No announcement yet.

Doomsday (2813/213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was funny as an episode because of the Daleks vs. Cybermen.
    Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

I think this was a sad episode, because I loved Rose and the Doctor. It's really sad to see Rose go. =( I cried. Heh...
      I love Sparky. =)

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
        1. The Cybermen and Dalek insults. I enjoyed that both groups had vocabularies this time, but I laughed at the metal creature throw down. We now know that Daleks are better at put downs and verbal jousting. What's next Shakespeare?
        http://www.doctorwho.co.uk/drwho_mai...thedalek.shtml

ETA: Nads. That page doesn't have the proper synopsis and is therefore meaningless. What it should say is:

The Doctor has always admired the work of William Shakespeare. So he is a little surprised that Charley doesn't hold the galaxy's greatest playwright in the same esteem. In fact, she's never heard of him.

Which the Doctor thinks is quite improbable.

General Mariah Learman, ruling Britain after the Eurowars, is one of Shakespeare's greatest admirers, and is convinced her time machine will enable her to see the plays' original performances.

Which the Doctor believes is extremely unlikely.

The Daleks just want to help. They want Learman to get her time machine working. They want Charley to appreciate the first ever performance of
        Julius Caesar. They believe that Shakespeare is the greatest playwright ever to have existed and venerate his memory.

Which the Doctor knows is utterly impossible.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Cybermen vs. Darleks
          more like
          Darleks killing the Cybermen.

The 4 didn't need the army. They could have taken out the Cybermen all by themself.

I love the Scene when the Darleks and Cybermen first encounter each other.
          Darlek: Identiffy yourself
          Cyberman- Identiffy yourself
          It was not going to end.
          Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
          Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
          new enemy of the Ori
          At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

It's Da-lek. Please. There's no r in Dalek.

Cybermen have better snarks (for the most part) but yeah, the Daleks are better at killing.

Comment

Was a great episode, but it was very sad to see rose go I cried when they said there goodbye's. I enjoyed the episode very much.

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
              Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
              http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                Yes, and I understand your point, but I wanted five minutes of closure. I agree that it would not be fun to watch thirteen episodes of the Doctor musing "Why Me?" I just wanted him to find the bride the next morning or after lunch. The guy needed a good cry not some confused lady in white.
                While it's been a while since this was posted, I felt I had to say that while you or I might be the better for a good cry, it seems to me that the Doctor's grieving process is such that some confused lady in white is definitely the better thing for him.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Ok, it me forever to reply too.

I've been able to rewatch Doomsday several times now, and while I can accept the ending, I still think the Doctor is asked to move too fast.

If anything, this constant high-stakes change will lead to his
                  Spoiler:
                  rejection of his travel and rescue the universe lifestyle
                  if the spoilers for Human Nature are to be believed.

In reality, people constantly forced to give their all burnout, and the ending of Doomsday day does not bode well for the Doctor. He will not be the lovable Doctor from the Christmas Invasion and may start channeling his darker, moodier 9th incarnation (something I can stand and even enjoy but don't always miss).

I'll be curious to see if my view changes once I've seen the Runaway Bride and the new series. I didn't like the end of Series 27 until I realized that I like the 10th Doctor better than the 9th. Now, I enjoy the drama of the regeneration and the humor of the Doctor's personality change. We'll have to see.
                  "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I'm sorry to come so late to this discussion/review -- I'm sure many earlier posters have long since forgotten about this thread -- but having only just finished the season 2 DVDs, it's all quite fresh to me. Given that I'm not a terribly serious Doctor Who fan (having dropped off at Peter Davidson; in fact, it was only my local PBS station broadcasting the newer stuff [the new season 1] that got me, eventually, back into the Doctor Who universe), I nonetheless think this was a significant and appropriate end to the season. It may be that things were a little over-long or over-wrought at points, but I think it was still quite warranted for the Doctor to shed a tear or two.

