it to Rose to assume that was what he was going to say. Hence the whole build up to it.

But that's just my thought at first, and in the next bit he looked like he was about to say it after the link was cut off. But hey, if you don't like the shippiness just pretend that's what he did.
                Nice thoughts Jonzey...
                But unfortunately I've seen the Confidential and RTD insists that the Doctor and Rose love each other and it isn't the one sided deal that some of us would hope it is.

I'm not against other people enjoying that aspect of the show but I'm a Who traditionalist and I don't care for the Doctor romancing companions... for all the reasons incarnation no. 10 has stated in School Reunion and others.

But enough about "ship" from me...

I did enjoy the rest of episode... the whole Dalek vs. Cybermen face off was good fun...
                I wonder what will happen to Yvonne Cyberwoman... Was she already so brainwashed the first time that it was impossible to brainwash her the second time? Is this the first time in the history of the Cybermen that victims are able to fight control?
                Now, I seem to remember a classic episode in which there were 2 or 3 half completed cybermen but I don't think that counts as being the same thing.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I like happy endings, well at least in the sence that Rose didn't Die as in aaaaghh. I honestly thought rose was gone and to see pete show up at the last moment as save her was such a happy surpise. the ending was sad but a bit drawn out. I think it was one of the best eps of the new doctor who.
                  "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Ok, so the Cybermen who came through the void were sent to 'hell'. What about the Cybermen that were converted in our world? Should they still be here????
                    My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
                    Build a Dalek
                    Build a TARDIS
                    Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                    The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                      I'm assuming all of the cybermen bodies used for the few that were converted over the course of the episode were carried across the void as well, otherwise, there should have been a few cybermen, including Yvonne, still roaming about because they wouldn't have been sucked into the void. Or perhaps the cybermen will also be making a return.
                      These are my thoughts on the matter.
                      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                        These are my thoughts on the matter.

Or.....

.....the materials used to be made by them came from the other universe, and that's what made them able to be stuck in the void......

Build a Dalek
                        Build a TARDIS
                        Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                        The Police Box Website

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
                          *****SPOILERS AHEAD*****

5) I did like how they wrote Rose off the show. Although I don't understand how Pete Tyler happened to know where Rose would be so he could catch her. That was one lucky catch! I knew that Rose wouldn't die. I knew that the Earth would be fine. I knew they weren't going to rewrite time. All you people who argued with me last week about this can sit in your little computer chair and relish in the fact that I said on this board it wouldn't happen.
                          wow...you're brilliant. you guessed the outcome of a show where the goodguy always wins and mains rarely die.

what's your next trick? gonna fake out a dog by not throwing a stick?
                          Thanks!
                          Jordan

my page
                          My LJ
                          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I don't find the ship unneccessary - or at least the friendship. It's what makes Rose human to become that close to the Doctor, even if he didn't reciprocate those feelings. As to the focus on the assistant, any TV producer wants the audience to relate to some of the characters, while leaving the vast majority of the unknown still in the plots.

And wasn't there something between Tom Baker's Doctor and the assistant? Or so I hear told from my parents.

I think 45 minute episodes are essential to tell a complete story. Watching the old 30 minute episodes leaves me feeling as if there should have been just a little bit more.

I guess with this way of getting rid of Rose, it puts her back with Mickey which is how we saw her character at the beginning of the pilot. I'm assuming that eventually, if there was ship between her and the doc, Rose will get back with Mickey, even if she never forgets the doctor.

I'm not saying the Doctor is a homewrecker, but his character certainly distracted Rose from her boyfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
                              wow...you're brilliant. you guessed the outcome of a show where the goodguy always wins and mains rarely die.

what's your next trick? gonna fake out a dog by not throwing a stick?

Nope, I don't know any dogs.

I was thinking about trying to confuse the bird at the pet store by repeating words that don't exist so he can repeat them to strangers....

.....or I can just teach him curse words like I have been..........

Build a Dalek
                              Build a TARDIS
                              The Police Box Website

Comment

the ending was so sad!!!
                                it made me cry a little bit- and that's saying something!! i don't even like dr who much!
                                why did billie have to leave?! *cries*
                                NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
                                i'm never watching dr who again now i know she's not coming back! i just know i'll hate the new person now, it doesn't matter how good she is!
                                *runs away crying*
                                sigpic
                                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X