Tooth And Claw (2802/202)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billz
    Did anyone understand what The Doctor was shouting when he was hitting the Tardis controls with hes hammer? The sound on my TV isnt very good so I didnt quite hear it right.
    The transcript

- I don't know if that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
      The transcript

- I don't know if that helps?
      Not really. It just says he shouts but not WHAT he shouts.
      Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by Billz
        Did anyone understand what The Doctor was shouting when he was hitting the Tardis controls with hes hammer? The sound on my TV isnt very good so I didnt quite hear it right.
        He didnt really shout anything in particular. It's just sort of "AHHHHHH-AYYYYYY!" The only actual words at that point are the lyrics to "Hit Me With My Rhythym Stick."
        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Probably "hit me with your rythm stick. Hit me*doosh* hit me*doosh*
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Am I the only one who didn't have any problem with the monks? It made perfect sense...these guys pretty much worshiped the being that took over that guys body. They used to be monks...but fell into worshipping this alien and are its guardians during the times it's most vulnerable. (daylight, etc..)
            It feels good to be alive.
            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
              Am I the only one who didn't have any problem with the monks? It made perfect sense...these guys pretty much worshiped the being that took over that guys body. They used to be monks...but fell into worshipping this alien and are its guardians during the times it's most vulnerable. (daylight, etc..)

I liked the Monks myself. I didn't see anything wrong with them. Maybe they got a little Hollywood at times, but I think that was mostly to appeal to mainstream Americans.

Other then that, I really liked them.
              My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
              Build a Dalek
              Build a TARDIS
              Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
              The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

I'm afraid this one fell a bit flat for me. The first episode I haven't really enjoyed so far. (I'm a new convert, seen S1 and now up to T&C in S2). The whole werewolf thing was boring - but that's a very personal dislike and not really something I can get at the show for. I just never have found Sherlock Holmes interesting and this was just a rerun of Hound of the Baskervilles, when all was said and done. Also, I hate all this running around in the dark of night so you can't see what's going on business. So it wasn't going to...er...amuse me.

I didn't find the constant attempts by Rose to get Victoria to say she wasn't amused funny - in fact I was right with the Queen when she snapped about them finding the situation amusing. Given all that was going on, good men dying etc, I found Rose's attempt to get this out of the Queen inappropriate and a little purile. In fact, generally speaking, I found the sacrifices made by those who fought the wolf and died to be dealt with pretty lightly by the episode and I'd have liked to have seen more poignancy there. Instead, it was just skimmed over.

And even though I despise the Royals, I didn't find the conversation at the end amusing either. I thought it could have been written far sharper and with much more wit.

Things I did like:

Queen Victoria. It was lovely to see Pauline Collins back on screen (some may remember her as the incorrigible maidservant Sarah in Upstairs, Downstairs, among other things). I think the poster who said she was trying to channel Judy Dench just isn't aware that the two have very similar on screen personalities, accents, ways of speaking. I don't think PC was channelling JD, that's just her natural way of speaking, mannerisms etc. Both actresses come very much from the same school of acting.

I loved the fact that she was portrayed as having a sharply witty tongue and not as dour as historical cliche often portrays her.

And I thought the CGI wolf was very well done. Certainly looked the part.

In the end though, the plot was never going to be interesting to me and that's just how it is. Not something the show can be blamed for, just a matter of personal taste.

So...on to School Reunion. Hoping for better, although - even though I really enjoy seeing Mickey and Jackie - I'm getting a little tired of almost every second episode being set back on Earth. I need more alien planets, guys! Still, I have the rest of S2 to watch yet. Here's hoping!

Oh and for those who thought the kung fu monks in red pyjamas were out of place - I got the impression that was precisely the intention by TPTB. That they wanted to mark them as being out of the norm, given them an almost mystical element for the locals, servants etc. Sadly, I'm also no fan of kung fu monks, so I didn't find them remotely interesting. Another reason for the episode falling flat. And also...puhlease can we stop with the Matrix effects now? I swear if I see another show doing that I'll scream. It is sooooooooo over. Cliche Central by this point. It's embarrassing they're still aping that movie in their fight scenes.

Albion
                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                  I didn't find the constant attempts by Rose to get Victoria to say she wasn't amused funny - in fact I was right with the Queen when she snapped about them finding the situation amusing.
                  I've got to agree with you on this one. It would appear that Rose has seen a few too many movies.

I did like the inception of Torchwood.
                  sigpic

Comment

I liked the show, but banishing the Doctor after he saved your life not right
                    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I'm in the minority tonight. I love Dr. Who, but that episode was dreadful.

Pros:

I enjoyed DT as the Doctor again, and his mannerism helped make the time go by. Too bad, he was the only piece of the show worth watching.

Cons:

Rose. Rose. and uh, Rose. She was annoying, childish, and incredibly stupid tonight. Her behavior was inappropriate, and she kept saying stupid things like "werewolves cool!" when people were dying. Are we sure that Cassandra still isn't in possession of the body?

