Doomsday (2813/213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobing
    Yes, I would be very interested in finding out more about the Time War, and the Face of Bo's secret etc. That stuff I find really interesting and exciting.
    Well, it's the reason why I watch scifi or in this case, Dr Who...

If I want to watch a good romance, I can watch other things... there are plenty of those around but scifi is scarce by comparison.
    I'm not saying ship can't work in scifi (eg. Firefly or BSG) but it's seldom integrated into the storyline properly... usually feels like extraneous baggage.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Small spoiler re: the next companion.

Spoiler:
      It's not going to be Catherine Tate. It will be a new character played by an actress you've already seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
        I'm trying desperatly hard not to be offended by the comments you made about the British military and the way cybermen must be weak if the British forces can destroy one.

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that no offence was meant.... any elaboration?

No offence was ment by that comment. I probably should have worded it a little differently.

The British military is a mean fighting machine. It has been one of the greatest militaries in the world since the end of WWI. They pushed back the Nazi's in Africa, and kept them at bay during their attempted invasion.

As an American, one thing I have always admired about the British and their Military has always had America's back. This is why the British have always been well loved by us Americans. Kind of funny how 200 years ago both our governments would have never guessed the friendships that would be forged between our two nations. It's a good thing that both our countries leaders woke up and realized that we are not each others enemies. Our common enemy is the French!!

On that note, I just found out today that my best friend is coming home on leave from Afganistan later this month....
        Last edited by Darkseid; 09 July 2006, 04:25 PM.
        My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
        Build a Dalek
        Build a TARDIS
        Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
        The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
          I have mixed reactions to this one. Not because it wasn't well done but because emotionally it tried to push buttons that I didn't want pushed. I thought David Tennant and Billie Piper were really good in what they had to do but I've become increasingly uncomfortable with the ambiguous romantic nuances throughout S2.

Am I so terrible that I feel relieved that Rose and the Doctor are parted? Romance aside, I'm glad that they wanted to have such a strong female lead so early on but more than once I've felt that Dr Who was becoming the Rose and Doctor show. I realise that the Doctor has always had a wide range of experiences with his companions but until now, I have never felt that anyone of them has "usurped" his place as the impetus on the show. I can guess why they did it... perhaps to help fans transition from Eccleston to Tennant... but I'm more interested in finding out more about the Time War and what that did to the Doctor emotionally than I am about how Rose is burning a candle for the Doctor.

Like Shadow, I'm really looking forward to this new companion... she sounds refreshingly brusque. I've missed the antagonistic companion. I'm not familiar with Christine Tate's previous outings so I'm happy to take her as she comes. I like the way she was introduced... so suddenly... but so typical of Doctor Who. The Doctor always moves on... or is forced to move on by circumstances. Great stuff!

Now, when are we going to see the Face of Boe again?
          Testify!! Preach on sister!!!

I think Boe may show up next season. Just a feeling....
          My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
          Build a Dalek
          Build a TARDIS
          Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
          The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

I rather liked this ep.

I was so hoping that at some point one of the super double secret daleks would shout 'Khaaaaaaaaaaaaan' when Dalek Khan got sucked thru the hole.

Really got a giggle out of the Queer Cyberman for the straight Dalek...'the daleks care nothing for elegance. this is obvious.'

The genesis ark was a pleasant surprise. After all the banter previously about the contents, I'm was happy that it turned out to be a simple prison ship and not some super weapon to turn the tide for the daleks that must then be written to fail or something like that.

I really loved that the transformation of Yvonne had no effect on her. Would love to see her be Torchwood's in house Cyberman, a cameo every now and then. Thought that was a nicely played piece of irony.

Glad to see at least one dalek survived, but hopefully they don't make an appearance next season. They need to take the time to develop new history and adventures (hopefully not earth-centric) for the Doctor.