This is how I see it (acknowledging up front that there may be filler events in the twenty or so years since I last watched that may contradict this): Rose was the first significant companion for the Doctor since the last Time War (my assumption being that the Time War occurred in the 15 years DW was off the air, books and audio notwithstanding). This was a changed Doctor from earlier times, and when he encountered such a compatible spirit -- often described by Russell T Davies during the first series as "the Doctor's equal, if not, in some areas, his better" -- it is understandable that he could have a greater emotional attachment.

Then, after two (TV time) years of gallivanting across the universe, the two are separated by forces beyond either's control. I can see how the Doctor might be distraught to the point of some tears at the loss of such an in-sync companion: after the loss of his people, finally finding someone who "gets" him -- particularly after taking in the time vortex in "Parting of the ways" -- only to have the loneliness facing him again when that someone is gone with the likelihood of never being heard from again. Perhaps the 9th Doctor wouldn't have shed a tear -- CE's portrayal was that of the hurt, closed-off Doctor still wandering time -- but DT's Doctor was warmer and more open (again, perhaps because of events in "Parting"). And, of course, Rose was utterly devoted to the Doctor, throughout both series; tears would have been there even without the "I love you" admission.

I recall one companion departure from years ago: Tom Baker's Doctor was summoned to Gallifrey and had to drop off his companion (I don't recall who; I just remember some of the dialog) before going on. That Doctor was morose at the parting, and he wasn't even the last Time Lord at that point. Heck, maybe he even got a little misty; who can say? Nevertheless, it shows that even back then the Doctor became attached to the people he traveled with, and as others had said, love can have multiple forms. Given his involvement in and guilt (survivor's or otherwise) following the last Time War, if Rose truly was an equal spirit, then he could have felt the loss more keenly than at other times in his life. Isn't that worth a tear?

All told, I did find it to be a very moving and significant episode. I don't know how the third series will play out -- after all, with the departure of Rose and her extended family, the writers had the ability to start from scratch -- but I do imagine that filling Rose's shoes was something of a challenge. (Posts elsewhere suggest that they did find some combination that works; I guess I'll just have to wait awhile and see.)

Comment

A great ep! Daleks, Cybermen and even the doctor!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenth_Regent View Post
                        I recall one companion departure from years ago: Tom Baker's Doctor was summoned to Gallifrey and had to drop off his companion (I don't recall who; I just remember some of the dialog) before going on. That Doctor was morose at the parting, and he wasn't even the last Time Lord at that point. Heck, maybe he even got a little misty; who can say? Nevertheless, it shows that even back then the Doctor became attached to the people he traveled with, and as others had said, love can have multiple forms.
                        I believe that was in fact Sarah Jane Smith... the previous companion who returned in season 28's School Reunion episode.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                          I believe that was in fact Sarah Jane Smith... the previous companion who returned in season 28's School Reunion episode.
                          I thought it might be, but wasn't certain. I remember that she was dropped off in the wrong place, which was a line in "School Reunion." But given the way the TARDIS works, that almost could have been anyone...

Comment

Doomsday is a great ep. Battles and lots of cool stuff.

Comment

Oh God, Doomsday - I haven't watched it properly since it aired! It's too sad!

I set up a petition to reunite the Doctor and Rose, please sign if you agree:

http://petitiononline.com/rosie111

Comment

Ooops these are not proper Who Cybermen but Cybermen made by humans on a parallel Earth. The proper ones from Mondas might have stood a chance and adapted to the Daleks.

Yvonne Hartman you are a joke. Who put this woman in charge of Torchwood? She's a joke with her happy clappy cheery attitude. It was like she was on some kind of happy pill.s

And what's with the whole "for the empire stuff" did they brainwash that into her before she took the job?

But I did like this incarnaton of Torchwood far more then the Torchwood TV series. it looked cleaner and more professional kinda. Despite the fact I do like the series itself and all the characters. I just liked the look of this Torchwood.

Howcome they had to move into squalled underground tunnels in the new show. The Torchwood Tower didn't get knocked over or destroyed. Surely Jack and Co. could have set up shop in the old building?
                                Last edited by Coco Pops; 14 May 2008, 07:48 AM.
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X