The Kung Fu Monks. They were out of place. I immediately thought of Galaxy Quest's "Does the rolling help?" when I saw them.

The Victorian Theme isn't my favorite. I didn't like it last season, and I don't like it this year either. It was careless to return to the time so soon again when the entire universe awaits.

The "evil" alien. The character had no reason to exist besides giving the Doctor an excuse to be there. How did he get to earth? Why did he die so quietly? Perhaps the best parts of the episode are on the cutting room floor because I did not see them tonight.

The Torchwood Ending. I liked when Victoria told the Doctor off, but the end was extremely heavy handed. All she had to say was "I may have a use for this place," and we would have gotten it.

Overall, this episode tanked. I hope they pick up, but I'm confident that they will. 3/10
                      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                        I liked the show, but banishing the Doctor after he saved your life not right
                        yes, that did seem a bit ODD, and especially right after the queen knighted them both (the Doctor and Rose!). But the Doctor seemed to be a good sport about it, regardless... like water off a duck's back - being the Queen's protector one moment and exiled from Torchwood in the next.

Because of the Kung Fu movements in the first few minutes did have me wondering if it was *really* DOCTOR WHO that we were watching. Loved the S-L-O-W..M-O action with the flying Kung Fu air leaps. That was *cool!*

Back to Queen Victoria... she seemed a bit possessed right after she realized she had the splinter in her. I say that because before that happened, she swore she'd rather die than turn into a werewolf. And when her whole personality suddenly turned against the Doctor and Rose right after knighting them both, it seemed the WOLF creature's DNA was beginning to work on her...

Made me wonder if Harriet in the "Christmas Invasion" episode also had a bit of the WOLF in her, too, when she suddenly turned secretive against the Doctor and gave Torchwood the order to
                        Spoiler:
                        blow up the alien spacecraft instead of letting it simply leave the solar system to stay away from the earth.

Originally posted by MasySyma:
                        There's always a few duds along the way, and I sort of expected most reactions to be this (I warned my husband he might not like the storyline, before he started watching it). And since it came before BSG, with some folks out there never seeing DW before, this was one of those dud eps to smack it against BSG...

Of course Sci-Fi put BSG back-to-back with DW cushioning it like book-ends!!
                        Having bad reception (and only on the Sci-Fi channel) or someone's jamming the 2nd viewing of BSG. It'd better get fixed, because that's not going to keep people willing to stay up to watch the 2nd viewing of DOCTOR WHO. Yep, it must be an alterior motive in requesting that particular problem to get resolved...
                        Last edited by SGalisa; 06 October 2006, 08:57 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma:
                          Actually, I forgot to mention that I thought even tho the subject matter might not appeal to everyone viewing, I thought it was a fairly well done episode, considering the content matter...

The music was superior quality - as has most of the newer DrWHO eps, and the special effects were amazing (love the ghost effects at the end with the light beam). I'll always enjoy those beloved "English" accents.

But what I didn't understand was the comedy bit about Rose's constant "It's NOT amusing!!" phrase. I know she was attempting to gode Queen Victoria into reacting to it, but I didn't know the why's behind its intended meanings.

And tho I read on another DW website forum that England's current Queen may actually enjoy watching DOCTOR WHO, the comments about Princess Anne, etc., being part werewolf did seem a bit aloof and strange for its actual airing thereof; and wouldn't TPTB need permission to make such a comment - with the Queen Elizabeth's approval / consent, for it to officially not be disrespectful? I thought if that were the situation, then there must be an inside royal joke somewhere in there.

One more...
                          As for the outcasting / warning for the Doctor never to return to Torchwood (which is an actual anogram or something like that for "Doctor Who"), and that the QUEEN realizes that Britain now has MANY enemies potentially beyond on all sides of its boundaries, was there more behind that comment than meets the ears...?? {think current events... sometimes these things have tendencies to overlap...}

And if not that, then the Doctor's existence as a TV - "DW" series certainly has enemies beyond the shores of England... so even if that was implied as a TV competition joke, would that seem to take on a dual statement, as well? {and if yes, try to keep in memory when this episode originally was created and aired on the BBC.} It certainly had me wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal
                            My only grumble with it was the quick fix and kung fu monks, I hope that isnt going to be a continuing theme(quick fix, not kung fu monks ).
                            Considering "The Parting of the Ways", quick-fix seems like it'll happen quite a bit.
                            Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                            Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                            -Audioslave

Comment

Funny...I thought ALL monks knew kung-fu. Oh well.

And would anyone mind explaining the Princess Anne joke to this stupid American? I mean, is she ugly? Even by British Royal Family standards?
                              Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                              I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                              What have these years left to me?
                              Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

I agree that Rose was particularly annoying in this ep. I've grown increasingly less fond of her and her behavior in this ep really struck a nerve. The "not amused" thing was funny once or twice, but by the fifth, sixth and seventh time I wanted the Queen to pull out her pistol and shoot her.

Comment

Working...
                                X