The Idiot's Lantern (2807/207)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
    David Tennant must NEVER wear a pompadour again. NEVER. AGAIN.
    Just because it made his head double in size isn't a reason to knock it.

I won't call it the worst episode of the series, but it was not my favorite.

I did like that Rose finally took initiative, but I did have to cheeer when she got her face sucked off.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

First ep of Doctor Who I've ever seen...so it's a bad one? Hmm, good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        First ep of Doctor Who I've ever seen...so it's a bad one? Hmm, good to know.
        Is that a thumbs up for the The Idiot's Lantern?

I haven't watched this episode again since its original airing and I can't remember much apart from, David Tennant's DA, Tommy's father being the "man of the house" and Maureen Lipman demanding "FEEEED ME!" It was a rather average episode, especially after the mid-series two part Cybermen story. Still, Rose losing face was rather interesting. If you liked this episode, you're in for a big treat for the rest of the series. You should definitely watch last series (27) with Christopher Eccleston as the ninth Doctor.
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
          Is that a thumbs up for the The Idiot's Lantern?

I haven't watched this episode again since its original airing and I can't remember much apart from, David Tennant's DA, Tommy's father being the "man of the house" and Maureen Lipman demanding "FEEEED ME!" It was a rather average episode, especially after the mid-series two part Cybermen story. Still, Rose losing face was rather interesting. If you liked this episode, you're in for a big treat for the rest of the series. You should definitely watch last series (27) with Christopher Eccleston as the ninth Doctor.
          No, I .....yeah, I thought it was bizarre (not in an overly good way ) So my reaction after watching it was "Huh? What's the big deal about this show?" The preview for next week's ep looked very cool though. I'll have to check that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            No, I .....yeah, I thought it was bizarre (not in an overly good way ) So my reaction after watching it was "Huh? What's the big deal about this show?" The preview for next week's ep looked very cool though. I'll have to check that one out.
            If you are in the states and have BBC America, they just started airing the series 27 episodes. They will air the third one next Tuesday at 9:00 Central time.

Also, hang in there. Doctor Who grew on me. While every now and again an episode goes too goofy, most have an excellent blend of humor and drama. In series 27, every episode from The Empty Child on was simply fabulous.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
              If you are in the states and have BBC America, they just started airing the series 27 episodes. They will air the third one next Tuesday at 9:00 Central time.

Also, hang in there. Doctor Who grew on me. While every now and again an episode goes too goofy, most have an excellent blend of humor and drama. In series 27, every episode from The Empty Child on was simply fabulous.
              *sigh* not in the states (Canada) and we don't get repeats for much of anything very often.

Comment

I *tried* to rewatch this one today, to give it a second chance. Didn't work.
                It's pretty unfortunate where this one falls chronologically, right after Rise Of The Cybermen. I will make every excuse for Doctor Who, usually, because by nature its quirkiness is so endearing. I just didn't enjoy this one, although
                I did laugh at Rose saying Jackie dated a sailor & The Doctor's response, "I'll bet she did!"
                sigpic
                David Fangirldom Times Two...Potentially Dangerous, But I'm On It.
                "You can't fly a Dalek! There's people in there..."--David Hewlett

Comment

Well that was sucky. I have only recently bought season 2 and 3 on DVD and forced myself to watch this.

It had occasional good moments but a layer of suckiness on top which ruined any potential fun.

Was it intentional to make people think of "Little shop of horrors" when the Wire thing said "feed me" or was that just dumb coincidence?

Actually on that that had to be one of the lamest Dr. Who vilains in recent history. IMVHO

The ending with the Doctor putting the Wire into a Betamax cassette and just glibly saying "I'll just tape over it" to get rid of her. That was just over the top sucky. This episode and "Love & Monsters" shall forever remain in my horror pile. The pile that reads:
                  "Shows never to be watched unless I'm stone drunk or almost comatose"

OK picky bits. Or rather one really dodgy bit that cheesed me right off.

How in the hell did that guy make a portable TV with small screen from 1950's technology? It's not like you had massive ammounts of transistors frreely available back in 1953 or intergrated circuits. And where did that small screen come from. You would still have needed triodes, pentodes, and large discrete components. I don't think modern semiconductors were that readily available. My biggest grip was the screen. Where the blazes did that come from?

Oh and just where in the TARDIS was that scooter parked?
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

There's probably a whole room full of scooters and bikes and segways and hoverboards and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      There's probably a whole room full of scooters and bikes and segways and hoverboards and whatnot.

There probably is.....

But I gather that the TARDIS interior in this incarnation is a descending cylinder is it? From the scene in the Christmas Invasion in the wardrobe room I got the impression the rooms all descend along a spiral staircase of sorts.. Which you see in the wide shot of the scene.

Although I imagine to get the scooter he prolly teleports it rather then hike up a staircase with it.

Oh and if you can get the chance have a go on a Segway they are AWESOME fun to ride.

Comment

Umm... No, I'm pretty sure the TARDIS contains all kinds of rooms, hallways, mountain ranges and whatever else it wants that we simply never see, which is one of the reasons why some of us were spinning out ideas for an ep based entirely within the TARDIS.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          Umm... No, I'm pretty sure the TARDIS contains all kinds of rooms, hallways, mountain ranges and whatever else it wants that we simply never see, which is one of the reasons why some of us were spinning out ideas for an ep based entirely within the TARDIS.

And where are these ideas? Is there a thread?

And yeah that was just my observation. The wardrobe room seemed to be contained in a small round room with a staircase going up and one going down... Just looked interesting and made me want to speculate on what the interior was all about.

Comment

It's mixed into the Poison Sky thread although Merlin's_Legacy did start a TARDIS- ep idea thread where stuff is/was being kicked around.

Comment

I just watched this epsode again the other day.

Not one of my favourites, and not one of the good ones this series. My all time favourite has to be "Girl In The Fireplace"..

This one just sucked.

lame resolution.

As for Magpie how does he make that gadget in 1953?

Comment

I hated this one. The "Feed Me!" thing was to over the top for me. Also, why did it need peoples faces anyway?
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Working...
                                X