Hopefully a few cybermen somehow survived as well. I mean hey, as noted, we just saw them get sucked up...but not into the void hole. I'd really love to see a story where proper Cybermen meet Cybus Cybermen.

I'm really quite satisfied with the resolution for Rose. She got to say what many had been dreading and the Doctor was left in ambiguity.

Really looking forward to next season.

Catherine Tate....where is the vomit smiley when you need it. Apparently I won't be heartbroken if I miss the Christmas special.
            Thanks!
            Jordan

my page
            My LJ
            From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
              No offence was ment by that comment. I probably should have worded it a little differently.

The British military is a mean fighting machine. It has been one of the greatest militaries in the world since the end of WWI. They pushed back the Nazi's in Africa, and kept them at bay during their attempted invasion.

As an American, one thing I have always admired about the British and their Military has always had America's back. This is why the British have always been well loved by us Americans. Kind of funny how 200 years ago both our governments would have never guessed the friendships that would be forged between our two nations. It's a good thing that both our countries leaders woke up and realized that we are not each others enemies. Our common enemy is the French!!

On that note, I just found out today that my best friend is coming home on leave from Afganistan later this month....
              Ok! No worries then, sorry, I just get a bit edgy when I think people are insulting our military, I'm rather fond of them .

Excellent news on your best mate btw!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It wasn't so much the military comment that got me (although it did annoy me rather a lot) it was the comment that "the episode fell flat for anyone with more than fourteen brain cells."
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I liked the ep and the last time I checked, I had a LOT more than fourteen active braincells.

Comment

Same here, sometimes you just have to suspend your disbelief and enjoy it

Comment

Yeah more than fourteen braincells and i enjoyed it.

Comment

I didnt get a chance to watch the program till yesterday when i got off work. It was pretty good. One can tend to over think the obvious though and get worked up over small things. There was no real time to mobilize a large scale attack These Cybermen poped in and took over all at once my problem was there willingness to accept the ghost in the first place. But no bother, still managed to get the point accross that if anything only small battles would take place nothing large scale. besides the doctor took care of most of that rather quickly.

now with the cyber chick "I did my best for Queen and country" the thought i had was what the technician said in Army of Ghost. The bit about having psychic training it might have played a role here.

Gonna miss rose, i dont mind shiping when nothing ever comes of it. I mean come on she couldnt even touch him most likely she will never see him again If she was ever going to say it that was the time. One better she didnt even get to hear it back pretty fitting. Getting worked up over shipping is pretty funny considering when you have two people working together that often, that closely some sort of relationship will develop and with all the shipping in this series you never once saw anything come of it. Its really funny to see how worked up people get over this stuff though I watched two mates yelling at each other over this subject at the end of season 1.

overall 9.5/10 only marking it down slightly becasue come on we had the same villian last season final
                        The enemy has spoken

Comment

Wow that was amazing, i loved the part when the darlek said "it is mearly pest control" hahha made me lmao.

Not sad bout rose going away coz
                          Spoiler:
                          she is back in the christams episode

Comment

Cam, sorry but, she isnt.

As for the "fourteen braincells" thing, I kind of resent that, I hate dumb sci-fi, and Who is one of the most intellegent, Doomsday was no exception IMO. I also hate emotonless sci fi, and so while I think the shippy thing should have been more toned down, it really didnt bother me
                            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

My first thought about that ending scene was that the Doctor deactivated the link thingy or whatever so he didn't have to say he loved Rose, but left it to Rose to assume that was what he was going to say. Hence the whole build up to it.

But that's just my thought at first, and in the next bit he looked like he was about to say it after the link was cut off. But hey, if you don't like the shippiness just pretend that's what he did.

Comment

The Shippy thing was done to to appease the American market, which is also why it's 45 minutes long and a complete story rather than 4 or 5 30 minute episodes per story. I'm going to regret saying this but name me an American Sci Fi Show where the main male and female charcters DIDN'T ship

Comment

Working...
                                X