Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
    Y-e-s got that.

I don't get how anyone can see this episode as anything more than just a bit of fun, I can't believe how many people said they cried I laughed it was a funny episode. What was so teary about it anyway?

As for what TPTB say about the ep, well they would say that wouldn't they because otherwise there would be a revolt. Doesn't mean they weren't going for that impression. I mean why use those words in particular? It was a nod and a wink.

It had some funny parts...but it was SO SAD.
    How could you laugh at her being dead after the Doctor said he'd be right back? Where's your heart?
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

This was such a sad and moving episode with some wonderfully funny moments. It's just become my fave one yet over the Empty Child.

Will green intelligent debates, not just those who share my views. Challenge - always.

Comment

Well, I have to say that this was my favourite S2 episode so far (I still have the remainder of the season to watch).

I had a quiet chuckle to myself when I heard the name Reinette because I've just finished reading Rosalind Laker's To Dance With Kings - all about the same characters/time period. So that immediately perked up my interest.

But there was so much to love. Loads of hilarious moments and lines - too many to quote, though some of my favourites have already been used by other posters. Adored Arthur and enjoyed Mickey and Rose wandering around on their own getting into trouble.

I have no clue who Sophia Myles was - although she looked familiar - but I thought she did a superb job in the role. And what a beautiful, smart, witty script - especially in the dialogue she and the Doctor were given.

The masque robots were very creepy, I found - possibly because I've always found dolls or doll masks very spooky. Used to have nightmares about them as a child. <shudder>. The revelation that the crew had been used as spare parts was also very chilling.

I loved the portrait of Reinette appearing behind the TARDIS as it left and the reveal of the ship's name was the perfect ending.

Towards the end though I started to get a little confused. Reinette seemed keen to go with the Doctor when he told her to pack a bag - so I was confused when she then hared off to Paris instead. Was more time supposed to have passed in between the Doctor leaving and coming back for her? Why would she change her mind in just seconds? It made even less sense when her letter - apparently written when she left for Paris - talked as though it had been written from her deathbed. She certainly wasn't 'weak' when she left in her carriage.

Secondly - who was the 'footman' who knew the future? He was talking about her dying at 43 as he watched her leave in her carriage for Paris, how 'illness took her in the end'. If he was just a footman of the period, how could he know these things? If he was supposed to be something more than that - what was he? And when did they tell us who he was and how he knew? I've only seen the episode once, so may have missed the answer.

I'll have to watch it again and see if those questions are answered. But in the meantime, this was just a terrific episode, beautifully written and acted, with a sharp script. In turns, funny, poignant and scary.

Loved, loved, loved it.

Albion
        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I always thought that the carrige at the end of this episode was the coffin and that she had been returned home for a final farewell then was taken to be laid to rest in her own grave????

I could have thought wrong but until now i just assumed that's how it ended
          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

^Yup, she died and the carriage was taking her to be buried. Still love this episode, DT did a fantastic job at the end.
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I've seen all of season two, and I thought that this was the best just above Doomsday and Age of Steel and The Satan Pit - which were in my top awesome 4.
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Thanks those who answered my questions - yes, you're absolutely right. It finally occured to me to check out the transcript of the episode and all became clear!

I'd watched this one on a download, and the quality was such that it wasn't clear enough to let me see that a/ the man talking to the Doctor wasn't the servant from earlier (the one who told the Doctor Reinette's full name back at the start) as I supposed, but actually King Louis. And b/ that the 'carriage' leaving Versailles was in fact a hearse carrying Reinette's coffin. I had assumed from the glimpse I got that it was just a carriage taking her away and she was still alive.

And because I hadn't realised it was King Louis he was talking to and not the footman the importance of the line "So many years since I saw you last, yet not a day of it on your face.' didn't register with me either.

Now that I've figured all of that out, everything makes sense and I'm struck by just how much more poignant the ending was from what I'd previously realised.

What a truly great episode! The addition of realising how much angst there is in the final five minutes or so, just makes it all the more powerful for me.

Superb.

Albion

PS Thank heavens for transcripts!
                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Yes it did have the finest story to it, the angst was great and the ending was done in my mind as one of the best, it just ends quietly with the Tardis fading away to reveal the painting of Reinette behind it, leaving behind a quiet and empty space station rounded the feeling up, but they had to show the name of the ship.....we'll probably never find out fully but it's a nice end.
                  For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

This, above all Season Two eps, is my faveourite. I just love the story is in this one.
                    Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                    LOVE HIM-> DT
                    ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

This episode for me isn't the ususal episode that i would prefere or should i say rush home to watch, but having nothing to do that time i watched and was hooked, the story was brilliant and the mystery was compelling, not being a history buff as such i never really had a thing for men wearing wigs and so so in this era but the episode both in the future and past was done very well, for a sci fi show to impress me or suprise me is rare and Dr Who did it with this episode just sloted in between an ongoing storyline that was back on earth with the school and the bad guys that were Cybermen that followed, this episode wa a little gen in the chaos of episodes and will now always be a favourite

Comment

I can't say I was particularly keen on this one. As good as the story was the characterisation was completely off. Rose, who previous episode was utterly jealous of Sarah Jane and certainly didn't want Mickey there, was suddenly totally happy with his presence and didn't mind in the slightest that the Doctor was paying a lot of attention to Reinette. The Doctor, who previous episode had struggled to show how much he really cared for both Rose and Sarah Jane, was suddenly acting like a love sick puppy around Reinette. I found those inconsistencies really jarring. Moffat was apparently told nothing of what had come in the episode before his and admits he would have written things differently had he seen it.

And nothing was made of the Doctor's decision to leave - he stranded Mickey and Rose there and if he didn't make it back they would have died. She should at least have questioned him about it, mentioned she was worried he was never coming back, at least subtly hinted that she was scared or angry but there was nothing.

Oh and would he really be so stupid as to tell Madame to wait two minutes while apparently he went and did nothing, having previously seen that even a few moments on our side means many months pass on the other - how come he didn't realise she would be waiting years?
                        Last edited by doylefan22; 22 August 2006, 10:50 AM.
                        sigpic
                        by Kaaatie

Comment

I'm in agreement too. I loved this episode. Not much to say, I think the above posts of those who loved it say it well.

Comment

I've read biographies of Marie Antoinette, and her envy of Madame du Pompadour - her accomplishments, her charm, her wit. A fitting consort for a king - or a time lord. A very enjoyable episode.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              The. Doctor. Did. Not. Kiss. Her!

Seriously, she kissed him, not the other way around. He was all happy about it because of the fact that it was Madame du whatsherface, not cause he particularly enjoyed it.
                              But the good doctor did enjoy her kiss! This was a romantic story after all. I have to add that those robot things were downright menacing looking in their costumes! Overall an enjoyable show!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
                                But the good doctor did enjoy her kiss! This was a romantic story after all. I have to add that those robot things were downright menacing looking in their costumes! Overall an enjoyable show!
                                Agreed. She kissed him, but he wasn't fighting her off. I'm not having a problem with the Doctor's romantic side so far. Sarah Jane was from his past; Rose may or may not be attached to him; and I think this episode was the Doctor trying to move past his feelings for Rose since she brought Mickey along.

As you can tell, I liked the episode.

Pros:

1. I thought the episode was well written, mostly. I enjoyed the Doctor's relationship with the heroine of the week. It was nice to see that she could recognize the Doctor's virtue without turning into Queen Victoria and exiling him. (It's probably good that she didn't spend much time with Rose then.)

2. Rose was used sparingly. I loved her in Series 27, but in Series 28, she is becoming annoying. I know the spoilers about her, so I'm sure that my reaction is what the writers are wanting. However, I liked that she was less annoying and somewhat helpful this week.

3. The episode was filmed well. We jumped at the monster under the bed too. I also loved the ending and seeing the Doctor's emotions.

Cons:

1. While I'm thrilled that Mickey wasn't annoying and was somewhat helpful, does he do anything other than amuse Rose?

2. The glitch at the end bothers me after reading Shadow's post. I agree. I find it a bit careless to leave her knowing that time is passing in her world with a "stay there" command. Then again, the Doctor was rather excited, and while lovable, he does have a bit of the classic absent-minded professor about him.

Overall, it is a great episode worth seeing without all of SciFi's crappy commercials. 9/10.
                                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Working...
                                X